Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
BassNBrew

***2020 Democrat Primary/Caucus Thread*** Biden Is Your Demoractic Nominee

2 minutes ago, KiddLattimer said:

Its possible someone will pop up, I'm just not seeing them right now. I know people love AOC right now but by the time she's old enough to run I'm assuming she'll be swallowed up by the system.

Katie Porter!!

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

Bernie supporters seem to be like Bernie. Only Democrats in presidential primaries. 

Would you rather he run third party or run in the Democrat party and support the eventual nominee?

16 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

:shrug:

Leadership matters.

When the country needed it - Trump left no doubts that he has none.

Biden will win handily - with, or without mental acuity.

That's all well and good, but leadership matters when pointed in the right direction. Like ren has pointed out, he's been so wrong so many times and is beholden to the same interests that give people pause. It's going to be a tougher general than people think, even though people are sick of Trump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, msommer said:

He's got four to 8 years to find them

I don't think there is any chance Biden runs in 2024. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rockaction said:

That's all well and good, but leadership matters when pointed in the right direction. Like ren has pointed out, he's been so wrong so many times and is beholden to the same interests that give people pause. It's going to be a tougher general than people think, even though people are sick of Trump. 

Thats just not true though - imo.

In November - the choice is:

Chaos + Bad Decisions v. Calm + Bad Decisions*

Calm will win every single time.

*I am just accepting this, without agreeing for now.

And, I am not saying Biden is the "perfect" candidate by any stretch - but most of his deficiencies would show up in a Dem primary more than a general election.  Iraq War?  Most people were in favor.  Crime Bill?  Most people were in favor.  Biden is showing that he can win over the vast majority of people who should be opposed to those positions in the past.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Bernie Sanders will suspend his campaign after Joe Biden won 3 primary states Tuesday, a source tells Axios

ETA - followed by:

Sam Stein @samstein · 52s

Bernie aide to me just now throws cold water on report he is dropping out: "Nothing has changed since Faiz’s statement this morning"

Edited by Sinn Fein

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Biden is expected to win all 3 states comfortably, but expect lower than normal turnout.

This didn't seem to hold true in Florida...given the circumstances, I'd say it was a pretty impressive turnout for the state.

ETA:  I might be misreading the tea leaves.  I've only been here a couple years.  Still learning the lay of the land.

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Axios headline: "Bernie Sanders suspends his 2020 campaign Facebook ads"

Seems like people didn't read the last two words before doing some all-caps tweeting. 

Edited by caustic
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Thats just not true though - imo.

In November - the choice is:

Chaos + Bad Decisions v. Calm + Bad Decisions*

Calm will win every single time.

*I am just accepting this, without agreeing for now.

And, I am not saying Biden is the "perfect" candidate by any stretch - but most of his deficiencies would show up in a Dem primary more than a general election.  Iraq War?  Most people were in favor.  Crime Bill?  Most people were in favor.  Biden is showing that he can win over the vast majority of people who should be opposed to those positions in the past.  

To be honest I don't understand the bolded at all.  If the end result is Bad Decisions either way, a vote for Biden/Trump is a vote for Bad Decisions.  You're basically saying 'yes, Biden chose wrong over and over again, & would continue to choose wrong, but he chooses wrong in a more palatable way.'  

Also, TONS of Democrats used to oppose the Iraq War.  It was virtually disqualifying back in 2008.  It was a huge contrast Obama could draw with Clinton.  With the benefit of hindsight I think they'd oppose the Crime Bill as well- I assume black people are not a fan of that one.  Part of Trump's appeal in 2016 was that he was able to run against Washington orthodoxy.  When he told Jeb Bush to his face that W's war was a disaster, Republicans & Independents went nuts.  He was right!  

I don't care if people think Biden will beat Trump.  I don't care what silver lining they think they're finding in a Biden presidency.  I don't care what the DNC thinks it's doing by nominating somebody with that kind of record.  The point of the election isn't to "beat Trump"- it's to undo the policy disaster that Trump and Biden before him have created. 

It's just a completely unacceptable choice for me.  Joe Biden & Donald Trump are not good enough.  I think voters are prolonging the country's misery by making that choice.  

3 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Also, TONS of Democrats used to oppose the Iraq War.  It was virtually disqualifying back in 2008.  It was a huge contrast Obama could draw with Clinton. 

Seriously... where the hell did these people go?  Was it just anti-Bush propaganda at the time? 

3 minutes ago, KiddLattimer said:

Seriously... where the hell did these people go?  Was it just anti-Bush propaganda at the time? 

A lot of them just stopped caring about war.  Once Obama normalized everything about W's presidency, antiwar sentiment in the Democratic Party was basically over.  The rest of them either checked out or became Berniecrats. 

1 minute ago, ren hoek said:

A lot of them just stopped caring about war.  Once Obama normalized everything about W's presidency, antiwar sentiment in the Democratic Party was basically over.  The rest of them either checked out or became Berniecrats. 

That's what I'm afraid of with Biden or any other "moderate" (i hate that term) Dem... they're going to go to sleep, war with Syria, Iran, N Korea or whatever becomes just business as usual and my son is marching in the desert to make an oil stock go up 1/1000 of a cent

48 minutes ago, caustic said:

Axios headline: "Bernie Sanders suspends his 2020 campaign Facebook ads"

Seems like people didn't read the last two words before doing some all-caps tweeting. 

If I were his campaign - I would note how quickly people accepted the story and breathed a sigh of relief...

30 minutes ago, KiddLattimer said:

Dubya's re-election knocked the stuffing out of a lot of us. I dont think the current President could do as much damage in two terms as that Bush administration did in its first - ruining our international rep in a yr, expanding K St by a power of 14 - and America's willingness to pick up his option & the Dems utter cluelessness trying to stop that made most people who cared about old-fashioned politics feel like a cartoon who'd been gobsmacked by a frypan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Hence the lower number - four

3 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:
4 hours ago, KiddLattimer said:

Dubya's re-election knocked the stuffing out of a lot of us. I dont think the current President could do as much damage in two terms as that Bush administration did in its first - ruining our international rep in a yr, expanding K St by a power of 14 - and America's willingness to pick up his option & the Dems utter cluelessness trying to stop that made most people who cared about old-fashioned politics feel like a cartoon who'd been gobsmacked by a frypan

I also think a lot of people tend to forget the peer pressure to lash out after 9/11

Ben Jacobs @Bencjacobs · 12m

Tulsi Gabbard suspends her campaign, saying "its clear Democratic primary voters have chosen Vice President Joe Biden"

• Like 1

I'm very surprised at Biden

old, rich white guy who's been in politics decades and a contributor to just how bad our Govt is in many ways ......... vulgar, says very odd/weird things, touchy feely on women, his son and the Ukraine deal 

very surprising to me

• Laughing 1

Bernie staying in this thing is inexcusable at this point. 

The media would be calling Trump a murderer by now if he was in same spot. Its over. Old people being put in serious danger with these primaries. 

6 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

old, rich white guy who's been in politics decades and a contributor to just how bad our Govt is in many ways ......... vulgar, says very odd/weird things, touchy feely on women, his son and the Ukraine deal 

very surprising to me

This is the biggest thing and why Biden is the worst possible pick in these times for Democrats. Biden was in the Senate for 40 years selling our country out to China. Americans are really finally waking up to the fact China makes our Aspirin and so many other things in our lives horrified.  

2 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

very surprising to me

Can you explain why you are 'very surprised" by an old, rich white guy who's been a contributor to just how bad our gov't is in may ways.....vulgar, says very odd/weird things, touchy feely on women?  That fits our current pick for President to a T having to alter only slightly the amount of time in office and "his son" to "his children" to fit Trump perfectly.  I expect him to be the pick...definitely not surprised.  This is a copycat league. :shrug: 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Bernie staying in this thing is inexcusable at this point. 

The media would be calling Trump a murderer by now if he was in same spot. Its over. Old people being put in serious danger with these primaries. 

Funny. Establishment hacks on Twitter have been insinuating this exact thing about Bernie.

Just one of many examples: https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1240069165429346304?s=19

Edited by ShamrockPride

On 3/20/2020 at 1:31 PM, ShamrockPride said:

Funny. Establishment hacks on Twitter have been insinuating this exact thing about Bernie.

Just one of many examples: https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1240069165429346304?s=19

To be fair, Tom Perez, the Biden campaign, and Sanders' campaign manager all either encouraged people to vote anyway (Biden framed it as overcoming past national crises- as if these things can't be delayed or rerouted to mail-in voting) or at least tacitly permitted people to go out and vote.  This is long after professional sports leagues and schools have closed en masse due to the pandemic.  Would have been a better look for Sanders campaign to push hard for a delay imo.  Just criminal negligence to move forward like that.  

David Doel @daviddoel

Joe Biden is absent while Bernie Sanders is leading the opposition to Trump’s inadequate response; including a detailed breakdown on what govt should do, multiple livestreams with experts, & using his massive email list to raise money for charities. Bernie should stay in.

5 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

David Doel @daviddoel

Joe Biden is absent while Bernie Sanders is leading the opposition to Trump’s inadequate response; including a detailed breakdown on what govt should do, multiple livestreams with experts, & using his massive email list to raise money for charities. Bernie should stay in.

Bernie Sanders is an acting Senator and likely should be more active in this than Biden who holds no public office at this point.

Yeah - I am not sure how I would feel about Biden taking a bigger role here.

For better or worse, Trump is the President, and what we don't need right now is a shadow government second guessing his every move.*  I think that just leads to confusion and unnecessary animosity - and it risks Trump doing the opposite just out of spite.

• Like 1

Yesterday Michael Brooks floated the idea of Andrew Cuomo being the eventual Dem nominee.  Seeing others doing the same thing.  I can see it.  🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

For better or worse, Trump is the President, and what we don't need right now is a shadow government second guessing his every move.*  I think that just leads to confusion and unnecessary animosity - and it risks Trump doing the opposite just out of spite.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1241745449209352193

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1241492280709537793

Personally I'd like to see them focus on vital information, and perhaps coming at Trump from an angle of persuasion rather than condemnation.  I think it's incumbent on a person running for president to act like a leader, especially during an unprecedented crisis like this. 

For him to just up and disappear while his campaign staffers tweet videos/articles is just bizarre.  Checking in with a thumbsup emoji to an instagram celebrity's livestream is even weirder.  

Apparently he did have a conference call with reporters on Friday.  Not communicating directly to voters during this time just cedes ground to Trump.

1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

David Doel @daviddoel

That's good politics. Sanders, a Senator, is a lightning rod for all the snark from The RIght.  Meanwhile, Biden sits back like a Kermit meme, drinking tea and saying "I don't know about that".  

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Bernie Sanders is an acting Senator and likely should be more active in this than Biden who holds no public office at this point.

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Exactly. The country needs one voice of an elected leader.  Not a nominee undermining things publicly.  Criticism for certain things...sure...but not making proposals or acting as if he is POTUS.

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, Drunken Cowboy said:

I disagree here. Assuming he wins this time. As long as his health is decent (and he will be getting the best health care in the world) the Democrats will run him again to keep the status quo and insulate him with people they want making the real decisions around him. Especially if he is popular and the country is doing well. 

Edited by msudaisy26

10 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

I disagree here. Assuming he wins this time. As long as his health is decent (and he will be getting the best health care in the world) the Democrats will run him again to keep the status quo and insulate him with people they want making the real decisions around him. Especially if he is popular and the country is doing well. 

Yeah, the republicans did that with Reagan even though you could almost see the puppeteer directing him.

1 hour ago, msommer said:

Yeah, the republicans did that with Reagan even though you could almost see the puppeteer directing him.

There was a Genesis video that illustrated this very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

There was a Genesis video that illustrated this very well.

Loved it. Land of Confusion. 

Also remember an incredibly SHORT lived sitcom using the same puppets, depicting the daily life of the White House.  My 15 year old self thought it was hilarious.  After one or two episodes it disappeared.  I asked my mom what happened.  She was no fan of Reagan, but I remember her saying something like "I don't think we can have a prime time TV show depicting the president as a bumbling idiot."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

Loved it. Land of Confusion. 

Also remember an incredibly SHORT lived sitcom using the same puppets, depicting the daily life of the White House.  My 15 year old self thought it was hilarious.  After one or two episodes it disappeared.  I asked my mom what happened.  She was no fan of Reagan, but I remember her saying something like "I don't think we can have a prime time TV show depicting the president as a bumbling idiot."

IIRC it started in the UK with Thatcher but quickly crossed the Atlantic - I forget the name of the show

ETA: Spitting Image

Edited by msommer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2020 at 8:17 AM, Stealthycat said:

very surprising to me

Biden is probably the worst candidate I can remember, everything considered.

He's got no chance to be the POTUS. The American people are smarter than that.

Edited by Football Jones

8 hours ago, Football Jones said:

Biden is probably the worst candidate I can remember, everything considered.

Biden is not a great candidate...but the worst candidate?  That man is now in the Oval...so obviously, America is not smarter than that.  Trump is that bad...seriously that bad.

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

Biden is not a great candidate...but the worst candidate?  That man is now in the Oval...so obviously, America is not smarter than that.  Trump is that bad...seriously that bad.

The last 4 candidates for president. (Trump twice, Hillary and Biden) are probably the worst 8 years of presidential candidates ever and I don't think it is even close. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

The last 4 candidates for president. (Trump twice, Hillary and Biden) are probably the worst 8 years of presidential candidates ever and I don't think it is even close. 

Probably so yes...

Max Blumenthal @MaxBlumenthal

After the 24/7 impeachment bore fest, ongoing Russiagate hysteria, and the Democrats uniting behind the Ghost of Politics Past as his challenger, Trump's approval rating is back up to the highest point in his presidency.  //

What happens after COVID-19 really connects is anyone's guess.  A lot of people seem to think the disastrous handling of this crisis is setting up to be a real liability for Trump in November, that's a reasonable expectation.  But one thing that's evident to me is that Trump's continued 'stage presence,' good or bad, just showing up everyday and acting concerned, all the briefings, all the dispatches, is making him a 'wartime president' in its own right.  I think that's part of the reason Trump frames it as a "war."  

He will be very tough to beat.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Once you reach a certain level of bad there are no rankings.  It becomes a turd.  The Dems turd has a piece of corn in it.  GOP turd has a peanut.  Shape it, slice it, cook it however you want.  Come November, America still eats a stinky old turd.

Edited by beef
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Just now, beef said:

Once you reach a certain level of bad there are no rankings.  It becomes a turd.  The Dems turd has a piece of corn in it.  GOP turd has a peanut.  Shape it, slice it, cook it however you want.  Come November, America still eats a stinky old turd.

Great analogy actually.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Football Jones said:

I thought the same thing in 2016 with Trump and boy was I wrong, and boy are we paying for it.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, adonis said:

I thought the same thing in 2016 with Trump and boy was I wrong, and boy are we paying for it.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

Biden & Sanders are well below par as candidates go, but it doesn’t really matter. The Democratic party is dying fast. I’d venture to say you won’t see another democrat in the WH for quite some time. 

The American people have had enough of their BS, not to mention their stance on a few key issues. This novel dynamic has been brewing for awhile, but went viral with the impeachment. The nail was already in the coffin, but the latest nonsense is hastening their demise.

I, for one, am glad they’ll have to restructure at the very least. It’s simply a party of what’s wrong with politics. 

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Biden & Sanders are well below par as candidates go, but it doesn’t really matter. The Democratic party is dying fast. I’d venture to say you won’t see another democrat in the WH for quite some time. 

The American people have had enough of their BS, not to mention their stance on a few key issues. This novel dynamic has been brewing for awhile, but went viral with the impeachment. The nail was already in the coffin, but the latest nonsense is hastening their demise.

I, for one, am glad they’ll have to restructure at the very least. It’s simply a party of what’s wrong with politics. 

Which key issues do you think Americans are so against? Especially in contrast to the republican party?

Just now, sho nuff said:

Which key issues do you think Americans are so against? Especially in contrast to the republican party?

I’d rather not get into a debate over politics. Plus, it surely wouldn’t solve anything between us (or anyone else). Involved discussions concerning politics isn’t my bag.

Please forgive me, but I’d rather just leave my post at face value. People can agree or disagree.

1 minute ago, Football Jones said:

I’d rather not get into a debate over politics. Plus, it surely wouldn’t solve anything between us (or anyone else). Involved discussions concerning politics isn’t my bag.

Please forgive me, but I’d rather just leave my post at face value. People can agree or disagree.

Well then I highly disagree and if you cant even name which policies...the post fails to stand on its own very well.

but enjoy your night