What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black man trying to deposit checks from racial discrimination suit is racially discriminated at the bank (1 Viewer)

PSF with this stuff in the future, pls. Not kidding. This will eventually get political and stuff like this is where it goes. 

How on earth could someone make this political. 
It always winds up that way. Or it becomes a group circle of posturing and condemnation of the bank that makes for a waste of a thread. Either way, we're supposed to sit and condemn the bank, which is fine to do and all, but it reminds me of a bunch of apes sitting in a circle banging bones. 

It always winds up that way. Or it becomes a group circle of posturing and condemnation of the bank that makes for a waste of a thread. Either way, we're supposed to sit and condemn the bank, which is fine to do and all, but it reminds me of a bunch of apes sitting in a circle banging bones. 
Actually the really cool thing about this thread and the internet in general is that you don't even have to click on it or come back. You can simply ignore it and move on. It's an awesome feature.

Actually the really cool thing about this thread and the internet in general is that you don't even have to click on it or come back. You can simply ignore it and move on. It's an awesome feature.
You can also not introduce politics if you’re worried about it becoming political. 

Kind of like racially discriminating against someone who had just been racially discriminated against. 

Not following, but ok. 

Jeez. Tell that to Joe and the original move to create a PSF. That would seem to undercut your thesis. But you keep on with the condescension and the explanation. I just eat lunch here. 

And have a fantastic day. You know I mean it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the remedy to this discrimination? Is it privately or publicly administered? 

Contract, Breach, Remedy. 

The suit filed by Thomas this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says he has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

Who enforces this and what law did he sue under? Is that law broken or breached? Is that law legitimate? Should it be on the books or enforced?

All politics. This whole thing is political. Sorry if you can't see it. Sad that Otis the lawyer can't recognize that it is political because the bank is accused of being afoul of the law, which is, ya know...political. 

Bank spokesman Tom Wennerberg told the Detroit Free Press that the branch manager is African American and that Thomas' race was not a factor.

So what law is he suing under? Likely a civil rights law.

Treble damages, maybe?

Not political in the least. I'm just weird. Federal and state law and all. 

I'll leave the thread. You can all carry on, tilting at windmills, fighting the power, and drum circling.

So what law is he suing under? Likely a civil rights law.

Treble damages, maybe?

Not political in the least. I'm just weird. Federal and state law and all. 
This was on the local news.   Bank manger said his account had been inactive for a long time, that he had 3 different large checks that  they tried but could not be verified, and that he wanted a very large cash withdrawal on the spot.   Manager said with that large of cash taken out they had to verify that the checks had the funds as they would for anyone as they were not cashiers checks.  Man got agitated at the female clerk as it was taking time to try and verify the checks, clerk got scared and called police.

Manager said clerk was inexperienced and should have said "We will deposit all the funds and cash will be available when checks clear"

I wonder if the manager was being truthful when she told Thomas the check verification system was down.  Did the manager even try to verify the checks or did she go straight to calling the police?

@Da Guru post above helps with this.  

This was on the local news.   Bank manger said his account had been inactive for a long time, that he had 3 different large checks that  they tried but could not be verified, and that he wanted a large cash withdrawal on the spot.   Manager said with that large of cash taken out they had to verify that the checks had the funds as they would for anyone were not cashiers checks.  Man got agitated at the female clerk as it was taking time to try and verify the checks, clerk got scared and called police.

Manager said clerk was inexperienced and should have said "We will deposit all the funds and cash will be available when checks clear"
I said I was leaving the thread. But thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. I have no further comment on the matter other than my prior ones. Thanks, man. 

This was on the local news.   Bank manger said his account had been inactive for a long time, that he had 3 different large checks that could they tried but could not be verified, and that he wanted a large cash withdrawal on the spot.   Manager said with that large of cash taken out they had to verify that the checks had the funds as they would for anyone were not cashiers checks.  Man got agitated at the female clerk as it was taking time to try and verify the checks, clerk got scared and called police.

This reads totally different than that article.  I mean it’s like two different stories with just the basic premise the same.  Crazy.

I wonder if the manager was being truthful when she told Thomas the check verification system was down.  Did the manager even try to verify the checks or did she go straight to calling the police?

@Da Guru post above helps with this.  
Well a Livonia Police Sargent plays in my golf league I will ask him when I see him.

This reads totally different than that article.  I mean it’s like two different stories with just the basic premise the same.  Crazy.
They always are.    As I said in above post.  I know a guy who is in that cities police department.  Livonia is about 6 miles outside Detroit City Limits. They are always on high alert and get many stolen cars, smash and grabs because you can jump on the freeway and by in the heart of Detroit in 5-10 minutes

So we have to wait until the Spring?  We need answers now man.  ;)  
LOL..I don`t hang out with him.

My biggest takeaway from this story is it’s now 2020 and we still have fraudulent checks as a problem?  How has technology not solved this already?

This was on the local news.   Bank manger said his account had been inactive for a long time, that he had 3 different large checks that  they tried but could not be verified, and that he wanted a very large cash withdrawal on the spot.   Manager said with that large of cash taken out they had to verify that the checks had the funds as they would for anyone as they were not cashiers checks.  Man got agitated at the female clerk as it was taking time to try and verify the checks, clerk got scared and called police.

I said I was leaving the thread. But thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. I have no further comment on the matter other than my prior ones. Thanks, man. 
And the posters that immediately went off the deep end weren’t heard from again lol

The bank manager was probably high.
Because the manager who dealt with him was black?

The man then went to a nearby Chase Bank and opened an account but they would not cash the checks either or give any cash withdrawal until the checks cleared.  Funds were available to the man the next business day.

Looks like a clickbait thread title, which links to a story with a clickbait headline as well.

I don't see anything that proves that he was racially discriminated against at the bank. Sounds like it could have been handled better, at the very least for sure. 

Yeah, I'm going to side with the bank on this one.  All the drama was likely caused by the customer insisting to get money back immediately.  

I'm still confused by this. Wasn't this the logic of the PSF Forum? That traffic was being driven away from the front page simply because people couldn't ignore it, or so the argument went?

Otis, NREC34, Aaron Rudnicki and 1 other reacted to this

Okay, so bring the PSF back into the fold. No, wait, let's take posters that post there (I rarely do these days), quarantine them, and then get rid of their topics entirely so that us upright citizens can get political on the front page again?

GG, rud.

No, not throwing any brushbacks, GB. Just highlighting that the very sentiment that people were arguing before the division of topics into "political" and "not political" into a subforum, which was heartily argued for and finally agreed upon sometime in '17 (?). The whole purpose for the separation was that you couldn't ignore things you didn't want to see, and I think it's odd that a moderator finds my line of thought about this thread "weird" or that, indeed and admittedly, you can ignore the thread on the front page. We were told the front page was ruined because people couldn't ignore it. 

Therefore, I argue that bringing politics and politically-tinged stuff back into the FFA, however subtly, seems to me to be bad form when there was a board discussion and a decision to move politics into the PSF, whose very fate was tenuous a few weeks back and hence, up to and including today.

The entire argument about moving politics out of the FFA was that it was a stain on the front page; that every argument was politically loaded or only those political topics took precedence over those on the second page. "A cleaner front page with relevant non-political topics," we were promised. As it stands now, the very existence of political discussion is under consideration for removal from the site, and now those that called loudest for its separation either see fit to reintroduce it or just ignore the rules (namely, certain FFAers in the Shark Pool who do this) when it was their idea to separate the topics into a forum and subforum in the first place.

To make the case more strongly: I don't think I've derailed a thread over in the PSF nor really grumbled about moderation other than to thank the thankless that do it. But this, on the front page, seems like poor moderation.

That's my two cents. This was an ill-conceived, sociopolitical thread in form and content. The title of the thread frames it wrongly, perhaps, as we now have a totally different story from other sources and the bank; the story itself was dripping with political implications as properly understood; and that's about all I have to say, which I said I'd stop before, but seeing the reactions from people, I ought explain my posts.

I had this happen when I was doing landscape work.  Had a personal check made out to me for 12K.   I wanted to cash it because 9K was being paid out to other contractors and labor costs.   I was somewhat new at the bank and they said the check would have to clear first. I get it as I only had 1500.00 in my account and it was a lot of money and my people want to be paid in cash.   It cleared the next day.   Manager just said to call in advance if I had a large checks  and wanted a cash payout as many banks might only have 30-40K on hand at  given times.

I feel as though the heart of this story is a pretty hefty case of miscommunication. If he was indeed discriminated against, shame on the bank. If he just flipped out because of a mostly inactive account and a failure to understand how deposits work, that's on him. The truth is probably somewhere between the two sides, and the reporting didn't make it any clearer.

Looks like a clickbait thread title, which links to a story with a clickbait headline as well.

Yeah the Detroit Free Press has been totally gutted and destroyed like most other local papers. Its a crime what we did to journalism in this country. 

Because the technology being used (checks) is an old, paper based technology.
I guess I meant more that companies that cut checks via software (which is my assumption here) would be able to have notification to a bank that it's valid.  Maybe I'm under-thinking it but it seems like this would be a possibility. 

I get how hand written checks that aren't automated would be harder to police.

PSF with this stuff in the future, pls. Not kidding. This will eventually get political and stuff like this is where it goes. 
No offense GB but I've read every post and you seem to be the one trying real hard to make it political.  I understand things like affirmative action and even financial institutions and regulation thereof are political but this just seems like a discrimination case that has a hint of irony/humor/sadness to it.  It doesn't have to be political.  Just my 2 cents.

No offense GB but I've read every post and you seem to be the one trying real hard to make it political.  I understand things like affirmative action and even financial institutions and regulation thereof are political but this just seems like a discrimination case that has a hint of irony/humor/sadness to it.  It doesn't have to be political.  Just my 2 cents.
We talked about my take over in the $188 M home thread, GB. I think I was projecting, and apologized to everyone. I think it's settled on my end, apologies hopefully accepted.

I was in the process of writing you a PM, too...I wanted to apologize personally and figured that was the best way, but since we're high-fiving, I'll take this opportunity to say I was out of line calling you in particular out. You're driving content. That's a good thing. My apologies, GB. 

I guess I meant more that companies that cut checks via software (which is my assumption here) would be able to have notification to a bank that it's valid.  Maybe I'm under-thinking it but it seems like this would be a possibility. 

I get how hand written checks that aren't automated would be harder to police.
That would mean information would have to pass from the company to their bank then to every other financial institution in real-time.  We'll probably go paperless (no more checks) before such a system would be built.  

Users who are viewing this thread