What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Got into a hit & run fender bender last week (1 Viewer)

Nipsey

Footballguy
Long story short... I'm in an underground parking lot. Car ahead of me is stopped waiting for a car to pull out. While I'm stopped another car pulls out from a spot and backs into side of my car near the front wheel. Damage is apparent but my car still drives. His bumper is scratched up. Guy gets out says he didn't see me, I say I honked. We're blocking traffic so I say hold on and move my car up and into a spot. I go into my glove box for the insurance info, when I get out I see the guy peeling out of the garage and up the exit ramp. Hit and run! I'm standing there a little stunned and another car pulls up to me, guy waives me over. He took a picture of the guy and his plates. Said something similar happened to him and he thought the guy might bolt. What a mensch! I call my insurance, send them the photos. They tell me to fill out accident report at police station just to cover my behind.

Get a call this morning saying insurance company tracked the guy down. He admits on voicemail he backed into me. 100% he's at fault. He's confused how they got his info, they tell him there was witness and photos. Guy saying he doesn't want to go through insurance and open to work something out. Guy is a professional, his ride was high end. Have not had damage appraised yet because I don't have collision insurance, only liability because it's an older car. Was waiting to see if they could find the guy. Now that they have, what's the play here? Just say screw him and have his insurance pay whatever the estimate is? Deal with him directly? Guy seemed like a hot head when he got out of his car. Obviously shady with the hit and run. I'd assume the body damage estimate would be somewhere between $500-$1500. May have eff'ed up the alignment too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a scum bag. After the move he pulled, Id consider coming down with some "back pain" or something.

Total piece of garbage so there's no way I'd deal him directly.
I did say on police report there were no injuries. I'm just wondering if I should ask him for an amount and see if he'll pay it. The car is older. I likely would not fix the damage and use the money for other stuff.

I did say on police report there were no injuries. I'm just wondering if I should ask him for an amount and see if he'll pay it. The car is older. I likely would not fix the damage and use the money for other stuff.
Backs stiffen up a week or 2 later sometimes. The world is an imperfect place.

I mean, if the guy is willing to pay you (in cash) well above what you are entitled to, then sure. But I wouldn't even take a check from this dirtbag. He clearly can't be trusted

This scumbag doesn’t deserve any favors from you because: 

One- He didn’t know who you were and vice versa due to no insurance info being exchanged

Two - He thought he got away with it because of reason number one and he didn’t plan on witnesses taking any photos

let insurance handle this because that’s what you pay them for and also, there’s a reason why he pulled a hit-and-run. Let the police and insurance figure that out

Backs stiffen up a week or 2 later sometimes. The world is an imperfect place.

I mean, if the guy is willing to pay you (in cash) well above what you are entitled to, then sure. But I wouldn't even take a check from this dirtbag. He clearly can't be trusted
I don't know. He hit me at a very low speed. Would be tough think someone would be injured. Plus there was a witness who saw I was not and couldn't have been injured. Not looking go down that road. That said if the guy wants to pay above and beyond to avoid insurance I'd be open to that. I agree though, feel like a check or even a paypal would leave me exposed if the guy stopped payment in a few weeks. Can't imagine he would though seeing I gave the police his plates and had a witness.

I don't know. He hit me at a very low speed. Would be tough think someone would be injured. Plus there was a witness who saw I was not and couldn't have been injured. Not looking go down that road. That said if the guy wants to pay above and beyond to avoid insurance I'd be open to that. I agree though, feel like a check or even a paypal would leave me exposed if the guy stopped payment in a few weeks. Can't imagine he would though seeing I gave the police his plates and had a witness.
I mean...I was sort of half kidding regarding the "injury" as long as you're comfortable that nothing will develop down the road.

My more general point is that I wouldn't do ANYTHING to make this guy's life easier while you settle this thing.

This scumbag doesn’t deserve any favors from you because: 

One- He didn’t know who you were due to no insurance info being exchanged

Two - He thought he got away with it because of reason number one and he didn’t plan on witnesses taking any photos

let insurance handle this because that’s what you pay them for and also, there’s a reason why he pulled a hit-and-run. Let the police and insurance figure that out
Agree he deserves no favors which is why I'm asking if I should deal with him directly. Should I throw out a higher end number, have my insurance tell him he can paypal that to my address? Either way he's going to pay. How much would an insurance rate go up on a brand new high end suv for something like this?

You can still do this. The insurance company is likely to cut you a check.  Which you can do whatever you want with

Agree he deserves no favors which is why I'm asking if I should deal with him directly. Should I throw out a higher end number, have my insurance tell him he can paypal that to my address? Either way he's going to pay. How much would an insurance rate go up on a brand new high end suv for something like this?
I would insist on insurance handling it ONLY because he said he didn't want to handle it through insurance.  Also, I'd follow up with the police and press any charges I could.

You can still do this. The insurance company is likely to cut you a check.  Which you can do whatever you want with
Right but I'd get whatever the estimate was which could be anything. This guy wants to avoid involving his insurance company and is "open to working something out".

Right but I'd get whatever the estimate was which could be anything. This guy wants to avoid involving his insurance company and is "open to working something out".
If you're trying to scam him, well I guess that's a different conversation.

If you want to fix your broken car, use your insurance.

I would insist on insurance handling it ONLY because he said he didn't want to handle it through insurance.  Also, I'd follow up with the police and press any charges I could.
I thought when I filed the accident report I was "pressing charges". No? I didn't have his name but figured the police could easily access all his info using the plate number.

Scam him?
I don't understand your post.  At all.  

You get an estimate for repairs....Then you submit to your insurance company which then gets HIS insurance company to pay the damages.  If the estimate is wrong, the insurance company will get the additional $$ needed.  (Sometimes there are un-detected frame issues etc that can't be found until repairs begin).

IF..based on your post  your comment of him being "open to working something out" is some sort of way of saying you want to get more out of him than the repairs take, then you are scamming him.  And in that case, well good luck.  You might get scammed back.  

Oh, I get it. You’re looking for our approval to take this guy to the cleaners

No, do what you have to do by “working something out”

You get an estimate for repairs....Then you submit to your insurance company which then gets HIS insurance company to pay the damages.  If the estimate is wrong, the insurance company will get the additional $$ needed.  (Sometimes there are un-detected frame issues etc that can't be found until repairs begin).

IF..based on your post  your comment of him being "open to working something out" is some sort of way of saying you want to get more out of him than the repairs take, then you are scamming him.  And in that case, well good luck.  You might gets scammed back.  
His post above says the guy wants to work something out without involving his insurance. That's his right. Not a "scam." 

His post above says the guy wants to work something out without involving his insurance. That's his right. Not a "scam." 
Well I guess I wasn't the only one that read this as him trying to get more.  If not, then so be it.  Still makes no sense whatsoever.  Like zero

What does the estimate "Which could be anything" have to do with this conversation then?

IF..based on your post  your comment of him being "open to working something out" is some sort of way of saying you want to get more out of him than the repairs take, then you are scamming him.  And in that case, well good luck.  You might get scammed back.  
The guy is asking my insurance if he can buy his way out without involving his insurance. I am not scamming him. He is the one who made the offer. He hit my car and took off. I'm not the bad guy here. Sheesh.

The guy is asking my insurance if he can buy his way out without involving his insurance. I am not scamming him. He is the one who made the offer. He hit my car and took off. I'm not the bad guy here. Sheesh.
This is getting more and more bizarre. He's asking your insurance? Not you?

But what's confusing is the way Nipsey said that if he gets an estimate, that's all he'd get.  It's worded weird.
Yeah I'm lost.   Guess it was worded wrong.  Sorry.  wasn't accusing.  I just said IF that was your goal, then thats a different conversation

Yeah I'm lost.   Guess it was worded wrong.  Sorry.  wasn't accusing.  I just said IF that was your goal, then thats a different conversation
No.  I'm with you.  I took it the same way you did.  

From the way that post is written it sounds like he's saying he'll only get what's owed to him if he goes through insurance.  But if he works directly, he can take the guy for more money.

The guy doesn't want to involve his insurance because he doesn't want his premiums going up, probably because he has done this before (or at least has a history of at fault accidents)

You're doing him a courtesy by accommodating him in this request. So yeah, I'd ask for at least a little extra for my time/trouble.(and yeah, to teach him a lesson for the hit and run attempt)

My guess is he's 1 at fault away from getting non renewed and having to buy insurance for his range Rover from "The General", so he's willing to pay more cash to make it go away

But what's confusing is the way Nipsey said that if he gets an estimate, that's all he'd get.  It's worded weird.
I said I didn't know what I'd get. I haven't gotten an estimate. If they never found this guy I likely would have done nothing. I got a call this morning from insurance saying she tracked him down and spoke to the guy. Guy asked if something could be worked out on side and not involve insurance. She asked me what i wanted to do. I'm not sure so I'm asking for advice. I gotta call her back and tell her how to proceed.

The guy doesn't want to involve his insurance because he doesn't want his premiums going up, probably because he has done this before (or at least has a history of at fault accidents)

You're doing him a courtesy by accommodating him in this request. So yeah, I'd ask for at least a little extra for my time/trouble.

My guess is he's 1 at fault away from getting non renewed and having to buy insurance for his range Rover from "The General", so he's willing to pay more cash to make it go away
Exactly. So what do I do?

I said I didn't know what I'd get. I haven't gotten an estimate. If they never found this guy I likely would have done nothing. I got a call this morning from insurance saying she tracked him down and spoke to the guy. Guy asked if something could be worked out on side and not involve insurance. She asked me what i wanted to do. I'm not sure so I'm asking for advice. I gotta call her back and tell her how to proceed.
I'm not judging you, GB.  I'm just confused.  Or was confused.  But not judging in anyway.

Exactly. So what do I do?
Not a lawyer or a claims rep....but I might talk to the guy and see what he's willing to offer. Tell him get gets one chance and then you're going through insurance.

But unless he's offering something crazy, I probably wouldn't bite. Still a chance there could be some sort of unseen alignment problem with the car

I mean as long as you're legit working through your own insurance, let the guy do whatever he wants.  Again, let the insurance company handle it.  I'm not even sure why they are asking you what you want to do.  

Long story short... I'm in an underground parking lot. Car ahead of me is stopped waiting for a car to pull out. While I'm stopped another car pulls out from a spot and backs into side of my car near the front wheel. Damage is apparent but my car still drives. His bumper is scratched up. Guy gets out says he didn't see me, I say I honked. We're blocking traffic so I say hold on and move my car up and into a spot. I go into my glove box for the insurance info, when I get out I see the guy peeling out of the garage and up the exit ramp. Hit and run! I'm standing there a little stunned and another car pulls up to me, guy waives me over. He took a picture of the guy and his plates. Said something similar happened to him and he thought the guy might bolt. What a mensch! I call my insurance, send them the photos. They tell me to fill out accident report at police station just to cover my behind.

Get a call this morning saying insurance company tracked the guy down. He admits on voicemail he backed into me. 100% he's at fault. He's confused how they got his info, they tell him there was witness and photos. Guy saying he doesn't want to go through insurance and open to work something out. Guy is a professional, his ride was high end. Have not had damage appraised yet because I don't have collision insurance, only liability because it's an older car. Was waiting to see if they could find the guy. Now that they have, what's the play here? Just say screw him and have his insurance pay whatever the estimate is? Deal with him directly? Guy seemed like a hot head when he got out of his car. Obviously shady with the hit and run. I'd assume the body damage estimate would be somewhere between $500-$1500. May have eff'ed up the alignment too.
How could dealing with him directly after what he pulled even be an option? Go through insurance.

I have not spoken with the guy.
I might have missed something ... but I don't see an indication in this thread that you, yourself, even have the other guy's insurance info at all. Is that correct?

I am assuming that your insurance company, however, DOES have the other guy's insurance info.

Guy already tried to bolt.  Don't let him off the hook.  I fell for this when some broad ran over my fence and mailbox.  Said she'd pay outside of insurance.  I was never able to get a hold of her again.  I already was planning on changing my mailbox and I hated that broken down fence, so I eventually stopped hounding her.

I might have missed something ... but I don't see an indication in this thread that you, yourself, even have the other guy's insurance info at all. Is that correct?

I am assuming that your insurance company, however, DOES have the other guy's insurance info.
Correct.

Tell her you don't care how she gets the money from him, but she is responsible for getting the money from him.

I do not have collision insurance, only liability. Apparently this complicates things.
How so?  Either your insurance will get the money for the estimated repairs or they wont.  If they will then let them do it.  I wouldn't trust anything the guy said, I wouldn't want to go through the extra hassles to make sure his check won't bounce or there won't be some other kind of excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread