Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

*****Official Trump 2020 State Of The Union Thread*****

Van Jones sounding the warning sirens about this speech and the track Trump is starting to take.  He's rightly picked up on that Trump is going after more black votes this time around.  Mentioned criminal justice reform and help extended to HBCU's.

• Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Sand said:

I still want to know what the white coat women doing the three finger salute (way too close to a Nazi motion, IMO) were chanting there.  I couldn't hear it.

Very strong resemblance to kkk outfits and Nazi salutes. You would think the party of "hats, shirts, smirks, okay signs, etc" are all Nazi/racist that they would have a little more tact.

I guess not.

Just now, joffer said:

i would’ve burned it.  but that’s just me.

Shark move would have been paper airplanes and tossed them to the crowd periodically - with phrases like “grab em”, “covefe” and “Putin’s bestie” written on them.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Mike Damone said:

Van Jones saying Trump is in the hunt for the black vote andDs better wake up

Van Jones knows he’s costing to a second term. Only honest person on CNN.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

She is such a joke, his approval will continue to skyrocket. Who would want to associate themselves with her childish behavior. 

But but but.  She has made all the right moves.

1 minute ago, Mike Damone said:

Van Jones saying Trump is in the hunt for the black vote andDs better wake up

You're going to hear a lot about "all time low unemployment rate for this group and this group..." from the Trump campaign through to November.  It's a fair talking point - big accomplishment.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, squistion said:

Yes, I loved it. 

:wall:

This is a major hot button for me. I can't stand Trump not shaking Pelosi's hand. I can't stand Pelosi's tearing up of the speech. This is ####### childish behavior. Gone apparently are the days of McCain correcting an ignorant supporter for thinking Obama isn't a good American. Gone are the days of Kerry befriending McCain. 

At the end of a brutally fought UFC bout the fighters can shake hands. 

We teach our children from tee-ball on to line up and congratulate each other after a game. 

Most atheists still respect others when they are praying and offer up silence. 

I work a job where myself and another person can be positioned to advocate directly against one another for days to weeks at a time. We put in dozens to hundreds of hours into trying to convince a finder of fact that one of us is right and the other is wrong. Significant stakes are almost at play. But, when it's over, regardless of the winner, we can shake each other's gosh darn hand and show some professional courtesy. 

It's embarassing that the president of the most powerful country in the world, and the speaker of the largest legislative body, cannot do the same as 5 year olds on a tee-ball field or what two lawyers who attended lower-tiered law schools can do in some podunk rural court. 

Edited by Zow
  • Like 16
  • Laughing 1

A totally anecdotal straw poll of my facebook feed... lots of people seething at this Pelosi thing

I don't think its a huge deal myself but it seems to have fired up some faction

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Shark move would have been paper airplanes and tossed them to the crowd periodically - with phrases like “grab em”, “covefe” and “Putin’s bestie” written on them.

That would have been awesome 

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

If my calling you a hack hurts your feewings report me. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

No way am I going to report you after completely proving my point and stepping in as Exhibit A within seconds. Thanks is in order if anything, nice work. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

Worst timsochochet comment ever.  Want me to ask you about your family values?

I gave that comment a like (tim’s I mean). 100% spot on. The truth is the truth no matter how many times lies or deceptions are repeated.

2 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

I had wanted to like him... but I feel like he's got some Machiavellian traits, and traits to spare, behind this aww shucks farm boy routine.  Getting that poll squashed, possibly financing this app... there's something here with this guy.

I think just about all politicians are close to being snakes - it comes with the territory and you have to have a little of it in you to want to run. Pete seems pretty genuine to me and wicked smart.  

2 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Mentioned criminal justice reform and help extended to HBCU's.

The Superbowl commercial was very well done and was aimed squarely here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

Van Jones knows he’s costing to a second term. Only honest person on CNN.

Heard scott adams make an interesting point the other day, and I don't know if he has skeltons in his closet, but he said if Jones was running, where would he be in the polls?  He might well be leading with this field, he's an engaging orator

1 minute ago, Sand said:

Sure. 

But can you (or anybody) articulate exactly what reform Trump has put into place that has made a sizable impact?

1 minute ago, Sand said:

lol, come on now Sand, no it wasn't. There was zero substance to it at all, just a prop of a single person who he pardoned. What exactly has he done in regard to criminal justice reform? You certainly didn't learn that from the commercial.

1 minute ago, Sand said:

It became apparent tonight he's dead serious about making a play for the black vote.  A move of even 3-4% would be enormous.  Think of PA's demographics and how to win the state it's the numbers largely out of Philly and whether it outpaces the remainder of a largely rural state.  If Trump can close the gap in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh just fractionally, it becomes much easier to win PA.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jm192 said:

People hate Trump because he's divisive.  

Totally agree.

Like when trump let khashoggi get tortured and killed by a bone saw while continuing to do business with the guy that murdered him... if you don't like that, i get it, but that's just him being divisive. 

Tearing up paper though, that's a bridge too far. 

• Like 5
  • Laughing 1

16 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Terrible look. After one of his best speeches to act that childish doesn’t appeal to any grown adult. Only the echoers will claim anything positive form that, she helped Trump immensely. He tones his rhetoric down and she cranks up the crazy, couldn’t play out any better for him. Didn’t mention impeachment once, maybe Nance was melting down at the end over that backfire that no one cares about?

I don`t understand it.  Pelosi is 80 years old and has been around the block 100 times.  Have some class.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zow said:

This is a major hot button for me. I can't stand Trump not shaking Pelosi's hand. I can't stand Pelosi's tearing up of the speech. This is ####### childish behavior. Gone apparently are the days of McCain correcting an ignorant supporter for thinking Obama isn't a good American. Gone are the days of Kerry befriending McCain. 

At the end of a brutally fought UFC bought tthe fighters can shake hands. 

We teach our children from tee-ball on to line up and congratulate each other after a game. 

I work a job where myself and another person can be positioned to advocate directly against one another for days to weeks at a time. We put in dozens to hundreds of hours into trying to convince a finder of fact that one of us is right and the other is wrong. Significant stakes are almost at play. But, when it's over, regardless of the winner, we can shake each other's gosh darn hand and show some professional courtesy. 

It's embarassing that the president of the most powerful country in the world, and the speaker of the largest legislative body, cannot do the same as 5 year olds on a tee-ball field or two lawyers who attended lowertiered laws can do in some podunk rural court. 

Agree with all this. It’s set up to where they can’t give an inch. Big, big problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Elliott said:

CNN ripped Pelosi’s antics throughout the entire speech.

I think CNN is trying to restore their credibility.   Jake and Wolf actually were pretty complimentary about the speech..I mean as much as they could be.

• Like 2

Impeached...no effect.

Tearing up paper...costing dems votes. (Not even someone running for the presidency)

We are in the upside down.

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3

7 minutes ago, Zow said:

At the end of a brutally fought UFC bought tthe fighters can shake hands. 

It's embarassing that the president of the most powerful country in the world, and the speaker of the largest legislative body, cannot do the same as 5 year olds on a tee-ball field or two lawyers who attended lowertiered laws can do in some podunk rural court. 

And both sides applaud their own behavior. Abhorent. 

3 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I think I’ve seen you post this about 3-4 times - is there some story here or do you just not like him?

He is a groomed CIA project is the theory.

Ivy League, McKinsey, military intelligence, favorite Democrat candidate of the establishment and Wall St.

Basically he plays the soft spoken, moderate, gay guy to get votes, then when he gets to the WH he becomes a puppet for the string pullers. More wars, more bad trade deals for the American people, more bad policies to benefit big corporations,  more trillions in aid laundered back to politicians and contractors, etc.

He certainly doesn't have the authentic Democrat vibe to him, more like a character from Homeland.

:lol:

https://www.newsweek.com/nancy-pelosi-tears-state-union-speech-after-address-it-was-courteous-thing-do-considering-1485751?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1580875562

NANCY PELOSI TEARS UP STATE OF THE UNION SPEECH AFTER ADDRESS: 'IT WAS THE COURTEOUS THING TO DO CONSIDERING THE ALTERNATIVES'

Shortly after President Donald Trump finished delivering the State of the Union address Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ripped her copy of the speech in half.

As Trump closed the speech, saying "Thank you. God bless you. God bless America," Pelosi, a Democratic congresswoman from California, stood up directly behind the president. She then straightened her copy of the speech by tapping it on the desk, brought it up to chest-level and tore it in half. She continued to do the same with more papers—presumably the second half of the 90-minute-long speech.

When asked why she ripped up the speech, Pelosi replied, "Because it was the courteous thing to do considering the alternatives," according to a video posted by Fox News producer Jason Donner.

7 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

A totally anecdotal straw poll of my facebook feed... lots of people seething at this Pelosi thing

I don't think its a huge deal myself but it seems to have fired up some faction

Which is both understandable and silly at the same time given the handshake snub and the multiple grossly embarassing and downright mean tweets he puts out per week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

He is a groomed CIA project is the theory.

Ivy League, McKinsey, military intelligence, favorite Democrat candidate of the establishment and Wall St.

Basically he plays the soft spoken, moderate, gay guy to get votes, then when he gets to the WH he becomes a puppet for the string pullers. More wars, more bad trade deals for the American people, more bad policies to benefit big corporations,  more trillions in aid laundered back to politicians and contractors, etc.

He certainly doesn't have the authentic Democrat vibe to him, more like a character from Homeland.

Seems about as reasonable as a theory that he is Kodos in disguise. 

5 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

Heard scott adams make an interesting point the other day, and I don't know if he has skeltons in his closet, but he said if Jones was running, where would he be in the polls?  He might well be leading with this field, he's an engaging orator

I was listening to CNN break down the chaos in Iowa last night and thought exactly this. He is an excellent speaker who doesn’t resort to partisan BS.

IIRC he was sunk in Obama’s administration by some “radical” views he had years ago. Will have to look it up later. 

Just now, Zow said:

Which is both understandable and silly at the same time given the handshake snub and the multiple grossly embarassing and downright mean tweets he puts out per week. 

To be fair, most of my left leaning friends said they were boycotting the speech so maybe they missed the shake and Trump should have been the bigger person and shook her hand both times.  He he had done that and tore up the speech, I might feel differently 

The President snubbing Speaker of the House for a handshake at the opening.  The Speaker of the House [un]ceremoniously ripping up copy of speech at the end.  People applauding both acts as valid and proper responses to perceived mistreatment.  Neat political climate/culture we have in this great country

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squistion said:

:lol:

https://www.newsweek.com/nancy-pelosi-tears-state-union-speech-after-address-it-was-courteous-thing-do-considering-1485751?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1580875562

NANCY PELOSI TEARS UP STATE OF THE UNION SPEECH AFTER ADDRESS: 'IT WAS THE COURTEOUS THING TO DO CONSIDERING THE ALTERNATIVES'

Shortly after President Donald Trump finished delivering the State of the Union address Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ripped her copy of the speech in half.

As Trump closed the speech, saying "Thank you. God bless you. God bless America," Pelosi, a Democratic congresswoman from California, stood up directly behind the president. She then straightened her copy of the speech by tapping it on the desk, brought it up to chest-level and tore it in half. She continued to do the same with more papers—presumably the second half of the 90-minute-long speech.

When asked why she ripped up the speech, Pelosi replied, "Because it was the courteous thing to do considering the alternatives," according to a video posted by Fox News producer Jason Donner.

Very immature for an 80 year old.  And I am voting for Bernie or whoever.

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

And both sides applaud their own behavior. Abhorent. 

Right. That's the infuriating part. 

I've been (and I suppose still him bc I haven't changed it) a registered Republican. Trump embarassed me the day he took the debate stage in the primary. 

Sad thing is that I see Pelosi and several posters in here have fallen for Trumps tactics.  Tearing that up and then applauding it is just what he would want.  Further divisiveness and anger towards each other.  Us vs. Them.  Oh well......

• Like 1

Just now, The General said:

I was listening to CNN break down the chaos in Iowa last night and thought exactly this. He is an excellent speaker who doesn’t resort to partisan BS.

IIRC he was sunk in Obama’s administration by some “radical” views he had years ago. Will have to look it up later. 

The few people I've talked to who have met him even who are ideologically opposite of him tend to like him personally.  He always tries to paint a realistic picture in his analysis.  He's open about which side he's on, but he's also an honest commentator.

• Like 1

Just now, That one guy said:

The President snubbing Speaker of the House for a handshake at the opening.  The Speaker of the House [un]ceremoniously ripping up copy of speech at the end.  People applauding both acts as valid and proper responses to perceived mistreatment.  Neat political climate/culture we have in this great country

The mystifying politics to me were the dems not applauding low unemployment overall and in many minority communities in particular.  That is naked, ugly stupid politics and the worst look of the night to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That one guy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

This should just be played on loop. 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Sand said:

I still want to know what the white coat women doing the three finger salute (way too close to a Nazi motion, IMO) were chanting there.  I couldn't hear it.

"HR3" apparently,  referencing a resolution to reduce prescription drug costs, already passed on to the Senate (doing nothing there).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Both sides is real.

I don't think the "snubbed" handshake was calculated or by design at all.  It looked like he wasn't expecting any hand shakes.  No shake for Pence either (although Pence didn't offer).  Trump handed off the folders and turned away.  I really do not think it was an intentional snub from watching the replay  :shrug:

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Galileo said:

I don't think the "snubbed" handshake was calculated or by design at all.  It looked like he wasn't expecting any hand shakes.  No shake for Pence either (although Pence didn't offer).  Trump handed off the folders and turned away.  I really do not think it was an intentional snub from watching the replay  :shrug:

I wasn't sure if he saw it or not.  If you watch the video he's turning before she extends her hand.  But maybe it was intentional, no clue.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Possibly. 

Assuming arguendo Trump didn't see the hand extended, do you think he would have shaken her hand if he did see it?

4 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

The mystifying politics to me were the dems not applauding low unemployment overall and in many minority communities in particular.  That is naked, ugly stupid politics and the worst look of the night to me.

Underemployment. I'm glad that they didn't.

51 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

She is such a joke, his approval will continue to skyrocket. Who would want to associate themselves with her childish behavior. 

Gallup Up to 49% which is about as high as he will ever get

• Laughing 2

11 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Yeah, you can't make this stuff up.