What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Fascinating preprint about possible differences in disease severity based on infection route.
I thought this was going to be about the physiological infection "route" -- IOW, which part of the body first "picked up" the virions. It's been theorized for some time that infections taking root in the nasal passages are milder than those starting in, say, the bronchi.

But, yeah, the article you linked ... another blow among many to the "wipe EVERYTHING down!" ethic. Public places can ditch the disinfectant wipes, and instead stock up on UV wands for their HVAC ducts.

But, yeah, the article you linked ... another blow among many to the "wipe EVERYTHING down!" ethic. Public places can ditch the disinfectant wipes, and instead stock up on UV wands for their HVAC ducts.
For once I kinda know what someone is talking about in this thread, re: modular needlepoint bipolar ionization. Stick to straight UV light and blast the #### out of it. We know that kills the virus on a molecular level. These other approaches, while viable, are difficult to prove out. My fear is there is a burgeoning industry around every "throw it at the wall & see what sticks" technology today that is going to capitalize on the COVID fear and bilk millions of people into thinking they are doing something to combat the virus when it really has little effect.

UV LED's come to mind. They work and they do emit UV light but you need X to the power of N of them to produce the same amount of killing light needed to effect the virus as a UV bulb produces. Or you need incredibly long exposure.

Cowboysfan8 said:
The restrictions will ease on the 4th as planned. Wolf scheduled this to limit gatherings during the holidays 

imo
Personally I think they should move it to the 11th.   I know several people that are crazy and are planning to either host or go to a NYE party.  10 days beyond that makes more sense than 3 IMO.

It's looking like the UK mutation may have had origins in South Africa, given how far along the new mutation is in SA. 
Any word on if it's actually more contagious?  
The new strain creates a larger viral load in the host, so the host has more virus to shed. Nobody positively knows if it is in fact more contagious or how much more contagious it might be. Common sense would tell you it is more contagious but common sense does not  apply during these trying times. 

Yea I know. Excited for mid-January to get here. 
I don't think this is a political thing, as much as people would like it to be.  The vaccine hasn't been out long and it likely takes awhile for things logistically to work out. The USA has administered the most in the world. 500k vaccines have been administered from Monday to today.  That's progress, and I expect that as we move forward, logistics will only get better.  

I don't want to fire up another CV-19 thread but I do think the CV-19 Vaccine might need its own thread but I'll try and post in here since we've been good about keeping all info in here.

My wife is a Director for a hospital, she specializes in fundraising and I feel the public is not being told honestly about how the vaccine is being distributed. Here in Florida, I think the Gov has acted in a political way to curry favor and the reality is what he is saying and what is actually happening on the ground are very different.  

-We have donors calling in wanting to get vaccinated right away, saying they'll be down to the hospital in the morning and that's not how it works. 

-Lee County received like maybe 85 doses and they should go to people WORKING in the hospitals FIRST and then I have another list of frontline workers that are not 65-75+ in age that likely should get it first but I don't want to make this about opinions, I'm trying to give you facts. 

-The hospitals will vaccinate their staff first including doctors, nurses, the custodian, everybody. There isn't enough doses to even get them all vaccinated let alone the general public that wants it. 

I encourage you to not let up just because the vaccine was created. Things are going to get a lot worse I'm afraid before they get better. Please protect yourself and those you love and please don't think because you had it once or have antibody tracings now that you are 100% immune, there seems to be a 2nd strain much stronger, you all would know more about it than I do. 

MoP is not watching news and trying to 86 most of the news sites that have filled up my screens over the years. As an aside, I'm much happier in general and my relationships with my wife and son are strong. I'll try and respond to any direct posts or questions but I beg you to not trust most of the news sources or reports you are glancing at. They are filled with political rhetoric and a lot of misinformation I'm afraid. 

Opinion: -I do find it appalling that the wealthiest County per capita in Lee County(Naples/Ft Myers) is getting the vaccine first. We have Seniors throughout Florida so it's not because they have old people, Florida has them everywhere. Sure seems like a $money trail can be found here somewhere, any news reporting on that? I didn't think so...

Last edited by a moderator:
For once I kinda know what someone is talking about in this thread, re: modular needlepoint bipolar ionization. Stick to straight UV light and blast the #### out of it. We know that kills the virus on a molecular level. These other approaches, while viable, are difficult to prove out.
Wait -- are you saying that the GPS wand I linked is a useful tool or a piece of junk?

Some local hospitals installed these wands this past spring. Not their only COVID mitigation measure by any means ... but still. GPS seems to be moving these wands.

I don't think this is a political thing, as much as people would like it to be.  The vaccine hasn't been out long and it likely takes awhile for things logistically to work out. The USA has administered the most in the world. 500k vaccines have been administered from Monday to today.  That's progress, and I expect that as we move forward, logistics will only get better.  
I don’t mean for it to be *that* political but Biden is going to roll out the wartime defense protection act to help, which should effectively grease the wheels. But yes I actually agree this doesn’t all just fall on Trump, this is almost a logistically impossible act to pull off. 

As an aside, I don’t think there is as much discussion on how many people will get the second shot. I see that being a real problem. 

Wait -- are you saying that the GPS wand I linked is a useful tool or a piece of junk?

Some local hospitals installed these wands this past spring. Not their only COVID mitigation measure by any means ... but still. GPS seems to be moving these wands.
I think he said use UV not ionization. 

I think he said use UV not ionization. 
Ack -- that was supposed to be a link to a UV wand :bag:

EDIT: This is a better link to demonstrate how UV light can be used with HVAC systems and ductwork.

As an aside, I don’t think there is as much discussion on how many people will get the second shot. I see that being a real problem. 
It is concerning.  I expect some people will fall through the cracks on that one.  When my wife got the vaccine last week they immediately scheduled her second shot.  No idea what type of follow up would happen if she missed that second dose appointment for some reason.  The other thing I don't know is how they can guarantee supply of that second dose, and what if they don't screw up and give her one from a different manufacturer. 

I don’t mean for it to be *that* political but Biden is going to roll out the wartime defense protection act to help, which should effectively grease the wheels. But yes I actually agree this doesn’t all just fall on Trump, this is almost a logistically impossible act to pull off. 

What will this wartime protection act allow the feds to do that they can't do now?

Not much.  The problem isn’t manufacturing.  It’s distribution.  Their manufacturing is at max capacity.  It would only matter if they needed to shift from other things 
My understanding is that there are raw materials that are difficult to procure in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, which the defense production act could help with. I don't really understand why manufacturing of either mRNA vaccine is an issue outside of that. One of the big benefits of the mRNA vaccines is that one bioreactor the size of a 2-liter bottle can yield 1 million doses. Are there really not that many bioreactors around?

If there really is a plentiful supply, which I'm not sure is the case, it seems that an effective Federal Government should be able to handle mass vaccinations. This should be a wartime effort IMO. Not just waiting for CVS or Walgreens to get some vials. Have the National Guard, or even the Army, set up drive through vaccinations centers for people who want it. For the RNA vaccines, the cold storage could be centralized in one location and have people drive there to get it without having to get out of their car. Like the testing stations.

DFW and Love Field have been shut down for the last 2 hours.  Seems as if air traffic control in north Texas had a positive person, so they had to do a deep cleaning.  No air traffic in north Texas for last 2 hours.  Should start up again at around 530 they say.  Son and girl friend stuck in Omaha airport, got this text "we are good dad, bar is open and we've got masks on".  

Gov. Dewine said today that only 40% of nursing home workers are agreeing to take the vaccine.   Not good.
This is crazy. They need to get new jobs. Mandatory vaccines in general shouldn’t be a thing but for some jobs they absolutely should be mandated. 

Gov. Dewine said today that only 40% of nursing home workers are agreeing to take the vaccine.   Not good.
I’m not a huge fan of a vaccine mandate but roll up your sleeve or find a new job. Shot isn’t for you, it’s to protect the residents. 40% of any population is bad, 40% of nursing home workers is disgusting.

Dumbest country on the planet. 
I read a story years ago about a neanderthal (maybe cromags?) tribe that went died out of existence because based on evidence they refused to removed their settlement to get food and water, despite it being just miles away.  People are strange.

I’m not a huge fan of a vaccine mandate but roll up your sleeve or find a new job. Shot isn’t for you, it’s to protect the residents. 40% of any population is bad, 40% of nursing home workers is disgusting.
This is completely due to failure of:distrust of federal leadership. You are never going to cut the crazy to 0% but decent, united, thoughtful federal guidance would triumph over conspiracy theories. 

This is completely due to failure of:distrust of federal leadership. You are never going to cut the crazy to 0% but decent, united, thoughtful federal guidance would triumph over conspiracy theories. 
I agree. There should be non-stop commercials on about this. Billboards, every conceivable person who is considered trustworthy should be getting it on tv...why is there so much malaise over this????

I agree. There should be non-stop commercials on about this. Billboards, every conceivable person who is considered trustworthy should be getting it on tv...why is there so much malaise over this????
I will not be satisfied until hot starlets are filming psas in tight clothing.  “Wanna storm my beaches?  Better get in line for your shot soldier!”

Ack -- that was supposed to be a link to a UV wand :bag:

EDIT: This is a better link to demonstrate how UV light can be used with HVAC systems and ductwork.
Ack indeed. This link is what the future will look like. As an aside, if you are out of work and want to print money, get your HVAC license. Between the the work that will be generated by this virus for systems like this and the coming tidal wave of R22 systems that will need to be retrofitted, it’s a position that will have work for years & years at ‘name your price’ type levels.

Just read on FB from one of our local SC Senators that we have received 112,000 doses of the vaccine but have only administered 31,500 doses so far. If you don’t want it, no problem, move over so I can hop in line. I thought we had some whiz bang military distribution plan in place? This is stupid. There are millions of people that want this, if you don’t I respect that, heck my wife & daughter both said they won’t get it but I’ll take it. Right now, get out of the way.

So we were told 20 million would be vaccinated by the end of the month. Number vaccinated, 1 million. So we are running at 5% of planned. For us regular schmoes, looking like what, maybe 2022 before we have a shot at getting one?
2.1 million as of yesterday according to the CDC. I know it's not the 20 million number thrown out by Trump, but, operation warp speed is crushing the UK who is only at 600,000 even though they had vaccine approval 2 weeks ahead of us. You wont hear that form MSM though.  

2.1 million as of yesterday according to the CDC. I know it's not the 20 million number thrown out by Trump, but, operation warp speed is crushing the UK who is only at 600,000 even though they had vaccine approval 2 weeks ahead of us. You wont hear that form MSM though.  
They've got 1/5 the population of the USA, they're ahead by % of population. 

If they really wanted to push the vaccine out to everyone quickly the States would have to declare states of emergency and activate their emergency plans. This would mean mobilization of the National Guard, full Medical Reserve Corps activation, and would include all State and Local employees. Virginia can run distribution sites 24 hours a day with 2 shifts indefinitely. But the cost would be high and it would cause the complete shutdown of most government services for the duration. 
Very little chance that will happen.

If they really wanted to push the vaccine out to everyone quickly the States would have to declare states of emergency and activate their emergency plans. This would mean mobilization of the National Guard, full Medical Reserve Corps activation, and would include all State and Local employees. Virginia can run distribution sites 24 hours a day with 2 shifts indefinitely. But the cost would be high and it would cause the complete shutdown of most government services for the duration. 
Very little chance that will happen.
Ok but what could possibly be more important than this?  What is the Guard and the medical reserves doing that comes before this?

Ack indeed. This link is what the future will look like. As an aside, if you are out of work and want to print money, get your HVAC license. Between the the work that will be generated by this virus for systems like this and the coming tidal wave of R22 systems that will need to be retrofitted, it’s a position that will have work for years & years at ‘name your price’ type levels.

Just read on FB from one of our local SC Senators that we have received 112,000 doses of the vaccine but have only administered 31,500 doses so far. If you don’t want it, no problem, move over so I can hop in line. I thought we had some whiz bang military distribution plan in place? This is stupid. There are millions of people that want this, if you don’t I respect that, heck my wife & daughter both said they won’t get it but I’ll take it. Right now, get out of the way.
It’s pretty disappointing. Get everyone who is interested in it pre-registered. Divide them into the different groups based on risk, age and exposure risk. Set a timeframe for additional people to sign up and join the group. Vaccinate the first group and move right into the next. Anyone who missed on their group can join the current group.

This should have been started before the vaccines were approved so that when the vaccine shows up they have a group lined up already. We should have locations begging to get more vaccine not looking for more people to vaccinate. Hopefully future rounds are better but I doubt it.

It’s pretty disappointing. Get everyone who is interested in it pre-registered. Divide them into the different groups based on risk, age and exposure risk. Set a timeframe for additional people to sign up and join the group. Vaccinate the first group and move right into the next. Anyone who missed on their group can join the current group.

This should have been started before the vaccines were approved so that when the vaccine shows up they have a group lined up already. We should have locations begging to get more vaccine not looking for more people to vaccinate. Hopefully future rounds are better but I doubt it.
Or just have a lottery based on age. Start with birth year of 1910 and work up. You don't want it? It goes to the next guy and you go to the back of the line. 

Just wanted to chime in on the vaccine discussion as that seems to understandably be a big topic in this thread right now.  Full disclosure---the stuff that I'm going to say is based on a conversation that I had with a customer of mine who has a pretty significant position in a large pharma company.  She's very intelligent and is quite the scientist--and needless to say--I'm not a scientist by any means.  There is no doubt in my mind that I'm probably not describing what she told me fully accurately just because of my limited understanding.  Here's basically the cliff notes of what she told me. 

She absolutely believes that vaccination will help tremendously against Covid. She also thinks that most likely there will be many vaccines that have a solid level of efficacy--including both the moderna and Pfizer ones IF they are administered properly.   Notice that I wrote "if" in all caps in regards to the Moderna and Pfizer ones.  Being that she is a scientist--she explained to me that even as a scientist ---working with RNA is a pretty tough task versus working with other substances.  She says its very sensitive, can break down easily, and handling/administering it in the form of a vaccine requires more work and precision than administering your standard type of vaccine (temperature controls, has to be mixed with lipids..etc). Her point was that distributing it is hard enough--but administering them in an envnironment when medical personnel are limited is going to be extremely difficult. She believes that people are probably learning on the fly how to work with and administer RNA vaccines and if it's not done super properly--she thinks that their efficacy could drop.  She is of the belief that the game changer in regards to vaccinations will occur when a few of the other pharma companies release the standard "non-RNA" based vaccines.  She believes that because they dont require the insane termperature requirements, are single shot,  that they don't require extra training to administer--that once they become available on the market---the vaccination process will start to really gain pace and traction.    Take it for what it's worth--but  I felt like it made sense. 

Can I just throw out some love to @Joe Bryant, @David Dodds, and the rest of the FBG team that keep this forum alive during wild times.... if we are being honest... us chewing up bandwidth talking about Covid is making them zero money,

At the same time, this thread is part of why I have spent tens of thousands of hours on these pages (and a few bucks on subscriptions too 😉

Cheesy moment of thanks for keeping this forum alive.

But screw that KO guy behind the curtain down here in Memphis..... he's got no part in this  ;)  ❤️

Ok but what could possibly be more important than this?  What is the Guard and the medical reserves doing that comes before this?
Ok, think about it for just a second. The guard are mostly weekend warriors that have real day jobs. The MRC are mostly active medical personnel that also volunteer. Basically, to activate both in 100% force you are looking at a near shutdown of other essential services in order to vaccinate for months. That doesn’t include the other government employees that would be necessary to man the distribution points. You are looking at a partial to full shutdown of the construction trades, logistical distribution chains not related to the vaccine, etc.

Also if there are any issue in manufacturing or production of food products there would be no one to clear the facility to begin production again as the regulators are directing traffic at a drive thru vaccination clinic. 

pick your poison for the next few months. 

All 50 U.S. states, and organized U.S. territories, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia.

Just wanted to chime in on the vaccine discussion as that seems to understandably be a big topic in this thread right now.  Full disclosure---the stuff that I'm going to say is based on a conversation that I had with a customer of mine who has a pretty significant position in a large pharma company.  She's very intelligent and is quite the scientist--and needless to say--I'm not a scientist by any means.  There is no doubt in my mind that I'm probably not describing what she told me fully accurately just because of my limited understanding.  Here's basically the cliff notes of what she told me. 

She absolutely believes that vaccination will help tremendously against Covid. She also thinks that most likely there will be many vaccines that have a solid level of efficacy--including both the moderna and Pfizer ones IF they are administered properly.   Notice that I wrote "if" in all caps in regards to the Moderna and Pfizer ones.  Being that she is a scientist--she explained to me that even as a scientist ---working with RNA is a pretty tough task versus working with other substances.  She says its very sensitive, can break down easily, and handling/administering it in the form of a vaccine requires more work and precision than administering your standard type of vaccine (temperature controls, has to be mixed with lipids..etc). Her point was that distributing it is hard enough--but administering them in an envnironment when medical personnel are limited is going to be extremely difficult. She believes that people are probably learning on the fly how to work with and administer RNA vaccines and if it's not done super properly--she thinks that their efficacy could drop.  She is of the belief that the game changer in regards to vaccinations will occur when a few of the other pharma companies release the standard "non-RNA" based vaccines.  She believes that because they dont require the insane termperature requirements, are single shot,  that they don't require extra training to administer--that once they become available on the market---the vaccination process will start to really gain pace and traction.    Take it for what it's worth--but  I felt like it made sense. 
JandJ vaccine will be the prime vaccine especially if they can keep it to the one shot

Agreed.  I'm not sure that the National Guard is really the right solution for vaccine distribution, but our current distribution system isn't consistent with covid being a national emergency, which it clearly is.  People are right to be angry if the same government that shut down their small business can't manage to approve and distribute vaccines in a timely manner. 

Enrolled my son in the adolescent Pfizer trial for kids age 12-17.  This is the same one they did for the adults but now for teens in order to get approval for rollout.  Spent 3 hours yesterday in the morning at the location, getting labs drawn, receiving the dose, and then waiting.  It's a double blind study so he has a 50/50 shot of actually getting the vaccine now.  But, they anticipate doing the same thing as they did with adults and unblinding at 6 months so he can receive it then in case he only got placebo this time.  I'll see how he feels this morning and should be able to tell if he got it or not.

A little Covid Humor to lighten your day (YMMV):

Tony Hawk @tonyhawk · 8h

at a Covid testing site (wearing masks), handing over paperwork for me & two of my kids:

woman looking over papers: "okay... Anthony, Keegan and Kadence... Hawk? Are you guys related to Tony Hawk?"

me: yes

her: "Are you pulling my leg?"

me: no, we are all directly related to him

:lol:

You guys remember when distilleries dropped everything and started manufacturing hand sanitizer?  Well, the FDA sure does.

For many American craft distillers, 2020 was already one of their worst years ever. The COVID-19-related closure of tasting rooms and cocktail bars, loss of tourism, and inability to offer in-store sampling slashed their sales revenue and cut them off from their customers. Then this week, just as it seemed they'd made it through the worst of a terrible year, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had one more surprise in store: The agency delivered notice to distilleries that had produced hand sanitizer in the early days of the pandemic that they now owe an unexpected fee to the government of more than $14,000.

(snip)

At issue is a provision of the CARES Act that reformed regulation of non-prescription drugs. Under the revised law, distilleries that produced sanitizer have been classified as "over-the-counter drug monograph facilities." The CARES Act also enacted user fees on these facilities to fund the FDA's regulatory activities. For small distillers, that means ending the year with a surprise bill for $14,060 due on February 11.
This particular agency should be burned to the ground.  Any new agency that takes its place should be staffed with entirely different people.

Users who are viewing this thread