What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

Otis said:
Those Florida numbers are encouraging.  I mean, if Florida can get this right...

Seriously though, seems like it’s improving virtually everywhere.  Some blips with some schools having to shut down after some outbreaks, but overall is it possible we’ve turned the corner and it will be smooth sailing this Fall?
Of all the adjectives I'd use for Florida, "right" isn't one of them.  It's been more the Leroy Jenkins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! approach than anything.  

Dr Patterson has been talking about these markers since March. Crazy he was so far ahead of everyone else. 
The SARS-CoV-2 inflammatory pathway wasn’t fully elaborated by Dr. P (even RANTES had been studied in the original SARS) and there are multiple immunomodulators under investigation, including some targeting the markers discussed in Culdeus’ link. Here is a chart from the NIH summarizing potential therapeutics, including their molecular targets.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but let’s try and keep leronlimab pep talk in one of the investment threads, at least until they release any clinically meaningful data.

I play in a 45-and-over soccer league.  We just got an email this morning that they are planning to play a fall season.  I was expecting it to be cancelled for sure.  What's the consensus from knowledgeable people about whether this seems like a good idea and relatively safe for me to participate in?  This is in Montgomery County Maryland, season probably starts early September, and the games are all outdoors.

I play in a 45-and-over soccer league.  We just got an email this morning that they are planning to play a fall season.  I was expecting it to be cancelled for sure.  What's the consensus from knowledgeable people about whether this seems like a good idea and relatively safe for me to participate in?  This is in Montgomery County Maryland, season probably starts early September, and the games are all outdoors.
My brother has been playing in Chicago and hasn't had any issues. He is 46.

Two of my kids are playing hockey and my 14 year old son has been having conditioning drills and tryouts for high school soccer.  We are following all the safety protocols they have in place.

I would think you'd be fine. Just be safe and take precautions where you can.

Edit to add: I'm in Kansas City.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to think that if baseball can be played, you should be able to play.  It seems like the "go to" for successful implementations of group gatherings is to be outside and not clumped together for large periods of time.  I've never playe soccer, but based on my observations of the sport, it seems to fit that criteria.

I'd be more worried about blowing out a knee than getting the virus. 

I'd be more worried about blowing out a knee than getting the virus. 
This is so true!  Every season we start off the first game with like 8 subs and everybody is like "I didn't get enough playing time, this sucks!"  Then by like game four we're scrounging to get enough players because we've lost a bunch of guys to season-ending injuries.

This is so true!  Every season we start off the first game with like 8 subs and everybody is like "I didn't get enough playing time, this sucks!"  Then by like game four we're scrounging to get enough players because we've lost a bunch of guys to season-ending injuries.
I'm 46 and almost blew out a knee THINKING about your 45 and older soccer season. My back hurt for like a month over the winter because I stepped off the bottom step "wrong". Didn't fall. Didn't trip. Just stepped wrong. Them sport days are over for me.  :D

We just played 2 months of softball probably 40ish games.    Not one issue that I know of.   The 2 "cases" I know of were from a parent who was exposed and potentially exposed their kid.   Afaik no one other than the parent ended up having it.  I'm in NJ

By and large this is not spreading outdoors where people are in motion, it's even debatable whether it's spreading when people are not in motion.

If under 30 BMI I would feel very safe.  

culdeus said:
By and large this is not spreading outdoors where people are in motion, it's even debatable whether it's spreading when people are not in motion.

There was a large local outdoor wedding where 10 people became infected that I know of, then some of them went to another wedding the following week and infected more.  There were over 300 people at the wedding so 10 is a small number.

culdeus said:

(not a doctor). I agree, but with the caveat that if you live with or are in close proximity with someone that's 75+ and has significant comorbidities, I'd err on the side of caution simply due to the risk of infecting them and the serious consequences therein.

(not a doctor). I agree, but with the caveat that if you live with or are in close proximity with someone that's 75+ and has significant comorbidities, I'd err on the side of caution simply due to the risk of infecting them and the serious consequences therein.
I think this has been the general consensus since probably April, or earlier.  

Arizona is trending down. The governor is crediting masks and the closing of bars. Better late than never governor. 

The states that still seem to be out-sizing their contribution are CA, FL, TX, GA, NC, TN, LA and AL. Especially the first 3. These are the states that had 10 or more deaths yesterday according to Worldometers. NY and IL had fewer than 10 deaths, so it can be done in the larger population states. 

top dog said:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
I'm 46 and almost blew out a knee // THINKING about your 45 and older soccer season. // My back hurt for like a month over the winter // because I stepped off the bottom step "wrong". // Didn't fall. Didn't trip. Just stepped wrong. // Them sport days are over for me.  :D  //
// = a short blues harmonica riff.

I heard your post in my head as an old-school bad-news blues song.

Seems like the CDC's updated testing recommendations would negatively effect all the states who set positivity thresholds for their phases. Now the CDC are NOT recommending asymptomatic people to get tested. Pretty big change from the "test everybody" policy that many states currently have. Not really sure if state health departments use CDC guidelines or are just making up stuff themselves.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html

If you do not have COVID-19 symptoms and have not been in close contact with someone known to have a COVID-19 infection:

You do not need a test.

A negative test does not mean you will not contract an infection at a later time.

If you decide to be tested, you should self-isolate at home until your test results are known, and then adhere to your health care provider’s advice. This does not apply to routine screening or surveillance testing at work, school, or similar situations.

Arizona is trending down. The governor is crediting masks and the closing of bars. Better late than never governor. 

The states that still seem to be out-sizing their contribution are CA, FL, TX, GA, NC, TN, LA and AL. Especially the first 3. These are the states that had 10 or more deaths yesterday according to Worldometers. NY and IL had fewer than 10 deaths, so it can be done in the larger population states. 
Arizona is one of 5 states that Cuomo has taken off the list requiring quarantine when coming to NY.

Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Maryland and Montana Are Removed

Seems like the CDC's updated testing recommendations would negatively effect all the states who set positivity thresholds for their phases. Now the CDC are NOT recommending asymptomatic people to get tested. Pretty big change from the "test everybody" policy that many states currently have. Not really sure if state health departments use CDC guidelines or are just making up stuff themselves.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html

If you do not have COVID-19 symptoms and have not been in close contact with someone known to have a COVID-19 infection:

You do not need a test.
Same as it ever was. I don't recall the CDC ever saying everyone needed to be tested. Nor am I aware of a state ever having a "test everybody" policy.

Four scenarios on how we might develop immunity to Covid-19 (STAT News, 8/25/2020)

("We" here meaning "society" or "humanity")

Excerpts:

Sterilizing immunity

Sterilizing immunity would be a best-case scenario. It describes an immune system that is armed against a foe, able to fend it off before infection can take hold.

Diseases that we think of as “one-and-done” infections induce such a robust and durable immune response in a single encounter that we cannot be reinfected. In general terms, measles fits into this category, although there are rare reports of people contracting measles more than once.

The bad news is that viruses that infect via the mucus membranes of the nose and throat, like SARS-2, typically don’t induce sterilizing immunity.

Functional immunity

Functional immunity, on the other hand, may be within reach. In fact, it’s the scenario Menachery sees as most likely.

Under this scenario, people whose immune systems have been primed to recognize and fight the virus — whether through infection or vaccination — could contract it again in the future. But these infections would be cut short as the immune system’s defenses kick into gear. People infected might not develop symptoms or might have a mild, cold-like infection.

“I’m a believer that if you’ve gotten Covid-19, then your likelihood of dying from a second Covid-19 case is very low, if you maintain immunity,” Menachery said.

Waning immunity

Waning infection, the third scenario, is a variation of functional immunity. In this scenario, people who have been infected or vaccinated would lose their protection over time. But even if immunity wanes, reinfections would be less severe, Menachery said.

“You will never get as sick as you were the first time,” he said.

The man from Hong Kong may be an example of this phenomenon, though details of his immune responses to his first and second infections are not yet public.

This is the pattern seen with the four coronaviruses that cause about 15% of what we consider common colds — OC43, 229E, NL63, and HKU1. People can be reinfected with these viruses after a relatively short period of time.

Thirty years ago, British scientists reported that a year after deliberately infecting a small number of volunteers with 229E, two-thirds became reinfected when again exposed to the virus. “However, the period of virus shedding was shorter than before and none developed a cold,” they wrote.

Lost immunity

Lost immunity describes a scenario in which people who have been infected would lose all their immune munitions against the virus within some time frame. A reinfection after that point would be like a first infection — carrying all the same risk of severe disease now seen with Covid-19.

None of the experts who spoke to STAT felt this was a possibility.

“I can’t imagine this being a situation where I get infected and then in 10 years, I get infected again and I have zero immunity,” Perlman said.

Same as it ever was. I don't recall the CDC ever saying everyone needed to be tested. Nor am I aware of a state ever having a "test everybody" policy.
The page was changed yesterday and detailed for the first time that asymptomatic people don't need to get a test. Here is a snapshot of the same page from Aug 22.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200822095711/https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html

My county in IL advertises their testing facility all over and their homepage says:

Who Should Get Tested

Anyone may get tested, regardless of symptoms or other criteria. 

https://www.dupagehealth.org/601/COVID-19-Testing

I've seen other social media posts of other IL testing facilities encouraging anyone to come get tested for free, regardless of symptoms.

Assume that is the same in other states, but maybe not.

If counties in IL like DuPage change their "Who should get tested" guidelines to "only people experiencing symptoms", I'm wondering how that impacts policy based on % positives .

IL is testing almost 50k a day. There is no way there are 50k symptomatic people getting tested a day. How many asymptomatic people are getting tested now and why? 

The page was changed yesterday and detailed for the first time that asymptomatic people don't need to get a test. Here is a snapshot of the same page from Aug 22.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200822095711/https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html
This part?

This document describes five populations for which SARS-CoV-2 testing with viral tests (i.e., nucleic acid or antigen tests) is appropriate:

* Individuals with signs or symptoms consistent with COVID-19

* Asymptomatic individuals with recent known or suspected exposure to SARS-CoV-2 to control transmission

* Asymptomatic individuals without known or suspected exposure to SARS-CoV-2 for early identification in special settings

* Individuals being tested to determine resolution of infection (i.e., test-based strategy for Discontinuation of Transmission-based Precautions, HCP Return to Work, and Discontinuation of Home Isolation)

* Individuals being tested for purposes of public health surveillance for SARS-CoV-2
That's still not "test everybody". Testing asymptomatics did and still does make sense in certain settings and for research purposes. It was never a thing where it was like "Welp -- the state of Texas didn't get their whole population tested. They clearly dropped the COVID ball!"

I think your county, also, is attempting to cast a wider testing net for public health surveillance. Testing for individual diagnoses is one important goal ... but another one is to test to get a sense of the "background radiation" level of COVID-19 among the population. The latter can only be accomplished by testing some portion of apparently healthy people with no known exposure.

There are also likely to be a significant number of people who have had "not sure" exposures -- "Someone at my work tested positive, but it's been two weeks since I've dealt with them. I have no symptoms. Should I still get tested?" Once testing got easier to come by, the answer became "Yes! Go get tested just to make sure". There's been a few tests taken by my own family just like this.

I'm looking at the updated CDC guidance you posted, ericttspikes. I don't see it as a 180-degree turn. Just as a refinement. All they're saying is that "You do not need a test" -- from the CDC's point of view -- if you have no symptoms and no exposures. On the other hand, some local public health officials may still be actively collecting COVID surveillance information from the no-symptoms-no-exposure crowd -- so local guidance might trump the CDC in some areas.

This guidance change seems more in the scope of college/schools flooding the system to get people back in-campus/in-person.  JMO.  

This guidance change seems more in the scope of college/schools flooding the system to get people back in-campus/in-person.  JMO.  
How do you mean? If fewer asymptomatics or totally-healthies don't take a COVID test ... how does that fit in with getting schools/colleges back to "normal"? Also unsure what you mean by "flooding the system".

How do you mean? If fewer asymptomatics or totally-healthies don't take a COVID test ... how does that fit in with getting schools/colleges back to "normal"? Also unsure what you mean by "flooding the system".
Didn't just yesterday word came out that expectations are more than 60k tests in last week are college kids getting tests just to be able to go into dorms, not for any other reason?

This could be an attempted method to head more blanket testing off, jmo. 

Have we seen an covid increases in cold weather areas where the flu is usually in its beginning stages?
There was next to no flu in the southern hemisphere this year.  

I don't think this is the right year to make those comparisons as we are taking relatively extreme measures vs. disease worldwide.  

Covid seems more modulated by humidity , but temperature plays a role, possibly because dewpoints do get modified by temperature.  As we go into the winter there is to be expected higher rates of death where temps are low and humidity is high.  (Think NYC)

This from the President of the University of South Carolina yesterday:

Please be aware of the following guidance on reducing the spread of COVID-19 and the potential sanctions students face for placing others at risk:

• Wear a face covering both on and off campus. Even when outside, try to maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet and wear a face covering, except when eating outside or exercising. If you are living in a suite-style residence hall or a house or apartment with others, always wear your mask in common spaces and when interacting with others. Abiding by these simple guidelines is one of the best ways to protect yourself and others from infection.

• Get tested. All students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of free COVID-19 testing offered through UofSC. Last week we began walk-up saliva-based testing Monday-Friday, with results shared within 24 hours. This testing is free and it's recommended you go once a week. Learn more by visiting the COVID-19 website.
There's roughly 35,000 students on campus, I think @culdeus makes a good point. USC uses the saliva test that recently came out and get results back in 24 hrs.

There was next to no flu in the southern hemisphere this year.  

I don't think this is the right year to make those comparisons as we are taking relatively extreme measures vs. disease worldwide.  

Covid seems more modulated by humidity , but temperature plays a role, possibly because dewpoints do get modified by temperature.  As we go into the winter there is to be expected higher rates of death where temps are low and humidity is high.  (Think NYC)
I only added flu to give it reference. I really just want to know if any cold weather areas have noticed a second wave of covid.

I only added flu to give it reference. I really just want to know if any cold weather areas have noticed a second wave of covid.
Oh, I thought you were looking for a situation perhaps where flu was coming on without covid, and it was also cold.

I mean there hasn't really been cool weather anywhere that has had an outbreak more than 6 months ago.  I suppose Wuhan will be the first that would potentially qualify?

NYC/Seattle still probably looking at maybe 1 more month before they would.

This from the President of the University of South Carolina yesterday: ...

• Get tested. All students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of free COVID-19 testing offered through UofSC. Last week we began walk-up saliva-based testing Monday-Friday, with results shared within 24 hours. This testing is free and it's recommended you go once a week. Learn more by visiting the COVID-19 website.
There's roughly 35,000 students on campus, I think @culdeus makes a good point. USC uses the saliva test that recently came out and get results back in 24 hrs.
I still don't think I understand culdeus' point. The various colleges testing non-symptomatic students seems to fall into the CDC's "early identification in special settings" bucket (scroll up a few posts, highlighted in red & blue). It's not like public health officials somewhere are pulling strings to make colleges "over-test" to serve some nefarious purpose.

It read to me like culdeus was saying that all the extra testing at colleges was somehow illegitimate and making some number or other look worse than it should look. I'm sure I'm missing something, though.

I still don't think I understand culdeus' point. The various colleges testing non-symptomatic students seems to fall into the CDC's "early identification in special settings" bucket (scroll up a few posts, highlighted in red & blue). It's not like public health officials somewhere are pulling strings to make colleges "over-test" to serve some nefarious purpose.

It read to me like culdeus was saying that all the extra testing at colleges was somehow illegitimate and making some number or other look worse than it should look. I'm sure I'm missing something, though.
No, the idea is that it's probably not in the best interests to serve populations with gobs and gobs of tests like that on asymptomatic people where they could be used.  And I believe the "special settings" is meant to signify a targeted truly random screening, not a workplace or housing qualifier testing.  

No, the idea is that it's probably not in the best interests to serve populations with gobs and gobs of tests like that on asymptomatic people where they could be used.  And I believe the "special settings" is meant to signify a targeted truly random screening, not a workplace or housing qualifier testing.  
OK ... I follow you now. Thanks for explaining.

I agree with you in a situation where tests are scarce, like the way it was back in March. I disagree with you if we've gotten to the point where testing is "cheap & easy". I think we're actually a lot closer to "cheap & easy" in the U.S. right now than we are to "scarce". It's still going to get cheaper and easier as we go forward.

Does anyone know the specifics on this new Abbott rapid test?  Can we just walk into a store and buy it over the counter?  Seems like a total game changer if so, especially with kids in school.

Wow, France really having a resurgence. Thankfully the mortality rate is still low but the case count is at April peaks.

Comparing positive % was a stupid distraction early on to try and deflect from lack of testing, now it's being flipped on it's head to support less testing.  Equally dumb.  

The entire metric should just be forgotten.  

Link so others can read it too? Or was it something you saw/heard via broadcast?
First time i heard was a broadcast, but Ellie Murray tweeted about it yesterday. They are responding to universities that are cycling through tons of tests and have a low positivity % like MIT and U of I. 

Everything has context and I understand their argument. My point is that none of them gave a rat's you know what when positivity % was high or if there was a school that found 50 infections the first week. It is only once we see decreases do we need context. 

First time i heard was a broadcast, but Ellie Murray tweeted about it yesterday. They are responding to universities that are cycling through tons of tests and have a low positivity % like MIT and U of I. 

Everything has context and I understand their argument. My point is that none of them gave a rat's you know what when positivity % was high or if there was a school that found 50 infections the first week. It is only once we see decreases do we need context. 
Here's Ellie Murray's tweet:

A reminder: test positivity is sensitive to how much COVID there actually is, and who is getting tested. As more & more universities ramp up routine screening, test positivity WILL DECREASE. This does NOT mean COVID is going away! It means we’ve changed who we are testing!
I don't see what's exceptional or problematic about that. I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. I think it's OK to situationally concentrate on different measures to support near-future predictions and (in turn) in-the-moment decision making.

To me, all it seems like Murray is saying is that the big ramp-up in college testing should not serve as a proxy for how an entire town/state/region is doing. IMHO, that's a fair statement.

There's no good argument against widespread testing. In fact if everyone tested themselves every day we'd have this thing beat in a month. 

Simply run through the exercise to see how this works. Start with a population of 1,000 and go through the steps of what would happen if every one of them was tested every day.

The real world examples are the NBA and the NFL. In the NBA bubble, they're going on like a month straight with no new cases. Did they invent a cure in the bubble? No. They test everyone all the time. Yes, masks and social distancing, etc. But it's the testing that squashes this thing. 

There's no good argument against widespread testing. In fact if everyone tested themselves every day we'd have this thing beat in a month. 

Simply run through the exercise to see how this works. Start with a population of 1,000 and go through the steps of what would happen if every one of them was tested every day.

The real world examples are the NBA and the NFL. In the NBA bubble, they're going on like a month straight with no new cases. Did they invent a cure in the bubble? No. They test everyone all the time. Yes, masks and social distancing, etc. But it's the testing that squashes this thing. 
If literally every test has been negative, the testing is completely irrelevant. Its the bubble that has solved the riddle. 

I am not saying dont do it, but the NBA is a terrible example of testing saving the day or squashing anything. 

If literally every test has been negative, the testing is completely irrelevant. Its the bubble that has solved the riddle. 

I am not saying dont do it, but the NBA is a terrible example of testing saving the day or squashing anything. 
No. Go through the exercise. The tests were not all negative at first. They are now because they tested, isolated and traced until there were no more positives. 

Users who are viewing this thread