What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Denzel Mims, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Zyphros

Footballguy
Start creating threads for some of my favorites that don't have one yet.  He's still kind of low on my board as of now at WR10 but figured I'd make a thread for him now that he's getting hype from senior bowl practice.  

Fights through contact well, finishes plays and is a big body with good control and catch radius.  

He mostly caught my eye for having quick feet, sinking his hips with good cuts, and his effort.  

Highlight Reel - 2019

Couple of clips from Twitter from Senior bowl practice day 1

https://twitter.com/matty4_matera/status/1219770595568758786

https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/1219741389698797569

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1219750183992467456

Last edited by a moderator:
Baylor WR Denzel Mims finished with five catches for 75 yards and a touchdown in Wednesday's 26-14 loss to Georgia in the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

True to form, Mims (6'3/215) make a ridiculous catch in traffic on the sideline to secure Baylor's only passing touchdown. With a cornerback draped all over him, Mims was able to turn, shield the cornerback away, and pluck the ball out of the air for a score. Mims makes those kinds of grabs all the time, whether they be in the end zone or down the field on a deep pass. As of now, Mims is a fringe Day 2 prospect, but could make the official leap up with a strong NFL Combine and Senior Bowl showing.

Jan 2, 2020, 12:46 AM ET

Baylor senior WR Denzel Mims will be attending the 2020 Senior Bowl, per the event's official Twitter handle.

Mims entered the year as an exciting developmental prospect and will be finishing the season as arguably the best senior WR in the class. At 6-foot-3, 215-pounds, Mims is a size mismatch and has the absurd catch radius to match his build. While not the shiftiest player, Mims has excellent straight line speed once he gets going and is a home run threat at any time. With a strong showing in Mobile, Mims should propel himself into the second day of the draft.

SOURCE: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Nov 25, 2019, 7:46 PM ET

Justin Rodgers of The Detroit News lists Baylor senior WR Denzel Mims as a potential fit for the Detroit Lions in the 2020 draft.

There are several names listed here, but Mims is the name that pops up because there aren't many who have seen their draft stock improve more over the first half of the season. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound wideout has always intrigued, but he appears to be healthy and has put some things together for the undefeated Bears. We can't help but think he'd be an interesting pairing with Kenny Golladay in the silver and blue.

SOURCE: The Detroit News

Oct 4, 2019, 5:52 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Baylor senior WR Denzel Mims posted a grade of 85.7 on third and fourth downs last season.

Mims (6'3/208) is the top returning Big 12 wide receiver in this metric. Diving further into his key down work, 21 of his 55 catches last season occurred on third or fourth down, with six of those 21 grabs of the contested variety. His PFF grade of 85.7 in these situations was markedly higher than his overall grade of 73.3. By traditional statistics, Mims posted a 55-804-8 receiving line during the fall campaign. Baylor HC Matt Rhule believes that the senior is capable of true dominance with a little more consistency. Mims underwent surgery on his hand in early April but is expected to be a full-go for August camp as the Bears ramp up for the coming season.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Jun 26, 2019, 5:48 PM ET

Brad Kelly @BradKelly17

Denzel Mims is eating every CB alive in redzone 1-on-1’s right now. I can’t even explain how dominant he has been during Senior Bowl practices.

New Thread Title: Denzel Mims- "King Kong ain't got #### on me"
He's still a senior WR which I generally temper my expectations around those guys as much as I can.  That said, he and AGG have boosted their stock so much it might not be possible if I want to land them in rookie drafts.  

I read an article on why Baylor WRs tend to fail in the NFL and considering I spent a high pick on Coleman I’m passing.

Tex

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that "it would be surprising" if Baylor WR Denzel Mims was not drafted by the end of Day 2.

Brugler liked the improvements he saw out of Mims during the Senior Bowl practice week, noting "much-improved footwork" out of the Waco speedster when comparing his work in Mobile to what was put down on the 2019 film reel. Pro Football Network's Nick Farabaugh was similarly impressed by the 6-foot-3, 206-pound wideout's work in Mobile, writing that Mims was at "another level" in practices. Mims will be a fun one to watch at the NFL Scouting Combine upcoming, as he has slick straight-line wheels and should run a sharp 40-yard dash.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 29, 2020, 12:46 PM ET

I read an article on why Baylor WRs tend to fail in the NFL and considering I spent a high pick on Coleman I’m passing.

Tex
Coleman did not have the attitude to survive and thrive in the NFL. He had the 'Ive arrived' mentality. He's finding out that is not going to cut it. I'll be paying attention to Mims interviews. I already know he's top notch physically.

Coleman did not have the attitude to survive and thrive in the NFL. He had the 'Ive arrived' mentality. He's finding out that is not going to cut it. I'll be paying attention to Mims interviews. I already know he's top notch physically.
This seems to have been the attitude of those players coming out of Baylor QB, RBs and WRs alike.

Tex

Neither did Sammy Watkins, just look at his recent comments.  Does that make all Clemson players bad?  CJ Spiller, Mike Williams, Martavis Bryant.  

Mims plays aggressively already, I'm not worried about his attitude or ability to compete.  

This seems to have been the attitude of those players coming out of Baylor QB, RBs and WRs alike.

Tex
Which is why I want to hear his interviews and then see minicamp reports. I think he tests great at the combine and workouts. 

Neither did Sammy Watkins, just look at his recent comments.  Does that make all Clemson players bad?  CJ Spiller, Mike Williams, Martavis Bryant.  

Mims plays aggressively already, I'm not worried about his attitude or ability to compete.  
I'm not worried about his attitude, I've just had better success taking the hard working guy over the flashy college guy. I just hope I hear DK Metcalf type talk out of him. Then I know I've made a great pick.

Baylor WR Denzel Mims ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.40 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Mims (6'3/207) couples sizzling speed with an acrobatic ability to make contested catches. He has turned in a strong process to date, having already impressed during the Senior Bowl practice week. In addition to his 40-yard sprint, Mims additionally logged 16 reps on the bench press, a vertical jump of 38.5 inches and a broad jump of 131 inches during his testing day. Day 2 should very much be considered in range for Mims come April.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 27, 2020, 9:07 PM ET

Key takeaways from Day 1 of NFL combine

...For as many impressive performances we saw, nobody made themselves more money than Denzel Mims ...

...Anyone who watched Mims play at Baylor knew he was athletic. But few could have expected the elite profile he put together with some ridiculous test scores at the combine. Mims posted a 4.38 40-yard dash, a 38.5-inch vertical, a 131-inch broad jump and, perhaps most impressively, a 6.66 3-cone time. That combination of size, speed, explosiveness, and elite short-area quickness is unheard of for a receiver who weighs in at 6-foot-3, 207 pounds.

This kind of athletic upside, combined with everything he showed on the field in college, should put him in the first-round conversation. Mims lasting any later than that could make for some incredible value on Day 2.

How is his route running?  I don’t know much about this guy but his measurable indicate potential.   

The league's current gripe?

"They want to see me go faster once I get into my routes," Mims said.
I informally keep track of the players who are mentioned as good route runners throughout the draft process.  Mims is not one of the dozen or so guys who have been cited as being good at running routes.  The quote above pretty much says that he's bad at it, and the team he played for doesn't emphasize that aspect of the position.  Certainly he can learn, but it's going to take some time.

I informally keep track of the players who are mentioned as good route runners throughout the draft process.  Mims is not one of the dozen or so guys who have been cited as being good at running routes.  The quote above pretty much says that he's bad at it, and the team he played for doesn't emphasize that aspect of the position.  Certainly he can learn, but it's going to take some time.
I will take my shot on a guy who need to improve his route running. Running routes can be learned, size and speed and leaping ability is tough to improve on much at this point.

yup, crazy I know 
To provide some context for those not following posted official results. That's bonkers.

Mims, Denzel  6.66

Trautman, Adam 6.78

Johnson, Juwan  6.94

Parker, Aaron 6.94

Pittman, Michael  6.96

Osborn, K.J.  7.00

I will take my shot on a guy who need to improve his route running. Running routes can be learned, size and speed and leaping ability is tough to improve on much at this point.
Sure, I am tracking this mostly as a means of breaking ties. I don’t think it’s reasonable to draft on this skill alone 

I've seen people saying he's a good route runner.  Not sure where, but heard it at least twice. 

I informally keep track of the players who are mentioned as good route runners throughout the draft process. 
Route running is usually the first trait I seek. Just noticed going back to 2014 the WR's regarded as top route runners usually did well early and busted less. And since I play mainly in FFPC I don't have a lot of time to wait.

But route running is often hard to gauge for a non professonial, especially when I don't have coaches tape and often can't see the entire route. I try to  know my limitations. It's without a doubt the number one question and information I try to get from NFL trained talent evaluators who are now in media and a few select draft professionals that are non-NFL trained evaluators.

But it can still be subjective. And not just in an overall sense but as an example. Maybe a WR can't run a whole route tree well but he can run a few routes great. I'd label AJ Brown as being this kind of guy last year, might even say Metcalf who could run a 9 route with the best of them.

But I do try hard in my research, ask, listen and as much as I can evaluate on my own route running because I do think it's one of if most critical factors for early success and keeping my draft bust rate low.

So on subject of Mims his athletic profile is awesome. I'd also like to know how his route running is regarded? Even if his overall route tree is limited does he excel in a few routes? That's enough for me to get a little more jacked.

And if you ever feel like sharing the players you tracked as being good route runners I'd be happy if you were inclined to share it.

And if you ever feel like sharing the players you tracked as being good route runners I'd be happy if you were inclined to share it.
I probably need to clean up my methodology going forward, here's what I have for 2020.  I add a name to the list as soon as I see a reference to their route running, then add a star for every subsequent time I see it mentioned later.  A minus sign is a mention of poor route running, some people see different things in the same player, I guess.  Note that I didn't start tracking this until January, so Van and KJ got a ton of mentions during the Senior Bowl that may be junk data.

***********Jerry Jeudy (Positive Production Rating)

*******Van Jefferson (Negative Production Rating) JONES FRACTURE
*****KJ Hill (Negative Production Rating)

**Justin Jefferson (Positive Production Rating)
*James Proche (Postiive Production Rating)

*CeeDee Lamb

- -**Shenault (Positive Production Rating)
-*Tyler Johnson (Positive Production Rating)

-Gabriel Davis
Brandon Aiyuk
Mason Kinsey

Route running is usually the first trait I seek. Just noticed going back to 2014 the WR's regarded as top route runners usually did well early and busted less. And since I play mainly in FFPC I don't have a lot of time to wait.

But route running is often hard to gauge for a non professonial, especially when I don't have coaches tape and often can't see the entire route. I try to  know my limitations. It's without a doubt the number one question and information I try to get from NFL trained talent evaluators who are now in media and a few select draft professionals that are non-NFL trained evaluators.

But it can still be subjective. And not just in an overall sense but as an example. Maybe a WR can't run a whole route tree well but he can run a few routes great. I'd label AJ Brown as being this kind of guy last year, might even say Metcalf who could run a 9 route with the best of them.

But I do try hard in my research, ask, listen and as much as I can evaluate on my own route running because I do think it's one of if most critical factors for early success and keeping my draft bust rate low.

So on subject of Mims his athletic profile is awesome. I'd also like to know how his route running is regarded? Even if his overall route tree is limited does he excel in a few routes? That's enough for me to get a little more jacked.

The two comments I look for in scouting reports are route running and hands. 

Highlight reel shows some real tough grabs. He seems to track the ball well and is able to make adjustments athletically. No idea about his route tree. Looking forward to Waldman’s take on this guy.

From 3 writers at https://thedraftnetwork.com/

Route Tree - He doesn't run the most diverse tree in the world and his breaks can at times be telegraphed — needs more nuance to his route stems. That said, his body mobility and skill to snap off breaks is sufficient, especially for his size. He's best on back shoulders, fades and vertical routes where he can hand-fight.

Route Running: Not prohibitively poor here, though results are a mixed bag. Has a big stride length and a track background that helps him generate vertical push in his deep routes; does well to generate initial leverage and maintain it with frame/positioning. Has the ability to sink his hips to cut off momentum and work back to QB, though is guilty of popping upright in his stems and limiting ability to decelerate here. Graceful and explosive when working soft angles and gets into space with intention and focus on the quarterback. Is a little too averse to contact in his stem and through his break and is guilty of leaning/leaking towards space, which disrupt route distribution and timing between zone defenders. Not an ideal candidate for hard breaks and double moves given average hip sink and foot speed in breaks.

Routes - Most effective working the vertical plain where he generates excellent upfield push throughout his steam. Vertical cuts are fluid. High hips present some challenges snapping off comeback routes and executing hard horizontal cuts. Needs to watch his pad level as he’ll become upright as a route runner which negates his ability to sell breaks while robbing him of speed. Has room for technical growth. 

DENZEL MIMS

Excerpts:

Route Tree - He doesn't run the most diverse tree in the world and his breaks can at times be telegraphed — needs more nuance to his route stems. That said, his body mobility and skill to snap off breaks is sufficient, especially for his size. He's best on back shoulders, fades and vertical routes where he can hand-fight. 

Route Running: Not prohibitively poor here, though results are a mixed bag. Has a big stride length and a track background that helps him generate vertical push in his deep routes; does well to generate initial leverage and maintain it with frame/positioning. Has the ability to sink his hips to cut off momentum and work back to QB, though is guilty of popping upright in his stems and limiting ability to decelerate here. Graceful and explosive when working soft angles and gets into space with intention and focus on the quarterback. Is a little too averse to contact in his stem and through his break and is guilty of leaning/leaking towards space, which disrupt route distribution and timing between zone defenders. Not an ideal candidate for hard breaks and double moves given average hip sink and foot speed in breaks.

Routes - Most effective working the vertical plain where he generates excellent upfield push throughout his steam. Vertical cuts are fluid. High hips present some challenges snapping off comeback routes and executing hard horizontal cuts. Needs to watch his pad level as he’ll become upright as a route runner which negates his ability to sell breaks while robbing him of speed. Has room for technical growth. 
@lod001 - You beat me to the punch!

DENZEL MIMS

Excerpt:

Overview

Mims is a long-striding outside target with excellent height, weight and speed and an insane catch-radius. He's a touchdown threat anytime he's near the red zone, with the focus and body control to finesse and finish catches above the rim. He struggles to release and separate from physical press corners, and he doesn't consistently compete and outwork opponents for positioning on contested catches. If the route work and intensity catch up with his natural athletic ability, he could become a dangerous "Z" receiver in a vertical offense, but the floor might be lower than some teams are comfortable with.

route running is often hard to gauge for a non professonial, especially when I don't have coaches tape and often can't see the entire route. I try to  know my limitations. It's without a doubt the number one question and information I try to get from NFL trained talent evaluators who are now in media and a few select draft professionals that are non-NFL trained evaluators.

Two big whiffs by NFL personnel  guys last year letting AJ Brown and Metcalf fall.  Both struggled with routes but were highly productive.

Scheme/offense/what was expected/coached in college has a lot to do with route running IMHO.  Baylor's scheme asked nothing of WRs yet Josh Gordon had elite athletic skills and blew up in the NFL.  

From the outside, route running is subjective since many don't know overall scheme or specific routes.   

For fantasy purposes elite RAS scores carry weight and I think over take route running which, in many cases is subjective.

Wow that's not sexy at all.
6.66 3 cone drill at 6'-3" 208. That huge for a guy his size so he can get the separation needed coming into the NFL as he improves his route running technique.

Two big whiffs by NFL personnel  guys last year letting AJ Brown and Metcalf fall.  Both struggled with routes but were highly productive.
They don't put a premium on talent AND work ethic. You can have all the talent in the world but if you are a lazy bum, you will wash out of the NFL. They should have taken into account Metcalf's pedigree and work ethic.

DENZEL MIMS

Excerpts:

- You beat me to the punch!
Oops. They were asking and i'm a Mims fan.

Actually some people I pay attention to listed AJ Brown as one of the top route runners in the draft, he just did not run a lot of different routes. That's why I used him as an example that some people define good route running differently. For some it may mean they run all or most of a route tree and for others it might mean the routes you are asked to run you do quite well, you just are not asked to run many routes.  I flubbed on Brown in dynasty drafts due to landing spot myself, I'd been living through the Corey Davis experience and all this time I thought it was the QB's fault.

14 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Wow that's not sexy at all.

6.66 3 cone drill at 6'-3" 208. That huge for a guy his size so he can get the separation needed coming into the NFL as he improves his route running technique

Agreed. I just think that language of "not prohibitively poor" is about the lousiest endorsement ever. And funny. But the guy sure seems like a beast. I agree with others that route running is one of the top traits to look for, but it's also very difficult to understand and get a handle on. So far I like what I've seen.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that a first-round selection of Baylor WR Denzel Mims is "not out of the question."

No player has had a stronger evaluation process than Mims, who entered January as an intriguing wideout viewed largely on the Day 2 fringe before turning in a stellar Senior Bowl week and an equally fantastic combine week. At the combine, he tested in the 94.6th percentile of NFL wide receivers by SPARQ metrics.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 6, 2020, 3:49 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread