Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

My buddy owns a Family of pediatric Clinics (4). Just tried to order a case of masks and the order initially said 10-14 days, but then they cancelled His order :unsure: 

23 hours ago, bradyfan said:

From China CDC, # of new cases on Jan-29 0-24 hrs

Suspected cases: +4148 new  ==>  12167 total

Confirmed cases: +1737 new  ==>  7711 total

Severe cases: +131 new  ==>  1370 total

Dead: +38 new  ==>  170 total

Recovered: +21 new  ==>  124 total

From China CDC, # of new cases on Jan-30 - 24 hrs

Suspected cases: +4812 new  ==>  15238 total

Confirmed cases: +1982 new  ==>  9692 total

Severe: +157 new  ==>  1527 total

Dead: +43 new  ==>  213 total

Recovered: +47 new  ==>  171 total

Edited by bradyfan
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

From China CDC, # of new cases on Jan-30 - 24 hrs

Suspected cases: +4812 new  ==>  15238 total

Confirmed cases: +1982 new  ==>  9692 total

Severe: +157 new  ==>  1527 total

Dead: +43 new  ==>  213 total

Recovered: +47 new  ==>  171 total

Dead still exceeding recovered.

:bwih:

7 hours ago, Worm said:

Mostly Chinese fatalities? What sort of healthcare is available in the primary infection zone?

AFAIK all Chinese fatalities. No clue as to level of health care

The NY Times Daily podcast was interesting today, reporter went into the Wuhan, said many people aren't even tested, or weren't at the time.  A possible explanation is a lack of testing kits, but there is speculation there were more nefarious rationales so as not to report bad news.  Said this also corresponds with the tier of structure in China, power is in the politics there and failures can put your position and thus power and status in peril.  So the speculation was, local officials may not report up the chain to Beijing so as not to deliver bad news and they tried,  unsuccessfully, to manage or supress, (the illness and/or the news of it) locally.  

Edited by Smack Tripper

6 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

The NY Times Daily podcast was interesting today, reporter went into the Wuhan, said many people aren't even tested, or weren't at the time.  A possible explanation is a lack of tests, but there is speculation there were more nefarious rationales so as not to report bad news.  Said this also corresponds with the tier of structure in China, power is in the politics there and failures can put your position and thus power and status in peril.  So the speculation was, local officials may not report up the chain to Beijing so as not to deliver bad news and they tried,  unsuccessfully, to manage or supress, (the illness and/or the news of it) locally.  

Flawlessly logical. 

On 1/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, [icon] said:

A member of my team left for Chinese New Year on Saturday.  Her space is Deadass adjacent to mine at the office. She was sick when she left. I'll be damned if I'm letting her come into the office when she gets back Sunday.

Goodbye to Rosie, the queen of Corona

I think it's crazy you see all of these people wearing masks.  Meanwhile the healthcare professionals are claiming that masks will do nothing to stop the disease.  

So if anyone can't get a mask and is traveling, let me know, because I'm selling magic rocks that help as much as masks.

• Thinking 1

6 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

The NY Times Daily podcast was interesting today, reporter went into the Wuhan, said many people aren't even tested, or weren't at the time.  A possible explanation is a lack of testing kits, but there is speculation there were more nefarious rationales so as not to report bad news.  Said this also corresponds with the tier of structure in China, power is in the politics there and failures can put your position and thus power and status in peril.  So the speculation was, local officials may not report up the chain to Beijing so as not to deliver bad news and they tried,  unsuccessfully, to manage or supress, (the illness and/or the news of it) locally.  

Chernobyl vibe strong up in there ^

4 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think it's crazy you see all of these people wearing masks.  Meanwhile the healthcare professionals are claiming that masks will do nothing to stop the disease.  

So if anyone can't get a mask and is traveling, let me know, because I'm selling magic rocks that help as much as masks.

Someone here linked to a mask that would help.  

2 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Someone here linked to a mask that would help.  

Is it made in China?

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

Chernobyl vibe strong up in there ^

170 deaths.  Not great.  Not terrible.

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

170 deaths.  Not great.  Not terrible.

vibe coming from the lack of information being disseminated up the chain, vis a vis fear of jeopardizing positions and losing face - certainly wasn't a comparison of fatalities or imminent danger ... yet. 

10 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Meanwhile the healthcare professionals are claiming that masks will do nothing to stop the disease.  

It has to help a little bit.  But you don't really breath through the mask so it really isn't filtering.  You do probably breath in the air surrounding you more than the air away from you so it'll help a bit.  It does prevent you from transmitting your disease since your "spray" is going into the mask somewhat.  A lot of people in Asia have worn masks in the past because they were sick and they didn't want to spread it.  Neither is 100% but it'll help the transmission from going from +1.1 to -0.9.

Guy I work with had a call set with someone at Tencent. They cancelled the call and said they’d have to reschedule for some time down the road, as they’re not in the office and don’t expect to be for a while. Maybe things are worse than China is letting on. 

18 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

vibe coming from the lack of information being disseminated up the chain, vis a vis fear of jeopardizing positions and losing face - certainly wasn't a comparison of fatalities or imminent danger ... yet. 

I was just making a joke, GB.  In the Chernobyl miniseries, that was a quote that turned into a meme.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

magic rocks you say?  what are you charging for them?  Where can I order them and what is the backlog? 

ETA: I don't really care what you are charging as long as they are as effective as masks.

Edited by moleculo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

Is it made in China?

I hope your magic rocks aren't made in China.

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Guy I work with had a call set with someone at Tencent. They cancelled the call and said they’d have to reschedule for some time down the road, as they’re not in the office and don’t expect to be for a while. Maybe things are worse than China is letting on. 

I asked for someone to move some material from Shanghai to US.  This would require someone literally putting a sticker on a box and setting it outside. 

Told at best Feb 10th.  

30 minutes ago, moleculo said:

magic rocks you say?  what are you charging for them?  Where can I order them and what is the backlog? 

ETA: I don't really care what you are charging as long as they are as effective as masks.

I've actually figured out a way to help people out as quickly as possible.  Simply send me $100 in Apple Cash and I'll have someone drop the rock off in your yard within the hour.  

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Surgical masks are not really effective. N95 masks are pretty effective. So depends on what you’re wearing.

Surgical masks are really for stopping someone already infected from spreading it to someone else.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I've actually figured out a way to help people out as quickly as possible.  Simply send me $100 in Apple Cash and I'll have someone drop the rock off in your yard within the hour.  

Sorry, i dont use Apple Cash.  Do you accept Scholar Dollars?  I'll fax you $100 post haste.

17 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

At ATL. Still no one wearing masks.Goes without saying it’s packed. 

Okay, this is kind of hysterical... stopped to write this as I arrived at E Terminal, which is one of the International terminals. A group of about 15 Chinese men walked to either side of me, half wearing masks. One guy coughed into his arm, though is was an American guy trialing them, just as he passed me to the left.

Have seen thousands since I landed and those are only masks. Did have a moment with guy who like me was washing his hands like going into surgery, so at least some are very aware.

Flying to Orlando Sunday night for a tradeshow M-W that is 1.) huge, will be thousands of people there and 2.) made up of probably 65-70% Asians. As much as I want to overnight a Wuhan University t-shirt, I'm a little nervous about this one.

14 hours ago, culdeus said:

And took their livers.  For science. 

Those Chinese submarines aren't going to pay for themselves Skippy.

14 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I haven't yet read that article--but I firmly believe that most people in this thread are vastly underestimating how serious this virus is. It might not have a true day to day impact in our lives here in the US--but the information that the Chinese are releasing doesn't line up at all with the actions that they are taking.  The Chinese economy was sputtering before the virus came along--and they have effectively shut down some of their most major cities for a few weeks.  They are scrambling to build or resurrect a giant hospital in days to specifically treat the disease.    They have been disingenuous with how the disease is transmitted from human to human.  They knew that the disease was transmittable the moment doctors that were treating patients got sick but didn't say anything until much later.   I'd personally not trust any of the numbers that the Chinese government is claiming. My guess is that the number of fatalities and the number of people who have the virus is exponentially higher than what we are being told.  Just my 2 cents. 

100% agree but anyone who has at all paid attention to anything involving China over the years should realize that they aren't being truthful about anything coming out of there right now. You can probably safely double or triple the numbers and be closer to the truth than what you are hearing from China. That's the beauty of the authoritarian state, you control the dialogue. Why do you think they were reticent to allow international help in?

In Wuhan there are 11 million people and this thing is spreading like wildfire but they are saying less than .001% of the population is affected? Yet they are building 1,000 bed hospitals as quick as humanly possible to treat the populace. This doesn't really look like they have things well in hand in Wuhan.

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

bout to open an etsy store 

thanks for the idea!

I picked up a t shirt from a brewery when I was there in Sept.  Its a place called "Devils Brewery."  It has a saying on the back "Wuhan....a little different everyday"

Its pretty low key so I haven't had any comment :(

I can't imagine what would have happened if our adoption timeline had played out differently.  I guess there would be a chance we'd either be stuck there or not able to get there.  Under normal circumstances that might be okay but after being matched with our little girl then waiting to travel for 3-4 months I can't fathom not being able to get her and just hoping she was okay.    

I'm sure this is a nightmare for people adopting in China right now.  We do keep in touch with the orphanage, which is right outside of Wuhan.  So far they have been fine.  They did have masks on last time we face timed with them.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I asked for someone to move some material from Shanghai to US.  This would require someone literally putting a sticker on a box and setting it outside. 

Told at best Feb 10th.  

The Chinese government has ordered all businesses that are not necessary for every day life (grocery stores, pharmacies) to be closed until February 9th. No way that the second biggest economy on the planet basically shuts itself down for several weeks with the infected/fatality numbers that they are reporting and expecting us to believe.  Once again—their actions are not in line with their numbers.  My guess is that the numbers are probably 10x or more greater than what they are claiming. 

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, moleculo said:

Sorry, i dont use Apple Cash.  Do you accept Scholar Dollars?  I'll fax you $100 post haste.

I also accept Schrute Bucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

29 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

The Chinese government has ordered all businesses that are not necessary for every day life (grocery stores, pharmacies) to be closed until February 9th. No way that the second biggest economy on the planet basically shuts itself down for several weeks with the infected/fatality numbers that they are reporting and expecting us to believe.  Once again—their actions are not in line with their numbers.  My guess is that the numbers are probably 10x or more greater than what they are claiming. 

We'll know soon enough if the exported cases start to bloom.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tkrull said:

We'll know soon enough if the exported cases start to bloom.

Honestly—I don’t know if we’ll ever find out how bad it really is over there.  If they released anything close to accurate numbers—it would send massive fear and shockwaves through the global markets.     The rest of the world (including the US) doesn’t want accuracy at the expense of hurting our markets.  Our stock market prices are soo stretched and are priced for perfection.  Anything that puts fear in our markets could lead to a catastrophic drop.  Economically—it’s better for everybody to believe the lies that the Chinese government is saying.  With that said—some common sense should be utilized.  The numbers for our common flu are exponentially greater than what they are claiming the Corona virus is causing.  No flights were cancelled during our flu season, the government does not force our businesses closed, Mexico and Canada don’t close their borders, giant hospitals are not resurrected..etc.  You have to look at the scale of the response to gauge the seriousness of the problem—the reported numbers are garbage.  It’s very similar to how the Russians claimed that Chernobyl was not that bad a few days after the blowout.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eaganwildcats said:

One legit mask and one mask around the neck spotted thus far at Reagan national. 

absorbing the already airborne filth in the area, so, once inserted over nose - WALA!  instant karma!

####in' numb nutz 🤓

Edited by otb_lifer
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

4 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Is it made in China?

Made in Wuhan.  

15 hours ago, [icon] said:

My buddy owns a Family of pediatric Clinics (4). Just tried to order a case of masks and the order initially said 10-14 days, but then they cancelled His order :unsure: 

I was at a Target store last night and thought to look for a box of masks - sold out. So that got me thinking about it and I went to a nearby Walgreens. Sold out. So I then went online to try and find some - can't find any that aren't 50x the normal cost, at least any that can be shipped here in less than a month. So yeah, I'd say it's going to be tough for anyone looking to buy masks at this point (even though I see NO ONE wearing masks in public here in MN).

59 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I follow this guy for other things on Twitter but just so happens he is a teacher in China and has been tweeting relevant, on the ground info since this started. Few days ago he was told schools are shut down to at least Feb 18th but he was supposed to show up, kinda like teacher work days I guess. Just saw they countered that already https://twitter.com/thocpodcast/status/1222028432982315008?s=20

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soothsayer said:

I was at a Target store last night and thought to look for a box of masks - sold out. So that got me thinking about it and I went to a nearby Walgreens. Sold out. So I then went online to try and find some - can't find any that aren't 50x the normal cost, at least any that can be shipped here in less than a month. So yeah, I'd say it's going to be tough for anyone looking to buy masks at this point (even though I see NO ONE wearing masks in public here in MN).

I ordered this for my wife for her protection against the virus.  

My dog is getting his hair cut today. They always throw a nice little bandanna around his neck. Shark move here is to steal it from him and use it as my own. Take that, mask hoarders.

9 minutes ago, Jobber said:

My dog is getting his hair cut today. They always throw a nice little bandanna around his neck. Shark move here is to steal it from him and use it as my own. Take that, mask hoarders.

And then go rob a train.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vanilla Guerrilla said:

And then go rob a train.

... or pick up an Antifa chick

• Laughing 2

5 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

... or pick up an Antifa chick

ool. Only Vampire Weekend could casually work the word keffiyeh into a song about having a crush on a girl.

https://youtu.be/duvBELsM-dk

Walked to class in front of you
Spilled kafir on your keffiyah
How am I supposed to pretend
I never want to see you again

Or...hey, you Palestinian ####!  ool again.

Edited by rockaction
  • Laughing 1

WHO has some odd ideas about battling the virus

The Committee does not recommend any travel or trade restriction based on the current information available.  

Countries must inform WHO about travel measures taken, as required by the IHR. Countries are cautioned against actions that promote stigma or discrimination, in line with the principles of Article 3 of the IHR. 

Stay in your lane, WHO.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Tom Servo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

good thing i'm in Queens, RR then Uber for me ...

... but i'm sure all the folks getting brutally assaulted down the tracks will love this latest idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

ool. Only Vampire Weekend could casually work the word keffiyeh into a song about having a crush on a girl.

https://youtu.be/duvBELsM-dk

Walked to class in front of you
Spilled kafir on your keffiyah
How am I supposed to pretend
I never want to see you again

Or...hey, you Palestinian ####!  ool again.

When you don’t give an eff about Oxford commas you can do such things 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Stay in your lane, WHO.  :rolleyes:

Thomas Szasz wants a word with the WHO.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:34 AM, msommer said:

current death rate 2.3%. I think I saw a daily graph where ydays numbers showed a slight bend to the right compared to the previous days. Who knows

I'd expect it's much lower.  I suspect the death toll is going to be somewhat accurate, but the purported amount of people infected is way too low.  Just me guessing, though.

21 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

Okay, this is kind of hysterical... stopped to write this as I arrived at E Terminal, which is one of the International terminals.

My last flight was out of E last night.  If I had know I could have found a ham in E I would have looked.

21 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

Of course my flight to West Palm Beach is the very last gate at the end of one of the two International terminals in one of the busiest airports in the world. 

Damn - mine was out of the last gate in E.  At 11:45, almost the last flight out of the terminal.  Place was empty, but somehow my flight was put at the end.  I walked next to the pilots getting down there and they were #####ing about it. 

5 minutes ago, Sand said:

I'd expect it's much lower.  I suspect the death toll is going to be somewhat accurate, but the purported amount of people infected is way too low.  Just me guessing, though.

My last flight was out of E last night.  If I had know I could have found a ham in E I would have looked.

Damn - mine was out of the last gate in E.  At 11:45, almost the last flight out of the terminal.  Place was empty, but somehow my flight was put at the end.  I walked next to the pilots getting down there and they were #####ing about it. 

E1. Flight left about 5pm. I’d have liked to share shots of Purell under a sheet of plastic with you.

• Laughing 1