What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Voice in your Head (3 Viewers)

I'm curious to see how this adds to the discussion:

"Are you a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 in this apple visualization exercise?"

1 here.
Allow me to use this to take an informal poll. i've long thought that voice-in-the-head, talk-w-the-hands and drive-to-work-without-paying-attention are interconnected and indicate that we each have a Caliban, a task-related 2nd self. Jung called it the Shadow, but also animated it with sinister implication and subconscious baggage, as Freud did his bugaboos. I believe it to be the creature within which arose from us as animals to ask "fight or flight" and has become the translator of our lower brain functions.

Anyway, i'm curious to see the relationship between the visual acuity and volatilty of the voice and gesticulation levels, so....

1) how clear are your visualizations? 1=clearest- to-5=vaguest

2) how volatile is the voice in your head? 1=loudest-to-5=calmest (0 if you dont have one)

3) how much do you gesticulate? 1=waviest-to-5=stillest

ETA: i am a 3-2(only because i do exercises to keep it from being a 1)-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Allow me to use this to take an informal poll. i've long thought that voice-in-the-head, talk-w-the-hands and drive-to-work-without-paying-attention are interconnected and indicate that we each have a Caliban, a task-related 2nd self. Jung called it the Shadow, but also animated it with sinister implication and subconscious baggage, as Freud did his bugaboos. I believe it to be the creature within which arose from us as animals to ask "fight or flight" and has become the translator of our lower brain functions.

Anyway, i'm curious to see the relationship between the visual acuity and volatilty of the voice and gesticulation levels, so....

2) how volatile is the voice in your head? 1=loudest-to-5=calmest (0 if you dont have one)

1-1-1

5.  Pure blackness
Me as well.  Saw a youtube video this weekend in which a woman said that she had no internal monologue and that she couldn't visualize her apartment either.  Her boyfriend and roomate was the opposite on both counts.  I also have a moderate for of face blindness (as does my father), so the lack of visualization is not a surprise to me.  The fact that some have an internal monologue still surprises me.  I also have ALOT of self-confidence and thought that was due to being a successful student as a child and then businessman as an adult...but maybe the latter at least is as much chicken as it is egg.  My wife has an internal voice that beats her up all day long.  Me...nothing.

5-0-2

also, if participants want to list any possible synesthetics in their thought processes. synesthesia is traditionally considered seeing colors in music, but i extend it to include color-coding or letter-shaping of the +/- attributes of words & concepts

2-2-2

also, if participants want to list any possible synesthetics in their thought processes. synesthesia is traditionally considered seeing colors in music, but i extend it to include color-coding or letter-shaping of the +/- attributes of words & concepts

Can we go negative?  Can't even envision how this could work.

Yeah. 

This is me. 

I've been kinda reading this thread, but my experience is so infused with geometric/colorful/numericic aspects, that it is frustrating to describe in words. . 

When I read or write, I have that voice; but a larger portion of my awereness is synesthetic.

I also often count integers (1,2,3,4,etc.) with that voice in the background, while the abstractions do their thing. 

One similarity (with mild difference) that I can note, is that I experience a 3rd pole in addition to +/-.

We discussed it b4, but I wanted to vouch for ya. 

More words to describe it are incredibly difficult to formulate. 

Good discussion. 

1) it fluctuates - I've been diagnosed bi-polar, so "cycles" have always been present. 

2) fluctuates also, but has trended to the more calm side over the years. 

3) man, so sorry to be a crappy data point, but... Fluctuates. As a kid, I would literally vibrate my entire body at times. Better control now. 

Great questions.....

5- Pure blackness

4- my voice feels like it’s very distant and vague most times and I feel like I conceptualize more then not.  But I do sometimes fall into patterns of sleep where I can’t shut down.  It’s becomes a loud consent often repetitive voice mixed with visualizations.  It can keep me up all night sometimes yet goes away completely once I’m out of bed and awake.  I’ve resorted to very concentrated breathing and counting exercises over the past few years with varying degrees of success. This doesn’t happen often, maybe 3/4 times a year but often lasts for a few nights. 

3- I’m not super animated in my movements

Me as well.  Saw a youtube video this weekend in which a woman said that she had no internal monologue and that she couldn't visualize her apartment either.  Her boyfriend and roomate was the opposite on both counts.  I also have a moderate for of face blindness (as does my father), so the lack of visualization is not a surprise to me.  The fact that some have an internal monologue still surprises me.  I also have ALOT of self-confidence and thought that was due to being a successful student as a child and then businessman as an adult...but maybe the latter at least is as much chicken as it is egg.  My wife has an internal voice that beats her up all day long.  Me...nothing.
Prosopagnosia. I believe I have a mild form of this too. I can meet someone a bunch of times and still not necessarily recognize them later.  I wonder if it’s all related because we sound similar. 

1-1-1

I’m assuming the visualization aspect relates to the Apple question. If it’s the “wife says she wants to rearrange the living room” then my answer would be 4-1-1.

Prosopagnosia. I believe I have a mild form of this too. I can meet someone a bunch of times and still not necessarily recognize them later.  I wonder if it’s all related because we sound similar. 
No because i feel you and I are similar (based on this thread) but I can recognize a face of a person I may have seen once or twice.  It might take me a while to put the pieces together but - I can pull out oh you used to work the the ice cream store when we first moved.....   Now names...I am the suxor

Let me ask this question in here.   I'm not sure if I'm just lazy, its a pet peeve, or if its really "a thing".

If I get text that has abbreviations (like twitter) for words - like u for (you) etc... I really have trouble "putting them together" some times or i just wont care to try.

Certain people post styles also cause me to just skip their post for the most part. Its nothing personal as I a "know" they are decent people but I just can't get past certain "self hang ups"

I just wonder if the "lack of dialogue"  contribute to that  - or I'm just an 8/80 year old 

Yeah, I think I read that if you have one (i.e. no internal monologue) you are much more likely to have another (Prosopagnosia or Aphantasia) than the general public.  EVERYONE I meet I lead with "great to see you" as far, far too many of my previous "nice to meet you"s have been returned with "we met xx weeks/months ago."  Makes networking a task fraught with difficulty as I spend far too much time trying to piece together if and how I know someone and NOT enough time listening to what they are saying.

3-2-4

My family makes fun of me for being deaf because anytime we load up into my vehicle, the radio is super loud and I have to jump to turn it down.  Since this thread I have paid attention and realized that if I am driving and do not have music playing I know well enough to sign along with (and loud enough to drown out my terrible voice) my inner monologue goes 1000 mph.  Loud music is my coping mechanism to shut it off when I'm alone.

1 - using the apple test, I could see various apples (granny smith, red delicious, gala...)

2 - it's not loud, but constant.  i can associate the voice with different people, depending upon the conversation happening in my head.  they are always the opposing view point.

2 - I'm not in constant movement when I talk, but I can't stand/sit still either.  My hands tend to move, even if it's fidgeting with something.

One other things is I have ADHD.  Not just ADD, but ADHD.  They say that the H usually goes away when you get older, but not for me.  I wonder if being a 1-1-1 and ADHD go hand in hand. 

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
i've got what must be the opposite of this.

if i see a face once i can recognize them years later in totally out of context situations & can usually tie back to where i first saw/met them. can't always recall names (maybe it was never mentioned to me) but a face, always.

so it will happen that we're out somewhere & i'll see a face from 30 years ago, then my mind gets tied up trying to place them and i'll ditch what i was doing in the moment until it's settled.. or keep coming back to ID the face until it's resolved.

5-2-3

if i see a face once i can recognize them years later in totally out of context situations & can usually tie back to where i first saw/met them. can't always recall names (maybe it was never mentioned to me) but a face, always.

so it will happen that we're out somewhere & i'll see a face from 30 years ago, then my mind gets tied up trying to place them and i'll ditch what i was doing in the moment until it's settled.. or keep coming back to ID the face until it's resolved.
I'm a face guy, too.  My wife always gets frustrated with me because when we meet someone or see someone on TV, I'll go, "They remind me of someone."  Then I'll slowly start going through the "database" in my head to try to figure out who they remind me of.  As I've gotten older, it's harder to remember who it is, but I still can do it.  But because I can't remember names, I'll be like, "They were in a movie... maybe a comedy...  there was a scene where they were riding a boat on a river... "  My wife hates this.  But I'm seeing the visual clues in my head and I can picture the person, but I can't remember names. 

I'm a face guy, too.  My wife always gets frustrated with me because when we meet someone or see someone on TV, I'll go, "They remind me of someone."  Then I'll slowly start going through the "database" in my head to try to figure out who they remind me of.  As I've gotten older, it's harder to remember who it is, but I still can do it.  But because I can't remember names, I'll be like, "They were in a movie... maybe a comedy...  there was a scene where they were riding a boat on a river... "  My wife hates this.  But I'm seeing the visual clues in my head and I can picture the person, but I can't remember names. 
same

i'll see a woman out in public, stare at her trying to sort out where i know here from.. and my wife will say "why are you staring at her?? :hot:   do you think she's hot?? because she's fake"

and i'm like "huh? was i? i know her from somewhere and i can't place it..."

which typically leads to her believing that i dated this random woman who i finally recall having served a beer 23 years ago at a hockey game. and i only remember because she put her kid on the counter and i gave him a free bag of chips to calm his anxiety.

Also, I think everyone reminds me of someone else.  50% of the time when I finally give the name, my wife will go, "Oh yeah.  I totally see that."  And the other 50%, she's like, "What?  No way."  But in my mind, I'm seeing the things that remind me of the other person.  Sometimes I'll have to say, "Not so much the nose, but her ears, eyes and chin look just like..."  Sometimes this persuades her, but not always.  I just think I see faces different than she (or most normal people?) do.

#### man, we're so alike I am wondering if I have ADHD now.  I've always kinda wondered, but never did anything about it.  :oldunsure:  

1-1-1

I’m assuming the visualization aspect relates to the Apple question. If it’s the “wife says she wants to rearrange the living room” then my answer would be 4-1-1.
Mine would be 9-1-1.

Ha!

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned

1, 5, 5

No seeing colors in music or color-coding / letter-shaping.

I'm a face-guy (recognize faces w/o context).

Yeah, I think I read that if you have one (i.e. no internal monologue) you are much more likely to have another (Prosopagnosia or Aphantasia) than the general public.  EVERYONE I meet I lead with "great to see you" as far, far too many of my previous "nice to meet you"s have been returned with "we met xx weeks/months ago."  Makes networking a task fraught with difficulty as I spend far too much time trying to piece together if and how I know someone and NOT enough time listening to what they are saying.
Bingo. Totally my move too. 

Am very jealous of people like you.  Living with my mild form of face blindness means that I have inadvertently insulted dozens of people by not remembering them...deadly for networking.  Worse, I walk past close acquantances at the grocery store ALL THE TIME.  Over the last decade (am 51) I have made a point to share my disability more openly in the hopes of making people understand that my future behavior is both predictable and NOT personal.  

1-1-3

One problem I've always had that combines everything being talked about is I'll go out and when I introduce myself to someone, I'm always practicing how to say my name in my head.  My voice in my head is saying, "Hi, I'm Sheik"... "Hello, nice to meet you, I'm Sheik"..."Hey, Sheik"...  All of this is going on in my head while they are saying their name to me.  And then I finally introduce myself and realize I wasn't paying attention to what they said their name was.  

This is every single time.  Not like once in a while.  When I'm with my wife, as soon as we walk away from the person, she'll say, "His name was Steve."  :lol:

One problem I've always had that combines everything being talked about is I'll go out and when I introduce myself to someone, I'm always practicing how to say my name in my head.  My voice in my head is saying, "Hi, I'm Sheik"... "Hello, nice to meet you, I'm Sheik"..."Hey, Sheik"...  All of this is going on in my head while they are saying their name to me.  And then I finally introduce myself and realize I wasn't paying attention to what they said their name was.  

This is every single time.  Not like once in a while.  When I'm with my wife, as soon as we walk away from the person, she'll say, "His name was Steve."  :lol:
This makes me feel better. I’m not the only one I guess

Except sometimes it’s not me repeating what I’m going to say it’s me thinking “I wonder what time the Dodgers play tonight”

:oldunsure:

this reminds me of a tweet i saw on reddit some months back that must have been posted by an internal monologuer

it went something like "handed a customer a bowl of hot soup and planned to say 'here's your soup'. grabbed the bowl and it was burning hot! ####!  instead i shouted out #### YOUR SOUP!!!"

this reminds me of a tweet i saw on reddit some months back that must have been posted by an internal monologuer

it went something like "handed a customer a bowl of hot soup and planned to say 'here's your soup'. grabbed the bowl and it was burning hot! ####!  instead i shouted out #### YOUR SOUP!!!"
I meant to say please pass the butter but it came out "#####, you ruined my life"

So I just thought of something else interesting.  As I said before, when it comes to memory, I can see everything like a picture in my head.  Full detail and 4KHD in bright, beautiful colors.  If I think of any subject, it's easy to picture it in my head and do the work in my head.  

Except when it comes to numbers and math.  It's like my brain can't compute them.  It's weird, because if you give me a string of like 4 numbers, I'll forget three of them.  Doctor said I might have the equivalent of dyslexia but for numbers.  I find that fascinating, too.  But like if someone says their phone number, they'll be like "6794" and I'll repeat back "649...what was it again?"  It's extremely frustrating, especially since my memory is so good for everything else.  

TheIronSheik said:
So I just thought of something else interesting.  As I said before, when it comes to memory, I can see everything like a picture in my head.  Full detail and 4KHD in bright, beautiful colors.  If I think of any subject, it's easy to picture it in my head and do the work in my head.  

Except when it comes to numbers and math.  It's like my brain can't compute them.  It's weird, because if you give me a string of like 4 numbers, I'll forget three of them.  Doctor said I might have the equivalent of dyslexia but for numbers.  I find that fascinating, too.  But like if someone says their phone number, they'll be like "6794" and I'll repeat back "649...what was it again?"  It's extremely frustrating, especially since my memory is so good for everything else.  
I use to be super $$$ with numbers....   We would meet girls out at the bars and I would memorize their phone numbers if I didnt have something to write on.   I was so good that if a friend of mine met a girl he would bring the girl over and say "tell belljr your phone number, so i have it" - they would be all confused but sure enough I'd remember it.

I know my Drivers licens number, pretty close on my CC number and not because I sit and memorize it.

I'm not as good now as Im older but man - I was awesome with numbers

TheIronSheik said:

I'm not bad with numbers, and can still recall family phone numbers of deceased relatives from when I was a kid.  I also do math fairly quickly in my head.  For fun, I  sometimes draw the equation in the air like I was writing on a chalkboard.  I already knew the answer, but acting it out and even erasing it and starting over always made my kids laugh when they were younger.  I'll still do it at times now, as I've found it will help me focus if there is a lot of background activity/distractions.

Cowboysfan8 said:
This makes me feel better. I’m not the only one I guess

Except sometimes it’s not me repeating what I’m going to say it’s me thinking “I wonder what time the Dodgers play tonight”

:oldunsure:
So strange, this is me too yet my voice is saying “how in the f did the Dodgers beat out my Pads to get Betts!” 

TheIronSheik said:

The memory angle is fascinating and I’ve never tied it to the seeing pictures in my head but now I wonder.....  

I’ve always had the worse memory of anyone I’ve ever met. I remember almost nothing of my childhood, can’t remember any school teachers names, within the exception of my basketball coach who I had for multiple years, Etc etc.   I would say I remember 20% of  what “normal” people remember.  I’ve never before tied that to my inability to see things in my head before but I wonder if the two are tied together?   

The memory angle is fascinating and I’ve never tied it to the seeing pictures in my head but now I wonder.....  

I’ve always had the worse memory of anyone I’ve ever met. I remember almost nothing of my childhood, can’t remember any school teachers names, within the exception of my basketball coach who I had for multiple years, Etc etc.   I would say I remember 20% of  what “normal” people remember.  I’ve never before tied that to my inability to see things in my head before but I wonder if the two are tied together?   
Yeah, like if I want to remember a vacation I took back in 1995, I concentrate on one scene that stands out.  And I can see everything vividly.  If I can think of another scene that is close in time, I can see that vividly, then start to work from both separate memories to fill the gap.  It might be just remembering what a person said, or what they were wearing.  Or seeing a picture.  But I can do this over and over until finally I can remember entire events from beginning to end, with incredible detail.  

And apparently, when I do it, my eyes are darting back and forth.  An ex girlfriend once told me she thought I was putting on a show to make it seem dramatic.  But it's almost like my eyes are scanning over the picture that I'm seeing in my head, if that makes sense.  Almost like VR without the glasses.  A lot of times, if I move my hands around, that helps too.  Almost like I'm touching the memory.  I know it sounds weird, but like I said, my memory was something amazing when I was young.  

Oh man, this is me too. Awful memory.  I have a few flashes of certain memories of my childhood I remember, but that’s it.  Same goes for my twenties.  Righetti was like my memory of all the girls I dated as a younger man and all the things we went and did — I couldn’t even remember what vacations we went on or what I did during them.  One of our good friends in high school was like a computer, he forgot nothing, and he was effectively my memory of my high school years until we los touch.  Worst memory.  Really hinders me sometimes I think.  But I’m too lazy to do any of those memory exercises or do anything about it. 

Man, we are eerily similar. How are you at remembering dates/events?

I struggle to remember birthdays and anniversaries. When I am talking to people about stuff that happened, I have a hard time remembering when it was. Usually, I can pin it down to sometime between 1980 and 2005. Or, it was either last week or October.

But my memory for spoken word is uncanny good. I can usually quote movie lines verbatim after one viewing, even lengthy scenes. In college, I could recall an entire lecture in my head, including what was being written on the white board or slides, even though it wasn't a visual picture. 

Oh man, this is me too. Awful memory.  I have a few flashes of certain memories of my childhood I remember, but that’s it.  Same goes for my twenties.  Righetti was like my memory of all the girls I dated as a younger man and all the things we went and did — I couldn’t even remember what vacations we went on or what I did during them.  One of our good friends in high school was like a computer, he forgot nothing, and he was effectively my memory of my high school years until we los touch.  Worst memory.  Really hinders me sometimes I think.  But I’m too lazy to do any of those memory exercises or do anything about it. 
That person for me is my wife and man is that brutal, it pretty much guarantees she right about anything that happened beyond just a few weeks ago even if she actually is or not.  Lol.  

Man, we are eerily similar. How are you at remembering dates/events?

I struggle to remember birthdays and anniversaries. When I am talking to people about stuff that happened, I have a hard time remembering when it was. Usually, I can pin it down to sometime between 1980 and 2005. Or, it was either last week or October.

But my memory for spoken word is uncanny good. I can usually quote movie lines verbatim after one viewing, even lengthy scenes. In college, I could recall an entire lecture in my head, including what was being written on the white board or slides, even though it wasn't a visual picture. 
Yep sounds like we are exactly the same. I’ve always classified my learning style as Auditory.  I can remember details of TV shows or movies extremely well, specifically plot lines or character motives. I’m also a huge car guy and so I have an almost unlimited stream of car related data I remember.  

Users who are viewing this thread