What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

7.3 Earthquake in Jamaica (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I got the report of it but haven't heard anything.

That's pretty huge for this side of the world.  Not exactly sure of the exact spot.  Two alerts said Jamaica and one said "Cuba region."

Now it says 7.7.  That's scary since I believe a tsunami can occur around 7.5 or higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Tsunami alerts yet, but that page still doesn't show the earthquake listed.  I would think at this point, a warning might be too late if there was one. 

Seismologist tweeted this:

Dr. Lucy Jones
@DrLucyJones
The M7.7 Jamaican quake produced sideways motion on the fault, so the tsunami risk is low. (Seafloor should move up to make tsunami.) But if I'm ever at the beach and feel strong shaking, I move to high ground. Downside is I lose a day at the beach. The upside could be my life.

Heading to Cozumel Ina couple weeks...that's right nearby too. 

Hopefully just contained out at sea with minimal to no damage on land and no tsunami whammies

Went looking for it on CNN...I cant see anything but Trump impeachment news in 2 Billion point font

Jesus
go to Fox, they definitely won't be covering anything Trump related

maybe not the earthquake either

but you can almost be certain whatever blonde talking head they have on the air will be shouting invectives. probably about how gay kids can sell cookies near churches or something.

Sounds like Cuba is saying no immediate reports of damage.

I feel like a 7.7 earthquake off the coast of 2 third world countries that doesn't cause any damage would be a miracle.

Wow.  As someone who doesn't go into the PSF, I had no idea criticizing CNN would turn this into a political thread.  

Can we just get back to the earthquake and tsunami?  
All I did was make an observation.  No comment whatsoever about whether CNN should be doing what they are doing.
Holy media craziness batman. 

Moving on.  Wow

My friend works in downtown Miami, he said he suddenly felt "woozy" and needed to sit down.  They just evacuated his building.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far off the coast was the Japan tsunami several years ago?
It's more about the type of movement than distance. As somebody else said, big upshift of earth underwater pushes the water into a tidal wave- like Japan and Indonesia/etc. I think they said this was lateral, so less threat. 

It's more about the type of movement than distance. As somebody else said, big upshift of earth underwater pushes the water into a tidal wave- like Japan and Indonesia/etc. I think they said this was lateral, so less threat. 
Yup.  Distance just adds time.  An earthquake off the coast of Japan can cause a tsunami in California.  It'll take an hour or so to get there.  

not to sound panicky or anything but weren't the early reports of the disastrous Christmas tsunami similar "big earthquake, no damage".

followed by "oops... lots of damage" not long after?

Yup.  Distance just adds time.  An earthquake off the coast of Japan can cause a tsunami in California.  It'll take an hour or so to get there.  
Yeah...for sure. And size. but that's a different issue than vertical or lateral movement, which iirc is the main component

not to sound panicky or anything but weren't the early reports of the disastrous Christmas tsunami similar "big earthquake, no damage".

followed by "oops... lots of damage" not long after?
I think most of the damage for that one was from the tsunami.  So that would make sense.  A lot of that was that there were no reports of damage, mainly because everyone was underwater.  Here, there are actual reports of feeling it but not much actual damage.

Users who are viewing this thread