What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Option A or Option B for Vacation (1 Viewer)

Which one

• Option A

Votes: 60 50.8%
  • Option B

Votes: 58 49.2%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
My wife is really unhelpful and I'm struggling to make a final decision. Info; tropical destination, flight is about 5 hours (both options are direct), flying with a wife, 7 year old boy, 4 year old boy

Option A:

Fly into destination in the morning, go straight to room we are staying, unpack and ready for beach/pool around 3pm, $750 more expensive.

Option B: 

Fly into destination overnight, arrive local time at 1am (as opposed to 12 hours later the same day in Option A), stay in different room than one booked (just for 10 hours, then switching over to room in Option A) ... $750 cheaper. Unfortunately the room we are taking is not available for this first night (it is available for check in at 3pm later in the day in Option A).

The flights really make a huge difference in cost here... Feels like a no brainer to me, but my wife makes me second guess myself.

option B times 1,000
This is where I am. It's cheaper, plus we get that first whole day. We'll sleep on the plane, check in (leave our bags packed), shower, bathroom, nap... Switch rooms, have the whole day. My wife makes me feel like this is going to be a huge inconvenience, not sure what I'm missing here, I'd rather get the entire day, especially if it is almost a rack cheaper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If $750 is a big deal to your lifestyle or will let you do something you wouldn't otherwise do then choice B might be the choice.  However, traveling with kids under 10 and have to always be moving around and flying late at night it is just asking for problems that will make the start of your vacation crappy. 

For me it's worth the $750 not to have to deal with that crap.  Plus I hate flying the red eye. 

So you get extra night and it's cheaper? I'd go option B.  

$150 to $200 is probably the point that the inconvenient flight time isn't worth it to me. 

If $750 is a big deal to your lifestyle or will let you do something you wouldn't otherwise do then choice B might be the choice.  However, traveling with kids under 10 and have to always be moving around and flying late at night it is just asking for problems that will make the start of your vacation crappy. 

For me it's worth the $750 not to have to deal with that crap.  Plus I hate flying the red eye. 
I like sleeping on a plane, also like my children sleeping on a plane. Night flights are easier with the kids, imo. 

Morning flight and my kids will be wired and overexcited...

This is where I am. It's cheaper, plus we get the whole day. We'll sleep on the plane, check in (leave our bags packed), shower, bathroom, nap... Switch rooms, have the whole day. My wife makes me feel like this is going to be a huge inconvenience, not sure what I'm missing here, I'd rather get the entire day, especially if it almost a rack cheaper. 
We did this for a baseball tournament one year in Florida.  The hotel moved our belongings from one room to the other so that we wouldn't be inconvenienced.  That relieved some stress on my wife/family.  I would opt for Option B every time.  The kids will sleep on the plane and be fine with just travelling anyways.

This is where I am. It's cheaper, plus we get that first whole day. We'll sleep on the plane, check in (leave our bags packed), shower, bathroom, nap... Switch rooms, have the whole day. My wife makes me feel like this is going to be a huge inconvenience, not sure what I'm missing here, I'd rather get the entire day, especially if it is almost a rack cheaper. 
Does this actually work for you? We've never been able to really get good sleep on a plane.

I'd still do B.

Who is going to deal more with the whiny, crabby kids that couldn't sleep on the plane and didn't get enough sleep and now have to change rooms etc?  It is most likely your wife since she doesn't want to have to deal with it.

If I was not traveling with kids it would be an easy option B.

Also, 1/2 Xanax bar for the 4yo and a full bar for the 7yo should take care of any sleeping challenges on the redeye. 

Does this actually work for you? We've never been able to really get good sleep on a plane.

I'd still do B.
I mean, I'm not like a bear hibernating on a plane, but I can def get 3-4 hours of decent shuteye.

Who is going to deal more with the whiny, crabby kids that couldn't sleep on the plane and didn't get enough sleep and now have to change rooms etc?  It is most likely your wife since she doesn't want to have to deal with it.

If I was not traveling with kids it would be an easy option B.
I'm almost the complete opposite as you, lol... I almost think A with no kids, B with kids. 

I like sleeping on a plane, also like my children sleeping on a plane. Night flights are easier with the kids, imo. 

Morning flight and my kids will be wired and overexcited...
I can't sleep on a plane.  I am not sure if my kids would sleep on the plane at that time but since they were usually night owls coupled with the excitement of flying they probably wouldn't sleep much either.   So looks like we have differing travel habits that swing this decision....

I mean, I'm not like a bear hibernating on a plane, but I can def get 3-4 hours of decent shuteye.

I'm almost the complete opposite as you, lol... I almost think A with no kids, B with kids. 
It's the kids I'd be more concerned about, but some melatonin gummies could help on the plane. 

I can't sleep on a plane.  I am not sure if my kids would sleep on the plane at that time but since they were usually night owls coupled with the excitement of flying they probably wouldn't sleep much either.   So looks like we have differing travel habits that swing this decision....
Too true.

A few of our good friends always drive to vacation at night. Kids sleep in the van, dad drives all night and gets a nap when they arrive.  I can't do that (nap).

Not for me. Dealing with re-packing and then an 11AM checkout from the first hotel. Catching a cab/rental car and heading to the next hotel. Hoping for an early check-in or waiting until 3pm check-in? Forget that noise. 
What repacking? It's the same hotel. Just bringing bags from one room to the other and no intention of emptying anything out. 

What repacking? It's the same hotel. Just bringing bags from one room to the other and no intention of emptying anything out. 
I'm assuming the property has a porter.

My guess is they would show up with a cart, load everything into a cart, wheel it to the other room, and unload it in your new room while you were poolside. 

Your effort would be checking in at 2 am (make sure that's an option). Crashing. Schedule a nice room service breakfast or something to help the wife realize your way was smarter. Then change into suits and head to the pool. Stop by the front desk on your way back up to get the key to your new room when you're done swimming. 

I'm assuming the property has a porter.

My guess is they would show up with a cart, load everything into a cart, wheel it to the other room, and unload it in your new room while you were poolside. 

Your effort would be checking in at 2 am (make sure that's an option). Crashing. Schedule a nice room service breakfast or something to help the wife realize your way was smarter. Then change into suits and head to the pool. Stop by the front desk on your way back up to get the key to your new room when you're done swimming. 
:goodposting:  roll part of the saved $750 into room service and perhaps a massage for the wife. Profit!

I would normally go for the stress free option of Option A, but all of the mentioned factors lead me to want Option B.  

Things that would cause me stress with Option B however would be potential flight delays, especially with late flights like that.  If the flight gets delayed long enough, the pilots may exceed the legal number of hours they can fly without rest.  Also, a delayed flight means getting to bed that much later.  

Also, having to move rooms could be a headache depending how nice the hotel is and how they handle it.  

Overall if it wasn't for the money savings and extra night, I'd pick option A no question.  

It doesn't matter.  You're married.  Whichever option you choose, you're going to be wrong.  Do whichever one you want.

We went to the Dominican last year. Just the two of us. We laughed a lot at all the poor, poor families travelling internationally with kids. They were visually exhausted and very very angry. Good times.

We went to the Dominican last year. Just the two of us. We laughed a lot at all the poor, poor families travelling internationally with kids. They were visually exhausted and very very angry. Good times.
On the plane or at the hotel?

Until I achieve Chet level FBG financial standing $750 is a sizable chunk of change.  I’d rather spend that money on family vacation memories and use the somewhat inconvenient travel schedule for some dumb “life lessons from Dad” speech

Right.  Plus I think waking up early and running around to go catch a plane might not make me super motivated to go do stuff once there and unpacked and stuff.  We would probably be tired.

Option B for me even if there was no cost savings.  You and wife can take turns with a nap the next day if you need to.

And of course as I said, hand wife cash

I cant understand anyone voting A. I love vacation and I love money. Option B gives you more of both.
You get to the airport, see that your flight is delayed a half hour.  You get to the gate, and now it's an hour.  45 minutes pass and you get the dreaded announcement from the gate crew that the flight has to be cancelled because it's been delayed beyond the legal limit for the pilots.  Small chance, but it happens with late flights like that.  

Option A is way less stressful.  I'd still take B though.  

When is the trip?  You need to come back and update us on whether or not this was a good decision...…...
Taking off Thursday night next week. It was between the Super Bowl by myself (49ers fan) for 2 days or a family vacation for 8 days. Debated just taking the family to South Florida, but honestly, it’s not warm enough for them to really enjoy the weather. We’ll watch the game at a beach bar, should create a memory for the kids. Prob fade from the 4 year old’s memory, but I’m hoping this trip and watching this Super Bowl will stick with the older one. 

Users who are viewing this thread