What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kyle Shananhan Moving Forward (1 Viewer)

Smack Tripper

Footballguy
He was a big part of what you might call the two biggest chokes in NFL history (Houston/Buffalo also in consideration but these were Super Bowls).

I wonder if the Atlanta game was in his mind yesterday, but that is a bad bad loss.

My brother turned to me when they weren't running down the clock in the Atlanta game and asked if he was trying to lose the game, so there might be something to this. He's pulled moves that astute football minds are left wondering what if instead...

That can't be good. Doesn't mean he's a choker. Doesn't mean he can't shake it with some righteous follow-up, but one loss at 95% WPA is one thing in the Super Bowl, never mind two.

lost to then greatest of all time in brady....and the current cheat code in the nfl....i never thought that the chiefs wers.out of that game
I didn't either but to be fair, I think he's guilty of massively overthinking things.  He was playing 4D chess with Reid, a guy fighting the weight of his own history.  Samuel didn't get a touch or target in the 4th, and how do you give Mostert 12 carries all day in a game you're leading.  

And the end of the first half my god.  You could have had the ball with two timeouts and 1:40 left.  Thats why I don't want to hear about this Kittle PI call.  It was only Reid's somewhat spotty (but at least aggressive) choice to take the time out on third down you had a shot when they were able to break the Wilson play (which was also combatively conservative).  

He's an undeniably bright mind but man some very shaky decision making in a couple of big games.

Jesus. Not conservative enough in Atlanta. Too conservative yesterday.  

Bottom line. The guy is an excellent head coach who is still learning. “Conservatively” there are 26 teams that would fire their current head coach today if they had a chance to get him.  

Bottom line. The guy is an excellent head coach who is still learning. “Conservatively” there are 26 teams that would fire their current head coach today if they had a chance to get him.  

I don't think he was too conservative yesterday.  I was surprised he didn't run more down the stretch.  Seemed like it was more of missing opportunities to be aggressive and then making up for those missed opportunities with being too aggressive when it was time to be conservative.   Chiefs made plays when they had too as well.  Kind of a perfect storm of bad outcomes for the 49ers....

The offense sputtered at critical moments in the game, and it was mostly when they passed......I'm sure he's wishing he'd have called more run plays.  It's what got em there and KC wasn't exactly stopping it

Lost the SB as OC being too aggressive when a conservative game plan (of 2 runs with no gain while Brady/Belicheck sit on the sidelines knowing they just lost) wins it with a 47 yard FG with a K that makes those in his sleep.

Lost SB with a conservative 4th Q. gameplan that the herminator himself would have endorsed. 

Not even at the end of the half?

That to me was only quibble I had with him yesterday but it might have been the difference.
Maybe but I don't think that in an of itself wasn't the difference in the game.  Maybe that set a tone to the players that the coaches were afraid of the players making a mistake or not trusting Jimmy G.  That may have been the take away and in that case I would agree.

The only real conservative call I didn't agree with was when they kicked the FG instead of going for it on 4th and 2.  With their run game I think I go for it and try and put the dagger in at that time. 

You think so? 

To change the question a little, how many teams would trade a pick for him? First any pick, second how many would trade a first rounder?

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a big part of what you might call the two biggest chokes in NFL history (Houston/Buffalo also in consideration but these were Super Bowls).

I wonder if the Atlanta game was in his mind yesterday, but that is a bad bad loss.
They were up 10 vs. the best QB in the league.  Teams lose games like that all the time. 28-3 is in the running, but this one, nah.

Not even at the end of the half?

That to me was only quibble I had with him yesterday but it might have been the difference.
This is my biggest criticism, 3 timeouts and almost 2 minutes on the clock you have to be aggressive. Reid won because he was aggressive by going for it twice on 4th down.

You're playing the Chiefs, you need points.

They were up 10 vs. the best QB in the league.  Teams lose games like that all the time. 28-3 is in the running, but this one, nah.
They were up 10 with less than 9 minutes left in the game and the Chiefs inside their own 20 yd line with a top 5 defense in the league .  This is a game the 49ers should have won and was a bit of a choke job.  The offense did nothing and the defense folded. 

I watched the last 9 minutes or so of the game last night, and to me, Shanahan didn't choke this away.

He called a mix of plays just like he had all game. The difference is the Chiefs interior line got some push and Chris Jones pretty much single-handily disrupted that game.  

And when the Chiefs got the ball back, they just made plays. That defense had rushed hard all game and their secondary had to chase these receivers around all game. 

The Atlanta game was malpractice - this game was just a game that went the Chiefs way. They made plays, too. 

Users who are viewing this thread