What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-second-coronavirus-stimulus-check-updates-20200720-hvyh7hhwnbegblt4nmxbh43znq-story.html

Anyone with good sleuthing skills care to take a crack at how much truth is there in this article?

"But the administration was panning the proposal's $25 billion in new funds for virus testing and tracing and insisting on the payroll tax cut, Republicans said."

Attempts to block money for testing? More importantly, is it true there's unspent money that was earmarked for testing in the CARES Act?

"Another Republican familiar with the process said about half of the $25 billion previously approved remains unspent."

Are we still at just 21 states as "outbreak"?  Seems like with 40+ more increasing volumes daily, it's time to reevaluate that number.  Unless of course, you are just doing it for consistency purposes...either way, this is a tough update to watch these days.
I definitely should go back and analyze that.  It really requires looking at every state and judging if their cases are rising or not, which is a big lift.  But maybe I'll carve out some time for that later on.  That being said, I'm almost done tracking deaths.  The only reason I started was because this thread was full of people that were making the claim that deaths were dropping while cases were rising.  Now that time has shown that this wave of infections will behave in a similar manner to other waves, I have no real desire to keep a scoreboard of deaths, when everyone can go look themselves. 

I think it's pretty clear that deaths are rising again, so I'm not so sure how much value it is for me to point that out anymore.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Osterholm's most recent podcast was basically junk as he could not have been more wishy washy on almost everything( for example he said we need to have a national policy for returning to school. Well one that allows for the local districts to make the decisions). 

But one thing he said, that I think needs to be acknowledged by everybody in advance, is that people will die when kids return to school. It happens with the flu. It happens with school buses. It happens. It is going to happen. Criticized messaging saying we can return when it is safe, because safe is a subjective term. 

I am not saying he is an advocate for returning to school right now. He honestly didnt really commit and clarifies right away he is going to make people mad for not committing. You can be fully against going back right now and still acknowledge that if we got case loads to a level on par with euro nations that still would never eliminate all child deaths due to covid if we returned to school. 

I thought Osterholm's most recent podcast was basically junk as he could not have been more wishy washy on almost everything( for example he said we need to have a national policy for returning to school. Well one that allows for the local districts to make the decisions). 

But one thing he said, that I think needs to be acknowledged by everybody in advance, is that people will die when kids return to school. It happens with the flu. It happens with school buses. It happens. It is going to happen. Criticized messaging saying we can return when it is safe, because safe is a subjective term. 

I am not saying he is an advocate for returning to school right now. He honestly didnt really commit and clarifies right away he is going to make people mad for not committing. You can be fully against going back right now and still acknowledge that if we got case loads to a level on par with euro nations that still would never eliminate all child deaths due to covid if we returned to school. 
I heard him on Rogan waaay back in March or so.  Even way back then he thought school needed to be in session because we'd need all the nurses we could get.  Not sure if I've ever agreed with his stance on school.

But yeah, I agree that clear messaging on school is required.  Going back to school WILL raise the R0 and as you say, it will cause some deaths.  If we are going to open them, we have to be prepared for that.  If a school is going to shut their doors the moment a kid gets covid, then, imo, please don't waste everyone time with the reopening.  Focus on remote learning.

I definitely should go back and analyze that.  It really requires looking at every state and judging if their cases are rising or not, which is a big lift.  But maybe I'll carve out some time for that later on.  That being said, I'm almost done tracking deaths.  The only reason I started was because this thread was full of people that were making the claim that deaths were dropping while cases were rising.  Now that time has shown that this wave of infections will behave in a similar manner to other waves, I have no real desire to keep a scoreboard of deaths, when everyone can go look themselves. 

I think it's pretty clear that deaths are rising again, so I'm not so sure how much value it is for me to point that out anymore.  
These are your numbers. Hopefully you're wrong about deaths rising and the trend continues today. 

7/14 - 744

7/15 - 713

7/16 - 717

7/17 - 742

7/18 - 632

7/19 - 324

7/20 - 404

I don't follow this thread as much as I should. What's wrong with talking about positivity rate?
Same, not sure what that means.  I would think positivity rate is one input we need to see if we should test more or if we need to consider locking certain things down.

These are your numbers. Hopefully you're wrong about deaths rising and the trend continues today. 

7/14 - 744

7/15 - 713

7/16 - 717

7/17 - 742

7/18 - 632

7/19 - 324

7/20 - 404
You need to look at week over week.  Deaths are going up - not a lot but it's concerning.

CDC data shows 6 to 24 times more people have had COVID-19 than what's showing up in official numbers. That's a huge range. 

serious question that I thought of today while wearing my mask at the gym...

is your "nose breath"TM (exhalation from your nose) as potentially infectious as your mouth breath (exhalation from your mouth)?

7/14 - 744

7/15 - 713

7/16 - 717

7/17 - 742

7/18 - 632

7/19 - 324

7/20 - 404
Thanks for pointing that out.  Definite proof of deaths rising (week over week), every single day.

serious question that I thought of today while wearing my mask at the gym...

is your "nose breath"TM (exhalation from your nose) as potentially infectious as your mouth breath (exhalation from your mouth)?
Standing upright i would vote that your nose breath is less infectious to others. 

Natural flow is downward. 

Using machines like a cross fitter? All bets off. 

Obviously makes no sense not to cover it also. 

CDC data shows 6 to 24 times more people have had COVID-19 than what's showing up in official numbers. That's a huge range. 

That would be 24M to 96M - wow. 
And wouldn't that be a good thing? We pretty much know the death count, so if the deaths are part of a much larger number of cases, doesn't that mean the chances of death are much smaller than we thought? 

They are not going up nearly as dramatically as Mr Doomsday keeps insisting will happen. 
If your only goal in this thread is to criticize others and name call, you'll eventually get another ban.  Just a pro tip, it's something you and your aliases never seem to figure out.

They are not going up nearly as dramatically as Mr Doomsday keeps insisting will happen. 
From my perspective, the problem is we are still half-pregnant.  We aren't fully opened really and we haven't gotten the cases and deaths under control.  Someone else said it best - we managed to thread the needle of doing the absolute worst job when looking at deaths + job loss + illnesses + economic impacts.  And why deaths going up is concerning is that it indicates to me we won't be fixing anything any time soon.

And wouldn't that be a good thing? We pretty much know the death count, so if the deaths are part of a much larger number of cases, doesn't that mean the chances of death are much smaller than we thought? 
just think if its really another 96 million people?  and almost all of them didn't die or even go to the hospital. pretty crazy

That would be 24M to 96M - wow. 
If you read the study, it's pretty clear that there's no way we are anywhere close to 96M. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2768834

The "24 times" will get all the press (in some circles), but that appears to be numbers from Missouri.  The researchers estimated 161k cases in Missouri, against reported cases (at the time) of 6,794.

It's possible I'm reading the tables wrong, but in no table do I read a seroprevalence of even 10%.  Of course we are probably passing that now with current case counts rising.

I would say it's good and bad - you are right it's good that the death rate is overstated - we've known this for a while but maybe it's even more than we expected?  Definitely still TBD but would help that.  On the other hand - we most likely aren't getting to herd immunity and if we determine that you can be reinfected then it's not ideal.  Not to mention a lot more cases means it will continue to spread like wildfire for the upcoming weeks/months.

For breaking news like this, you'll want to provide a link. Link 1 from STAT News, published earlier today. Link 2 from The New York Times (requires registration or sign-in with a Google account).

The NYT article is actually from June 27th. The STAT News link breaks down a recently-released "meta-study" on the same CDC data detailed in the NYT article. Of interest from the STAT News article:

The study was based on tests from more than 16,000 people across the 10 sites, but one limitation is that it relies on old data. The San Francisco samples were collected from April 23 to 27, while the New York tests were on blood from March 23 to April 1. The latest tests were conducted in May, and a lot can change during two months in the course of an outbreak. In South Florida, for example, researchers estimated that 1.9% of the population had antibodies to the virus. But that figure is based on samples collected from April 6 to 10, and given the spread of the virus since then in the state, the number now would certainly be some amount higher.

I would say it's good and bad - you are right it's good that the death rate is overstated - we've known this for a while but maybe it's even more than we expected?  Definitely still TBD but would help that.  On the other hand - we most likely aren't getting to herd immunity and if we determine that you can be reinfected then it's not ideal.  Not to mention a lot more cases means it will continue to spread like wildfire for the upcoming weeks/months.
Why would that be true? If more people have had it than expected, that means...well more people have had it.

If we can get reinfected...oof. :scared:

Why would that be true? If more people have had it than expected, that means...well more people have had it.

If we can get reinfected...oof. :scared:
Well, we would eventually get there, assuming it's even possible but I think most everyone now thinks we will have a vaccine before it comes to that.

I'm just looking for a number.  
It's an old study based on seroprevalence tests in 10 locations.  Each location gives a different number, all of which are old, and all of which are estimations.  

This isn't really a ground breaking study and we haven't really learned anything.  But that one location in Missouri which supposedly estimated 24 times the cases will garner all the headlines.

I don't follow this thread as much as I should. What's wrong with talking about positivity rate?
I will use my wife.  She has now been in contact with 3 different people who tested positive... they won't test her because she is asymptomatic.

Want to pump up "positivity rates" up for scary headlines?  Only test symptomatic people.

eta - it is a win win for fear mongering - test more and number of infected go up, test fewer (symptomatic) and the positive % goes up.  Pick and choose the headline!

Much work is also being done in parallel.

Moderna is recruiting for vaccine trial volunteers locally starting next week. This would be a Phase 3 trial, the last trial before FDA approval, licensing and manufacturing. Trial participants will be tracked for two years after receiving either the trial vaccine or a placebo. However, I don’t know whether or not the vaccine can be approved before those two years are up.
Any idea about payment for study participants? My 46 year old roommate and her son asked me. I told her there could be side-effects such as experienced by this guy who developed a 103 degree fever after receiving the high dose in Phase 1, which apparently will not be used in Phase 3. There are 2 study sites in Miami, per clinicaltrials.gov.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/26/moderna-vaccine-candidate-trial-participant-severe-reaction/
Sorry, @SoBeDad ... I had mean to come back to this.

I haven't seen any information about compensation yet. I do know the name of the local outfit conducting the study, so I may place a call or go online to see if more information is out there.

I will use my wife.  She has now been in contact with 3 different people who tested positive... they won't test her because she is asymptomatic.

Want to pump up "positivity rates" up for scary headlines?  Only test symptomatic people.

eta - it is a win win for fear mongering - test more and number of infected go up, test fewer (symptomatic) and the positive % goes up.  Pick and choose the headline!
Does anybody has a link for state by state and whether you have to have symptoms to get tested?  Most drive up test places don't seem to require it.  Any of those in Texas?

And 10% rate (roughly what Texas has) isn't that "scary".  At a very quick glance it seems like Florida leads the way around 15%.  Most seem to hover between 6-10%.  And Texas has a very low death rate.

But isn't it an important number to evaluate precisely for the reason you stated? 

If the positivity rate is really high, we probably aren't doing enough testing and our number of actually infected people is much higher than reported. That's the case in AZ - we have a 25% positivity rate. That means our actual case count is probably much higher than is being reported.

And FYI, in AZ, the state with the highest positivity rate, anyone can get a test, symptomatic or not. It just takes a LONG time for the results (I got tested 10 days ago still with no results).

Users who are viewing this thread