What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

There will definitely be people who used this as an excuse, but there are more people with severe allergies than you may realize.  I carry around an EpiPen, and this news is certainly concerning to me.
Yeah, you and anyone with that severe of allergies should probably work with their doctor to see if they can even get the vaccine.  My point is the news story my wife saw didn't even mention the allergy angle which does a total disservice to everyone who saw it.  People who shouldn't have to worry about it are going to freak out now but people with severe allergies were not alerted to that aspect.

24YO son is allergic to peanuts, and while he does not "carry an epipen" with him at all times, he is diligent at what he eats.  He's had 3 episodes of needing to use the pen in 24 years, but will still monitor updates.

The more idiots who refuse to get it frees the vaccines up for the rest of us.  
I had the same conversation today leading into a zoom call.  The sheer amount of anti vax stuff might just mean they have so much stuff they can't give it away and it just becomes FCFS for everyone. I'm fine with that.  

When people with existing severe allergies react poorly to a vaccine ... is it normally a reaction to the vaccine's "active ingredient" or is it to the vaccine's "inactive ingredients"/"carrier"? @Terminalxylem @gianmarco @ghostguy123
A true severe allergic reaction to vaccines are extremely rare. Most reported severe reactions that are reported are fainting or inject site related which likely aren’t allergic reactions at all. I’d say a true allergic reaction is more likely due to the active ingredient or how it’s developed (egg allergies).

Tested positive today.  Out of 6 coworkers at my office, 3 of us have tested positive in the last 4 days.  Our region has exploded with cases in the past month.  Our city and most nearby communities have mask mandates.
How are you feeling? 

When people with existing severe allergies react poorly to a vaccine ... is it normally a reaction to the vaccine's "active ingredient" or is it to the vaccine's "inactive ingredients"/"carrier"? @Terminalxylem @gianmarco @ghostguy123
Agree with @Biff84 A google search yields the following:

Whilst the general adverse reactions including allergic reactions caused by the vaccine itself or the vaccine components, are rare, they can in some circumstances be serious and even fatal. In accordance with many IgE-mediated reactions and immediate-type allergic reactions, the primary allergens are proteins. The proteins most often implicated in vaccine allergies are egg and gelatin, with perhaps rare reactions to yeast or latex.
The anaphylactoid reactions reported in response to the covid vaccine would likely fall under the IgE-mediated umbrella, but I haven’t heard enough details to know for sure.

More info from Hopkins vaccine surveillance:

A Vaccine Safety Datalink study identified 33 confirmed vaccine-triggered anaphylaxis cases among 25,173,965 vaccine doses, which corresponds to a rate of 1.3 cases of anaphylaxis per million vaccine doses [8]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here we go, barring any setbacks I’ll start administering the COVID vaccine the day after Christmas and will probably receive it before that. We will be immunizing Group 1B in AZ which includes essential workers, high risk medical conditions and adults over 65. Very broad categories, so hopefully they’ve got a good plan to decide who gets it or it will be a huge mess.
Biff, are you a doc?

I assume there will be some direction on the specific timeline for who can get them. I get health care workers and first-responders are first, but for the adults who are high risk, like me, i want to know when it is my time to get one.  I mean they can't open a drive thru location because it will be flooded with everyone. I assume you are going to have to provide some proof you are high-risk and not just checking off a box.  Man, of all the times for me not to have PCP--mine  just retired on the 1st. 

I feel fine today.  Had a fever, headache and some chills yesterday.  
Glad you're feeling OK.
FWIW -
I had shivering and chills which lasted less than an hour a week ago Sunday (so, about 10 days ago). Being a good corporate citizen I called into work and reported my symptom and was told that I could not return to work without a negative PCR test. Based on how I felt, I was sure that I would test negative. I wasn't able to get tested until that Tuesday night (PITA to get tested), and Friday my resulted showed that I was positive for COVID-19. My only symptom, other than original chills, was the back of my throat being sensitive to any forceful air passing through which would cause some discomfort and coughing. The throat issue started a few days in and is now about 99% gone.
I've been working from home and my company requires that I be symptom free and test negative before returning to the office. I mentioned that the CDC and local health authorities seem to agree that additional tests are not recommended and a positive test result can be had as much as 3 months after initial symptoms. Unfortunately the policy is flowed down from corporate and the local facility appears to have no leeway. It's possible it will be another week+ before being allowed back into the office.

HR and/or the GM have called me everyday to check on my status and originally to gather info for contact tracing within the company.
3 reported positive tests at work that week at my faculty . This brought our total to 4 for the facility which has about 120 employees on site.
Because I'm in my 60's local health authorities (a nurse) have checked in on me about 3 times.

From 1st symptom to test = about 48 hours (Convenient MD)
From test to results = about 72 hours
Days out of the office = probably going to be around 15 assuming I test negative.

Yeah, not a great trajectory for the Commonwealth.  Supposedly an announcement from Wolf today.  Hopefully the plateau is coming soon - the rate of increase in ICU seems to at least be slowing (from covidtracking😞

11/3-11/10 : +31%

11/10-11/17 : +47%

11/17-11/24 : + 43%

11/24-12/1 : +17%

12/1-12/8 : +20%
Where I am in Chesco the number of cases seems to have gone down since last week.  Still high positivity rate based on those being tested though.  

Well here we go, barring any setbacks I’ll start administering the COVID vaccine the day after Christmas and will probably receive it before that. We will be immunizing Group 1B in AZ which includes essential workers, high risk medical conditions and adults over 65. Very broad categories, so hopefully they’ve got a good plan to decide who gets it or it will be a huge mess.
Thanks for sharing and good luck. If you happen to overhear any information, I am specifically interested in if they would accommodate a spouse of an extremely high risk person if that high risk person is not a good candidate yet to get it themselves.

I know it’s a specific situation, but in most ways it would be good enough for me to get it (healthy, would be fine with any side effects) and not bring it home to my wife (cystic fibrosis) until we know more about impact on people like her. 

Thanks for sharing and good luck. If you happen to overhear any information, I am specifically interested in if they would accommodate a spouse of an extremely high risk person if that high risk person is not a good candidate yet to get it themselves.

I know it’s a specific situation, but in most ways it would be good enough for me to get it (healthy, would be fine with any side effects) and not bring it home to my wife (cystic fibrosis) until we know more about impact on people like her. 
I’ll pass along anything I hear. We’ve got a call tomorrow that might give some more details. From what I’ve heard so far the focus is on the high risk individuals not on the close contacts. It’s likely too broad of a category but her CF doctor may be able pull some strings for you. She’d likely be close to the front of the line. With the mRNA being a new vaccine technology, I’m not sure what the recommendations are for immunocompromised people but I’d think any risk are far outweighed by the benefits. You may be able to take her place in line if she’s not recommended to get it but probably not right away.

If I’m given the opportunity, I’ll try to set aside a few doses of each delivery for special situations like yours. But it all depends on how they roll it out and how many doses we get.

Biff84 said:
I’ll pass along anything I hear. We’ve got a call tomorrow that might give some more details. From what I’ve heard so far the focus is on the high risk individuals not on the close contacts. It’s likely too broad of a category but her CF doctor may be able pull some strings for you. She’d likely be close to the front of the line. With the mRNA being a new vaccine technology, I’m not sure what the recommendations are for immunocompromised people but I’d think any risk are far outweighed by the benefits. You may be able to take her place in line if she’s not recommended to get it but probably not right away.

If I’m given the opportunity, I’ll try to set aside a few doses of each delivery for special situations like yours. But it all depends on how they roll it out and how many doses we get.
I wonder how many people will be approaching you with cash offers for a dose.

Also, hats off to the FDA for waiting until close of business to (maybe) approve a life-saving vaccine that other countries are already distributing.  Nice job, gentlemen.

What's the status of the vaccine supply? (don't know if thats been discussed) 

I keep seeing rumblings thru various reports that the United States doesn't have enough vaccine dosages contracted. Something to the tune of 200m doses combined between Pfizer/Moderna (which would be 100m people) and that a re-up could be potentially delayed until summer.

I keep seeing rumblings thru various reports that the United States doesn't have enough vaccine dosages contracted. Something to the tune of 200m doses combined between Pfizer/Moderna (which would be 100m people) and that a re-up could be potentially delayed until summer.
So Pfizer has 100 million doses for US (50 mill people).   Pfizer was like you sure you don't want more. US said we're good, we paid for this other one. Pfizer said, ok, we will sell to the rest of the world. Pfizer is first to market. US "double our supply". Pfizer sorry you said you were good.  US now mad a Pfizer, and random order to try to make Pfizer give more but they can't.

It shouldn't matter technically if we get 100 mill people, the transmission in theory should drop dramatically 

I don’t know the exact numbers but that’s probably close. I wanna say they have a large amount of the AstraZenica vaccine ordered, like 500M. 

AstraZenica is the dodgy one with suspect results, no?
I believe so but I haven’t looked much into it. Probably will still get approved. The original goal for vaccine development was only like 60% effective. That’s why these first two vaccines were so impressive.

So Pfizer has 100 million doses for US (50 mill people).   Pfizer was like you sure you don't want more. US said we're good, we paid for this other one. Pfizer said, ok, we will sell to the rest of the world. Pfizer is first to market. US "double our supply". Pfizer sorry you said you were good.  US now mad a Pfizer, and random order to try to make Pfizer give more but they can't.

It shouldn't matter technically if we get 100 mill people, the transmission in theory should drop dramatically 
Let's just say I'm not a fan but I think this is being a bit harsh. Had they committed to buying 500m doses and then it didn't work people would be pissed at wasting taxpayer money. Kinda tough to pick a winner and buy enough when also competing with the rest of the world. 

Let's just say I'm not a fan but I think this is being a bit harsh. Had they committed to buying 500m doses and then it didn't work people would be pissed at wasting taxpayer money. Kinda tough to pick a winner and buy enough when also competing with the rest of the world. 
I don’t believe any of the US vaccine orders were guaranteed, they were dependent on approval.

https://endpts.com/astrazenecas-vaccine-hit-its-first-roadblock-with-indian-regulators-will-lingering-doubts-derail-its-plans-elsewhere/

India already said no thanks to giving emergency use to the AstraZeneca vaccine.   You have to wonder if that is going to happen all over, due to the strange/inconsistent results.  If they do approve it, will people be happy to get a 60-90% vaccine when +90% vaccines exist?  

Here's the Derek Lowe take on that one.  There seem to be a few oddities with it:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/09/the-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-efficacy-data

Update: Now 4 employees (so far) at our residential house positive. Likely will be more with testing again today (and I'm the last to get news as only there weekends)

And other residential facilities now have positive cases (likely due to the above spreader event). The organizer of the event is reportedly "under investigation"/reassigned.

--------------

Also read that there's been 36k+ cases (!!) in past 2 weeks in Maricopa County (AZ). I haven't followed the #s at all, just seems crazy high.
Now at least 5 employees are positive (very likely many more that I'm simply not aware of yet). Mine came back positive this PM. :(  

Was in bed all day Tues/Wed. Still dry coughing a ton today but have normal level of energy. Went to state's drive thru facility this AM and got the results within 12 hours. Kinda figured it was coming unfortunately. 

Now at least 5 employees are positive (very likely many more that I'm simply not aware of yet). Mine came back positive this PM. :(  

Was in bed all day Tues/Wed. Still dry coughing a ton today but have normal level of energy. Went to state's drive thru facility this AM and got the results within 12 hours. Kinda figured it was coming unfortunately. 
Get better quick GB.

So Dallas is basically at 2x the caseload of the first peak with half the deaths.  Neat.  

Nobody really gives a flying ####.  It's BAU for virtually everyone.  Even morning traffic starting to look normal, lots of people coming back to office from WFH to do annual round up reviews and things.

Wait, hold on a second.  The vaccine still isn't approved?

I mean, it's not like this is urgent or anything.  Are they going to release a puff of white smoke or something to let us know when they get around to making a decision?

Wait, hold on a second.  The vaccine still isn't approved?

I mean, it's not like this is urgent or anything.  Are they going to release a puff of white smoke or something to let us know when they get around to making a decision?
The problem is the US is only working at warp speed while other countries are apparently working at ludicrous speed. The FDA and CDC predictably look terrible here. CDC says to expect deaths on the scale of 9/11 every day for 3 months but needs to wait till Sunday or next week to see if the 95% effective vaccine sitting around can be used? Meanwhile, everyone else bought it up so we won’t have enough for everyone til maybe summer or fall. In the meantime, be sure to wash your hands.

Interesting that 5 people did not vote to recommend EUA. That is pretty surprising. 

Eta: looks like it was only because of age. They wanted it to be 18 and over, no 16-17 year olds. 

The problem is the US is only working at warp speed while other countries are apparently working at ludicrous speed. The FDA and CDC predictably look terrible here. CDC says to expect deaths on the scale of 9/11 every day for 3 months but needs to wait till Sunday or next week to see if the 95% effective vaccine sitting around can be used? Meanwhile, everyone else bought it up so we won’t have enough for everyone til maybe summer or fall. In the meantime, be sure to wash your hands.
Sums up my feelings as well, including the snarkyness. I get it, checks and balances but for ####s sake, you can't sit on top of the mountain pointing a finger telling everyone what they are doing wrong and how they are endangering everyone by their actions and on then drag your ####### feet approving the very thing that might actually immediately have an impact on saving those endangered lives. #### all of them and their hubris, get this #### done!

Users who are viewing this thread