What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rush Limbaugh-lung cancer (1 Viewer)

Its a tough diagnosis because it is usually advanced before it is discovered due to no symptons.  My FIL passed away about 10 years ago from it. At that time Dr said 18 months from diagnosis and he was spot on.

ETA: smoked excessively until he was about 50 then stopped cold turkey when our first daughter was born.

Hope he beats it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate that he’s made an unfathomable amount of money the way he has and spawned others as well. 

I will say that his show is somewhat entertaining though.

I was listening to it the day John Gotti died. Breaking news and Rush said something like “John Gotti has assumed room temperature”.  Maybe his passing can be relayed similarly. 

I hate that he’s made an unfathomable amount of money the way he has and spawned others as well. 

I will say that his show is somewhat entertaining though.

I was listening to it the day John Gotti died. Breaking news and Rush said something like “John Gotti has assumed room temperature”.  Maybe his passing can be relayed similarly. 
John Gotti has real blood on his hands and has ruthlessly killed or had killed many many people.  Rush Limbaugh has different political views.  Please don't equate the two.  

Thoughts and prayers to Rush.  He has given a voice to a lot of people who did not see it in the major networks.   As bad as some people see Rush, there were a lot of people who saw the media in the 80's just like that.  Rush provided the viewpoint that was never discussed in those days.  Godspeed. 

"if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

He was the drummer boy for the RNC for so long.

Love his voiceover in Family Guy’s Blue Harvest episode. That’s all the good things I can think of regarding him.

I don't understand the need to let everyone know that you disagreed with someone when wishing them well or expressing sympathy for their situation. 
I think the overall point is no matter how much of a d bag you are is that cancer sucks and nobody "deserves " it.  

But he does have a long history and track record of mocking people with illness that I hope he walks back now. 

I think the overall point is no matter how much of a d bag you are is that cancer sucks and nobody "deserves " it.  
Hmm, that's not usually the impression I get from people. Maybe that's true for some, though. I generally assume people are trying to make sure that everyone knows where they stand and doesn't confuse their well-wishes with support of the person's actions/philosophies. In other words, I tend to assume it's more about the poster than it is about the suffering person (or the disease afflicting them). God forbid someone think I might agree with a particular person based on my kind comments toward their condition. 

But he does have a long history and track record of mocking people with illness that I hope he walks back now. 
I think I always agree that less mocking is a good thing.

I seen a lot of places put quote around a mischaracterization of what Rush actually said about Jerry Garcia.  The actual quote I found: 

"When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he's being honored, like some godlike
figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks."

Which is different than what many places claims he said.  Not the greatest quote, but not mocking him. 

I seen a lot of places put quote around a mischaracterization of what Rush actually said about Jerry Garcia.  The actual quote I found: 

"When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he's being honored, like some godlike

Which is different than what many places claims he said.  Not the greatest quote, but not mocking him. 
That seems like it’s kinda mocking him to me but I guess it doesn’t matter at this point. 

thats totally mocking him

Oh boy, then there is this

"Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people, if it does. Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it’s true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots." ~Rush Limbaugh

Oh boy, then there is this

"Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people, if it does. Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it’s true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots." ~Rush Limbaugh
Pretty pointless and ignorant spin, but not mocking people with cancer either.  Even if Rush made some ignorant and insensitive statements, does not justify other people acting similat or worse. 

Pretty pointless and ignorant spin, but not mocking people with cancer either.  Even if Rush made some ignorant and insensitive statements, does not justify other people acting similat or worse. 
Thats certainly one way of looking at it. 

But hey man like I said, the dude made a living (killing) by going this route and saying insane level stuff.  Check twitter his quotes are there but cancer is never a good thing to wish on anyone.   When you say this stuff about a variety of people you simply cannot get mad when there are people out there that lean into this. 

Extended exposure to Radon is another cause of lung cancer (not near the risk of smoking). It tends to be found in areas of granite ground rock. Some states may even require testing for it.

My father died of lung cancer at 54, and I had a BIL die at 46.  My Dad smoked cigars like Rush, and my BIL chain-smoked when he drank, which was pretty infrequent.  Assuming that "advanced" is stage 4, Rush is in for a nasty, painful ride of decline, improvement, and more decline.  I'm guessing the treatment has improved since those days (my dad's been gone 30 years and my BIL 10), but it will still suck for everyone involved.  T&P.

My father died of lung cancer at 54, and I had a BIL die at 46.  My Dad smoked cigars like Rush, and my BIL chain-smoked when he drank, which was pretty infrequent.  Assuming that "advanced" is stage 4, Rush is in for a nasty, painful ride of decline, improvement, and more decline.  I'm guessing the treatment has improved since those days (my dad's been gone 30 years and my BIL 10), but it will still suck for everyone involved.  T&P.
Yeah, tough way to go. Usually already metastasized by the time you know you have it. Typically bones and brain. Here’s to hoping for a miracle.

Thats certainly one way of looking at it. 

But hey man like I said, the dude made a living (killing) by going this route and saying insane level stuff.  Check twitter his quotes are there but cancer is never a good thing to wish on anyone.   When you say this stuff about a variety of people you simply cannot get mad when there are people out there that lean into this. 
And yet another way of looking at it is that you won't find anyone that hasn't done or said something that they shouldn't have.   What person in this world is qualified to decide which people are worthy or unworthy of compassion?  It depends on who you ask.  I can't think of one person I truly hate, especially someone I don't even know personally. 

I was actually expecting this thread to be more of the same garbage when someone "controversial" gets sick or dies, but people are being civil about it. I still remember the Scalia thread from a few years ago. It was just awful.  Maybe there is hope. We can all actually share different options and ideas on the world and not be at each other's throats all the time. 

And yet another way of looking at it is that you won't find anyone that hasn't done or said something that they shouldn't have.   What person in this world is qualified to decide which people are worthy or unworthy of compassion?  It depends on who you ask.  I can't think of one person I truly hate, especially someone I don't even know personally. 

I was actually expecting this thread to be more of the same garbage when someone "controversial" gets sick or dies, but people are being civil about it. I still remember the Scalia thread from a few years ago. It was just awful.  Maybe there is hope. We can all actually share different options and ideas on the world and not be at each other's throats all the time. 
In a bizarre way cancer unites us.  We have all, everything single one of us, have crossed paths with this brutal disease.  My ww2 grandfather was the definition of a mans man.  Big, strong, just a typical greatest generation type dude and cancer beat him down to nothing in a matter of months.  It sucks watching your love ones go through it and I have seen more than my fair share.  Thats why I feel for RUsh and his family etc.  Dude it sucks.  It sucks bad.  The feeling of helplessness is crushing.

Having said that, although I wont pick apart Rushs past words or ideas, I can see where people (wrongly) will take aim at him for what he has said in the past.   I just watched his last 7 minutes on the broadcast and he seems like he knows how this ends up and it looks to be closing in soon.

I don't understand the need to let everyone know that you disagreed with someone when wishing them well or expressing sympathy for their situation. 
It shows that even though you dislike the person that you are still a human to care about another human diagnosed with a dreadful disease. 

Garcia's eating habits killed him, not the drugs.
OK doc.  How did you eliminate smoking which have chemicals known to cause the blood to thicken and form clots inside veins and arteries?   Or drugs and alcohol which are also known to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease?  I am interested in seeing your examination and how you reached the conclusion that it was purely diet related.  

OK doc.  How did you eliminate smoking which have chemicals known to cause the blood to thicken and form clots inside veins and arteries?   Or drugs and alcohol which are also known to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease?  I am interested in seeing your examination and how you reached the conclusion that it was purely diet related.  
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1995/08/30/Garcia-died-of-ailing-heart/8952809755200/

It (the heroin use) wasn't contributing toward his death.' The coroner's official said an autopsy revealed that Garcia suffered from severe arteriosclerosis. Two of Garcia's coronary arteries were 85 percent clogged with cholesterol while a third was 30 percent clogged. The condition likely was related to Garcia's fondness for junk food. He also was a diabetic, overweight and smoked -- all factors that can lead to severe heart disease.

jon_mx said:

Wasn't Rush an admitted addict of pain medications he got through black market channels? 

My MiL died of lung cancer about 20 years ago.  I wasn't a fan of his radio show but I hope that he recovers and if that is not possible at least passes without much pain.

Apple Jack said:
It (the heroin use) wasn't contributing toward his death.' The coroner's official said an autopsy revealed that Garcia suffered from severe arteriosclerosis. Two of Garcia's coronary arteries were 85 percent clogged with cholesterol while a third was 30 percent clogged. The condition likely was related to Garcia's fondness for junk food. He also was a diabetic, overweight and smoked -- all factors that can lead to severe heart disease.
Point of order:  TYPE II Diabetes.  

I wish the AMA would come up with a different designation for Type II Diabetes because Type II and Type I are not the same thing.  As a father of a child with Type I, I bristle at this.  Type II is caused by lifestyle choices.  Type I ain't a person's fault. 

/SoapBox.

jon_mx said:

He called him just another dead doper, which given Rush's life is a pretty interesting comment.  

Yup, if someone is going to say stuff about people when they die they shouldn't be surprised if others do it to them.  
A fat drug addict effectively saying publicly that a beloved dead fat drug addict had it coming for being a fat drug addict was especially "classy." Cool guy.

He called him just another dead doper, which given Rush's life is a pretty interesting comment.  
I searched for that, but did not find a reliable source.  The closest thing with Rush talking about Garcia was the one above.  Now Al Frankin claimed on CNN Rush said that.  Democratic Underground claims Rush said that.  But I can't find any actual source or the context of the quote or any actual transcript to verify that.  From what I see that 'just another dead dopper" is a grossly distorted characterization of what Rush said based on the transcript I provided and has been repeated enough it has become a "quote".

Users who are viewing this thread