What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Denzel Mims, NYJ (1 Viewer)

I have to say I’m very intrigued by Mims as a prospect, with the physical attributes and his ability to win contested catches. With his speed, route running and thus separation could vastly improve with NFL coaching. 

Right now, I have a rough top five of Lamb, Jeudy, Raegor, Ruggs and Mims 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Nicki Jhabvala reports the Broncos had a video call with Baylor WR Denzel Mims.

The No. 15 overall pick is likely too early for Mims (6'3/207) to hear his name called, but there's no denying the Broncos are looking to add another over-the-top threat across from Courtland Sutton on Day 1. Baylor's standout fits that bill as he leveraged his 4.38 40-time to record 29 percent of his career receiving yards (2,925) with the 'go' route in OC Glenn Thomas’ spread offense, becoming the only player in college football to score at least eight receiving touchdowns in each of the last three seasons. Mims remains -154 to be drafted in the first round.

RELATED: 

Courtland Sutton

, Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Apr 14, 2020, 10:36 PM ET

One scout told The Athletic's Bob McGinn he believes Baylor WR Denzel Mims is "better than CeeDeel Lamb and maybe better than Jerry Jeudy."

"He can really go up and make acrobatic plays on the ball.  He showed at the Senior Bowl he can beat press coverage and get open at the top of routes," the scout continued.  "He’s bigger, faster, longer.  You’ve got a chance to really hit on Mims."  Opinions were split on Mims among the 17 executives/scouts McGinn interviewed, as Mims was voted the second-most likely wideout to become a bust, behind only Colorado's Laviska Shenault.  “He’s an outside receiver.  He’s going to need a lot of work on how to run routes.  He has tight shoulders. Better high-ball catcher than low-ball catcher.  More of a 400-meter guy.  He’s got inconsistent hands. He’s going to need work on how to get off press.  He’s just got average body control," said a different scout.  "I got him in the second round.”  Mims flew up draft boards after a strong Senior Bowl and Combine.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 15, 2020, 12:05 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos are two teams which are "very high" on Baylor WR Denzel Mims.

"The Raiders are expected to take receivers early and often in the draft’s opening rounds," Pauline writes. "And while the consensus has Denver taking (Henry) Ruggs if he’s available, I’m told the team is just as high on Mims." The Eagles, Cowboys, Rams and Jets are among the teams which have checked in on Mims via FaceTime meetings and the like. While there is all kinds of buzz around Mims as a first-round selection, Pauline hears that if he gets past pick No. 26 (owned by the Dolphins) he could potentially end up sliding to early in the second round. Which would make for killer value.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 15, 2020, 1:54 PM ET

How the heck is this guy gonna fall to me now?
Hope that he gets a bad landing spot like AJB last year! This guy jumped out to me late last season when I saw him make a few tough contested catches over the middle and go up over guys at times. Reminded me of Boldin. I did not know he had those wheels he showed at the combine.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Baylor WR Denzel Mims played through a broken hand in 2019.

It didn't hold him back much because he finished with 1,020 yards and 12 touchdowns, but it does go to show you his toughness and lessens minor concerns about his drops. As it sits now, Mims is on the Round 1/2 borderline as a second tier receiver prospect with high upside. Expect teams like the Vikings, Saints, and Packers to have interest in the later part of the first round.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 15, 2020, 6:02 PM ET

ESPN.com's Matt Bowen tabbed Baylor WR Denzel Mims as the best red zone wide receiver in this year's draft class. 

The wide receiver position is incredibly deep in this draft class, and Mims is one of the standouts as he racked up seven red zone touchdown receptions in 2019. Add to that a 4.38 40-yard dash, and he has the tools needed to make an immediate impact at the next level. "I look at the physical traits with Mims as a prime red zone target in the NFL," Bowen wrote. "He can go up and high-point the ball with his 6-foot-3 frame, and he will make contested catches on tight-window throws." Mims is expected by many to be off the board by the latter stages of Day 1 of this week's draft. 

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Apr 21, 2020, 5:48 PM ET

NFL.com analyst Ian Rappaport reports Baylor WR Denzel Mims is a player the Bengals are considering with the 33rd overall pick.

Mims (6'3/207) was considered a possible first-round selection in the wake of his impressive February combine showing, but Rappaport indicates he might not have to wait long to be selected on Day 2. Mims offers elite 4.38 40-yard dash speed while also possessing the body control and leaping ability to serve as a force in the red zone. He has the tools to be a complete wide receiver at the NFL level and would serve as an enticing weapon for new Bengals QB Joe Burrow should the Bengals pull the trigger on Mims. 

SOURCE: Ian Rappaport on Twitter

Apr 24, 2020, 1:38 PM ET

Jets selected Baylor WR Denzel Mims with the No. 59 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

A three-year starter at Baylor, Mims (6’3/207) barely saw the field as a freshmen prior to becoming the only player in college football to score at least eight receiving touchdowns in each of the last three years. His collegiate production turned heads, but it was his comfortability with a full route tree at Senior Bowl practices and jaw-dropping 40 (4.38), position-best three-cone (6.66 seconds), and sky-high vertical (38.5 inches) at the NFL Combine that launched him up draft boards. Mims is at his best on vertical routes — 29 percent of his receiving yards came on the go route per PFF — but invites downfield jostling, finishing with the second-most contested catches (20) in FBS play last year. He may be disregarded as a 22-year-old non-declare who, as one anonymous scout put it, "doesn’t play special teams" at the next level, but Mims checks all the boxes of a late-round sleeper with the Jets. He should start alongside Breshad Perriman on the perimeter with Jamison Crowder in the slot.

Apr 24, 2020, 9:09 PM ET

Jets' draft grade hinges on development of speedy WR Denzel Mims

Excerpt:

If Mims doesn't develop quickly, it will have a negative effect on Darnold, who lost his No. 1 target (Robby Anderson) in free agency. Surprisingly, Douglas, who passed on every wide receiver to draft Becton, didn't take another wideout after Mims in the second round. That means it's Denzel-or-bust in what many experts called the most talented receiver draft in history.

Mims is a size-speed phenom who made a lot of money with his Senior Bowl and scouting-combine performances, but he fell to the bottom of the second round, the 13th wide receiver off the board. Douglas passed on him with the 48th pick, trading down 11 spots and grabbing him at 59. A genius move? Perhaps. Or maybe he got too cute, as he missed out on Chase Claypool and Van Jefferson -- two highly touted receivers. Time will tell.

At 6-foot-3, Mims blazed the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds at the scouting combine, and his three-cone time (6.66 seconds) was the best among wide receivers. The Jets love his catch radius and say he plays above the rim. So, how could a receiver with Julio Jones-like measurables fall to 59th? He dropped 20 passes over his final three seasons, including 11 in 2018 (an injured hand might have been a factor). He also played in an unsophisticated passing scheme at Baylor, where the staff tried to exploit his deep speed. In 2019, he ran the "go" route more than any other, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

As one opposing scout wondered, when was the last time a Baylor receiver hit it big in the NFL? The answer is never.

The ideal situation would be to bring Mims along slowly and let him learn from a veteran, but the Jets might not have that luxury. They're still thin at the position, with recently signed Breshad Perriman (an older version of Mims) their only starting-caliber outside receiver. They could really use Quincy Enunwa, a physical possession receiver, but his future is murky because of a neck injury.

Unless they add a veteran, the Jets will need Mims to play immediately -- and that's a big ask of a rookie, considering there won't be an offseason because of the coronavirus pandemic restrictions.

"We'll get him caught up as fast as we can when we're able to do the virtual stuff," Jets coach Adam Gase said. "By the time he steps on the field, hopefully he has a good grasp [of the offense]. I feel like we'll have figured out how far he goes mentally, and we'll take advantage of what he knows and allow him to do the things he does really well as much as possible."

If the Jets are right about Mims, they will have given Darnold a true WR1. The new teammates already have become texting buddies. If they're wrong about Mims, it'll be Stephen Hill all over again.

Wait, hold on. He didn't check...with us...

Josh Gordon, there big guy, had a 2013 as big as any. 
Big, fast, strong but maybe not the best route runner. Seems to check out. Also none of these bust WRs came under Matt Rhule and his system. He's an NFL coach now so perhaps him working with Mims is a a positive here. 

I think he's a lot more raw than was made out. Most of what he did at Baylor was back shoulders, slants, and jump balls. His combine testing didn't really show on the field and I'm very apprehensive about those types of players. He struggles to get low and explode out of his breaks. I love the combination of athleticism and ball skills but he has a lot to work on. He's got immediate opportunity but has to go under Gase so not sure

I think he's a lot more raw than was made out. Most of what he did at Baylor was back shoulders, slants, and jump balls. His combine testing didn't really show on the field and I'm very apprehensive about those types of players. He struggles to get low and explode out of his breaks. I love the combination of athleticism and ball skills but he has a lot to work on. He's got immediate opportunity but has to go under Gase so not sure
Interesting. Brett Kollmann (youtube scout, does very well produced videos breaking down players) thinks Mims is a really slick route runner and has lots of little tricks he uses to set-up and beat defenders. Also said he plays like Nuk Hopkins where he views every play as a boxing match. He is always taking the right to the CB. 

Mims Breakdown: Sleeper Superstar

Mims seems like a better version of Kenny Golladay who he’s similar in size. Faster 40 time, faster cone drill, higher vertical and longer wingspan makes me think he will be a better version of KG. If so, then the Jets found a winner I would think. I watched a bunch of his games at Baylor, and if Dallas hadn’t had Lamb fall to them, then I’d love to have seen him end up there in a 2nd round pick somehow. Jets have a player in Mims.

Interesting. Brett Kollmann (youtube scout, does very well produced videos breaking down players) thinks Mims is a really slick route runner and has lots of little tricks he uses to set-up and beat defenders. Also said he plays like Nuk Hopkins where he views every play as a boxing match. He is always taking the right to the CB. 

Mims Breakdown: Sleeper Superstar
I know Brett because he's a Texans fan and when he usually gets excited for a prospect, they fail lol

I hope he's not as raw as described here, but it didn't look like from what I saw that Baylor was running a pro-style offense. At all. Which should worry people. 

Mims's combine numbers are off the charts but his collegiate production was a bit questionable until his last year or two. He's falling in the same general area as Higgins, whose combine numbers were horrible but had production unparalleled in college. At least in terms of Breakout Age. Higgins was 18.1 years old when he broke out, Mims was like 19.9 or something, IIRC.

I had a draft and chose Mims. Guys running deep routes that run 4.60s scare me. I am, after all these years, still a combine sucker.

I hope he's not as raw as described here, but it didn't look like from what I saw that Baylor was running a pro-style offense. At all. Which should worry people. 

Mims's combine numbers are off the charts but his collegiate production was a bit questionable until his last year or two. He's falling in the same general area as Higgins, whose combine numbers were horrible but had production unparalleled in college. At least in terms of Breakout Age. Higgins was 18.1 years old when he broke out, Mims was like 19.9 or something, IIRC.

I had a draft and chose Mims. Guys running deep routes that run 4.60s scare me. I am, after all these years, still a combine sucker.
The only knock on Mims is the age, but he meets what you want for breakout age and a huge share of the passing game at Baylor. Sure some film watchers think he is raw but then again guys like Waldman love him and Kollmann thinks Mims is actually quite polished. I think he can be what we saw from D.J. Chark this year. 

The only knock on Mims is the age, but he meets what you want for breakout age and a huge share of the passing game at Baylor. Sure some film watchers think he is raw but then again guys like Waldman love him and Kollmann thinks Mims is actually quite polished. I think he can be what we saw from D.J. Chark this year. 
I'd take Chark's production from this year in a heartbeat. I also know Waldman loves Mims (I got the RSP this year. Ask away if you want.). He's got him second overall at wide receiver pre-draft, fourth after the draft.

I can tell you this as a Jets homer. They have nobody at wideout to block him from instantly being a starter in three-wide sets, which they'll likely run a lot like everybody else is doing. The only caveat is that the Jets are a ####### mess. I can't stress that enough. I think players hate Gase and management. Even though they went a not-awful 7-9 last year, they had an easy schedule. They're poorly constructed on offense. We won games with our defense and Gregg Williams last year, not the offense. So he's not going to a great locker room even though Waldman points out that Shawn Jefferson is his wide receivers coach on the Jets and is an excellent one, so there's that hope. Mims is part of rebuild, nothing more.

But enough the naysaying. On with the hope! 

I'd take Chark's production from this year in a heartbeat. I also know Waldman loves Mims (I got the RSP this year. Ask away if you want.). He's got him second overall at wide receiver pre-draft, fourth after the draft.

I can tell you this as a Jets homer. They have nobody at wideout to block him from instantly being a starter in three-wide sets, which they'll likely run a lot like everybody else is doing. The only caveat is that the Jets are a ####### mess. I can't stress that enough. I think players hate Gase and management. Even though they went a not-awful 7-9 last year, they had an easy schedule. They're poorly constructed on offense. We won games with our defense and Gregg Williams last year, not the offense. So he's not going to a great locker room even though Waldman points out that Shawn Jefferson is his wide receivers coach on the Jets and is an excellent one, so there's that hope. Mims is part of rebuild, nothing more.

And as much as I think Gase is a bad coach, I mostly like the situation. There's a huge need as you said and I believe the GM has a long term deal so there is some stability with management. Finally, Sam Darnold seems like the perfect QB. You have seen him more so correct me if I am wrong, but he strikes me as the type of QB who will take chances, put the ball up for his WRs to make a play. He strikes me as more a Stafford style gunslinger than a see it throw it QB like a Jimmy G. 

And as much as I think Gase is a bad coach, I mostly like the situation. There's a huge need as you said and I believe the GM has a long term deal so there is some stability with management. Finally, Sam Darnold seems like the perfect QB. You have seen him more so correct me if I am wrong, but he strikes me as the type of QB who will take chances, put the ball up for his WRs to make a play. He strikes me as more a Stafford style gunslinger than a see it throw it QB like a Jimmy G. 
Yeah, that sounds mostly right. There certainly seems to be stability in the front office finally. And competence, though we won't know that until rubber meets road.

Sam isn't the perfect QB, though. His average yards per attempt is low, he holds the ball longer than your average QB, etc. You're probably thinking that he throws the ball up because he's not afraid to throw into traffic and get picked. I'd argue it's because his line collapsed around him all the time last year. He needs to channel that gunslinger mentality into reads where he sees a 50-50 chance when it is really 50-50 and let the receiver win the ball. Most of his gunslinging has just been getting rid of a hot potato thus far, if that makes sense.

Sam's only 22, believe it or not. His rookie deal might be up and they'll have no idea what they have in Darnold because of the mono last year and his age. Nobody knows was Darnold is like with adequate protection. We're about to find out. 

But a lot to like about Mims and his potential. We'll see. Hopefully he's not another one in the long line of second-round busts at WR the Jets have had recently.

Yeah, that sounds mostly right. There certainly seems to be stability in the front office finally. And competence, though we won't know that until rubber meets road.

Sam isn't the perfect QB, though. His average yards per attempt is low, he holds the ball longer than your average QB, etc. You're probably thinking that he throws the ball up because he's not afraid to throw into traffic and get picked. I'd argue it's because his line collapsed around him all the time last year. He needs to channel that gunslinger mentality into reads where he sees a 50-50 chance when it is really 50-50 and let the receiver win the ball. Most of his gunslinging has just been getting rid of a hot potato thus far, if that makes sense.

Sam's only 22, believe it or not. His rookie deal might be up and they'll have no idea what they have in Darnold because of the mono last year and his age. Nobody knows was Darnold is like with adequate protection. We're about to find out. 

But a lot to like about Mims and his potential. We'll see. Hopefully he's not another one in the long line of second-round busts at WR the Jets have had recently.
When your top threats are Jamison crowder and Quincy enunwa this is bound to happen. Addressed the oline first, then added a pass catcher, that’s important. He could potentially lead the team in targets simply by attrition if perriman and crowder get banged up like the last couple years. I see a floor similar to mike Williams, but that offense still has work to do imo so the upside is capped. If they can be consistent and get him red zone looks he could easily be the go to receiver inside the 30 and maybe get 8-10 tds in an efficient version of the jets offense. The downside is that there isn’t a lot of weapons to account for in that offense so defenses will key on him if he’s producing, the jets haven’t been efficient in a while, and the verdict is still being decided on darnold. All in all, the opportunity is there, and that’s the first step to fantasy relevance. 

When your top threats are Jamison crowder and Quincy enunwa this is bound to happen. Addressed the oline first, then added a pass catcher, that’s important. He could potentially lead the team in targets simply by attrition if perriman and crowder get banged up like the last couple years. I see a floor similar to mike Williams, but that offense still has work to do imo so the upside is capped. If they can be consistent and get him red zone looks he could easily be the go to receiver inside the 30 and maybe get 8-10 tds in an efficient version of the jets offense. The downside is that there isn’t a lot of weapons to account for in that offense so defenses will key on him if he’s producing, the jets haven’t been efficient in a while, and the verdict is still being decided on darnold. All in all, the opportunity is there, and that’s the first step to fantasy relevance. 
Right as rain. :goodposting: Be interesting to see Sam this year and how he does, but your points are all taken and have been accounted for in our heads, really, if you read the Jets thread. We're waiting to see what he can do with some weapons and an O-Line. Would have liked to see another receiver on their board rather than drafting a backup QB project from FIU, that's for sure. But we wait and see, we wait and see. 

Right as rain. :goodposting: Be interesting to see Sam this year and how he does, but your points are all taken and have been accounted for in our heads, really, if you read the Jets thread. We're waiting to see what he can do with some weapons and an O-Line. Would have liked to see another receiver on their board rather than drafting a backup QB project from FIU, that's for sure. But we wait and see, we wait and see. 
Yeah I was thinking the same thing as I was posting that, but considering the backup situation the last couple years I think it was a good move, good player.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing as I was posting that, but considering the backup situation the last couple years I think it was a good move, good player.
I agree with your main point, but diverge a little. It's true that the backup situation was not worthy of professional sports, really. Not at that level. But I think signing a veteran backup to a reasonable contract made more sense both in the short and long term. This was supposedly (and I'm not a scout, so really don't know) a receiver class for the ages. Take advantage of that. 

I do think people are underselling Perriman
Agreed. I don't know why he didn't stick in Baltimore, but I was impressed how quickly he acclimated in that late 2018 cameo in Cleveland. Maybe him getting whacked was the light bulb moment he needed to realize if he doesn't do something now he's gonna be flushed out of the league. He took that success, carried it over last season, and now has a clear path to a 1a role.

Agreed. I don't know why he didn't stick in Baltimore, but I was impressed how quickly he acclimated in that late 2018 cameo in Cleveland. Maybe him getting whacked was the light bulb moment he needed to realize if he doesn't do something now he's gonna be flushed out of the league. He took that success, carried it over last season, and now has a clear path to a 1a role.
Aside from his Thursday night ineptitude in the rain against Carolina last year, Perriman flashed nicely for the Bucs. As a Jets fan, I hope it continues. And what's with this wretched franchise talk, Hue? 

Aside from his Thursday night ineptitude in the rain against Carolina last year, Perriman flashed nicely for the Bucs. As a Jets fan, I hope it continues. And what's with this wretched franchise talk, Hue? 
He was a major fantasy stud for me in the playoffs. I was crazy enough to start him week 15 against the Lions where he went off for 113/3. He made me forget Mike Evans even got hurt. I think him and Mims are actually a pretty scary outside duo. They are major size/speed combo freaks.

I think injuries killed him. He just couldn't get healthy which obviously impacted his play and development. It likely rattled his confidence and put him in a bad spot with the coaches in Baltimore. 

He was a major fantasy stud for me in the playoffs. I was crazy enough to start him week 15 against the Lions where he went off for 113/3. He made me forget Mike Evans even got hurt. I think him and Mims are actually a pretty scary outside duo. They are major size/speed combo freaks.

I think injuries killed him. He just couldn't get healthy which obviously impacted his play and development. It likely rattled his confidence and put him in a bad spot with the coaches in Baltimore. 
Yep, you were on a couple last year late. Perriman had huge games. But Arians and Leftwich's offense was really running full steam then. Let's see how he does with Gase. 

I'm starting to understand why he's still such a popular pick despite going to a retched franchise and being the 13th WR off the board.
13th WR off the board doesn't mean much considering the WR depth this class. 

What don't you like about Mims besides him landing with the NYJ? 

What are Mat's post draft WR rankings? You said I could ask you

What are Mat's post draft WR rankings? You said I could ask you
I told ilov80s that. We share passwords. No, Mims was 4th among WRs. I can give you that. Other than that, you'll have to buy the manual. Shell out the $21.95. It's worth it.

13th WR off the board doesn't mean much considering the WR depth this class. 

What don't you like about Mims besides him landing with the NYJ? 
I'm skeptical he won in college primarily due to his physical superiority vs the competition and that it won't translate to the pros. I was more receptive to him last month than I would have guessed before last season - really developed as a play maker down field, has a plan but adjusts based on ball location/leverage on opponent - everything about his H/W/S game is smooth, relaxed, and natural. And you don't like him? Well, I wouldn't say I dislike him. I'd say I dislike his risks. I think a dysfunctional organization like the Jets is the sort of environment to make them more likely to come to fruition. And stronger ones passing on him left me thinking those risks were greater than the alternatives. 

The line between a fluid athlete and playing small is a thin one. NFL teams gets this wrong just like we do, but I look at a team like the Steelers - a team with success identifying and developing wide receivers. Void of a first round pick this year and their primary skill positions on offense expiring at season's end. Their pick comes up and most expect it to be offense and they choose...Chase Claypool over Mims? Really? Now, maybe it's as simple as they see him as a good compliment in the slot to Diontae Johnson and James Washington beginning next year. But you have the opportunity to pick a down field play maker and you instead pick a role player? Then my immediate thought - maybe they think Mims is on the wrong side of that fluid athlete/playing small line.

So I'll happily be wrong with him on someone else's team. He just doesn't pass my risk assessment relative to the rest of this class.

Chase Claypool over Mims? Really?
I wondered about that. I still think the Steelers are either holding out hope or have discussed Claypool moving to TE. That doesn't make any sense, though, to do that without announcing it, so who knows? But I quibble with your analysis. Claypool wasn't and wouldn't be really a role player, he's a downfield play maker. And Washington and Johnson are lining up outside, pushing Juju to the inside. Rotoworld of all places had the blurb of the OC that they were sticking to Claypool playing outside. At least that's what they say now. It makes lilttle sense to have 6'4" coming out the slot, even though I know there are big slots. 

So I'm not sure that the Steelers passing on Mims means; whether it was because a lot of people were confused/titillated by the depth of the class, or whether they know something we don't, as is their usual. But a lot of people watched Claypool's tape and didn't care for it. Said he played slow.

It just means that everyone is fallible, IMHO. 

I wondered about that. I still think the Steelers are either holding out hope or have discussed Claypool moving to TE. That doesn't make any sense, though, to do that without announcing it, so who knows? But I quibble with your analysis. Claypool wasn't and wouldn't be really a role player, he's a downfield play maker. And Washington and Johnson are lining up outside, pushing Juju to the inside. Rotoworld of all places had the blurb of the OC that they were sticking to Claypool playing outside. At least that's what they say now. It makes lilttle sense to have 6'4" coming out the slot, even though I know there are big slots. 

So I'm not sure that the Steelers passing on Mims means; whether it was because a lot of people were confused/titillated by the depth of the class, or whether they know something we don't, as is their usual. But a lot of people watched Claypool's tape and didn't care for it. Said he played slow.

It just means that everyone is fallible, IMHO. 
I don't know what it means either - I'm dot connecting. And to be clear, the hypothetical I described is if Juju leaves next year - then Claypool slides inside. I saw this as a pre-emptive add to Juju walking. And to pick a caliber talent like him (I'm not a fan) over Mims?  :mellow:

Also, I'm just isolating the Steelers because they have historical success at this particular position and picked one over him. They weren't the only team to bypass Mims. Every team did, some multiple times. Given his skill set, for me, it's an eyebrow raiser. Because I had those questions about him as a prospect. What happened in April tickled that confirmation bias. I wouldn't expect someone who was high on him before then to have a similar takeaway though.

Users who are viewing this thread