What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (24 Viewers)

The county where I  grew up is around 7k in population and is getting 50 ish cases per day.
Are you from wyoming? What county is that? I lived in park county and even they have 30,000 people.

edit, I lived in many counties in Wyoming, i was trying to think of the one with the smallest population that i lived in.  I worked in bighorn county, but they have 11,000 people.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin lives outside Cleveland.  His wife is a nurse who worked her way up the admin side of things and is now some higher up manager type.  Last week they called her in to start working on the floor.  Last time she was doing actual nurse things was 15 years ago.

Welp, I’ll know by the end of the day if I’ll be getting the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow and then the second shot 21 days later. If I do get it then I’ll post how I’m feeling on Saturday after I drive down to So Cal. 
No sure why the welping. You'll be fine, and on your way to resuming life much closer to normal.

No sure why the welping. You'll be fine, and on your way to resuming life much closer to normal.
I had only received a text message telling me that I was probably getting it tomorrow, since then I’ve gotten more information (ie what’s in the vaccine) and I’m not worried about it. 

My cousin lives outside Cleveland.  His wife is a nurse who worked her way up the admin side of things and is now some higher up manager type.  Last week they called her in to start working on the floor.  Last time she was doing actual nurse things was 15 years ago.
My wife's hospital was getting all certifications up to date for anyone that had nursing experience.  I don't think they have gotten to the point of using them yet.

Sooo, after an outbreak hit a centralized dispatch location for the overnight air express giant that I work for (rhymes with DefEx) and sent everyone home (and after two states mandated the same) the powers that be are finally allowing all those dispatchers who wish to work from home to do so effective 12/28. Until 2/1. :shock:  

Because magic. The Rona threat will dissipate in 30 days. The email also detailed "New CDC Guidelines" regarding masking that in reality have been in place for months. Another example on how behind we are with regards to Covid: Our first official departmental email on masking protocol in our office went out on 8/3.

No, not 4/3 or 5/3 or 6/3 oooor 7/3. EIGHT/THREE.

But, hey- we are moving the vaccine now, so there's that. Essential employees and now being spun as "Heros."

Penguin said:
California reported over 61k today :shock:

jvdesigns2002 said:
Yup---it's really bad out here. I'm in Orange County and there is 0% ICU bed capacity left.  They are starting to build field hospitals to help deal with overflow.  The children's hospital out here (CHOC) has agreed to take adults that are up to 29 years old that have Covid to help treat them.    Apparently they are calling retired doctors, nurses, medical personnel to see they are willing to get back to work and help with the crisis.  Having a job that forces me to work with the public in this environment is brutally stressful.  Be safe everybody 
Yeah things are bad here.  Since this thing started early this year we've been one of the best states/regions numbers-wise but things are surging bad.  

I guess in-person Thanksgiving celebrations were part of the problem.  I'll admit, me and my family got together with our "small bubble" consisting of my parents and my sister/her son.

My wife is freaked but we are taking precautions.

acarey50 said:
We don't want your NorCal cooties unless you are bringing bourbon.     😀
Dude once things settle down lets get together and do some tastings.   Old Forester is now my fave.

So I had ordered another batch of the Powecom masks and I see they got held up in Oak Creek. Have been sitting there for 5 days according to tracking. Thought that was odd. Then I heard on the radio today that the Oak Creek USPS facility has lots of people out due to covid and packages are piling up.

Not sure if that is irony...

MTskibum said:
Are you from wyoming? What county is that? I lived in park county and even they have 30,000 people.

edit, I lived in many counties in Wyoming, i was trying to think of the one with the smallest population that i lived in.  I worked in bighorn county, but they have 11,000 people.
I am from PA

Not happy with the news of Bell's Palsy being a possible side effect. My wife is still getting over her SECOND case of it. Her facial muscles likely would never recover from a third.

Not happy with the news of Bell's Palsy being a possible side effect. My wife is still getting over her SECOND case of it. Her facial muscles likely would never recover from a third.
30k+ got the vax. 4 got BP. This is actually well below the expected background rate of the general public. 

I'm getting the vaccine Monday. I work in research in a regulatory and analytical capacity in a building connected to the main hospital building, not front line and almost no patient contact. Initially there was a 4 tiered approach and I was bottom priority, but then they opened it at once to everyone who is a hospital employee. Non-clinical staff does come in contact with clinical staff in the elevators, cafeteria, etc. So it makes sense to offer the vaccine to everyone. Also, I heard reduced demand (about 50% don't want the vaccine now) opened up slots. One motivation for me is to visit my 2 daughters who moved to California this year. They said don't travel until you get the vaccine.

Just to mention, the Balkans have been hit hard lately.  Looking at worldwide deaths/million, five of the top ten are now from the Balkan region.  That corner of SE Europe was generally spared last spring ...but not anymore.  

Worst day here in Austin since the peak in July. No sign of slowing down. We’re already at capacity in ICUs. Sucks.
1600+ in San Antonio today alone. Hospitalizations, ICU and ventilator usage all up. All the irresponsible Thanksgiving behavior coming home to roost.

Well, I’m not getting the vaccine this week. They’re telling us to count on having 2 days (at least) off after getting it because of symptoms: fever, body aches, muscle pain, etc. And I’m scheduled to work the next 5 days after tonight.

I think they’re having a clinic the day I get off (Wednesday) but no way am I risking feeling like I have COVID over Christmas and ruining that for me and my son.

I guess I’ll get it after the New Year, and it won’t be the Pfizer vaccine but the other one- Moderna?

30k+ got the vax. 4 got BP. This is actually well below the expected background rate of the general public. 
Which is fine for the general public but not someone predisposed. 

Don't think you can use the vaccine as a doorstop for employment. Lawyers will have a field day with this if goes down that road.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has fired the opening salvo:

Employers can bar unvaccinated employees from the workplace, EEOC says (CBS News, 12/17/2020)

With the first doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine now being administered in the U.S., the federal government is giving employers around the country the green light to require immunization for most workers.

In general, companies have the legal right to mandate that employees get a COVID-19 shot, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) said Wednesday. More specifically, employers are entitled — and required — to ensure a safe workplace in which "an individual shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of individuals in the workplace." That can mean a company requiring its workforce to be vaccinated.

The Americans with Disabilities Act limits an employer's ability to require workers to get a medical examination. But the EEOC's latest guidance clarifies that getting vaccinated does not constitute a medical exam. As a result, ordering employees to get a COVID-19 shot would not violate the ADA.
There are a few nuances and carve-outs later in the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same. Less painful than the flu. But I’m <15 mins post (they ask us to wait 15 mins after before letting us go - nobody seems to be suffering ill effects in the post vaccine waiting room)
yeah, 0 pain and it's been about an hour now since I got mine. A few of the corpman said they felt more tired and a little off later in the evening when they go there's but fine the next day. 

This is going to be a monster of a backbend for the new SC Justices to manage.  Who is their daddy in this situation?  Anti-Vax red staters or Corporate interests?

My vaccine injection was delayed from Monday the 21st to the following Monday. The hospital is switching from Pfizer to Moderna due to better logistics. The 2nd dose for Moderna is 28 days after the first, but only 21 days for Pfizer.

nirad3 said:
Yeah.  It was fantastic.  Only $45 at a local place so I should probably grab some more.
Wow - that is a great deal.  We have it at our local Costco for $52 and I thought that was a great deal.  At $45 you should buy a few.

Just a reminder of why it’s important to always be thinking cautiously and don’t make exceptions. Last week went by friend’s brewery to drop off some beer and get some to go for the weekend. He’s a little busy doing a couple things, so her offers me a free pour while I wait. They aren’t too busy, so I take him up on it. The only other person in the same area is an employee having a beer on his day off. I only stick around for 10-15 minutes.

Fast forward to today and they post that a staff member tested positive. Through the process of elimination it was clear who it is without being told - the employee sitting near me. He was exposed due to a close contact not telling him that she had tested positive. So the mistake of one person could quickly trickle down. It’s unlikely that I have to worry because it has been 10 days and the suspected exposure happened after I was there. But it just goes to show how any little mistake could become a problem.

8 hours later and I now feel like ####, bit of a sore throat, chills and a headache. Hopefully I wake up feeling fine or the drive to so cal will suck
Hope you get to feeling better GB, but do keep in mind that this is the body putting up an immune response, which is GOOD. 

I've always been curious why some get effects like this and some don't. Maybe the ones that don't didn't need the vaccine? Something I've always pondered. 

Doug B said:
Don't think you can use the vaccine as a doorstop for employment. Lawyers will have a field day with this if goes down that road.

Employers can bar unvaccinated employees from the workplace, EEOC says (CBS News, 12/17/2020)

With the first doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine now being administered in the U.S., the federal government is giving employers around the country the green light to require immunization for most workers.

In general, companies have the legal right to mandate that employees get a COVID-19 shot, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) said Wednesday. More specifically, employers are entitled — and required — to ensure a safe workplace in which "an individual shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of individuals in the workplace." That can mean a company requiring its workforce to be vaccinated.

The Americans with Disabilities Act limits an employer's ability to require workers to get a medical examination. But the EEOC's latest guidance clarifies that getting vaccinated does not constitute a medical exam. As a result, ordering employees to get a COVID-19 shot would not violate the ADA.
It's going to depend from state to state.  Generally speaking, it does look like employers here will be able to take this path and require them as long as there are caveats for certain things like medical conditions, allergies and some other things that apply to existing vaccines.  

Users who are viewing this thread