What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NON Political - Hypocrisy. Can we talk? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
This might be an awful idea. And please, do NOT turn this political. We have another thread for that here.

But this is one of the places where I feel like I can talk to this "at scale" and get a good mix of comments. 

And I'm going to come at this from the angle of "both sides". If you're unwilling to go there, this might not be the thread for you.

But here's my question - what do you think it is that seems to completely blind us to our own hypocrisy?

Why is your arrogance ok but it kills you in others? Why is your snarky post ok but when the "other guy" does it you're mad?

The latest (or many things) I've seen this in my world is with the Super Bowl Halftime show. 

In particular, folks like Franklin Graham who wrote on his Facebook page:

I don’t expect the world to act like the church, but our country has had a sense of moral decency on prime time television in order to protect children. We see that disappearing before our eyes. It was demonstrated tonight in the Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show—with millions of children watching. This exhibition was Pepsi showing young girls that sexual exploitation of women is okay. With the exploitation of women on the rise worldwide, instead of lowering the standard, we as a society should be raising it. I’m disappointed in Pepsi and the NFL.
Few public figures have been more supportive of President Trump. 

On the other hand, I've seen people upset about the Stormy Daniels stuff that were silent during Bill Clinton's Monica Lewinsky issues. 

It seems that we as humans have an unbelievable ability to ignore own hypocrisy. Myself included.

There's also the element of "At what cost?" involved. Franklin Graham is obviously a citizen and can support any president he chooses. The Dixie Chicks can criticize any president they choose. Neither actions happen in a vacuum though. 

I recently observed an interaction where a Christian friend of mine seemed surprised when another Christian friend of mine preferred to keep a distance from Graham. My pro Graham friend is highly intelligent. Yet he seems unable to realize what damage Graham has done to his ability to be taken seriously. 

It just seems baffling to me. 

And was wondering what you thought. I'll dive into more in real life conversations but wanted to ask here. 

And please don't turn this into a political thing. We have an entire thread for that here. I'm more interested in real discussion about why we as humans seem so unable to see our own hypocrisy. 

Most people are blind to their own actions.  They think what they do is acceptable...….because they are doing it.  When others do similar actions but it has an adverse effect to themselves it is bad. 

It's hard to take yourself out of the equation and really look at the action in a vacuum without seeing how it directly affects yourself.  

Lots of reasons:

1. Morality seems to be at an all-time low. 

2. Social media has created a place for people to say things they would never say to someone's face. That in itself is hypocrisy.

3. People's lack of self-awareness anymore is startling. Common courtesy is one of these. People would never talk to their families and friends the way you see them in public interacting with cashiers, waiters, airline employees, etc...

I'm not sure if Franklin Graham is really being a hypocrite here.

I don't know much about him, but it seems like his general philosophy is to condemn the sin that he sees, while giving the benefit of the doubt to what he doesn't see.

In that context, his comments about the halftime show would be consistent with that philosophy.

(Sorry if that analysis was too political.)

People have "situational ethics".   Often times people feel one way about a situation, and then if it happens to them, their ethics switch quite quickly.  Example would be Senator Rob Portman was against gay marriage.  He found out his son was gay, and now gay marriage is OK.  Whether you think his old position, or new position on the subject is right, he didn't change his stance until it involved him or his family.  

People believe that honesty is the best policy... until it comes and bites them in the rear, and just watch how fast they toss that ethic aside.  

god i just had this discussion with my wife on Friday

she has a blind spot for her... activity levels.  she has absolutely no problem whatsoever pointing out that i may have left an empty glass of water on the table overnight.  but refuses to acknowledge that she has left a trail of trash around the house for weeks.  empty bottles, paper plates, crumpled napkins, empty envelopes, dirty utensils.

and her reasoning is "i will clean it up when i get to it but i have to remind you to clean up your messes because you forget".

but, i don't.  if i use something i put that item back in its place. if it's dirty i wash it. if it's trash, dispose of it.

she finally admitted that because she's forgetful, everyone else must be as well. she thinks she's doing other people a service by reminding them to do mundane tasks she will easily forget. in her mind, she's being helpful and people appreciate the reminders to, for example, lock doors.  or shut doors. or to remember keys before leaving the house.  she forgets to do those things about 75% of the time when leaving the house so surely other people must have the same failure rate.. therefore reminding them is OK.

but reminding her of those things is.... way out of bounds in her mind. because, to her, someone is trying to demand her to do something she will obviously, clearly already do. in her eyes it's an attempt to control her. and if someone reminds her to shut a door, and she forgets... she only forgot because someone reminded her and that made her overthink the situation which made her brain think the task was already completed.

so.... it's not hypocrisy. it's "helpful".

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, I think this article on cognitive dissonance and motivated reasoning gives a great answer to your question.

Essentially, we believe certain things and are willing to warp information that conflicts with those beliefs. It’s an evolutionary trait that has to do with trying to protect against scammers and false information as well as sticking in protective groups. It’s not an easy pattern to break because it’s essentially hardwired into our brain.

What’s really eye opening/disconcerting is the assertion in that article that party affiliation is now the most significant identifier in the US. That’s extremely troubling and concerning IMO.

It's all about "my side" being right.  And I know you don't' want to turn this political, but that's where it is coming from.

P.S. Both sides suck.

I find it odd/interesting that you emphasis a couple times to not turn this into a political thing, yet all of your examples are political?
Not that odd. The Graham thing had me thinking about it and it's what I posted in the political forum version. For this,  I specifically used the examples: 

Why is your arrogance ok but it kills you in others? Why is your snarky post ok but when the "other guy" does it you're mad?

Not to defend Graham or anything, but what specifically is his hypocrisy here?  The halftime show was made specifically for all of us to see it.  Trump's comments weren't made thinking everyone would hear/read them. 

While I wasn't personally offended or anything watching the halftime show (with my 4 year old son - we set "halftime" as his bedtime), while watching I was thinking to myself that there would be quite a few people complaining about it. 

Not to defend Graham or anything, but what specifically is his hypocrisy here?  The halftime show was made specifically for all of us to see it.  Trump's comments weren't made thinking everyone would hear/read them. 

While I wasn't personally offended or anything watching the halftime show (with my 4 year old son - we set "halftime" as his bedtime), while watching I was thinking to myself that there would be quite a few people complaining about it. 
Yet the fact that all those young athletes are risking brain damage doesn't faze them a bit. But OMG if a couple of middle aged women shake their rumps too much.

I'm a hypocrite. Daily and all the time. I hold myself to a standard that I will not reach, which is ultimately bound up in my religious beliefs (love God, love others as myself).

Therefore, I fail. And I fail hard and spectacularly at times. But I still try. When I am a hypocrite, I (hopefully) apologize, I (hopefully) make amends, I (hopefully) learn and grow from the experience, and I try, try again. But even in this I am a hypocrite because I don't always do it, nor want to do it. Because it is hard for me admit when I am wrong and to repent and change. I hate it and I hate doing it.

So when I see hypocrisy in others, I try and remember that I am just the same. Maybe not that particular brand of hypocrisy, but some other form of it. So it's not really baffling when I see it in others, because of how deeply in runs in me. 

she has a blind spot for her... activity levels.  she has absolutely no problem whatsoever pointing out that i may have left an empty glass of water on the table overnight.  but refuses to acknowledge that she has left a trail of trash around the house for weeks.  empty bottles, paper plates, crumpled napkins, empty envelopes, dirty utensils.

and her reasoning is "i will clean it up when i get to it but i have to remind you to clean up your messes because you forget".

but, i don't.  if i use something i put that item back in its place. if it's dirty i wash it. if it's trash, dispose of it.

she finally admitted that because she's forgetful, everyone else must be as well. she thinks she's doing other people a service by reminding them to do mundane tasks she will easily forget. in her mind, she's being helpful and people appreciate the reminders to, for example, lock doors.  or shut doors. or to remember keys before leaving the house.  she forgets to do those things about 75% of the time when leaving the house so surely other people must have the same failure rate.. therefore reminding them is OK.

but reminding her of those things is.... way out of bounds in her mind. because, to her, someone is trying to demand her to do something she will obviously, clearly already do. in her eyes it's an attempt to control her. and if someone reminds her to shut a door, and she forgets... she only forgot because someone reminded her and that made her overthink the situation which made her brain think the task was already completed.

Her actions go dead against the Golden Rule.  The Golden Rule seems like a good idea however not everyone wants to be treated the same way you want to be treated.  It really would work better if you treated everyone how they want to be treated.....only it's tough to figure that one out sometimes.....

3. People's lack of self-awareness anymore is startling. Common courtesy is one of these. People would never talk to their families and friends the way you see them in public interacting with cashiers, waiters, airline employees, etc...
:goodposting:

Lack of self-awareness, increase in self-importance, lack of awareness of others.  These all lead to hypocrisy.

"I hate when people park in the fire lane in front of the store" ... "I'll only be a second, it's ok for ME to park here"
"I can't believe that person didn't hold that door, I was right behind them!" as they shut the door in the face of the person behind them.

Two small examples that could be expanded to other actions, thinking and politics.

Are we married to the same woman?

Actually, my wife will generally leave me alone, but she will jump all over the kids for things she will do herself.  She will yell at the kids (2 teenage boys) for bringing food/drink into the family room, but she will do it regularly and has spilled more stuff in there than the rest of the family combined.  She'll yell at the oldest son to pick up clothes and such from his bedroom floor (to be fair, he is pretty bad with this), but I'll be damned if I'm not tripping over her shoes and clothes trying to get to the bathroom in the dark at night.  She'll get upset if me or the boys call her out.  We are "ganging up on her".

I suppose we all have moments of hypocrisy...a product of survival in the moment.

Actually, my wife will generally leave me alone, but she will jump all over the kids for things she will do herself.  She will yell at the kids (2 teenage boys) for bringing food/drink into the family room, but she will do it regularly and has spilled more stuff in there than the rest of the family combined.  She'll yell at the oldest son to pick up clothes and such from his bedroom floor (to be fair, he is pretty bad with this), but I'll be damned if I'm not tripping over her shoes and clothes trying to get to the bathroom in the dark at night.  She'll get upset if me or the boys call her out.  We are "ganging up on her".

I suppose we all have moments of hypocrisy...a product of survival in the moment.
Add polygamy to her list of sins.  We all appear to be married to the same woman.

Lots of reasons:

2. Social media has created a place for people to say things they would never say to someone's face. That in itself is hypocrisy.

/thread

exactly this

I don't think he's a hypocrite; I just think he's wrong.   What we saw on the stage wasn't sexual exploitation.  Rather, it was two mega stars in the entertainment industry performing the way they have always performed on the biggest of stages.  If he was offended, he probably should have 1)  Researched the performers prior to the game and 2) Turned off the TV.   

On point 2, for those offended, why not just turn the show off?  I don't understand that - nobody held guns to the heads of people to watch that show.  Free will does indeed exist.  There are plenty of things that offend me.  Guess what?  I TRY TO AVOID THEM!!!!  And you know what happens when I succeed at that?  I'm not offended.   Pretty simple.

But no no no, let's forces ourselves to watch something we don't like and cry on social media that we're outraged.  That's the healthier approach.  

I have no idea who Franklin Graham is or why I should care about what he thinks, but if he's this stupid, I'm glad I don't know who he is.  Somebody show Boomer here where the off button is on his remote.  Lordy be.....

Dunno how you married dudes do it

Dunno how you married dudes do it
it's like having a guy roommate. not a whole lot different...................................................................................................................... a little.

except we don't typically fistfight or otherwise physically tussle when the bad blood boils over.

isn't this guy Billy Graham's kid?

those people traffic in faux outrage.  how else to get people to pay attention to their prosperity gospel?

those gold-plated Cadillac's don't just buy themselves
I guess I don't understand why being the son of Billy Graham is of some sort of great import, but I am predisposed to disdain for lucky sperm club members.  Looking at your, Trump kids.  #NoPolitical

I've seen this in my world is with the Super Bowl Halftime show. ...

...It seems that we as humans have an unbelievable ability to ignore own hypocrisy. Myself included.

...It just seems baffling to me. 
I turned at the halftime show, no political/religious/moral reason.  Just not a fan that sort of entertainment but did see the flimsy costume while watching the game with family so I can understand anyone who objected on those grounds but I don't know why a moral person would watch if they object so much based on moral reasoning.  Like Jimmy Swaggert lashing out against people when he was sought out hookers.  Hypocrisy defined.

Glad to see you included yourself because no one comes riding in on a high horse when it comes to hypocrisy.

If you are looking for a suggestion then turn the channel.

IOWs why focus on what you don't want?  If you don't want hypocrisy then focus on what you do want.    

This might be an awful idea. And please, do NOT turn this political. We have another thread for that here.

But this is one of the places where I feel like I can talk to this "at scale" and get a good mix of comments. 

And I'm going to come at this from the angle of "both sides". If you're unwilling to go there, this might not be the thread for you.

But here's my question - what do you think it is that seems to completely blind us to our own hypocrisy?

The latest (or many things) I've seen this in my world is with the Super Bowl Halftime show. 

On the other hand, I've seen people upset about the Stormy Daniels stuff that were silent during Bill Clinton's Monica Lewinsky issues. 

It seems that we as humans have an unbelievable ability to ignore own hypocrisy. Myself included.

There's also the element of "At what cost?" involved. Franklin Graham is obviously a citizen and can support any president he chooses. The Dixie Chicks can criticize any president they choose. Neither actions happen in a vacuum though. 

I recently observed an interaction where a Christian friend of mine seemed surprised when another Christian friend of mine preferred to keep a distance from Graham. My pro Graham friend is highly intelligent. Yet he seems unable to realize what damage Graham has done to his ability to be taken seriously. 

And was wondering what you thought. I'll dive into more in real life conversations but wanted to ask here. 

And please don't turn this into a political thing. We have an entire thread for that here. I'm more interested in real discussion about why we as humans seem so unable to see our own hypocrisy. 
Some of this is brought from how the person is raised. We take a lot of what our parents use to do. For example I can be pretty noisy sometimes especially work related and I get that from my mother. 

I've talked at length even posted few threads or posts on my buddy who is incredible hypocritical or ignorant to certain things. He doesn't have a lot of friends to begin with and his parents yes'd him and his sister way too much as kids that they were spoiled. Always felt bad when my other buddy and I got older our buddy asked his dad to take us to this or that game or event and without question it was always a yes. Don't get me wrong going was cool (His dad always paid and when we tried to repay he'd just give it back to us) but neither one of us had parents who stop everything just to do what we wanted all the time. Yet why was it always when our parents couldn't do something for us we were always the bad guys? 

Recently I told him I was trying to save money and within less then a week he's asking me to go to a concert or see a game. Yet he tells me something and I just simple forget he acts like it's the end of the world 

Another example is texting or answering phone calls. I can't always talk on the phone and for me it's easier to send a lengthy text then talk as I have no one interrupting me on the other end. If I don't pick up the phone right away or answer text he gets mad. Yet when I'm trying to figure something out he can take forever to respond back or whatever he was doing was way more important he can't pick up the phone. 

People have "situational ethics".   Often times people feel one way about a situation, and then if it happens to them, their ethics switch quite quickly.  Example would be Senator Rob Portman was against gay marriage.  He found out his son was gay, and now gay marriage is OK.  Whether you think his old position, or new position on the subject is right, he didn't change his stance until it involved him or his family.  

People believe that honesty is the best policy... until it comes and bites them in the rear, and just watch how fast they toss that ethic aside.  
The road to empathy is often paved with tragedy. Or something like that.

Many of you know I work in retail at a grocery store and PA laws we got separate registers for ALcohol. This weekend SB weekend is packed (even more if the Eagles had been in it). I get a couple and I tell them I'm express. I asked them if they had 15 or less items. They acted like they couldn't understand me (Seemed foreign but defiantly were able to Understand me) said we don't know. TO not cause a big scene I said I'll take you thinking they maybe had 20. 40 items later while I'm getting up to 30 items I start telling the husband look next time if you have this much stuff I can only do your wine. I'm an express lane. He doesn't get why its a big deal. He says well if its such a big deal to be a few items over then there won't be a next time. I told him you were about 25 items over the limit. This guy had the gaul to make a comment about a person with no alcohol who I took who only had 2 items and a newborn with her. Ok so you are made at that but what you are doing you don't think is wrong? 

Hypocrisy exists in many forms, but I think the kind of examples you are highlighting come down to in-group/out-group dynamics as described by Social Identity Theory. What looks to us from the outside as hypocrisy comes across as very different to the members of the in-group for which the message is intended.

Sorry to sound like a pointy headed academic, but I have learned over the last couple years that an awful lot of our behavior is pretty clearly explained by evolutionary biology. We are pack/tribal animals and these drives in us are very strong.

And they can be relatively easily manipulated by those who are willing to do so in pursuit of status, money, or power. And in our society all three of those things overlap greatly.

As for halftime there's a biased between men and women. Its ok for a guy to be half naked (none of the people I saw complaining said a dam thing about the guy with no shirt performing with Shakira and J-Lo) and Lavine but Shakira and JLo can't. Meanwhile most of the men who were complaining are probably going online looking up pics of them for a five knuckle shuffle. 

As for the women its not ok unless its what they liked. 

My other work example is my supervisors/Management team. The company has a zero cellphone use policy unless it an emergency and management clears you. Managers fine if the DM calls or someone from another store calls. However I see my Store director taking personal calls constantly. My Front End Supervisor takes calls from his brother constantly on fantasy teams, sports betting a to shoot the ####. If that was me or someone else we wouldn't been sent home verbal warning and then Suspensioned the next offense. 

I get managing comes with perks but the abuse of power I see especially in my industry of this is downright hypocritical and awful. I like my FE supervisor though but dam if he was someone I hated I'd be on full call with HR anonymously reporting him on this. 

Many of you know I work in retail at a grocery store and PA laws we got separate registers for ALcohol. This weekend SB weekend is packed (even more if the Eagles had been in it). I get a couple and I tell them I'm express. I asked them if they had 15 or less items. They acted like they couldn't understand me (Seemed foreign but defiantly were able to Understand me) said we don't know. TO not cause a big scene I said I'll take you thinking they maybe had 20. 40 items later while I'm getting up to 30 items I start telling the husband look next time if you have this much stuff I can only do your wine. I'm an express lane. He doesn't get why its a big deal. He says well if its such a big deal to be a few items over then there won't be a next time. I told him you were about 25 items over the limit. This guy had the gaul to make a comment about a person with no alcohol who I took who only had 2 items and a newborn with her. Ok so you are made at that but what you are doing you don't think is wrong? 
That guy isn't a hypocrite, he's just a jerk.

Did they have a stealth bomber cart so you couldn't see how many items they had?

Did they have a stealth bomber cart so you couldn't see how many items they had?
No they changed the cart sizes so really we have like 4 different sizes. The original, the ones we got when we first switch companies and then wider ones we got from a store in the area that closed plus our small little granny type carts. Also the female (Not sure if she was GF/Wife) was blocking part of my view. The way my register is set up over there I sometimes can't see part of the cart either. Plus there were bigger products in there so it I figured maybe it was it just looked like a lot do to bigger items. Clealry I was mistaken. 

Billy Graham was always the guy who didn't use donations to buy fancy cars.

His son, not so much.
Yeah, I was going to say, while he’s sorta right about Franklin (who is not a pastor/preacher), that certainly doesn’t describe Billy Graham at all.

Most people are blind to their own actions.  They think what they do is acceptable...….because they are doing it.  When others do similar actions but it has an adverse effect to themselves it is bad. 

It's hard to take yourself out of the equation and really look at the action in a vacuum without seeing how it directly affects yourself.  
Yep, the old "if someone cuts you off it's because they are an ##### or a crappy ______ driver but you cut someone else off it was just an accident or they were in your blind spot, etc. Human beings hate almost nothing more than being wrong. 

Lots of reasons:

Agree with the list. That said, #3 should probably include corporations in addition to people. The lack of accountability both at a personal level and at a corporate level is astounding. World class customer service is a thing of the past for many corporations (see airlines) which are of course just groups of individuals which leads  to a further decline in common courtesy from their customers. 

Lots of reasons:

Not sure how much I agree with #1, but I think the other two are spot on.  

I think #3 very much piggy backs with @mr furley's example and the psychology that we tend to lash out at others for things that they reflect in us that we don't like or that we might be jealous of.  I catch myself doing this all the time.  I get on my kid about being messy and procrastinating.   Get annoyed with my wife for staying up late, etc..   Mostly stuff that I get annoyed about doing, but don't correct in myself.    Instead of constantly beating myself up, I will take a break by getting on somebody else about it.  

Also, it's hard to judge if it's hypocrisy if you don't know the person and what their thoughts are.  Social media exaggerates this because mistakes are taken out of context and don't disappear like it did when we just made a mistake saying (instead of writing it where it's saved, resent over and over, and a screen shot taken) something to another person.  At the same time it gives people a motive to say stuff they don't mean just to get likes, clicks, retweets, whatever.  

We are all hypocritical from time to time.  However when I realize that I am or someone points it out to me I try to correct it.  I’m human and will screw up again but I do try to be more consistent. 

The problem that I see are too many people just don’t care when they are hypocrites and wont acknowledge it, let alone try to be better.

I was going to say Cognitive Dissonance but Grove beat me to it. We don't like to be wrong or think we could be wrong about something. When you add in the incredible echo chambers on the political side, all people can do is regurgitate the  opinion they've been told to have, regardless of their past opinions or actions. Sad, really. 

I was going to say Cognitive Dissonance but Grove beat me to it. We don't like to be wrong or think we could be wrong about something. When you add in the incredible echo chambers on the political side, all people can do is regurgitate the  opinion they've been told to have, regardless of their past opinions or actions. Sad, really. 
Ok boomer, snowflake, Browns gonna Browns. People mindlessly regurgitating what they think makes them sound cool without actually engaging a single brain synapse is everywhere. This place is certainly no exception.

DallasDMac said:
Ok boomer, snowflake, Browns gonna Browns. People mindlessly regurgitating what they think makes them sound cool without actually engaging a single brain synapse is everywhere. This place is certainly no exception.
Oh sure. I do feel like it’s both worse in our country than similar countries and worse now than it was 30 years ago. I think technology is likely the cause of those differences. 

I got a little misty-eyed during the halftime show because of how I felt it empowered women. Sincerely. Also I have zero social media awareness and was pleasantly ignorant to the idea that there are men who apparently felt the exact polar opposite of how I reacted to it. Just wanted to contribute my voice and add to the "good mix of comments" as I thought that difference was kinda interesting. Thank you for the opportunity to do so :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread