What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best healthy cooked meal delivery (1 Viewer)

CurlyNight

Footballguy
No kits. I'm looking for my dad who can no longer do most of his daily activities of living including cooking. Does anyone have experience with a cooked meal delivery service with good customer service, flexible in changing things healthy meals with cooked veggies, good selection, and doesn't cost a ton? TIA

No kits. I'm looking for my dad who can no longer do most of his daily activities of living including cooking. Does anyone have experience with a cooked meal delivery service with good customer service, flexible in changing things healthy meals with cooked veggies, good selection, and doesn't cost a ton? TIA
This is going to be really regionally dependent.  

Look into the local Meals on Wheels program. Also, a lot of churches do outreach like that, as well. Sorry about your dad getting to that point.

Look into the local Meals on Wheels program. Also, a lot of churches do outreach like that, as well. Sorry about your dad getting to that point.
Thanks. It is devastating in that he's very healthy and mind is sharp. He was very active. Motor neuron diseases suck!

Do they look at his assets for programs? He doesn't work but he's not poor. Just needs help.

Thanks. It is devastating in that he's very healthy and mind is sharp. He was very active. Motor neuron diseases suck!

Do they look at his assets for programs? He doesn't work but he's not poor. Just needs help.
I believe Meals on Wheels has a sliding scale, depending on income/assets. Not sure of details, though.

Est of luck, my heart goes out to you both.

Not sure if this works, but to me it is fascinating to an older person who can't cook, but has been used to eating good food.

It is a smart oven, that cooks the kits after you scan the code for that individual item.

I believe Meals on Wheels has a sliding scale, depending on income/assets. Not sure of details, though.

Est of luck, my heart goes out to you both.
Just called them. The only thing I was worried about is he has a caregiver his waking hours. But he still lives alone and can't do anything by himself. So no driving, no cooking. They didn't talk money. That'll be discussed when they see him. Told them caregiver doesn't shop or cook so dad eats unhealthy frozen and ready made store stuff. That didn't disqualify him. They need to talk to him and do a home visit. No problem there. Answered a bunch of questions and they'll be in touch with him within the week. I pray it works out. His situation is tough without having to have meh food only because he can't shop or cook for himself. 

Thanks for the heads up on this. I know meals on wheels having worked in the medical field but his situation has me frazzled and not thinking well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked into an assisted living place? My wife's grandmother is 102 and has lived in one for 10 years or so. She is a very independent woman, so they practically had to drag her kicking and screaming, but now she loves it. It allows someone to cook her meals, unless she wants something herself in her room (she has a microwave and an apartment sized fridge). There is also activities and other things for her to do to keep her busy and 'aware.' The most important is having the ability to contact someone if she needs help on anything.

Not sure on expense, she is in rural Wisconsin, so that could drive down the costs.

Just a thought.

Have you looked into an assisted living place? My wife's grandmother is 102 and has lived in one for 10 years or so. She is a very independent woman, so they practically had to drag her kicking and screaming, but now she loves it. It allows someone to cook her meals, unless she wants something herself in her room (she has a microwave and an apartment sized fridge). There is also activities and other things for her to do to keep her busy and 'aware.' The most important is having the ability to contact someone if she needs help on anything.

Not sure on expense, she is in rural Wisconsin, so that could drive down the costs.

Just a thought.
He was in 1 back in 2018 for a month after a horrific fall. It was a decent 1 but he hated it. Food is always bland to take care of everyone's dietary stuff. My friend's mom is in one. Has dementia and remembers her home and cries. She hates it. My dad's mind is sharp and he has no health conditions. Having been in a rehab facility with everyone but 3 of us having health conditions, it's very depressing and you more easily give up in that environment. Should it come to that where home is no option anymore then no choice. But thankfully he has money so far to cover stuff. Always best to be in your own home for as long as possible. 

He was in 1 back in 2018 for a month after a horrific fall. It was a decent 1 but he hated it. Food is always bland to take care of everyone's dietary stuff. My friend's mom is in one. Has dementia and remembers her home and cries. She hates it. My dad's mind is sharp and he has no health conditions. Having been in a rehab facility with everyone but 3 of us having health conditions, it's very depressing and you more easily give up in that environment. Should it come to that where home is no option anymore then no choice. But thankfully he has money so far to cover stuff. Always best to be in your own home for as long as possible. 
Look into getting him a home health aide that can come a few hours a week/day, whatever.  A lot of them will help with laundry, cleaning, and cooking as well as set up meds and general welfare checks.  If he's having trouble with the food, then he'll need help with laundry, cleaning and other stuff also.  The aides don't have to be RN's so they are relatively inexpensive.  Setting up meds does require a nurse or something like that, but a lot of the companies can do 10hrs of aide per week and 1 hour of a nurse to check vitals and set up medications.  

You are right that the person who is going to live there has to decide, but I wouldn't put all of them in the same basket. It may be the sort of thing that you just need to visit a bunch of, like buying a new house. 

You are right that the person who is going to live there has to decide, but I wouldn't put all of them in the same basket. It may be the sort of thing that you just need to visit a bunch of, like buying a new house. 
We did look around. The plus was a nice size room and great staff. The price was reasonable. Cons was it's not home, food meh or bad which is big because he is sound mind and has his taste buds. 

Is it good portion for a guy? Hard to tell by the pics. Food is good? Customer service in switching stuff? Your experience? Tia
I found the portions to be great for losing weight.  I'm a big guy though.  They average about 500 calories per meal.  

I found the portions to be great for losing weight.  I'm a big guy though.  They average about 500 calories per meal.  
Hmm. Dad doesn't need to lose weight. He needs healthy calories with all the energy he expends just trying to walk. He's not a big guy. 5'8" wears medium size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it good portion for a guy? Hard to tell by the pics. Food is good? Customer service in switching stuff? Your experience? Tia
It's a decent size.  Definitely would not say its large though.  Food is pretty good imo.  I'm still new to it.  I've had like 5 different meals so far.

Users who are viewing this thread