What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One QB for Super Bowl 54 (1 Viewer)

Your top choice for QB for one game this Sunday

• Mahomes

Votes: 45 60.0%
  • Wilson

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Rodgers

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Brees

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Jackson

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Brady

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Jimmy G

• Phillip River lol

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
As a 49ers' fan, I keep hearing about how unstoppable Mahomes is from everyone. My response consistently is that I'm happy he isn't Russell Wilson. To me, in this moment right now, if I had one QB to play one game on Sunday, Wilson would be my top guy. Assume I'm in the minority, so the poll is to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocked anyone would take Jackson or 2020 Brady over Wilson. 

Excluding Brady, feel like people are heavily discounting experience. 

Give me Russ with that crew in KC all day. 

I love the rosy view everyone has on Mahomes though for this game... The herd usually is wrong, I'd like this poll to be like 90% Mahomes. 
I sort of instantly went with Mahomes while skimming the OP and choices. I just reflexively thought, "that's my guy" right away. But Russell is both in his prime and has won a Super Bowl. His deep accuracy is apparently second-to-none per the Football Outsiders Deep Ball Accuracy Project Report. He's got great pocket awareness and is as mobile as Mahomes...

I dunno. Give me either. 

I sort of instantly went with Mahomes while skimming the OP and choices. I just reflexively thought, "that's my guy" right away. But Russell is both in his prime and has won a Super Bowl. His deep accuracy is apparently second-to-none per the Football Outsiders Deep Ball Accuracy Project Report. He's got great pocket awareness and is as mobile as Mahomes...

I dunno. Give me either. 
Experience matters, people always heavily discount it too (wrongly)... Wilson, right now in his prime, is the guy you'd want under center. They went into Seattle and won a nail biter against him, that gives me huge confidence. 

Terrified what he is going to do with Metcalf next year as a Niners fan.

Its hard to separate out the player from the team as well.  Obviously throwing Jackson on KC would be a bit of a disaster.  He is dominant because of the offense that was built around him so just plucking him and putting him a situation without having the same offense really knocks him down (not that I would pick him....just giving an example where team/context matters).  So is this taking a QB and putting them on KC and their offense or taking the QB with their own offense for one game?  That context matters to some extent. 

Mahomes is a perfect fit for the offense he is in.   Wilson, Rodgers, and Brees all would probably succeed in the KC offense so just plucking them and putting them in Mahomes place probably isn't a detriment. 

I guess I just stay with the offense that is clicking right now and roll with Mahomes.  Why change things up?

Its hard to separate out the player from the team as well.  Obviously throwing Jackson on KC would be a bit of a disaster.  He is dominant because of the offense that was built around him so just plucking him and putting him a situation without having the same offense really knocks him down (not that I would pick him....just giving an example where team/context matters).  So is this taking a QB and putting them on KC and their offense or taking the QB with their own offense for one game?  That context matters to some extent. 

Mahomes is a perfect fit for the offense he is in.   Wilson, Rodgers, and Brees all would probably succeed in the KC offense so just plucking them and putting them in Mahomes place probably isn't a detriment. 

I guess I just stay with the offense that is clicking right now and roll with Mahomes.  Why change things up?
In this hypothetical, you're taking the QB and plugging them where they are comfortable in their own system.

Experience matters, people always heavily discount it too (wrongly)... Wilson, right now in his prime, is the guy you'd want under center. They went into Seattle and won a nail biter against him, that gives me huge confidence. 

Terrified what he is going to do with Metcalf next year as a Niners fan.
feels like as a niner fan you are trying to make yourself feel better about something....as much as you are tired of hearing about Mahomes....it goes the same way with the "vaunted 85 bears".... I mean the SF defense and that front line and running game.....etc....it goes both ways and we will find out on Sunday...

as far as Russ goes....they had two chances in week 16 and 17 (at home nonetheless)....to lock up HFA in playoffs and he lost both of them....would have been huge for them....got lucky to play a decimated PHI team...and then got beat by GB....so not exactly clutch......I can see why you are hanging on his "experience" as a lifeline...his experience didn't mean much in those three late season losses...but quite honestly Mahomes has been better.....and he is only in his second year....the moment is not too big for him....it took the GOAT, a phantom hit to Brady's head, an offsides penalty, a coin flip, and a crappy Chiefs run defense to keep Mahomes out of the SB in what was basically his "rookie year"....and they probably would have destroyed the Rams even with the crappy defense....

Mahomes all day and twice this Sunday.... :banned:

feels like as a niner fan you are trying to make yourself feel better about something....
As a 49ers fan I have seen enough Wilson to know that when he scrambles, even during times when he has a mediocre receiving core he will burn you deep. I also know playing the guy twice this season is excellent prep for Mahomes. 

Also, nobody in the history of the NFL is better at avoiding contact than Wilson, he's just so smooth. He scares me more than anyone, we'll see. 

ETA: and that final loss of his was a brilliant comeback that fell short by about an inch. He got the ball to his guy with a chance to win the game, Hollister didn't make the play, Greenlaw did, but Wilson put him in a position to get there. 

As a 49ers fan I have seen enough Wilson to know that when he scrambles, even during times when he has a mediocre receiving core he will burn you deep. I also know playing the guy twice this season is excellent prep for Mahomes. 

Also, nobody in the history of the NFL is better at avoiding contact than Wilson, he's just so smooth. He scares me more than anyone, we'll see. 
like I said in 3 of the 4 biggest games of their year...he lost down the stretch......he may scare you... but you are kidding yourself if any QB scares anybody more than Mahomes right now...

like I said in 3 of the 4 biggest games of their year...he lost down the stretch......he may scare you... but you are kidding yourself if any QB scares anybody more than Mahomes right now...
Def not kidding myself. Mahomes is obviously great, and I feel him and Wilson are kinda interchangeable. Wilson to me still is extremely underrated. Experience matters and I feel this defense is like nothing Mahomes has seen before; on the big stage, for this one game, give me Wilson. Their defensive front is as good as any we've seen in a very long time, and Mahomes has never seen anything like it. They rush 4, the back 7 give the front 4 an extra second and it creates chaos. I'm scared of Mahomes, but the 49ers have handled Brees, Wilson (1-1), Rodgers (twice), & contained Jackson. 

I think the people kidding themselves right now are the ones discounting experience and this defense with the notion that Mahomes is going to throw for 500 and 5 Sunday. 

ETA:

I was rooting so hard for Green Bay when they played Seattle.

Def not kidding myself. Mahomes is obviously great, and I feel him and Wilson are kinda interchangeable. Wilson to me still is extremely underrated. Experience matters and I feel this defense is like nothing Mahomes has seen before; on the big stage, for this one game, give me Wilson. Their defensive front is as good as any we've seen in a very long time, and Mahomes has never seen anything like it. They rush 4, the back 7 give the front 4 an extra second and it creates chaos. I'm scared of Mahomes, but the 49ers have handled Brees, Wilson (1-1), Rodgers (twice), & contained Jackson. 

I think the people kidding themselves right now are the ones discounting experience and this defense with the notion that Mahomes is going to throw for 500 and 5 Sunday. 

ETA:

I was rooting so hard for Green Bay when they played Seattle.
not sure who is predicting 500/5....not sure where you get that from.....lol....send me a link if you have one from somebody besides some dude in KC living in his parents basement....I realize that comment was for some type of dramatic affect cause I don't think one person has said anything like that besides a basement dude...

the debate and question isn't really about the SF defense and how great they are...I took it as who do want as your QB on Sunday.....and as you correctly predicted, you are in the minority...

and the slant you are dropping here is basically "what QB would you want against the niners on Sunday".....not what QB would you want in general for the SB.....so not really sure where you are trying to go with the Russ angle.....but I think most people would take Mahomes right now in any game, whether its week 6 or the SB....you went from "i'm just glad he is not Wilson" to now they are interchangeable....lol....I'd be willing to bet 53 out of 53 niners would rather be playing Wilson Sunday....

ETA: and that final loss of his was a brilliant comeback that fell short by about an inch. He got the ball to his guy with a chance to win the game, Hollister didn't make the play, Greenlaw did, but Wilson put him in a position to get there. 
Mahomes makes throws that Wilson simply cannot make.

Look, Mahomes and the Chiefs may get beat on Sunday. San Fran is a seriously good team top to bottom. It will take everything the Chiefs have to win this game.  But give me Mahomes all day. The dude is just special.

However it turns out I'm proud of the Chiefs for being there - finally. 

If you don't choose Mahomes, show your work. Im not sure how this is even close. Mahomes is basically a mobile Marino or a more mobile Rodgers. He might be the best player in all of football, regardless of position. 

If the Chiefs lose this game it will be because of defense, either the Chiefs,  49ers or both. 

Mahomes makes throws that Wilson simply cannot make.

Look, Mahomes and the Chiefs may get beat on Sunday. San Fran is a seriously good team top to bottom. It will take everything the Chiefs have to win this game.  But give me Mahomes all day. The dude is just special.

However it turns out I'm proud of the Chiefs for being there - finally. 
I was getting ready to type something similar to this...I believe Mahomes can do pretty much everything Wilson can do....I don't think you can say the opposite....

I get it.....some like Wilson's "experience"....but IMO I don't think the gap is really that far or worth as much as some may want to put on it.....Mahomes is a different cat.....yeah Wilson has been to a couple SB, but I don't think that really matters when comparing him to Mahomes.....at least I don't give it as much credit as fantasycurse42 does...Mahomes has played in some really high profile games....a bunch against the GOAT......he is 3-1 in the playoffs with his only loss coming to the GOAT....and he actually kinda had him beat in that one in many ways....should have a SB under his belt already possibly....the narrative to this debate would probably be a little different had Ford not been offsides, etc....actually it wouldn't be different it would just be even more swayed in Mahomes favor then the poll indicates.....should be a fun Sunday...

hit me that the title of thread says for SB 54....

QB I would want against the niners......Mahomes

QB I would want against the Chiefs.....Mahomes

I get the arguments for Wilson, and if you took away my choice and assigned me him, or even Brady, I would still feel pretty confident (unless Brady was stuck with his 2019 weapons).

But the fact is that Mahomes has been in the league for two years, and I have yet to see any team figure him out. Aside from the games where he was hurt/limited, the only times the Chiefs have lost when he was on the field is when teams beat him in spite of his performance (eg, Pats last year). Closest any team has come to "solving" the KC offense was Detroit this season, and even there, he beat them with his legs.

Could the Niners be the ones who finally corral him? Sure, anything's possible, and they have the defense that could pull it off. I also wouldn't be shocked if they pulled off a Saints-stye 48-46 game where Jimmy G manages to go toe-to-toe with him. But if you ask me which QB is most likely to dominate in one game, smart money is on Mahomes.

Honestly, 3-1 Mahomes to Wilson ration is surprising. I thought it would be closer to 5 or 6 to 1. 

Rodgers without a single vote... LOVE IT!

Wilson because he knows this defense, and he's mobile, and smart.  This is the kind of defense that beats Tom Brady, even in his prime......gimme Russ

fantasycurse42 said:

I love the rosy view everyone has on Mahomes though for this game... The herd usually is wrong, I'd like this poll to be like 90% Mahomes. 
Russ is great so by no means is this a knock on him.  But did the lack of "experience" slow Mahomes down in his first 4 career playoff games (I know small sample size)?  There is nothing about his regular season or postseason history that would make me even think to take anyone over him in a one game situation.  Nothing at all.  BTW his playoff stats have been better than Wilson's (again I know small sample size but we can only go by the information that we have at this point).  

ETA - I mean do we really believe that this guy is going to just choke all of a sudden?

I get the arguments for Wilson, and if you took away my choice and assigned me him, or even Brady, I would still feel pretty confident (unless Brady was stuck with his 2019 weapons).

But the fact is that Mahomes has been in the league for two years, and I have yet to see any team figure him out. Aside from the games where he was hurt/limited, the only times the Chiefs have lost when he was on the field is when teams beat him in spite of his performance (eg, Pats last year). Closest any team has come to "solving" the KC offense was Detroit this season, and even there, he beat them with his legs.

Could the Niners be the ones who finally corral him? Sure, anything's possible, and they have the defense that could pull it off. I also wouldn't be shocked if they pulled off a Saints-stye 48-46 game where Jimmy G manages to go toe-to-toe with him. But if you ask me which QB is most likely to dominate in one game, smart money is on Mahomes.
Exactly.  In Mahomes ENTIRE regular season and playoff career, he has  maybe had one below average game.  ONE!  That's incredible and I'm guessing unprecedented.  He's the best in the league and will be for the foreseeable future.  

fantasycurse42 said:

They're super close. But yeah, give Wilson just Hill and Kelce and the Seahawks would have been the best team in the league, by quite a bit I think. 

Do you really think the teams haven't "figured him out"? Or is it possible he's just that good?

It's a different position of course but it's similar to Michael Thomas. Teams can know what Mahomes does, and he still executes better. He's not one dimensional. 

Russ is great so by no means is this a knock on him.  But did the lack of "experience" slow Mahomes down in his first 4 career playoff games (I know small sample size)?  There is nothing about his regular season or postseason history that would make me even think to take anyone over him in a one game situation.  Nothing at all.  BTW his playoff stats have been better than Wilson's (again I know small sample size but we can only go by the information that we have at this point).  

ETA - I mean do we really believe that this guy is going to just choke all of a sudden?
How bout, Russ does what he does with less talent around him?  The fallout from the the SB runs, and Russ is the constant.....that Hawks team this season was willed to where they got by Russ

Pat is going to take a huge dump on the 49ers Defense and then send them a bill for cleaning his shoes after he steps in it.

naw, in reality 30-27 Chiefs, tight epic game

How bout, Russ does what he does with less talent around him?  The fallout from the the SB runs, and Russ is the constant.....that Hawks team this season was willed to where they got by Russ
Again, I agree that Wilson is a great QB and the gap is really close.  I just think Mahomes is better.  And I'm not buying into the lack of experience being a factor.  In his 4 playoff games thus far, Mahomes has looked good to great.  Also, he appears to have all the maturity/leadership traits to remain a great QB (just like Wilson does).

Again, I agree that Wilson is a great QB and the gap is really close.  I just think Mahomes is better.  And I'm not buying into the lack of experience being a factor.  In his 4 playoff games thus far, Mahomes has looked good to great.  Also, he appears to have all the maturity/leadership traits to remain a great QB (just like Wilson does).
Yea, he's great.  Hes gonna have his biggest test Sunday.  Part of my assessment of taking Russ for this specific game is based on him knowing the 9ers.

I'll be rooting for Mahomes and Co......they better not start slow like they've been doing, against this D.

Yea, he's great.  Hes gonna have his biggest test Sunday.  Part of my assessment of taking Russ for this specific game is based on him knowing the 9ers.

I'll be rooting for Mahomes and Co......they better not start slow like they've been doing, against this D.
that's a fair point.  The Niners know Russ as well so that could work both ways.  I would be absolutely shocked if Mahomes has a bad game (even though I agree it will probably be the toughest defense he's ever faced).  

They're super close. But yeah, give Wilson just Hill and Kelce and the Seahawks would have been the best team in the league, by quite a bit I think. 
I think Andy Reid is a big part of the difference in situations too. 

The thing that annoys me is that when ppl talk about Garoppolo's success, it's because of Shanahan's system... but when they talk about Mahomes, there's no mention of Reid's system being a factor. 

Reid was able to make ALEX FRIGGIN' SMITH a viable FF starter. McNabb was a star under Reid, when he left the system he was garbage. I get that Mahomes has drool-worthy highlight clips, but shouldn't the same caveat be given to him that he is in perhaps the most QB-friendly offensive system in the NFL?

The thing that annoys me is that when ppl talk about Garoppolo's success, it's because of Shanahan's system... but when they talk about Mahomes, there's no mention of Reid's system being a factor. 

Reid was able to make ALEX FRIGGIN' SMITH a viable FF starter. McNabb was a star under Reid, when he left the system he was garbage. I get that Mahomes has drool-worthy highlight clips, but shouldn't the same caveat be given to him that he is in perhaps the most QB-friendly offensive system in the NFL?
The Reid narrative has been mentioned a ton contributing to Mahomes early success.......but the kid being special on his own in terms of skill set is undeniable.....

Users who are viewing this thread