What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone used CarMax to sell a car? (1 Viewer)

Tool

Footballguy
Had a relative pass away out of state and need to sell their car. Can't take it to CarMax now - will be at least  a couple months-  so figuring out how to approach this.

It's worth about 12K based on blue book private sale.  It's a 2013 Honda Accord.

Wondering about how much I can expect for cash sale.

I sold my car to them. Gave me a better deal than the dealership. Wasn’t private seller BB value though (lower).

Super easy process but I don’t think they will do it without physically looking at the car.

If you go in when it’s not busy it was 30 minutes for a quote and you have 1 week to turn the car in at that price.

Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but we've sold a CR-Vto Carmax directly and used their offer on a second CRV for a price match on a trade in (Tesla). Very easy and painless process to sell to them, if the value is what you're looking for. To determine that value, you'll have to have them appraise the car. It was better than other offers we received at each time.

Thanks trying to figure out a rough ballpark # might get on the car. Like is 10 K a reasonable expectation? or more or less?

I'm going to be in town at some point so can physically take it to Carmax when I'm there. The other option is to pay someone who has offered to try to sell it for me

Used their offer as leverage for trade in on a new car. Their offers are solid imo.
Somebody used their offer as leverage against my bid on a Nissan 350 Z. Wound up bidding against them and going over their price, which was still really low in the range of Kelly BB. They came out and looked at the guy's car and made him an offer. 

I sold my car to them. Gave me a better deal than the dealership. Wasn’t private seller BB value though (lower).

Super easy process but I don’t think they will do it without physically looking at the car.

If you go in when it’s not busy it was 30 minutes for a quote and you have 1 week to turn the car in at that price.
I've bought and sold several with them.  They've always given me nice deals.  The one time I just sold and didn't buy, they gave me much more than I thought I'd get.

Often it's wholesale. 

Their inspection process is ####. My Genesis was totally ####ed, and they bought it saying it passed with Flying colors. 

No way I would buy from them 

Often it's wholesale. 

Their inspection process is ####. My Genesis was totally ####ed, and they bought it saying it passed with Flying colors. 

No way I would buy from them 
I just bought my 6th car from them.  They give you I think 7 days to return a car.  I take them to my mechanic. Had one lemon they gladly took back and we exchanged.  The other cars all had no issues.

Had a relative pass away out of state and need to sell their car. Can't take it to CarMax now - will be at least  a couple months-  so figuring out how to approach this.

It's worth about 12K based on blue book private sale.  It's a 2013 Honda Accord.

Wondering about how much I can expect for cash sale.
Have sold multiple cars to them.  Easy and quick.  

They offered me 2 grand less than what I was able to sell my truck for on Craigslist. 
Thanks that’s kind of what I’m trying to get an idea about.

what was the amount you got? cuz 2 grand less on a 5K car is a lot different than 2 grand less on a 15K car

what was the amount you got? cuz 2 grand less on a 5K car is a lot different than 2 grand less on a 15K car
It was an F150.  They offered me 11k for it, and I sold it myself for 13k. 

I bought it new, but it was a basic one - extended cab, short bed. It was a work truck for me. Still a nice truck but wasn’t tricked out. 

I just bought my 6th car from them.  They give you I think 7 days to return a car.  I take them to my mechanic. Had one lemon they gladly took back and we exchanged.  The other cars all had no issues.
I called them at 2900 miles driven, just ahead of a 1200 mile trip, on a 4000 mile warranty (standard) which would be exceeded before I got the car back to them.  They asked no questions and fixed several small things (replaced side mirror motors and tire pressure sensors, etc) we'd discovered during our first 90 days even with the 4100 miles driven.  Huge selling point IMO.

Also, they may buy your car but it doesn't mean they'll sell it on the lot.  A lot of cars they buy get sold at auction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called them at 2900 miles driven, just ahead of a 1200 mile trip, on a 4000 mile warranty (standard) which would be exceeded before I got the car back to them.  They asked no questions and fixed several small things (replaced side mirror motors and tire pressure sensors, etc) we'd discovered during our first 90 days even with the 4100 miles driven.  Huge selling point IMO.

Also, they may buy your car but it doesn't mean they'll sell it on the lot.  A lot of cars they buy get sold at auction.
They part out a ton of cars and make a ton of money that way. With many used vehicles these days, the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole.

Anyone used/ or know of any options besides CarMax to check out in case CarMax gives low ball offer?  Only gonna be there a few days so need something quick (i.e. Craigslist won't work).  Was googling around and looks like Auto Trader has a service where they match you with a dealer. Anyone used that or something similar?

I used them and would again.  They take very little of your time and cut to the chase of what it’s worth. There is no pressure to take the offer or not. 

I ended up selling a car recently to a private buyer for about $7k where the CarMax offer was a little over $5k. The CarMax offer was also substantially better than dealer offers. 

I had a 2004 Infiniti with almost 200K miles and in need of a new timing chain, which is a huge expense.  Offered me 2 grand after about 30 minutes of time, cut me a check the next day and that was that.  Super easy and painless.  

Anyone used/ or know of any options besides CarMax to check out in case CarMax gives low ball offer?  Only gonna be there a few days so need something quick (i.e. Craigslist won't work).  Was googling around and looks like Auto Trader has a service where they match you with a dealer. Anyone used that or something similar?
My experience is that CarMax >> dealer.

There are a ton of sites that'll give you a bid for you car if you enter the VIN and some other info.  I did better with CarMax, but I've seen people claim that sometimes those sites are better.

Users who are viewing this thread