What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

Just received a notification that someone "who passed through" Nassau County is being tested for the virus.
if "passed thru" is tantamount to "was on the RR", then we gonna have a massive fustercluck here ... currentky worming my way back from Kew Gardens ... haven't heard anything .... yet. 

Some congressman have apparently been briefed and the incubation period is two weeks.  If that's so, then it's really bad news.

China is like the worst place on earth for one of these to start because they are so isolationist and the CDC can't go in there and get a handle on it.

Twitter is not a reliable source of info but if you go on twitter and look at hashtags it will really scare you.

I hope China is just being over-the-top in their handling of this virus and that any and all of the inflammatory info out there is just conspiracy stuff.  

What's not a conspiracy is that every major scientist in this field will all tell you that it's just a matter of time until the next outbreak. 

Had a trip to Taiwan on China air scheduled first week of Feb.   Was told to cancel it regardless of fees or anything.  Full stop.  

This #### going full pandemonium?

Had a trip to Taiwan on China air scheduled first week of Feb.   Was told to cancel it regardless of fees or anything.  Full stop.  

This #### going full pandemonium?
I'm supposed to be heading to Shanghai in April. Keeping a close eye on where this is going....I have a feeling that there will be a lot more clarity on what's really happening over the next two weeks. 

Half watching PBS, and I thought I heard the expert say it’s not as bad as SARS. Is this any worse than the flu? 

Some congressman have apparently been briefed and the incubation period is two weeks.  If that's so, then it's really bad news.

China is like the worst place on earth for one of these to start because they are so isolationist and the CDC can't go in there and get a handle on it.

Twitter is not a reliable source of info but if you go on twitter and look at hashtags it will really scare you.

I hope China is just being over-the-top in their handling of this virus and that any and all of the inflammatory info out there is just conspiracy stuff.  

What's not a conspiracy is that every major scientist in this field will all tell you that it's just a matter of time until the next outbreak. 
Yeah, a 14 day incubation period is really really bad. Likely tons of people carrying it have already traveled to other countries and spread it. Already too late to stop it spreading throughout the world IMO.

Saw something on the news this morning that they are building a new hospital in Wuhan specifically to deal with this. They are aiming to complete the hospital in 6 days.  :shock:

Also heard that in typical Chinese reaction, rather than getting the word out quickly and alerting the rest of the world of the danger, China instead arrested anyone posting anything about it online initially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, a 14 day incubation period is really really bad. Likely tons of people carrying it have already traveled to other countries and spread it. Already too late to stop it spreading throughout the world IMO.

Saw something on the news this morning that they are building a new hospital in Wuhan specifically to deal with this. They are aiming to complete the hospital in 6 days.  :shock:
Wow.  Wonder if it’ll have Ethernet and all the bells & whistles. That’s fast

Not being flippant — how is this different than SARS/bird flu/ other potential outbreaks?

Also heard that in typical Chinese reaction, rather than getting the word out quickly and alerting the rest of the world of the danger, China instead arrested anyone posting anything about it online initially.
Saw them building the hospital.  They had 40 to 50 backhoes moving dirt.  Looked unreal.

This led me down a rabbit-hole that was really pretty scary from a pandemic and "who knows if they are legit videos!?!?" standpoint, but...

nothing was as troubling to me as this.

SARS-CoV fatality rate: 10% (774 of 8096 cases in 29 countries from November 2002 to July 2003)

MERS-CoV fatality rate: 35% (858 of 2494 cases in 27 countries, from September 2012 to date)

2019-CoV - ???
I  saw 3% on Twitter today, but who knows with China running interference.

Grabbed 100 N95-rated disposable masks for $30ish as a just in case precaution given China's sketchy reporting and rapidly escalating nature of this. Cheap/easy insurance. 

Figure that's a good 2-3 mo supply for us assuming semi-daily trips out of the house. 

Best case, it's another small box in the supplies closet for the inevitable bad outbreak. 

Worst case, this ends up with a SARS esque fatality rate and cases start popping up all over the US. Masks will be impossible to find or cost 10x that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/25/world/asia/china-coronavirus.html

LIVE UPDATES
Updated 18 minutes ago

Coronavirus Live Updates: China Suspends Tours Abroad as Xi Warns of ‘Grave Situation’

The authorities reported 15 new deaths in Wuhan, the center of a virus outbreak, including a medical professional in his 60s.

RIGHT NOW

The State Department has ordered all American workers at the United States Consulate in Wuhan to evacuate.

:eek:  

I get freaked out when I see people in public wearing masks. I’m always wondering, is that mask for you or me? If it’s for me, why are you outside???? 

LIVE UPDATES
Updated 18 minutes ago

Coronavirus Live Updates: China Suspends Tours Abroad as Xi Warns of ‘Grave Situation’

The authorities reported 15 new deaths in Wuhan, the center of a virus outbreak, including a medical professional in his 60s.

RIGHT NOW

The State Department has ordered all American workers at the United States Consulate in Wuhan to evacuate.

:eek:  
They need to stay there. 

Hong Kong declares a state of emergency and shuts schools.

On Saturday, Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, declared a health emergency in the semiautonomous Chinese city and said schools would be closed until mid-February.

The city is treating five coronavirus patients connected to Wuhan, and more than 100 others are suspected of having the viral pneumonia.

Hong Kong is also suspending flights and train services to Wuhan and will cancel all Lunar New Year celebrations. The Hong Kong Marathon, originally scheduled for early February, has also been called off.

Masks and hand sanitizers have sold out in most pharmacies in the city as residents have stocked up on supplies in a panic since last week.

I get freaked out when I see people in public wearing masks. I’m always wondering, is that mask for you or me? If it’s for me, why are you outside???? 
It’s an Asian thing. They think it’s to keep them from getting sick, but is basically ineffective. All a mask like that does is protect YOU from spreading droplets when coughing or what not. Airborne particulates pass around and through it no problem.

Morons.

It’s an Asian thing. They think it’s to keep them from getting sick, but is basically ineffective. All a mask like that does is protect YOU from spreading droplets when coughing or what not. Airborne particulates pass around and through it no problem.

Morons.
Scuba gear?

Hong Kong declares a state of emergency and shuts schools.

On Saturday, Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, declared a health emergency in the semiautonomous Chinese city and said schools would be closed until mid-February.

The city is treating five coronavirus patients connected to Wuhan, and more than 100 others are suspected of having the viral pneumonia.

Hong Kong is also suspending flights and train services to Wuhan and will cancel all Lunar New Year celebrations. The Hong Kong Marathon, originally scheduled for early February, has also been called off.

Masks and hand sanitizers have sold out in most pharmacies in the city as residents have stocked up on supplies in a panic since last week.
I wonder if this will effectively end the democracy protests. That would be an unfortunate side effect.

Morons.
The el cheapo masks don't do much but the proper N95 respirator masks (still paper with elastic ear loops) are quite effective against 2 way transmission of these viruses.

As such they are recommended by the CDC as effective. 

Morons.
They know that it doesn't affect them personally but do not wish to make orher people sick by stray droplets. Masks are routinely worn when suffering from the flu or anything like the common cold.

Not morons. Altruists is a better word

It is very interesting to follow the response from the Chinese authorities. In case of future outbreaks/pandemics the methods used now can be refined/improved if succesful.

Another issue is that the timing of the outbreak just before/during lunar new year is pretty much a worst case scenario for the spread of the disease

Oh great. @Mr. Ham in a virus thread at the beginning of information gathering. #Iremember cytokinitestorm

I still have a dozen pallets of colloidal silver in my basement from his hysteria during the swine flu. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Oh great. Mr. Ham in a virus thread at the beginning of information gathering. #Iremember cytokinitestorm

I still have a dozen pallets of colloidal silver in my basement from his hysteria during the swine flu. 🤦🏻‍♂️
So you are fully prepared for this???

Seeing a lot of people dismissing this and using it as a platform to rail against people for not being more worked up about the standard flu.

Standard Flu kills ~1 in 100,000

2019-nCoV currently kills 1 in 50 

Decided to get a little extra food on our normal shopping list today and the wife was giving me poop for getting extra water, peanut butter and canned goods.

I am a type one Diabetic--a disease like this is a death sentence for someone like me. I do all the shopping and 90% of the cooking for us, so if this thing blows up, I want to make sure we have close to 3 weeks of food in the house.  I watch what goes down in my neighborhood Safeway right before a snow storm is coming (think Zombie apocalypse level hording) ---I can't imagine what the community would do if this virus got real bad. 

Users who are viewing this thread