What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Letter from Senator Lamar Alexander (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Purely For What It's Worth.

My friend wrote to our state Senator Lamar Alexander and expressed concerns over how the Senate was handling the trial.

Senator Alexander replied:

Dear Michael,

Thanks for getting in touch with me and sharing your thoughts regarding the impeachment of President Donald Trump.

Our founders put high bars and procedural steps in place to make the impeachment of federal officials – including the president – difficult in order to ensure our country doesn’t swing back and forth over every minor disagreement. In nearly 250 years, the House has impeached 19 federal officials; of those only 8 – all federal judges – have been convicted by the Senate. Only two presidents have ever been impeached by the House of Representatives, Andrew Johnson of Tennessee and Bill Clinton of Arkansas, and neither were convicted in the Senate.

On December 18, 2019, the House of Representatives voted to impeach President Trump and delivered two articles of impeachment to the Senate on January 15, 2020. On January 16, 2020, I swore an oath to “do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws” before John Roberts, the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court and presiding officer for the impeachment trial.

Just because the House of Representatives was a circus doesn't mean the Senate needs to be. The Senate has a constitutional duty to hear the case, not dismiss it out of hand. We're approaching the impeachment trial according to our constitutional responsibilities. That means we're going to hear the case, not dismiss it, number one. Number two, we're going to ask our questions and get answers through the Chief Justice. And then number three, we've been guaranteed a right to vote on whether we think we need additional evidence such as witnesses or documents. This fundamentally follows the Clinton impeachment model, which was then adopted 100 to zero.  This process should assure the American people that we're giving the articles from the House of Representatives a full and fair hearing.

I am grateful every day for the honor and privilege of serving the people of Tennessee, and I will carefully listen to the arguments, consider the evidence and deliberate with my colleagues before making my decision regarding the articles of impeachment. 

Sincerely,

Lamar

From your neighboring state...

Dear Mr. BassNBrew:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the impeachment of President Trump. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, on December 18, 2019, the House took a partisan vote to impeach President Trump. Article I, Abuse of Power, was passed with a vote of 230-197, and Article II, Obstruction of Congress, passed with a 229-198 vote. In an unprecedented act, Speaker Pelosi withheld the Articles for 28 days until January 15, 2020, when the House voted to appoint Impeachment Managers and to transmit the Articles to the Senate.

On January 16, 2020, the Senate Impeachment Trial formally began with the swearing-in of Chief Justice John Roberts and the swearing-in of Senators. During the impeachment trial, the House Managers and the White House Counsel will present their respective cases by offering opening arguments and presenting evidence. Following these presentations, Senators will have the opportunity to question the House Managers and the White House Counsel. At that time, the Senate could consider whether to call additional witnesses or to request additional evidence.

I have been clear that, based on the unpersuasive evidence collected by the House, and the weakness of their case for impeachment, I do not see the need for additional witnesses. The Constitution provides that the House “shall have the sole Power of Impeachment,” and that the Senate “shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments.” It is the responsibility of the House of Representatives during an impeachment inquiry to collect evidence and to make the case for impeachment. It is not the responsibility of the Senate to do the work that the House failed to do, particularly when they failed to issue subpoenas for testimony. This is especially true where the Speaker and the majority have been insistent about the strength of their case justifying the impeachment and removal of a duly-elected President.

As a U.S. Senator, I have a constitutional responsibility to participate fully in the Senate impeachment trial. I will listen to both sides, carefully consider the evidence, and join my colleagues in rendering a verdict. I will also make sure that President Trump is treated fairly and receives a presumption of innocence rather than a presumption of guilt. The President deserves this basic guarantee of due process during the most consequential of constitutional events.

Unfortunately, the majority in the House ran a blatantly partisan impeachment process, which presumed the President was guilty while denying the President and the minority basic due process rights. Despite the lack of evidence presented, the House still voted to impeach President Trump along purely partisan lines. Compared to previous inquiries, the investigation into President Trump happened seven times faster than the investigation of President Nixon, and twenty times faster than the investigation of President Clinton.

Instead of focusing on real issues like securing our border, modernizing our infrastructure, or supporting our military, certain outspoken House members and Speaker Pelosi are using all of their time and resources to once again try to cast doubt on the results of the 2016 election. It is unfortunate that their partisan games have now prevented the Senate from conducting the work of the American people.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to reach out again about other important issues.

Sincerely,

Thom Tillis
U.S. Senator

Last edited by a moderator:
" And then number three, we've been guaranteed a right to vote on whether we think we need additional evidence such as witnesses or documents."

And therein lies the rub. How you gonna vote on that, Lamar?

Just because the House of Representatives was a circus doesn't mean the Senate needs to be. The Senate has a constitutional duty to hear the case, not dismiss it out of hand. We're approaching the impeachment trial according to our constitutional responsibilities. That means we're going to hear the case, not dismiss it, number one. Number two, we're going to ask our questions and get answers through the Chief Justice. And then number three, we've been guaranteed a right to vote on whether we think we need additional evidence such as witnesses or documents. This fundamentally follows the Clinton impeachment model, which was then adopted 100 to zero.  This process should assure the American people that we're giving the articles from the House of Representatives a full and fair hearing.

Can you guys elaborate on the bolded? I wasn't aware of this. 

Basically they are following the same process - number of days for each side to present their case, etc.  The key difference here is all the relevant testimony in the Clinton trial was obtained and the Clinton team (I think) provided all the requested documentation.  Trump has not and has had his folks ignore subpoenas (the obstruction charge stems in part from this).  But, yes the structure and rules are essentially the same.

He means that the 1999 Senate approved their Clinton impeachment rules by a vote of 100-0. He's suggesting that the current Senate will use those same rules.

At least you guys are getting a response.  I've sent three letters to Pat Toomey and haven't received anything back.

" And then number three, we've been guaranteed a right to vote on whether we think we need additional evidence such as witnesses or documents."

And therein lies the rub. How you gonna vote on that, Lamar?
Why don’t we let him hear the evidence and see?

It’s a Senate process, yet the House comes storming in demanding their way. 

They didn’t win.  Now the trial begins.  

Schiff comes in saying “If I make my case, the only option is to remove the President.”  

Absolutely.  He’s 100% right.  But his view of “making my case” and the senate’s view are not one in the same.

Every good attorney leaves thinking they’ve “made their case.”

At least you guys are getting a response.  I've sent three letters to Pat Toomey and haven't received anything back.
I’m in Kentucky.  I didn’t e-mail them on this for the obvious reasons.

I have e-mailed Senators and my Congressman in the past.  I’ve been told “I appreciate your concerns as a citizen or supporter, but I still support this bill.”

The people that think this whole thing is a sham don’t care if they get to vote or not,  A handful will.

Ken Starr spent years investigating Clinton and produced a lengthy report with evidence and witness statements and etc.

There was no special counsel in this case.  So there is no lengthy report and witness statements and etc.

So Alexander is trying to bamboozle you by suggesting that, since the two processes are similar, that it's a fair trial.  But circumstances are very different this time and by applying those rules (sort of, but not really) they're ensuring that the Senate does not hear from relevant witnesses and may not even see the actual evidence.

Why don’t we let him hear the evidence and see?

It’s a Senate process, yet the House comes storming in demanding their way. 

They didn’t win.  Now the trial begins.  

Schiff comes in saying “If I make my case, the only option is to remove the President.”  

Absolutely.  He’s 100% right.  But his view of “making my case” and the senate’s view are not one in the same.

Every good attorney leaves thinking they’ve “made their case.”
That's exactly what we're arguing for.

Evidence. Witnesses.

You know, the stuff they have at trials so a judge or jury can make a determination on guilty or not guilty.

Do you not want to hear from witnesses?

That's exactly what we're arguing for.

Evidence. Witnesses.

You know, the stuff they have at trials so a judge or jury can make a determination on guilty or not guilty.

Do you not want to hear from witnesses?
No one has said no to witnesses.  They voted to hear the arguments first and then decide.

You know, the same treatment the Democratic President being impeached 20 years ago received.

"What kind of name is that?"

"Well you see, Senator, there's this fantasy football forum where people post under pseudonyms ..."

"I'm already sorry I asked. Just go ahead and add that name to the top of the form letter."
Probably true.

Nice form letters. LOL. Why would people waste their time writing these people? Ya know, you are only on this planet for a short amount of time and you cant get that wasted time back.

Just talked about this at the state level and believe me, the higher you get up in govt, the worse these characters are. Anyway, someone i know was waiting on a state rep to help with a problem. He said he didn't have time right then because he was looking for a new house for himself. Come back later. :lmao:   True story.

He is. But at the end of the day, he's going to vote the exact same way as Tillis, McConnell, Cruz, and every other GOP Senator.
Don’t be so sure. He’s retiring after this term and not running for anything. Not saying Alexander will surprise here (I don’t know much about him) but if there is a surprise he’s a prime candidate. 

Nice form letters. LOL. Why would people waste their time writing these people? Ya know, you are only on this planet for a short amount of time and you cant get that wasted time back.

Just talked about this at the state level and believe me, the higher you get up in govt, the worse these characters are. Anyway, someone i know was waiting on a state rep to help with a problem. He said he didn't have time right then because he was looking for a new house for himself. Come back later. :lmao:   True story.
If they received a million letters, they might stand up and take notice.

So we agree that Trump is the worst

Oh I think writing a politician is super valuable. Not to take away from here, but everyone spending 5 minutes on this topic here should take 2 minutes and send their senator an email. 

Sure, they don't jump to do whatever you say. But they're human. They judge email as a way to "hear" their constituents.

I have no idea if this happens or not but I'd expect there to be lots of hacking going on there with fake emails being sent to Senators. 

Why would people waste their time writing these people? Ya know, you are only on this planet for a short amount of time and you cant get that wasted time back.
First off, not to be snarky, but it takes about the same amount of time to write a letter to your congressperson as it takes to write a post on the internet complaining about people wasting their time writing to their congresspersons.

Second, believe it or not, your Representatives and Senators actually keep track of public opinion. If Lamar Alexander received an overwhelming majority of letters supporting impeachment, it would significantly increase the odds of him voting to convict. (Of course, I don't have realistic expectations of the majority of people from Tennessee pushing Alexander to vote for impeachment, but I could see voter opinion affecting congresspeople from swing states.)

No one has said no to witnesses.  They voted to hear the arguments first and then decide.

You know, the same treatment the Democratic President being impeached 20 years ago received.
Before the Clinton trial there was a years long investigation and thousands of pages of evidence and testimony  from Ken Starr. So right from go, this is not the same situation at all because the Trump admin has not produced a single document. The idea in the Clinton trial was let's listen to all the stuff that Ken Starr has (from his inarguably exhaustive investigation) and then decide if we want to hear from more people directly. In the Trump case, the House doesn't have all of the evidence they wanted/needed because the executive branch won't let them have it. The Senate and Roberts should be able to bridge that gap.

Take that how you will, but simply taking the Clinton rules and applying them here isn't really appropriate.

That being said, I am gathering that the real issue with the rules is that, as they are laid out, the managers are to present their case, go through a round of questions from the Senators, and then after that the Senate can vote on adding witnesses and evidence. But at that point the trial is pretty much over and there is no provision for another round of presentation by the managers or Senator questions in the rules. So it is completely backwards and makes no sense. Additionally, i have heard that the rules only allow for one vote on evidence and witnesses.  What if Bolton testifies and there is something previously unknown that comes out? They can't issue a subpoena and can't present it as an argument. 

At least that's how I understand things. 

Because like it or not...that is how the system is supposed to work.  You contact your representatives, let them know you are a constituent and voice your opinions.  Whether they listen or not may be another thing...some may, some may not.  Probably depends on the person.

Wasted time?  How long do you think it takes to write an email to a representative?

The evidence must be so damning in this impeachment. It’s the only explanation for this level of obstruction. 

Basically they are following the same process - number of days for each side to present their case, etc.  The key difference here is all the relevant testimony in the Clinton trial was obtained and the Clinton team (I think) provided all the requested documentation.  Trump has not and has had his folks ignore subpoenas (the obstruction charge stems in part from this).  But, yes the structure and rules are essentially the same.

To me the big thing here is that while some elements of structure may be similar, the motives and intent are vastly different. Back during the Clinton impeachment the R and D Senate leadership worked very closely together to find a way to get through this so as to respect the process and the need for comity. This time McConnell has come out against impartiality and doesn't really seem to care about allowing the Senators (or the citizenry) to see the facts/witnesses/testimony they are genuinely interested in. He just wants to "win" and it's sad that that is what it comes down to today.

And that isn't even touching on the way the Executive branch has given the whole process the middle finger all along the way.

Oh I'd be shocked it it wasn't a form letter. 
Yeah.  Ive gotten some from him that seem more personal.

Jim Cooper has been good about responding well as our Rep here.  Had good dealings with him when ive met him or heard hom speak as well.

@Joe Bryant

There were also witnesses in the Senate. What he’s saying is “just like in the Clinton impeachment we will vote on whether we need more witnesses or the same witnesses to testify to us.”

unspoken there is the statement “but unlike the Clinton trial we will vote not to have them.”

Additionally, managers were given four days to make their case (not three as they are here). But the same number of total hours.  

Basically “the setup is the same, we will just be voting not to do all the things we did then.”

First off, not to be snarky, but it takes about the same amount of time to write a letter to your congressperson as it takes to write a post on the internet complaining about people wasting their time writing to their congresspersons.

Second, believe it or not, your Representatives and Senators actually keep track of public opinion. If Lamar Alexander received an overwhelming majority of letters supporting impeachment, it would significantly increase the odds of him voting to convict. (Of course, I don't have realistic expectations of the majority of people from Tennessee pushing Alexander to vote for impeachment, but I could see voter opinion affecting congresspeople from swing states.)
Yeah, they have pretty sophisticated tracking systems.  They are form letters that send in response, but they put in their system pro or con, and will send different letters depending on the writer's view, and they keep track of how many pro/con letters they receive and send in response.

There are some fake stuff that gets sent to them, but it's usually pretty obvious.

Signed,

Someone who spent their Fridays their freshmen year in college stuffing envelopes for free while interning in the DC office of a Congressman.

Yeah, they have pretty sophisticated tracking systems.  They are form letters that send in response, but they put in their system pro or con, and will send different letters depending on the writer's view, and they keep track of how many pro/con letters they receive and send in response.

There are some fake stuff that gets sent to them, but it's usually pretty obvious.

Signed,

Someone who spent their Fridays their freshmen year in college stuffing envelopes for free while interning in the DC office of a Congressman.
I interned in a famous Senator's office after my freshman year of college. It was a pretty terrible experience -- they weren't paying us, so they just hired a ton of people and had nothing for us to do -- but I did learn a bit about how they processed constituent mail (though this was nearly three decades ago, so I'm sure lots has changed since then).

We would quickly skim the letter and then code it based on the issue. I don't think we noted whether it was pro or con; if it was about, say, abortion, it would get a code that would result in that person receiving a letter stating, "The Senator strongly supports a woman's right to choose," etc. etc. There were certain issues that resulted in so much mail we would ignore anything that wasn't from his state.

Obviously, none of these letters got within a mile of the Senator himself actually interacting with them, not even to sign. Most would just print out a scanned signature. For higher-profile people (like if a mayor wrote him a letter), they would use the autopen, which records his hand movements and produces a signature indistinguishable from one he did by hand. There were also a few people in the office authorized to sign for him. It was kind of funny when, at the end of the summer, they had each of us take a picture with him and then sent us the signed photos. I found myself wondering, "Was this signature done by the autopen or one of his aides?"

zftcg said:
I interned in a famous Senator's office after my freshman year of college. It was a pretty terrible experience -- they weren't paying us, so they just hired a ton of people and had nothing for us to do -- but I did learn a bit about how they processed constituent mail (though this was nearly three decades ago, so I'm sure lots has changed since then).

We would quickly skim the letter and then code it based on the issue. I don't think we noted whether it was pro or con; if it was about, say, abortion, it would get a code that would result in that person receiving a letter stating, "The Senator strongly supports a woman's right to choose," etc. etc. There were certain issues that resulted in so much mail we would ignore anything that wasn't from his state.

Obviously, none of these letters got within a mile of the Senator himself actually interacting with them, not even to sign. Most would just print out a scanned signature. For higher-profile people (like if a mayor wrote him a letter), they would use the autopen, which records his hand movements and produces a signature indistinguishable from one he did by hand. There were also a few people in the office authorized to sign for him. It was kind of funny when, at the end of the summer, they had each of us take a picture with him and then sent us the signed photos. I found myself wondering, "Was this signature done by the autopen or one of his aides?"
I remember signing on behalf of Congressman (office did not have autopen).  I'm a lefty which posed a bit of a challenge (or at least that's what I tell myself that my penmanship problem relates to), as he had a big ol' cursive "Bob", which I found surprisingly tough to pull off consistently, and would sometimes leave smudge marks because of the marker. The Congressman's actual signature was by the return address of the envelope. I'm sure some constituents compared the signature at the bottom of the letter with the signature on the envelope, and got a good laugh out of it -- but the office got what they paid for, I guess.

The question is if the Clinton rules/procedures are being used in the Trump trial. Senator Alexander asserts that they are, but there is a fundamental flaw in that comparison: In the Clinton impeachment, 90000 pages of documentary evidence were handed over by the Clinton administration before the trial began. Those documents provided a substantial amount of evidence and therefore made it possible (not definite) that no additional witnesses would be necessary. In Trump.s case -0- documents have been provided despite requests and subpoenas from the House managers. So Senator Alexander is making a false comparison.

Grant Bergman

Users who are viewing this thread