What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you teach ESL in Korea for a year? (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
They provide you housing, healthcare and food. No prior knowledge of teaching English. What’s the catch?

I lived in SE Asia for 8 years as a kid.  Pretty interesting experience and today with the internet you are way more connected to people back home. 

I would definitely do it unless there were other considerations like moving kids for a year then back, which could be unsettling for them.

Otherwise these are the kind of experiences you will regret not doing when you are older.

I was stationed there a million years ago and loved it. The people, culture, history were all really cool. If you're in a developed area, it'd be cool. But there's a lot of WAY far out there places that might give one pause.

I never understood how someone could teach them if they don’t know English well and the teacher doesn’t know their native language. 

100% definitely. 

Koreans ladies have different attitudes to men and are some of my greatest experiences. If i were in my 20s and this choice came up, i wouldnt even read the fine print. 

Even without it, life experiences are made of things like this. 

A single male with a US passport would be highly desirable.

I had a close friend that did this in his late 20's. planned to do a single year and move on but stayed like 5 years. you make decent money and enjoy perks of being a respected member of the community. students were mostly very willing and their parents supportive. he made great friends there too.

100% definitely. 

Koreans ladies have different attitudes to men and are some of my greatest experiences. If i were in my 20s and this choice came up, i wouldnt even read the fine print. 

Even without it, life experiences are made of things like this. 

A single male with a US passport would be highly desirable.
Reading this, I feel like George Costanza in the episode where Elaine says “Jerry, you don’t realize how important (a man’s) hair is to a woman.”  Then she looks at George and says “I’m sorry George, but it’s true.”  To which George replies, dejectedly “I know.....”

I always suspected the quoted above from JML.....dammit.

I have read every one of the threads you've started while wondering about new life directions and i gotta say this'n makes the most sense. Open up your world with  a clean break from all your expectations, i say. GL -

Last edited by a moderator:
Our daughter (early 20’s) is doing this currently in Thailand with kindergarteners. She loves it, but being away from home and in a non-English speaking country is always a risk. 

She recently went to the hospital with corona virus systems in a region with other known cases. 

She’s feeling a little better so they haven’t tested her. Apparently she hasn’t been sick long enough for them to test her. Hopefully it was just a bug and it continues to subside. This was the second time she’s been in the hospital in the last 3-4 months. Health scares are definitely a potential issue in that section of the world. 

I had a close friend that did this in his late 20's. planned to do a single year and move on but stayed like 5 years. you make decent money and enjoy perks of being a respected member of the community. students were mostly very willing and their parents supportive. he made great friends there too.
I can't help but think of Parasite.

No, I couldn't do it. I have a good job here, and I tried teaching math, no thanks, not doing that again.

Users who are viewing this thread