What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash - TMZ (1 Viewer)

Cuban says no Dallas Maverick will ever again wear number 24. Wonder if the rest of the league follows suit. Kobe really did transcend a Lakers or even NBA impact. Impossibly sad. 

Apologize for the melodrama, but I'm wrecked. Picked up season seats with my best friend in 87 and never let them go. I haven't watched a full football game this year, but I haven't missed a night of nba... or nba dfs. I made a dfs team last night and entered it 50 times to be edited repeatedly today. I never changed it. I can't watch the games. I don't want to hear the words. I'm in denial.
No apologies necessary. I loved Kobe. He has a lot of fans but also a lot of detractors. As a natural contrarian, I always loved that I loved him and it seemed to me that most didn’t. 

I am just devastated. Heartbroken even. I lost my little brother a few months ago and that was obviously harder to handle/cope but this hurts too. 

Vanessa has disabled comments on Instagram. Looking at all the Gigi playing basketball and her happy life. Kobe's is still up with people posting under his last post with LeBron thoughts.

My nephew flies apaches and said in this situation you have to trust your flight instruments and climb climb climb. Can’t understand why he was at 875 — said they are pressurized and can go to 14000. 

I'm pretty sure a helicopter with tourists crashed in Hawaii very recently.
Yep 40 something woman and her 14 year old daughter from Madison WI were amongst those victims. They were on a “dream vacation”.  Her husband and teenage son were on the trip but didn’t go on the helicopter tour.  I couldn’t imagine...

My nephew flies apaches and said in this situation you have to trust your flight instruments and climb climb climb. Can’t understand why he was at 875 — said they are pressurized and can go to 14000. 
Had the same thought. Lose visibility, call to clear room above you and climb until you can see.

And for those saying planes are safer with an engine failure, that's not true. Helicopters are made to be able to land in an engine failure. You never hear of them just dropping out of the air.

This is beyond tragic. I'm just trying to cope. Never routed for the Lakers (Celtics fan) but this was a serious gut punch. Thoughts and prayers to his family. This just sucks in every way possible. 

My SIL's father was born in Sicily, 100% Italian, and has worked in several of the finest Italian restaurants in OC after owning his own place in MV for 22 years.  Kobe frequented them often and he always took time out to speak in Italian to him. My SIL's father loved these conversations and always told us that Kobe was always incredibly nice and gracious.  Needless to say, SIL and daughter are taking this very hard.  Kobe's was the only jersey I ever bought her.
####.  My SIL's dad just posted a pic on FB with him and Venessa.  Describing all the good memories, especially how polite, courteous and kind his daughters always were.   :cry:

Just spitballing and have zero aviation knowledge, but, that area is surrounded by airports. Burbank, Van Nuys, LAX, Whiteman, Santa Monica... who knows what the "safe" flight paths are around there.
I don’t either but I would assume that’s what the air traffic control is for. Like apple jack said, call to clear above. I’m definitely not trying to knock the pilot here, I have no idea what happened, he just said their training is to climb. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't watched any videos or anything yet. I can't. I'm hoping to watch some of the NBA tributes at some point but just wouldn't be able to get through one now.

I don't watch the NBA anymore and haven't for a while. But in my teens and early 20s, it was all I watched. Sportscenter basketball highlights were on TV constantly before going to class in undergrad. I never liked the Lakers and wasn't a Kobe fan per se but this is one of those megastars that I grew up with. 

####.

I don’t either but I would assume that’s what the air traffic control is for. 
I have no clue on the crash. But just thought I'd mention, if they weren't in controlled airspace, they could have been flying VFR and not be talking to ATC. No idea if that was the case or not.

Just spitballing and have zero aviation knowledge, but, that area is surrounded by airports. Burbank, Van Nuys, LAX, Whiteman, Santa Monica... who knows what the "safe" flight paths are around there.
This seems like it may have contributed to it, I'm not watching all the videos on this though.  Seems like a heavily congested area for air traffic

It was a helluva run. Thankful for the 20 seasons of entertainment he provided me and millions of other Laker fans - has any player given more to a single fan base?  It was cool to see his growth as a person in recent years, tragic to see that part end so soon. I also got the feeling that if Gianna had continued to develop as a player, Kobe was the exact kind of champion who could have given women’s sports a monster boost.   

Watching clips today, obviously the game winners and championships are the highlights.  But as someone now coaching kids, it’s his footwork that is just so unreal.  Trying to teach 9 year olds a basic pivot can be impossible...the stuff Kobe did with his feet was perhaps his greatest physical skill, IMO.  

I just listened to the burbank and van nuys towers conversation linked above, sounds like the chopper was held in position near Glendale waiting for Burbank traffic to clear, then routed north of BUR, west around VNY, and told to stay at or below 2500. Not sure exactly what happens with the chopper after it left VNY. Sounded like he wanted to follow the 101 after passing VNY (which is south of VNY) and just wandered too far south, but then also dropped way lower than 2500, down to 1200 at one point. The link did not have the conversation (if any) that led to the "u-turn" being reported and shown on the NBC flight path.
That southern turn just looks so odd on the map

Sportscenter is tough to watch and keep a dry eye right now. Beside the obvious gut wrenching reasons of undeserved pain to his family and a daughter that will never see her great potential I think this has me shook as he was my age and one of few great athletes I watched grow every step of the way. Drafted by the Hornets, hoping he would stay there as a fan at the time. Having a roommate in college that had to guard him in high school sharing how insane he was. Seeing him fail in his personal life but bounce back to hold together and build a beautiful family. Never rooting for him as a player but respecting the greatness when he always dominated the team you were rooting for. On top of that an extremely intelligent individual that had so much more to contribute in the years to come. It’s just a complete gut punch. RIP Kobe, a true legend and face of our generation. 

My fingers are heavy as I type this,. It may be the bourbon. I never cared much one way or the other for Kobe. But I'm super, super sad he's gone.  I've typed out the reasons for my capitulation a few times but the truth is none of it matters.  Whatever he was or is, I think we've lost a solid, bright dude.  For those of you who don't know, Kobe spent his formative years in Rieti, Italy, the center of italy, one of my favorite towns in the world.  Honestly, he wasn't well liked by the locals.  But he immersed himself in the culture and came through it fluent in italian. Ah, Hell, we can tell Kobe stories another time.  For now, a conflicted but sincere RIP.

Learned something new. Helicopters like this can’t just stop and ride straight up, they need to continue forward like a plane. 

Long story short the pilot flew into the mountain. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Learned something new. Helicopters this can’t just stop and ride straight up, they need to continue forward like a plane. 

Thanks for sharing that info, the guy in the link gives an excellent explanation. I had no idea as well and autopilot isn’t an option if the speed drops too low. Tough to watch the flight pattern and how long they had to hold in place, makes you start the “what if’s” of off the air traffic was less at the time we wouldn’t be here now. Brutally sad. 

It was a helluva run. Thankful for the 20 seasons of entertainment he provided me and millions of other Laker fans - has any player given more to a single fan base?  It was cool to see his growth as a person in recent years, tragic to see that part end so soon. I also got the feeling that if Gianna had continued to develop as a player, Kobe was the exact kind of champion who could have given women’s sports a monster boost.   

Watching clips today, obviously the game winners and championships are the highlights.  But as someone now coaching kids, it’s his footwork that is just so unreal.  Trying to teach 9 year olds a basic pivot can be impossible...the stuff Kobe did with his feet was perhaps his greatest physical skill, IMO.  
For you, big guy. Nothing but love to you and yours.

I got a daughter near her age. A daddies girl. It's been easy to see in all the photo's of them together,  when you see him discuss her, the smile always on her face when he spoke to her that she was a big time daddies girl. Was shocked when I heard news of his death but admit I was not a huge Kobe fan and if it was just him that perished today I'd have hated that he  lost a  life that has such enormous potential remaining  but can't say I"d be overly saddened for someone I don't know. But seeing the photo's of them together and hearing the way he talked about her, like how she was going to continue on the family name in basketball, has really hurt my heart. Was watching coverage with my daughter earlier and she said at least they were together and will take the next journey together.Sounds like such a cliche, but on a few occasions today I gave my daughter a little extra hug out of nowhere.

Learned something new. Helicopters like this can’t just stop and ride straight up, they need to continue forward like a plane. 

Yeah. I was wondering why they didn't just hover and raise higher

Gianna and Kobe were so close. Can't imagine if Gianna survived. Not saying it's not horrific for the other family members but she was glued to him. Vanessa called her Kobe's twin.

Users who are viewing this thread