What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Voice in your Head (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Like the person who wrote this article, I was unaware that there are people in this world who don't have a voice inside their head.  I can't even comprehend how that works.

Anyone here not have a voice inside their head?

LINK

Never thought all people didn't have this, though I do know some people have it more severely than others.  My youngest, when he was 8 or 10, would come into the room and start talking about something random and asking questions.  We figured out that he was having a conversation in his head and didn't realize we weren't a part of it.

My favorite part of the article:

One person even mentioned that when they do voice overs in movies of people’s thoughts, they “wished that it was real.”
Crazy.

Interesting, I most definitely have an inner voice that speaks just as I speak all the time. It never stops really. 

It’s actually impossible to imagine not having the inner dialogue. I would love to see testing on these types of people. Are there IQ differences? Differences in brain development? Are certain types much more artistic? Do those without the voice struggle to read?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s actually impossible to imagine not having the inner dialogue. I would love to see testing on these types of people. Are there IQ differences? Differences in brain development? Are certain types much more artistic? Do those without the voice struggle to read?
Do they have to actually read out loud in a quiet voice?

the voice in my head has a voice in his head... things get fun sometimes. 
this is me. i had to build em a house.

of course, i have a story about this - my favorite adult moment with my baby sister. sis & i are very different and she was very timid growing up. i would make up characters which embodied whatever she was afraid of in order to take it down a peg and help her deal widdit. one thing i noticed about the characters is that it felt like they sprung up wholecloth - i knew exactly where they were going as soon as they occurred to me. this helped alot when i got my comedy show on radio - boiling down long improvs was how we did most of the writing.

me & sis grew up without much in common, kept only loose contact thru the decades. when we did talk, they were long conversations and she would usually want to revisit one or another of my characters or elicit a new one if she was blue. once when i visited, i started doing the inner monologue of her very nervous chihuahua dog just for grins and, after the pet died, she would call me just to "talk" to Cisco again.

sis never married. in her early twenties, she fell in love with an older, married man and they had a 25yr affair. when her beau's wife died, she assumed that her day had finally come - tho it was too late to start a family. that wasn't the case - the dood immediately started hunting for a new slave to keep the homefront and told sis, "this wont stop our Mondays & Thursdays, though". sis found the heartbroken courage to break up with him.

my parents call me worried about sis, said she was so inconsolable they didn't know if she might do something. i called her, found her almost entirely inarticulate with pain, knew i had to send someone special to the rescue. what my mind conceived was almost miraculous. out of my mouth came the only lady more pitiful than my sister at that moment. addled, agoraphobic, criminally lonely, all she had beside her fears to keep away the jet nether of the void was the mad facts she'd accumulated from gossip mags and happytalk shows and the thrill of buying any ol' thing she wanted on mail order (Amazon hadn't quite taken over yet). for some reason, this character had always just bought a new pair of pink slippers to tell sis about when she called, so much so that sis called her the Pink Lady. it did indeed seem to get sis out of her funk and i called her every few days as Pink Lady til the fog lifted. to this day, in person or on the phone, sis regularly asks after "her".

i moved back east, to a carriage house on my best friend's property outside Boston, not long after the Pink Lady thing. sis lived about 20 minutes away and invited me, my pal & his young wife over for dinner soonafter, and my pal's wife quickly returned the favor. the wife liked to have bigtable dinner parties so there were their social friends, including the unofficial "mayor" of the neighborhood, a blustery well-to-do guy who was a strong presence on local talk radio. he had already commented quite often on how vociferously i played with my host's 4yo son in the yard, on how odd it was to watch a 60yo, 300+lb man swordfighting a toddler while wearing a bathrobe with epaulets and sandbucket helmet.

the dinner was pleasant & cordial, my shy sis contributing as little as possible. i can't remember how the subject came up, but somebody mentioned pink slippers. that gave sis an opening to chime in.

"one of my brother's personalities wears pink slippers"

if you look up "gobsmacked" in the dictionary, i'm guessing you'll see a picture of the people at that dinner table. from that day, the "mayor" talked to me like Mel Torme to Kramer, the other neighbors would point & talk as i passed, even my hostess has looked at me mostly bemusedly ever since. i dont laugh unsolicited very often, but i been giggling the entire time i've spent writing this up, thinking about em. don't know if it translates but, there you go...

It's a weird concept.  What about people who have been deaf since birth?  Is their inner monologue the printed word?  sign language?

When I'm reading, I don't hear my voice.  A slightly different one.

I try to sleep
They're wide awake
They won't let me alone
They don't get paid to take vacations
Or let me alone
They spy on me
I try to hide
They won't let me alone
They persecute me
They're the judge and jury all in one

so you voice people like hear your own voice?

I always though voice in your head just meant conscience...

:oldunsure:

weirdos

So does the voice in your head have a voice in their head?

im like bizzaro sheik..... i never thought it was an actual "thing"... unless you are a crazy person hearing voices...

That was one of the crazy parts of the article: That neither group realized there was another group.
That's because the people with the voice in their head think they are crazy, so they probably don't talk about it.  Ironically, the people without a voice in their head turns out to be the crazy ones.

Right?  How do they manage read anything?

Interesting concept. I suspect this of my girlfriend after reading that Helen Keller was feral and had "nothing but urges and no way to plan ahead or comprehend existence." Definitely could picture my girl as being feral as a child. Hell. Possibly still yet just well adapted. Anyway, it's things like these that must remind us why we have to keep an open mind about others. And not judge them for being different. Because this little thing here - X versus Y - is very easy for us to grasp. Yet no one did or does. It never occurred to anyone on either side that another may experience life differently inside their heads. Now imagine more complex, complicated anomalies among people. I guarantee you that this article illustrates a very simple concept. Most likely there are still differences among us out there a million times more complex that we're all just walking around oblivious to every day. Now just imagine how much we'd all have to learn if we tended to embrace differences rather than shun them.. if we could see both sides of this coin. If we could see every side of every coin. It just takes an open mind and a demeanor that's accepting of others. As humans we already harbor severely remedial sensory perception, but just imagine the things we would be able to perceive if we simply cared enough to learn how.

Yes, but it's my own voice. It's not like it's someone else's voice. That would be loco.
I don't hear my own voice.  I hear something a little different.    Maybe it is my voice, because when I talk and hear myself, I don't hear it the same as when I've played it back on something like my voicemail greeting.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I don't hear my own voice.  I hear something a little different.    Maybe it is my voice, because when I talk and hear myself, I don't hear it the same as when I've played it back on something like my voicemail greeting.  
The voice in your head is the bone conduction one?  Weird.  I don't think mine sounds like anyone.  I'm just glad it doesn't sound like Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread