What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 NFL Free Agency & Trades - Jadeveon Clowney & Logan Ryan are still available (1 Viewer)

Diggs just tweeted “It’s time for a new beginning.” :oldunsure:  
Twitter rando: “Every time Stefon Diggs gets butthurt he posts some ominous tweet about new beginnings or change. Then we get report "Minnesota has no intention of trading Diggs" and he posts himself in Vikings uniform hugging a teammate or something. Relax Pats fans, hes just a drama queen.“

Diggs responds: “Nah this ain’t one of them times champ. Somethings going to happen.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/stefondiggs/status/1239632504744747009

This.  Anytime you pay a high draft pick for the privledge of giving a player a huge deal, you lost the trade.

Just wait a year and you can give him a huge deal without paying the first.
Not if you lose a bidding war with other interested parties.

And you know what kind of player you're getting in the trade. You THINK you know with the draft pick.

Colts have $65m in cap space. Money is not a problem.

Not if you lose a bidding war with other interested parties.

And you know what kind of player you're getting in the trade. You THINK you know with the draft pick.

Colts have $65m in cap space. Money is not a problem.
"Money is not a problem" is what you say two years before complete cap hell.

It's a bad move IMO - it is just about every time.

I'm having trouble thinking of the example in which this sort of deal worked out for the team sending a first...

is it the 1st rounder you have a problem with or a big contract? 

if it's the first then I believe you have a fever... and it's not COVID19

IMO anytime you can get a stud for a 1st, you do it... unless it's a top 10 pick. 
Neither individually - the combination of them I don't like.

Don't pay a 1st round AND a huge contract.  

This was number 13? - I normally agree with getting studs for picks but not when you have to cough up that kind of money along with the pick.

is it the 1st rounder you have a problem with or a big contract? 

if it's the first then I believe you have a fever... and it's not COVID19

IMO anytime you can get a stud for a 1st, you do it... unless it's a top 10 pick. 
It's the 13th pick and they likely could have had possibly the top DT in the draft or a QB of the future with the pick (It's entirely possible they decided they don't like Herbert or Love).  They gave it up to pay Buckner $21M a year?  That's dumb.  The 13th pick last year got $15.5M TOTAL before their option year.

The pick is a 50/50 shot. They have so much cap. They don't have some other team setting the price. They can front load some money. Great deal IMO. It's what Dallas tried to do but couldn't because Cooper had his eyes set on a dump truck of cash 
Who wouldn't pay some relatively small amount of cap space (the difference between another teams offer and yours, agents aren't dumb) for a first round pick?

Dallas is a perfect example of this blowing up in your face - the kind where you lose them both.

Chicago is a decent example of this not working out very well - the kind where you give up a ton and then 1 year later you have a bad contract on your hands (Mack).

What if the QB or DT busts? Just because it's the top DT doesnt mean he won't bust. The QBs in this class are shakey, IMO, after Burrow. Itl think this trade signals that IND thinks they can pull a Denver and get their guy round 2

Draft picks are far from a guarantee

And Indy doesn't want to wait for some rookie to develop; they want to win now. 
What if Buckner isn't as good as expected one year into the deal, like Khalil Mack?

Browns signed former-Redskins QB Case Keenum to a three-year, $18 million contract.

The deal includes $10 million in guaranteed money. It's not an insignificant number, although backup QB was an area for need with little proven depth behind Baker Mayfield. Keenum has struggled to replicate the magic he enjoyed with the Vikings in 2017, posting below-average numbers in both Denver and Washington over the past two seasons. Still, Keenum is a nine-year veteran that has the ability to both provide support to Mayfield and keep the Browns offense above sea level if called upon.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 5:37 PM ET

Who wouldn't pay some relatively small amount of cap space (the difference between another teams offer and yours, agents aren't dumb) for a first round pick?

Dallas is a perfect example of this blowing up in your face - the kind where you lose them both.

Chicago is a decent example of this not working out very well - the kind where you give up a ton and then 1 year later you have a bad contract on your hands (Mack).
Vikings traded a first and two thirds for Jared Allen. That's one that worked out well.

What if the QB or DT busts? Would you feel the same way?

Just because it's the top DT doesnt mean he won't bust. The QBs in this class are shakey, IMO, after Burrow. Itl think this trade signals that IND thinks they can pull a Denver and get their guy round 2

Draft picks are far from a guarantee

And Indy doesn't want to wait for some rookie to develop; they want to win now. 
What if Buckner gets hurt?  What if he regresses after becoming the richest DT in the NFL?  

Nothing in the NFL is guaranteed other than the money on a monster contract, and Buckner just got boatloads.

Giants: 3 for 45 for James Bradberry

I've never understood the hype for this guy. he shut down Mike Evans a couple times, and was a JAG against everyone else. I'm not sure he's a starting caliber CB, let alone a #1. This feels like Trumaine Johnson all over again, only with the other NY team.

FA is nuts, teams just throw money at garbage sometimes. 

Stephen Weatherly was a completely useless player on the Vikings. XFL level talent. 2/12.5 to the Panthers. Unbelievable, guys like him are annually available in round 5 of the draft, and are cheap.

What if Buckner gets hurt?  What if he regresses after becoming the richest DT in the NFL?  

Nothing in the NFL is guaranteed other than the money on a monster contract, and Buckner just got boatloads.
Sure anything can happen but Buckner busting is surely a much lower probability than a draft pick busting.

Why trade a 1st for Mahomes when you can just draft Justin Herbert, right?

Kyle Van Noy to the Dolphins — 4/51, $30 MM guaranteed.

Javon Hargrave to the Eagles — 3/39, $26MM guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

The #Raiders are pushing to close out a deal with QB Marcus Mariota, sources tell me and @RapSheet. Mike Mayock's No. 1-ranked QB in his @nflnetwork coverage leading up to the 2015 Draft could soon be on his roster.

7:45 PM · Mar 16, 2020

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

The #Raiders are pushing to close out a deal with QB Marcus Mariota, sources tell me and @RapSheet. Mike Mayock's No. 1-ranked QB in his @nflnetwork coverage leading up to the 2015 Draft could soon be on his roster.

7:45 PM · Mar 16, 2020
I actually like this for Marcus, even if I wouldn't expect him to start over Carr at first.

Users who are viewing this thread