Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
quick-hands

Dantonio out at Michigan State

19 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

Another possible  black eye for spartan athletic  dept.

Developing 

Dantonio was just deposed in January and is getting sued along with the university.  There are rumors as to violations as well.  MSU could end up on probation.  After the Nassar incident this is bad news for MSU. 

Edited by Summer Wheat
  • Like 1

Glad he’s gone :bye:. Program has been broken for a long time. Time for a big change in East Lansing.

Nice he left a day before signing day. And the retirement announcement via tweet is weak. What legacy coach does that?

football team scoring average about to double to 20 ppg

It seems pretty clear that the violations are the reason. You don't step down over a month after the season ends to suddenly be with your family. 

This will only poison the coaching pool who'll see potential sanctions in addition to a lack of recruiting pool as a non-starter.

Chris Creighton may be the best bet.

I'll always remember the Dantonio era fondly, regardless of what happens next. Two Big Ten titles, a Rose Bowl win, playoff appearance, winning record vs. UM that included a few demolitions... MSU probably won't have that kind of football success again in my lifetime.

As for the violations... I think if pretty much any major D1 school has a former recruiting coordinator with an axe to grind start talking to the NCAA, it's gonna end badly. Pretty dumb that MSU didn't just settle with him and move on with life.

He had a contract clause for a $4.3M bonus if he remained head coach through Jan 15 2020.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eephus said:

He had a contract clause for a $4.3M bonus if he remained head coach through Jan 15 2020.

So he gave them about a 2 week notice.

Going to stay with the athletic department and earn about 1 million a year.  Seems like a good deal...

14 minutes ago, Keerock said:

I'd be happy as a clam with Luke Fickell

Harbaugh would look great in green and white.

2 minutes ago, Foosball God said:
17 minutes ago, Keerock said:

He does plenty of good for Sparty in corn and blow as it is... no need to bring him on staff.

• Laughing 2

18 minutes ago, Keerock said:

Or even better... Pat Narduzzi. 

3 minutes ago, Keerock said:

He can't even make Pitt good, as a Michigan fan I'd be happy with that one not so much with Fickell.

4 minutes ago, Keerock said:

That is who I thought of. I think Luke holds on to see if Ryan Day gets lured to the NFL in a few seasons. 
I feel bad for Sparty, hope it’s not to bad! 

20 minutes ago, Keerock said:

Might be time to bring Saban back

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Might be time to bring Saban back

Bite your big fat tongue. 

45 minutes ago, Keerock said:

He seems to be the obvious choice.

1 hour ago, Keerock said:

He does plenty of good for Sparty in corn and blow as it is... no need to bring him on staff.

Agreed!

2 hours ago, Foosball God said:

I heartily agree as a Michigan fan.

• Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, Keerock said:

Old "Moo U" does know it's corn.  ;)

But: Point taken.

Oops - 

Sources: Luke Fickell has decided to stay at Cincinnati. After interviewing for Michigan State on Sunday and talking it over with his family, he elected to stay put.

1 minute ago, whoknew said:

Oops - 

Sources: Luke Fickell has decided to stay at Cincinnati. After interviewing for Michigan State on Sunday and talking it over with his family, he elected to stay put.

Ouch 

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

Ouch 

If Dantonio had left in the fall my guess is that he would have taken it.  As it stands, if the Bearcats have another 10 - 11 win season my guess is he'll have better offers.

17 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Oops - 

:clap:

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

If Dantonio had left in the fall my guess is that he would have taken it.  As it stands, if the Bearcats have another 10 - 11 win season my guess is he'll have better offers.

Yes. Seems like there will be better options. 

Some beat guy on twitter speculated Bielema. That would be...a really good hire? 

Edited by Capella

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Some beat guy on twitter speculated Bielema. That would be...a really good hire? 

He can add a Spartan tattoo next to his iowa and Wisconsin one.  The restaurants would be happy.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, Capella said:

Would it?

I've seen rumors about the dude from Eastern Michigan too. No idea if he can be successful at MSU, but to win like he has at Eastern is pretty impressive. 

8 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Would it?

Won big at Wisconsin. MSU similar program. Arkansas seemed like a fish out of water thing to me. 

26 minutes ago, Capella said:

:lmao:

10 minutes ago, Capella said:

Won big at Wisconsin. MSU similar program. Arkansas seemed like a fish out of water thing to me. 

Oh, I thought you were joking.  :oldunsure:

Just now, General Malaise said:

Oh, I thought you were joking.  :oldunsure:

Guy won 40 games in his last 4 seasons at Wiscy and made 3 Rose bowls. What exactly are you expecting MSU to find out there? 

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

Whoever takes the job will be taking for the $$$.  MSU is going to be a tough job to win at in the coming years.  The way the BIG is set up MSU has to go against OSU, Penn State and Michigan just in their own division. Plus all the off the field stuff going on has not helped. Attendance is down and nobody talks MSU football on Sports Radio in Metro-Detroit.

Edited by Da Guru

It’s always interesting to me how people have a disproportionate view of programs. MSU has reportedly been turned down by 4 coaches and a group of 5 HC but a guy who made 3 Rose bowls as a HC and pumped out 10 win seasons in the same conference isn’t good enough for them? :loco: 

21 minutes ago, Capella said:

It’s always interesting to me how people have a disproportionate view of programs. MSU has reportedly been turned down by 4 coaches and a group of 5 HC but a guy who made 3 Rose bowls as a HC and pumped out 10 win seasons in the same conference isn’t good enough for them? :loco: 

He'd be a good hire, especially in the situation they are in right now.

59 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

The way the BIG is set up MSU has to go against OSU, Penn State and Michigan just in their own division. Plus all the off the field stuff going on has not helped. Attendance is down and nobody talks MSU football on Sports Radio in Metro-Detroit.

Stinky bait but I’ll bite.

When did the way the setup in the East change? Been that way for quite a few years. They Won 3 B1G championships with that setup. How’s umaa working out in the same setup? lol

And WJR (50,000 watt station- largest in the state of Michigan) is the flagship station for all MSU games and broadcasts all MSU games. You have to search the dial to find umaa games on the radio. On the FM side 97.1 is always talking either MSU or umaa....??? Nice try guru. lol

Bielema would be a decent hire. Certainly not my first choice but Mark left the program in a very bad way. Not sure who in their right mind would take the job when your first year is so hamstrung, especially in recruiting.  They may be forced to keep some assistants, who knows. I never thought Fickell would take the job. He has much better setup where he’s at and better options down the road if he continues to be successful.

I do agree that whomever takes the job will be asking for a pile of cash. MSU has never been willing to open the checkbooks (except for the 4 million bonus they just gave Dantonio).

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

I honestly think Mike Tressel will be named head coach before the end of the week. This was setup by Dantonio weeks ago.

Our recruiting is already a struggle. Admin and Dantonio will explain that you cannot expect recruiting to work out with a guy who has an interim tag and a staff who do not know whether they are going to be around. Frankly, I am beginning to think Dantonio was banking on MSU screwing up the search/new hire knowing they would have to go with Tressel which is a gift back to his old mentor from Youngstown.

5 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

I honestly think Mile Tressel will be named head coach before the end of the week. This was setup by Dantonio weeks ago.

Our recruiting is already a struggle. Admin and Dantonio will explain that you cannot expect recruiting to work out with a guy who has an interim tag and a staff who do not know whether they are going to be around. Frankly, I am beginning to think Dantonio was banking on MSU screwing up the search/new hire knowing they would have to go with Tressel which is a gift back to his old mentor from Youngstown.

That will go over well.

14 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Stinky bait but I’ll bite.

When did the way the setup in the East change? Been that way for quite a few years. They Won 3 B1G championships with that setup. How’s umaa working out in the same setup? lol

And WJR (50,000 watt station- largest in the state of Michigan) is the flagship station for all MSU games and broadcasts all MSU games. You have to search the dial to find umaa games on the radio. On the FM side 97.1 is always talking either MSU or umaa....??? Nice try guru. lol

Bielema would be a decent hire. Certainly not my first choice but Mark left the program in a very bad way. Not sure who in their right mind would take the job when your first year is so hamstrung, especially in recruiting.  They may be forced to keep some assistants, who knows. I never thought Fickell would take the job. He has much better setup where he’s at and better options down the road if he continues to be successful.

I do agree that whomever takes the job will be asking for a pile of cash. MSU has never been willing to open the checkbooks (except for the 4 million bonus they just gave Dantonio).

Stinky bait?? It is reality.   5 coaches have already said "No thanks"  Just reported on 97.1 they said Fickel`s wife did not like the culture at MSU and that is why he bailed.

As Valenti says "The only reason we always talk Michigan sports is because when we talk MSU we get a dial tone"  It is just the way it is. 

As far as Michigan I don`t think they will win the east anytime soon either. OSU is not going anywhere for years to come.

Just now, whoknew said:

That will go over well.

Not sure are many more viable options at this point. It’d be par for the course for the Good Ol Boys club going on there right now.

2 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Stinky bait?? It is reality.   5 coaches have already said "No thanks"  Just reported on 97.1 they said Fickel`s wife did not like the culture at MSU and that is why he bailed.

As Valenti says "The only reason we always talk Michigan sports is because when we talk MSU we get a dial tone"  It is just the way it is. 

As far as Michigan I don`t think they will win the east anytime soon either. OSU is not going anywhere for years to come.

Valenti talks Michigan to rile up the minions.

5 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Valenti talks Michigan to rile up the minions.

Of course because their fan base is much larger it is good for ratings.  Valenti talks about Harbaugh all the time because it is good for his show.

To have good ratings as Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh once said you need the people who hate you to listen as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Of course because their fan base is much larger it is good for ratings.  Valenti talks about Harbaugh all the time because it is good for his show.

To have good ratings as Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh once said you need the people who hate you to listen as well.

He’s also brutally honest about his alma mater, which many Spartan fanboys can’t take. Thus the lack of Spartan fans calling in.

His show should be real good today. :lol: