Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

24 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Where in Florida are you GB?  Perspective from other parts of the state are always welcome.  Here in Central Florida there is a pretty clear correlation to the Memorial Day event...July 4th is a little tougher given the holiday and the Floyd stuff.  All I can tell you is that here, the beaches were at capacity on both those event days by 9am....that's standard beach capacity.  Hundreds of thousands came from the south part of the state since their beaches were closed on the 4th.  

I'm in NW Florida. Jacksonville opened beaches in late April, and everyone freaked out, saying it was the next to blow up. It didn't. Sure, Memorial Day could be cited as a culprit, but it more closely correlates with the Floyd protests which started soon after he died on May 25th... you know, Memorial Day. It was certainly happening by the following weekend in some places, and in most cities by the next. Even Pensacola had protests the weekend after the Floyd murder, and this happened the following one after a large crowd blocked the road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzjAEa7cP94

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Does it really matter what the largest contributing factor was for the surge in cases?  Those cases are real, the rise in deaths is real, the community spread is real.

We need to come to terms with how to combat the community spread.  That means more restrictions, less freedom of movement, more social distancing, etc.

We should stop arguing about such things and to attacking this crisis head on. Otherwise, it just shows we aren't serious about stopping this pandemic as other countries have.

I would tend to agree, but there's plenty of blame going around in this thread which never gets challenged. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Does it really matter what the largest contributing factor was for the surge in cases?  Those cases are real, the rise in deaths is real, the community spread is real.

We need to come to terms with how to combat the community spread.  That means more restrictions, less freedom of movement, more social distancing, etc.

We should stop arguing about such things and to attacking this crisis head on. Otherwise, it just shows we aren't serious about stopping this pandemic as other countries have.

Seems like folks on both sides try and backdoor their political agenda in here through their "observations".  The numbers are high because our citizens aren't doing what they should be - doesn't ####### matter what their political slant is.  Who cares - I doubt seriously somebody on their deathbed because of Covid is going to give a damn why the person who infected them didn't social distance or wear a mask.

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Seems like folks on both sides try and backdoor their political agenda in here through their "observations".  The numbers are high because our citizens aren't doing what they should be - doesn't ####### matter what their political slant is.  Who cares - I doubt seriously somebody on their deathbed because of Covid is going to give a damn why the person who infected them didn't social distance or wear a mask.

Yeah it's amazing that people are spending so much time looking in the rearview when things are getting worse in so many areas, and little if any steps are being taken to stop the virus.    

9 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

You’re missing the point: they revised their stance as new data became available. 

Science!  I wish people were able to change their minds as easily when new information becomes available to them.

12 hours ago, matuski said:

Would love to see a large scale real life accounting of what % of people are even wearing masks correctly and consistently.

Forest > Trees

1 hour ago, The Gator said:

I assume there is something about influenza that causes that virus to go dormant in the warmer months, and re-vitalize in the colder months.

People being indoors much more often.

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Yeah, that's often a point of confusion when messaging to the public -- when researchers talk about "low probability" or "no evidence that ...", the general public usually hears "never happens" or even "cannot happen, a patent impossibility".

See also: 2016 presidential election results vs 538 poll numbers and the resulting clapback.  Some people are just poor with probabilities.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, jplvr said:

I'm in NW Florida. Jacksonville opened beaches in late April, and everyone freaked out, saying it was the next to blow up. It didn't. Sure, Memorial Day could be cited as a culprit, but it more closely correlates with the Floyd protests which started soon after he died on May 25th... you know, Memorial Day. It was certainly happening by the following weekend in some places, and in most cities by the next. Even Pensacola had protests the weekend after the Floyd murder, and this happened the following one after a large crowd blocked the road:

Not going to argue with you, but will point out this. IMO, it appears that this virus is more difficult to catch outdoors. Whether you are at a crowded beach or a crowded protest, I think those behaviors are less risky then eating in a restaurant, going to a bar, or working in a crowded office, especially if those outdoor activities involve social distancing and a mask when in closer proximity. I believe there have been a couple of studies in China and Japan that showed very few cases being transmitted outdoors. Of course there is still a lot to learn, and I am not suggesting that some of the surge couldn't have been caused by any of these outdoor activities, but it appears to me that the majority of cases are occurring from indoor activities.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Posted (edited)

At what point do states begin looking at lockdowns again?  This strategy of slightly dialing things back and strongly encouraging mask usage doesn't appear to be having anywhere close to the impact of the lockdowns.  At best, we are seeing a plateau in cases, but that's debatable (could be that states are hitting testing capacity).

I'm in TN and my county has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 weeks in cases, despite a mask edict.  I get that it can take longer than 2 weeks to show an impact, but isn't it time to have the discussions about doing what was done in March/April?  

Someone, I think Commish, said earlier today that deaths in Florida may never reach the heights of NYC. While that MIGHT be true for daily deaths, what about cumulative?  Is Florida going to be cool with 100-300 deaths a day for the foreseeable future?  

Edited by shader

20 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:
1 hour ago, jplvr said:

Not going to argue with you, but will point out this. IMO, it appears that this virus is more difficult to catch outdoors. Whether you are at a crowded beach or a crowded protest, I think those behaviors are less risky then eating in a restaurant, going to a bar, or working in a crowded office, especially if those outdoor activities involve social distancing and a mask when in closer proximity. I believe there have been a couple of studies in China and Japan that showed very few cases being transmitted outdoors. Of course there is still a lot to learn, and I am not suggesting that some of the surge couldn't have been caused by any of these outdoor activities, but it appears to me that the majority of cases are occurring from indoor activities.

It also appears from that video that the protestors were wearing masks

In Florida? Would be looking hard at the following measures, implemented and mandated at a statewide level, that would nearly guarantee that positive %, cases, hospitalizations and fatalities would decrease at noticeable 2-3 week intervals between categories. They can have tangible results to be proud of in 70-90 days by:

• Closing all bars, clubs, theaters, inside dining, and heavily limiting occupancy at any indoor facility
  • Wearing a mask outside of the home at all times
  • Keeping 6 or more feet apart from other people always
  • Washing hands at regular, frequent intervals
  • Drastically increasing testing capability (you can test, isolate and trace the virus when cases are manageable)

No half-measures on the above. Keep in mind that many, many things can remain open in this scenario so a stricter lockdown can be avoided. 

Would not be giving two thoughts to pinning it to a one-off cause to blame it on because it doesn't just work like that. It's a waste, and probably most harmful is that people will resist the above measures because they are blaming it something political. Don't need that now.

Prioritize schools? Then do the above. Heck places that have the infection rate low are having a hard enough time with schools opening.

My sister in law wants to visit from Florida for there other sisters "death anniversary".  Basically it's been 1 year since she passed and the other sisters were going to get together.

Told my wife sorry but she's not staying here and I'm not visiting her elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

Unfortunately, we already established this to be a fact a long time ago.  ("We" here meaning the US, not the people in this thread of course).

19 minutes ago, shader said:

At what point do states begin looking at lockdowns again?  This strategy of slightly dialing things back and strongly encouraging mask usage doesn't appear to be having anywhere close to the impact of the lockdowns.  At best, we are seeing a plateau in cases, but that's debatable (could be that states are hitting testing capacity).

I'm in TN and my county has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 weeks in cases, despite a mask edict.  I get that it can take longer than 2 weeks to show an impact, but isn't it time to have the discussions about doing what was done in March/April?  

Someone, I think Commish, said earlier today that deaths in Florida may never reach the heights of NYC. While that MIGHT be true for daily deaths, what about cumulative?  Is Florida going to be cool with 100-300 deaths a day for the foreseeable future?  

Here in Illinois, I don't really know what else can be done. Dine-in restaurants are closed, you can only dine outside. I don't think movie theaters are open. The virus doesn't spread much outside, and our schools will be virtual once classes start next month. 

My belief is that regions and states will do just enough to keep hospital capacity able to handle cases, and nothing more (which was the original plan). And there is an argument for that, since with every loosening of restrictions globally, cases begin to rise. 

My wife had to go help decorate for a wedding tomorrow.   Here is a list of everything she was told about the virus.

Nobody gets sick from this.

It is just the flu.

It's the devil.

It's political and you won't hear anymore about it after November. 

Masks don't work and people that wear masks are sheep.

Just pray and God will protect us.

One lady said Trump will be reelected because he is a prophet.  A firefighter that talks to God on YouTube said this.

• Laughing 3
  • Sad 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jplvr said:

Thanks....if there's one thing I've learned about this state is it is significantly different depending on where you are.  I'm not sure that's true of any other state like it is in this one.  Here in central Florida, there was an initial gasp about how they couldn't believe that they were opening.  That lasted a day or two until the city's "how" was brought up again and people here realized that it wasn't different from what we were doing locally.  I don't even know of "blow ups" in that part of the state.  I am just aware of what is happening here in central and southern Florida.  As a matter of fact, I don't see any huge problem areas in the NW part of the state.  As I type this, I am realizing, I don't think I've heard a single report on your part of the state :lol:  That's not to say things aren't happening there...they just aren't covered here apparently.  From an "event" perspective, I struggle to see why which event people were at while not following the rules matters, but it appears to matter to some.  For me, personally, if you aren't wearing the mask while in public at those close proximity events, you're part of the problem.  Doesn't matter if you're hanging out on the beach or marching in a street.  I was pleasantly surprised to see high compliance with masks at the marches we were at.

Edited by The Commish
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcat01 said:

My wife had to go help decorate for a wedding tomorrow.   Here is a list of everything she was told about the virus.

Nobody gets sick from this.

It is just the flu.

It's the devil.

It's political and you won't hear anymore about it after November. 

Masks don't work and people that wear masks are sheep.

Just pray and God will protect us.

One lady said Trump will be reelected because he is a prophet.  A firefighter that talks to God on YouTube said this.

Sweet lord - I mean, Covid isn't the plague and we can safely do some thing but people like this are why this is taking forever for us to get this under control.

>> Miami-Dade: COVID hospital volume more or less flat over yesterday (+3 to 2,257). ICUs continues to add patients (+20 to 547) well above the ~400 standard capacity threshold. There are 344 people on ventilators, compared to 194 on July 11th. <<

The increase in patients on ventilator may portend more deaths in the future in Miami. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1286707997994037252?cxt=HHwWiMC14euGp9sjAAAA

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

I can understand being upset with prominent public health officials, especially policy makers for the CDC and WHO. But to extend that ill will to an entire industry, much less one devoted to helping sick people is bizarre.

Because almost every one of you to a T said the same things and discouraged the general public from wearing them while wearing them yourselves. Many of you even shaming others then for not letting you have their masks.

Any HCW that shamed somebody for buying or wearing a mask should be ashamed of themselves. That line can start with you. You should apologize to every person you ever typed or spoke that to. But you wont. Instead you just try to gaslight them. It's disgusting. 

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Investigation of a  Super spreading event preceding the largest meat processing plant-related SARS-Coronavirus 2 outbreak in Germany.

Interesting paper. 

Our findings indicate that a physical distance of 2 meters does not suffice to prevent transmission in environmental conditions such as those studied here; additional measures such as improved ventilation and airflow, installation of filtering devices or use of high-quality face masks are required to reduce the infection risk in these environments

Edited by parasaurolophus

28 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Thanks....if there's one thing I've learned about this state is it is significantly different depending on where you are.  I'm not sure that's true of any other state like it is in this one.  Here in central Florida, there was an initial gasp about how they couldn't believe that they were opening.  That lasted a day or two until the city's "how" was brought up again and people here realized that it wasn't different from what we were doing locally.  I don't even know of "blow ups" in that part of the state.  I am just aware of what is happening here in central and southern Florida.  As a matter of fact, I don't see any huge problem areas in the NW part of the state.  As I type this, I am realizing, I don't think I've heard a single report on your part of the state :lol:  That's not to say things aren't happening there...they just aren't covered here apparently.  From an "event" perspective, I struggle to see why which event people were at while not following the rules matters, but it appears to matter to some.  For me, personally, if you aren't wearing the mask while in public at those close proximity events, you're part of the problem.  Doesn't matter if you're hanging out on the beach or marching in a street.  I was pleasantly surprised to see high compliance with masks at the marches we were at.

Escambia County is a little worse than the surrounding Florida counties, but it's not a huge problem. This is basically lower Alabama in every way.

I've been on board with masks from the beginning, or at least whenever I got tired of lock downs. I did go through a little period of time where I didn't wear one because people were saying things like "only N95 work." Of course I didn't have one since even though I was prepping early, I was told at that time the general public didn't need them. Hell, I bought one of those WaterBob things Icon was pimping, but I laughed off needing to get masks. I wear my face covering now, but there was a period of time I did say, "f it." Mask usage is pretty good here from what I've seen, and there is a city ordinance for it to be mandatory. At least 95% in stores, and it's really only the random guy. I wouldn't want to guess on the percentage of correct mask usage.

Florida is definitely the strangest collection of disparate demographics we have in this country. California is probably comparable. That's probably it. 

10 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

Can't hide from a virus forever. Nature usually wins. The lockdown countries just prolong the inevitable.

Yep starting to look like that

2 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

>> Miami-Dade: COVID hospital volume more or less flat over yesterday (+3 to 2,257). ICUs continues to add patients (+20 to 547) well above the ~400 standard capacity threshold. There are 344 people on ventilators, compared to 194 on July 11th. <<

The increase in patients on ventilator may portend more deaths in the future in Miami. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1286707997994037252?cxt=HHwWiMC14euGp9sjAAAA

There is no "may" about it. Most of the COVID deaths spend a week or two on the ventilator first

• Sad 1

Just now, renesauz said:

There is no "may" about it. Most of the COVID deaths spend a week or two on the ventilator first

Think I read something like 86% of those on ventilator end up dying.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Because almost every one of you to a T said the same things and discouraged the general public from wearing them while wearing them yourselves. Many of you even shaming others then for not letting you have their masks.

Any HCW that shamed somebody for buying or wearing a mask should be ashamed of themselves. That line can start with you. You should apologize to every person you ever typed or spoke that to. But you wont. Instead you just try to gaslight them. It's disgusting. 

I only criticized those who hoarded masks when I was forced to use substandard PPE - I wasn’t wearing masks outside my job. I didn’t even wear them with every patient, because to do so would limit their utility when I needed them. 

It’s disgusting you insult and hold such contempt for people who place themselves in harm’s way to help. I like my job, but attitudes like yours make me question why I do it. Fortunately, most people are far more appreciative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Think I read something like 86% of those on ventilator end up dying.

not sure what the National number is, but it's probably in the 55-65% area for us in my unit

6 hours ago, Doug B said:

Yeah, that's often a point of confusion when messaging to the public -- when researchers talk about "low probability" or "no evidence that ...", the general public usually hears "never happens" or even "cannot happen, a patent impossibility".

Right. People want dogma, they want black and white. Imperfect, changing science is maligned as dishonest.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

When people TREATING the COVID patients couldn't get PPE.........

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Gator said:

Isn't this a pretty strong argument to keep kids out of schools while the virus is still prevalent in the country?

(At least the middle-schoolers and high schoolers)?

Yes. But Americans need to learn things the hard way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

I only criticized those who hoarded masks when I was forced to use substandard PPE - I wasn’t wearing masks outside my job. I didn’t even wear them with every patient, because to do so would limit their utility when I needed them. 

It’s disgusting you insult and hold such contempt for people who place themselves in harm’s way to help. I like my job, but attitudes like yours make me question why I do it. Fortunately, most people are far more appreciative.

Dude you have the patience of a saint. I don’t know how you do it (or why at this point) but I really appreciate your contributions to this thread. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

Can't hide from a virus forever. Nature usually wins. The lockdown countries just prolong the inevitable.

The inevitable being a vaccine.

22 minutes ago, Jobber said:

The inevitable being a vaccine.

Why?  Where's my HIV vax?  

4 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Good lord.  Take a pill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Step away from the keyboard.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Right. People want dogma, they want black and white. Imperfect, changing science is maligned as dishonest.

Interesting then isnt it when imperfect, changing science becomes the dogma?

Edited by matuski

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shader said:

Step away from the keyboard.....

Says the guy that purposely put together his own data set of death and updated it daily.

Make sure you wear a mask in that glass house buddy. 

Edited by parasaurolophus
  • Love 1

ENOUGH

There's no need to fight amongst ourselves. I want to thank everyone who has been contributing in this thread. We should be appreciating one another. Thank you one and all! Especially thanks to the doctors and nurses posting in here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dezbelief said:

ENOUGH

There's no need to fight amongst ourselves. I want to thank everyone who has been contributing in this thread. We should be appreciating one another. Thank you one and all! Especially thanks to the doctors and nurses posting in here!

Lol....some of the harping on the past cracks me up.   It's like reading a bunch of posts from ex-girlfriends

3 minutes ago, belljr said:

Lol....some of the harping on the past cracks me up.   It's like reading a bunch of posts from ex-girlfriends

I can understand, we are all frustrated. We've all been lied to and left to fend for ourselves in the face of death. We have all been through hell in one way or another, some worse than others. The enemy is not in this thread. Thanks to everyone! Practically everyone in this thread has helped me in one way or the other to navigate this pandemic.

• Like 3

To update my previous story, my close co-worker’s daughter was negative. But I did get confirm that the other employee that works in the department a few feet from me did test positive. That confirmation came because after a couple days at work, she is now out sick again. I don’t know the background if she was symptomatic before or why she was allowed to come back to work but it only seemed like she was gone for a week.

I work within 20-30 feet of her most of the day but there’s good airflow between us with both of us wearing masks almost all the time. I was within 6 feet several times but again while masked and just passing by. My work procrastination ended up being helpful because I was supposed to ask her to come do a couple things inside the pharmacy where airflow is poor but never got to it. I still consider it a low risk of exposure but if I got it from her, I certainly gave it to the rest of my family while we traveled this weekend. If that happened because someone rushed (or was rushed my management) back to work, I’m gonna be pissed.

Welp, uglier than ever at Covid worldometersNew worldwide high for daily cases of 289,000.  US with a new high of 78,000 cases.  28 countries with over 1,000 reported new cases.  Deaths today at 6,200, with the US again over one thousand with 1,141 deaths.  In a week or so, the US will move into the top ten worldwide in deaths/million.  That's a hard reality.

Australia was mentioned above:  They had peaked at a rolling average of about 365 cases/day.  Through May/June, the daily count dropped to single digits.  But a recent high puts their daily count just below where they were four months ago.

I need some advice. My younger brother is getting married (outdoors) in early September. They've invited hundreds of people but aren't expecting them all (many out of state) to show up. We live in a smaller area and haven't been hit hard by covid-19 (no deaths in our county) but the cases have jumped drastically in the last few weeks. Like more in the last three weeks then since the pandemic started. 

I kind of assumed that as this got worse they would change their plans. Nope. I asked him tonight about masks and they're not requiring them. I asked about distancing and he said that they're going to have the rows spaced apart but from there are just hoping people use their best judgment. 

I'm really conflicted on this whole thing and it will 100% for sure turn into a big deal if I continue to voice concerns. What do I do?

Oh yeah, I'm the best man and our daughter is the flower girl. 

10 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I need some advice. My younger brother is getting married (outdoors) in early September. They've invited hundreds of people but aren't expecting them all (many out of state) to show up. We live in a smaller area and haven't been hit hard by covid-19 (no deaths in our county) but the cases have jumped drastically in the last few weeks. Like more in the last three weeks then since the pandemic started. 

I kind of assumed that as this got worse they would change their plans. Nope. I asked him tonight about masks and they're not requiring them. I asked about distancing and he said that they're going to have the rows spaced apart but from there are just hoping people use their best judgment. 

I'm really conflicted on this whole thing and it will 100% for sure turn into a big deal if I continue to voice concerns. What do I do?

I think you know the answer. I also think our national sense of what courage is has been diminished. You know morally that the behavior you described writ large will spread disease and death and delay the return of the economy. It’s selfish and wrong, and it requires a paltry sacrifice to scale down to a minimal footprint with masks. Live stream the damn thing. Have some courage with your brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CR69 said:

This seems like a situation where you convince the bride to blow a few hundred dollars on special “Jim and Judy’s coronuptials 2020” commemorative masks that will totally make people remember these were the best wedding pics on Instagram ever.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CR69 said:

Go to the wedding as your brother has asked.   The odds are SLIM of you for anyone else getting or spreading it at the wedding.   Its not worth breaking up a family over.

Jesus...the drama is over the top sometimes.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, CR69 said:

I need some advice. My younger brother is getting married (outdoors) in early September. 

Oh yeah, I'm the best man and our daughter is the flower girl

I was going to say skip it or sit in the way back for the service and peace out before the dinner/dance until I got to the bolded. In this situation, I'd probably tell my wife and kids to stay home, wear an N95 mask during the ceremony, and still skip the dinner/dance. 

But then again, I was at a huge funeral a month ago so I'm a big talker. Easier to sound tough when it's not your own situation. 

ETA: I did tell my wife no way we are going to a big barn wedding here in a couple of weeks, but it's just friends, not family. 

Edited by FBG26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, perbach said:

Go to the wedding as your brother has asked.   The odds are SLIM of you for anyone else getting or spreading it at the wedding.   Its not worth breaking up a family over.

Jesus...the drama is over the top sometimes.

This seems like exactly the kind of scenario where this spreads. Granted, it's outdoors, but sitting next to people for an extended amount of time during a service, dinner, and dance are the exact types of activities that are closed down in many places (churches, restaurants, gyms). 

• Thanks 2

On 7/23/2020 at 7:45 PM, the rover said:

Smacks of effort.  As a practical matter, it’s shutting down restaurants.  That can’t afford to stay open under those conditions.  The restaurants here that don’t have patio dining are already announcing they’re closing to everything but take-our.

No. Ate inside a Mexican restaurant at 50% capacity 30 minutes ago. They had plenty of people coming and going.