What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Size Regular T Shirt Do You Wear? (1 Viewer)

What Size Regular T Shirt Do You Wear?

• I wear a XS T-shirt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear a S T-shirt

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I wear a M T-shirt

Votes: 43 18.6%
  • I wear a L T-shirt

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • I wear an XL T-shirt

Votes: 80 34.6%
  • I wear an XXL T-shirt

Votes: 31 13.4%
  • I wear an XXXL T-shirt

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • I wear an XXXXL T-shirt

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
@AAABatteries noted the story about a plus sized male model who wears a XXXXL shirt.

Clearly, T-shirt size isn't everything. But wondering how our community fits in with this. 

To Be Super Clear - keep the comments on the super civil side. Do not be uncool here. 

But also please comment with relevant stuff. 

Is it a struggle?

How you feel about it?

Do you actively try to do something about this? 

Other thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tangent point - for the guys who wear a shirt in the XS to XL range, do you have to actively work at it to be there? Is it just natural? Maybe same shape as a XXL guy just not as tall? That kind of thing. 

I'm now realizing I probably should have asked this with BMI score but that requires more work.
No, no,  no.  Don't make me face my BMI score.  Bad enough my doctor is on my case about 9.1% A1C,  

Tangent point - for the guys who wear a shirt in the XS to XL range, do you have to actively work at it to be there? Is it just natural? Maybe same shape as a XXL guy just not as tall? That kind of thing. 

I'm now realizing I probably should have asked this with BMI score but that requires more work. Still super easy though https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
L, but mainly because M is too short - M tall is ideal. I work very hard to maintain. 6+ hours of exercise per week and meticulous with food until dinner time most days. 

Undershirt is now a medium. Could almost wear a regular tshirt as a medium but not quite. Wasn't long ago both were an XL. Hoping to be able to be in a M in all if I want soon. Have to work at it a lot. Combo of better eating and a crapton of running (technical term, imo) and I got under 200 lbs for the first time in over 20 years sometime last year. Have a goal of getting down to about 180ish over the next couple of months. 

I'm now realizing I probably should have asked this with BMI score but that requires more work. Still super easy though https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
Always been lanky and eaten whatever I want. Also played various sports all the time that involved lots of running and jumping. Stuff that would just burn calories like crazy. 

Have had to shift to being more active as opposed to sports unfortunately to avoid injuries in past few years. I was worried what would happen with my fitness as my legs started piling up injuries. I had subscribed to the thinking of something I had read from Norman Mailer years ago - something to the effect of if exercise doesn’t involve danger or sport than it’s just wearing you out for no reason.

Luckily I have found a routine I like and look forward to it. Also through my insurance I had to start getting bloodwork in exchange to receive a discount. So now I have some numbers to try and keep up with every 6 months. 

Pretty much a large - I can wear mediums but unless it’s high quality and doesn’t shrink any it’s a little too snug.

6'5" and 275 (and shrinking)....XXL but mostly for length.  In polo shirts and fitted shirts I do XL Long....I don't know of T Shirts that have that "long" option :oldunsure:  

XL - Please tell me this is because you are getting back into shirts and hats, Joe! ;)  

I destroyed my FBG hat by wearing it too much, especially in summer sweaty times!!

L unless it's european, in which case they probably don't make an xl to fit me.

Eta...6', 195. I was at 185 during my triathlon/ IM days 15 years ago, so carrying a few extra lbs.

5'11--225---XL for me. I have a beer gut I have to lose, but I can't stop drinking beer--so it is sort of a catch 22 there.

BMI ranges from 24-25, t shirt L but can wear M sometimes. 6'0, 177-185 lbs, 30" waist. 

i am a medium, but like to buy XL.  the shirts tend to shrink and i like some length for the tuck, if needed.  if i buy M, i feel like 1 wash and i’m done.

L unless it's european, in which case they probably don't make an xl to fit me.

Eta...6', 195. I was at 185 during my triathlon/ IM days 15 years ago, so carrying a few extra lbs.
I'm 6'1" or 6'0 about 220, and a XXL from the Picasso gift shop in Barcelona is a bit small -- length-wise

@AAABatteries noted the story about a plus sized male model who wears a XXXXL shirt.

Clearly, T-shirt size isn't everything. But wondering how our community fits in with this. 

To Be Super Clear - keep the comments on the super civil side. Do not be uncool here. 

But also please comment with relevant stuff. 

Is it a struggle?

How you feel about it?

Do you actively try to do something about this? 

Other thoughts?
I was hoping you were giving away t-shirts.  :sadbanana:

I finally had to admit that my BlackEyedJoe.com t-shirt was more hole than shirt a few months ago and gave it a viking funeral.  

Medium. I can easily fit into small, but it wouldn't be as comfortable. For sweaters and sweatshirts, I wear small.

XL. 6’0” and 205. I’m fairly athletic and have wide shoulders so L just doesn’t fit me well. And I like to be comfortable. Even when I’m at 195 I still wear XL.

Hate snug fitting stuff, so usually go XL.  6-4 about 210lbs.   Sone Ls would be ok depending on brand.

Dad gut is a bit bigger, but not a ton off from college weight despite doing 0 things physical.  

5' 9" 219 lb.  Really in a tough spot here between XL and XXL.  Most don't fit perfectly.

To fully answer the question. I clocked into a Dr.'s office around 6'1" within the past four, but they measure with shoes on, so I'm thinking more like 6' or 5'11".

220-5 lbs.

XL looks big, L is beginning to look small.

I wear rock T-shirts and plain Ts, a Ben Sherman L-XL, etc.

My go-to is a J.Crew XL Slim black pocket. Looks boss hoss for my freakishly stupid body.

Medium, BMI 23.7. Used to wear L, but prefer more fitted shirts as I age. 

If FFA is representative of the general population, they may need to recalibrate shirt sizing.

Also, BMI is fine for the general population as a predictor of obesity and related health complications. Most people aren't bodybuilders or elite athletes. In fact, BMI underestimates excess body fat in sedentary people more often than it characterizes non-obese people as obese.

Medium, BMI 23.7. Used to wear L, but prefer more fitted shirts as I age. 

If FFA is representative of the general population, they may need to recalibrate shirt sizing.

Also, BMI is fine for the general population as a predictor of obesity and related health complications. Most people aren't bodybuilders or elite athletes. In fact, BMI underestimates excess body fat in sedentary people more often than it characterizes non-obese people as obese.
They've already done this, my friend, just like jeans are nowhere near indicative of tailor sizes anymore, neither are t-shirts. I'm overweight. Their sizes are taking into account that I'm normal-sized. I'm not. I have large shoulders and too much adipose tissue, as it were. But the population is getting more obese by BMI standards, so the sizes are changing. I study the brands of shirt labels on the printed shirts I buy. A Gildan, Tultex, or American Apparel XL is a lot larger than it was ten years ago. .

They've already done this, my friend, just like jeans are nowhere near indicative of tailor sizes anymore, neither are t-shirts. I'm overweight. Their sizes are taking into account that I'm normal-sized. I'm not. I have large shoulders and too much adipose tissue, as it were. But the population is getting more obese by BMI standards, so the sizes are changing. I study the brands of shirt labels on the printed shirts I buy. A Gildan, Tultex, or American Apparel XL is a lot larger than it was ten years ago. .
I guess it really doesn’t matter, though labels may need to upsize to accommodate the extra exes.

How are you guys that are 5'10 - 6'0 wearing M and L T-shirts.  I am 6'0 190 and a L feels like a mid rif muscle shirt. XL here for the most comfort.
Check the size chart from certain vendors. Chest is 42, from arm to pit is "22 and length can be anywhere from "30-"31. That'll fit an average-sized 5'10" - 6'0" man, depending on how fitting the shirt.

You might also have naturally huge shoulders and chest, putting you on the outs of the sort of sizing. 

I am 6-1 210lbs.    Some Larges fit perfect but a little snug.  Most XLs are too baggy around the waist area.
Yeah, unless it's a slim fit cut, I have the same issue. XLs right now are a little baggy in the waist, the Ls too snug and therefore not flattering, either. 

5'10", 158 lbs. I'm currently rocking a medium, which is actually a bit roomier than I thought it would be, though I do have a few L shirts that run on the smaller side of that. 

Really depends on who makes the shirt and what the shirt is made of.  100% cotton always shrinks for me in the dryer so I usually do a size bigger.  I would say a range of L to XXL on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread