What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (7 Viewers)

Well, I went in for testing today after my wife finally got a negative so we could un-quarantine. I was negative again. And I was negative for antibodies.  So, somehow I dodged this #### in my own house for a few weeks which is great, except now my wife has the antibodies and I don't. This is gonna be tough to deal with.  I'm just fine with hermit life but my wife is not. And she always wants me to go with her. It's going to be nothing but constant pressure until a vaccine comes out or I get sick.  Ugh.

Just got back from the grocery store. Saw two adults without masks at all, a bunch of kids with no masks (yet the adults with them were wearing them??) and of course probably half below their noses. Not surprisingly our county has set a new record for new cases this week. W. T. F. 🤦‍♂️

Well, I went in for testing today after my wife finally got a negative so we could un-quarantine. I was negative again. And I was negative for antibodies.  So, somehow I dodged this #### in my own house for a few weeks which is great, except now my wife has the antibodies and I don't. This is gonna be tough to deal with.  I'm just fine with hermit life but my wife is not. And she always wants me to go with her. It's going to be nothing but constant pressure until a vaccine comes out or I get sick.  Ugh.
My wife hasn’t had Covid but she is the same way. I suspect she may be trying to kill me.

It’s really interesting the first peaks for both countries were almost identical in size and shape. Then Italy got its act together, while we fixated on stupid mask controversies, imperfect statistics and manufactured rage for infringing our liberties. And now some are advocating expedited herd immunity as a way out of this mess, even as our second peak dwarfs places like Italy that have complied with mainstream public health recommendations.

Local TV newscaster Elizabeth Campbell posts Thursday that she has recovered from Covid and stresses how serious disease is and need for mask.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGSOeJnhuk8/?igshid=azo381r5kzpa

Then she posts this morning about fabulous wedding she was at...without a mask in sight

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGfIU6GBbs7/?igshid=1hzugz1i9aac9

Remember, people want different things for other people than people they know.  See refugee crises, nuclear power, and yoga pants. 

Texas continues to be odd.  This time el paso is dominating the cases.  And a little super pocket up in Sherman (oklahoma border)

@bostonfred back when this thread was moderated I'm pretty sure I got a warning for making a (bad thing in the 40s)/cv analogy, just fyi, predicting more or less that we would ultimately end up with a similar event in the US.  You may have more goodwill than me and my context may have been slightly different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing. Certainly the Dakotas, and probably the entire Midwest were impacted.
I think schools being fully reopened and no restrictions on gatherings, including bars and restaurants, with cold weather forcing everyone inside is likely more responsible.  Also, if you go anywhere up there you won't find a mask in site most likely.

I think schools being fully reopened and no restrictions on gatherings, including bars and restaurants, with cold weather forcing everyone inside is likely more responsible.  Also, if you go anywhere up there you won't find a mask in site most likely.
Probably right, but schools are reopening everywhere, and other places are getting cold. Mask denial certainly doesn’t help.

Probably right, but schools are reopening everywhere, and other places are getting cold. Mask denial certainly doesn’t help.
They aren't wearing masks, they aren't social distancing, and with highs in the 30s and 40s, they are packing indoor spots like bars with zero rules on capacity.  I feel like we'll get a close up view of whether herd immunity can be achieved and what it will look like if things don't change there and soon.

In case anyone still supports the idea of getting herd immunity to this

8 million Americans now have, or have had, Covid-19. 

Over 210,000 are dead, and more of the currently infected will die.  

There are 328 million people in the US. 

328 million divided by 8 million is 41. 

One in 41 people have been infected.  That is a huge number. 

But it also means that 40 out of 41 people have not yet had this. 

So if you're sick, and contagious, it's extremely likely that the person you bump into has not yet been infected.  Over 97 percent of Americans have not yet had this. 

Herd immunity only works when sick people ars unable to infect many other people because most people they come into contact with have already had it or been vaccinated.  

Without a vaccine, getting to herd immunity would mean that about 70 percent of Americans had been infected. Compared with 2.5 percent right now.  That's almost 30 times as many people as are already infected. 

30 times 210,000 dead is about 6 million people. 

Herd immunity without a vaccine would be monstrous on a scale similar to the holocaust.  

Wear your mask
I prefer to look at the bright side and thank the heavens we're catching every single infection here in the USA!

Just one anecdotal experience - my friend who spent 12 days in ICU with COVID last spring has been closely monitored since recovering.  He provides data regarding antibodies to multiple healthcare entities.  He was able to make a bit of side money by selling his blood, but only for 4 weeks because that's when he no longer showed any antibodies.
They happen to be following impacts on organs if any?

Yep: https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-sweden-anti-lockdown-new-restrictions-cases-rise-1540243

The Swedish general public might not grok it ... but their public health officials know with hindsight that they fouled up.
Speaking to Newsweek, Dr. Anders Tegnell, the chief state epidemiologist at Sweden's public health agency who is behind the country's anti-lockdown strategy, said: "It [the latest measures] is not a lockdown but some extra recommendations might be communicated locally when a need from the regional authorities is communicated."

That doesn't read like they think they fouled up. 

Speaking to Newsweek, Dr. Anders Tegnell, the chief state epidemiologist at Sweden's public health agency who is behind the country's anti-lockdown strategy, said: "It [the latest measures] is not a lockdown but some extra recommendations might be communicated locally when a need from the regional authorities is communicated."

That doesn't read like they think they fouled up. 
Yeah I didn't say lockdown, I think they are going to implement stricter restrictions (i.e lower the 50 person gatherings etc)

The big thing to me is we could do it this way if people were all on board like most of sweden's citizens from what I've read.

Instead we fight over not wearing freaking masks and insist on having thousands of people congregate 

The term "lockdown" REALLY gets in the way sometimes.

When the Twin Hammer jackboots from Pink Floyd's The Wall come marching down the street to enforce "Stay at home!" and make you show papers that prove you hadn't been to the grocery store in the last week ... that's a lockdown.

Yeah I didn't say lockdown, I think they are going to implement stricter restrictions (i.e lower the 50 person gatherings etc)

The big thing to me is we could do it this way if people were all on board like most of sweden's citizens from what I've read.

Instead we fight over not wearing freaking masks and insist on having thousands of people congregate 
Not arguing your basic point, but as far as masks they are almost flat out not wearing them in Sweden.  Tegnell doesn't recommend them, and last I saw surveys had public usage in the single digits.  I believe the neighboring Scandinavian countries that were initially very low mask usage have since changed their guidance, but Sweden is a holdout on that front. 

Just one anecdotal experience - my friend who spent 12 days in ICU with COVID last spring has been closely monitored since recovering.  He provides data regarding antibodies to multiple healthcare entities.  He was able to make a bit of side money by selling his blood, but only for 4 weeks because that's when he no longer showed any antibodies.
They happen to be following impacts on organs if any?
I'm not sure what all they are doing, but he told me he is getting tested regularly and reporting data to a few different places.

When "herd immunity" is mentioned as a legitimate option to consider with Covid19 we should dismiss the person/source as less than reliable for future information.

Northern Mississippi going back to mask ordinance because, well, nobody there believes COVID is real so cases are skyrocketing. Which sucks for us because their hospitals suck so they end up coming up here. 

Going to be a pretty crappy holiday season this year methinks. Guessing we are locking a lot down by thanksgiving. 

The term "lockdown" REALLY gets in the way sometimes.

When the Twin Hammer jackboots from Pink Floyd's The Wall come marching down the street to enforce "Stay at home!" and make you show papers that prove you hadn't been to the grocery store in the last week ... that's a lockdown.
Just another educational failing: add English language to our fundamental misunderstanding of science, math/statistics and history.

Covid deaths:

Sweden: 5,918

Finland:  351

Norway: 278

Denmark: 680

Yeah, but at least their economy was better.

Or, maybe not....
Just figured I'd put this here as well.

Not only did Sweden's health numbers compare very poorly against their neighboring countries that acted more strictly, but their economy did as well.

You couldn't ask for a better example now with months of data to show what works and what doesn't.

If Sweden doesn't change their approach, they are failing their citizens, IMO. 

Similarly, and country that doesn't look at those numbers and adjust how they respond is similarly negligent (hi, USA).

Here is another article about how poorly Sweden has fared overall

It's a long read but worth it. Sweden is a blueprint for exactly what not to do along with us.
It’s nice Sweden has given us concrete evidence to refute the “protect the vulnerable”/expedited natural herd immunity strategy. If it can’t work in a healthier, more compliant population, there’s no reason to expect it will work anywhere, and especially not the US.

ETA I just read the JAMA correspondence referenced in the Time article. It’s pretty damning of the US’ approach to the pandemic, even worse than Sweden’s. But I found the international all cause mortality really interesting, as it is decreasing just about everywhere it’s reported. This suggests most of the extra deaths were indeed due to covid, and all the concerns about suicides, heart attacks, cancer deaths, etc. indirectly caused by pandemic control measures have probably been overstated.

In case anyone still supports the idea of getting herd immunity to this

8 million Americans now have, or have had, Covid-19. 

Over 210,000 are dead, and more of the currently infected will die.  

There are 328 million people in the US. 

328 million divided by 8 million is 41. 

One in 41 people have been infected.  That is a huge number. 

But it also means that 40 out of 41 people have not yet had this. 

So if you're sick, and contagious, it's extremely likely that the person you bump into has not yet been infected.  Over 97 percent of Americans have not yet had this. 

Herd immunity only works when sick people ars unable to infect many other people because most people they come into contact with have already had it or been vaccinated.  

Without a vaccine, getting to herd immunity would mean that about 70 percent of Americans had been infected. Compared with 2.5 percent right now.  That's almost 30 times as many people as are already infected. 

30 times 210,000 dead is about 6 million people. 

Herd immunity without a vaccine would be monstrous on a scale similar to the holocaust.  

Wear your mask
I would say way more than 8 million have had it...probably more like 80 million...so dividing the total population by just the reported cases is not accurate at all for any meaningful statiistics.

And you base this on what?
Based on the studies that have been done in New York and California (many others places too) saying that many more people have had it than reported...many without symptons/asymptomatic so they never got tested.  Has been discussed here ad nauseum earlier.

Based on the studies that have been done in New York and California (many others places too) saying that many more people have had it than reported...many without symptons/asymptomatic so they never got tested.  Has been discussed here ad nauseum earlier.
I've been in this thread plenty and don't recall them. Care to share the links to them so I can see? 

I've been in this thread plenty and don't recall them. Care to share the links to them so I can see? 
Just a quick google...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/nyregion/coronavirus-antibodies-test-ny.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01095-0

https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=26868&publicId=395

Don't care enough to dig further...but regardless, to assume only those who have got tested and reported are the only cases is ridiculous.  Tons of people have had mild/no symptons and never get tested.  Many places you previously couldn't even get a test unless you were admitted to the ER.  So, the 80 million number I threw out there is probably high, but truthfully we do not now enough of the asymptomatic spread to say it is not possible.

Just a quick google...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/nyregion/coronavirus-antibodies-test-ny.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01095-0

https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=26868&publicId=395

Don't care enough to dig further...but regardless, to assume only those who have got tested and reported are the only cases is ridiculous.  Tons of people have had mild/no symptons and never get tested.  Many places you previously couldn't even get a test unless you were admitted to the ER.  So, the 80 million number I threw out there is probably high, but truthfully we do not now enough of the asymptomatic spread to say it is not possible.
The first two links are from the beginning of April. That provides little clarity at this point.

The last link is from July 1st, almost 5 months ago. It has the percentage at 5% in one of the hardest hit places at that time. Yet you are estimating that now 25% of the country has had it?

Yes, the 80 is "probably" high.

The latest info I've seen has the number no higher than 10%. This is based on numerous factors. 

So, if you're going to come here and throw out a number like that without any basis, you are doing this thread a disservice by posting misinformation that you are just pulling out of the air as if you have the background on it.

The first two links are from the beginning of April. That provides little clarity at this point.

The last link is from July 1st, almost 5 months ago. It has the percentage at 5% in one of the hardest hit places at that time. Yet you are estimating that now 25% of the country has had it?

Yes, the 80 is "probably" high.

The latest info I've seen has the number no higher than 10%. This is based on numerous factors. 

So, if you're going to come here and throw out a number like that without any basis, you are doing this thread a disservice by posting misinformation that you are just pulling out of the air as if you have the background on it.
Just throwing numbers out like the originally post I quoted with my 80 million....to use only the reported positive tests to make up statistics is doing this thread a disservice by posting misinformation that you are just pulling out of the air as if you have the background on it.

Users who are viewing this thread