What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

When did they switch - I haven't listened to commercial radio in a long time, so must have missed it.
I don't really listen to commercial radio either but it's been about 20 years. They went to "Hot Talk" around 2000 which was all shock jocks, and have changed formats a number of times since then. I think they're adult contemporary now.  :X

The classic rock station in NY these days is 104.3

When I was in HS the alternative station was WDRE and K rock

ETA: and Seton Hall radio when you were lucky enough to get it to come in 

Last edited by a moderator:
and what the #### is Richard Neer gonna do with all those Beatle wigs??!?  (wonder if he still sits in on the FAN?).
He's on the FAN still as a fill in on weekends - the most bland sports talk guy out there. I'm shocked he's stuck around there so long because he doesn't fit in at all.

let's not forget 'FMU and 'FDU ...  both were free form tilters to the edgier stuff

Seton Hall was metal since the 80s.

I "won" tickets to see a lot of shows in late 80s/early 90s including Metallica and Kings X by being "the 10th caller" without actually calling in. Imagine the scandal when I was at the shows with the DJ that was giving away the tickets on air.  :D  

WNEW was awesome though. I enjoyed listening to Pete Fornatell, Meg Griffin and Dennis Elsis

And who didnt want to get the led out with Aliision Steele

I "won" tickets to see a lot of shows in late 80s/early 90s including Metallica and Kings X by being "the 10th caller" without actually calling in. Imagine the scandal when I was at the shows with the DJ that was giving away the tickets on air.  :D  
Hmm, maybe I was confusing them with when I got into hardcore and punk. My bad peeps. Did you go to the anniversary show at the Asbury park convention center. I was there

Talk of radio stations does bring up an interesting point

I dont know all of the songs that have been drafted. Its a bit before my time (born in 77)

However, I am familiar with most of them. If these songs were not played on commercial radio (in NY we are talking NEW, PLJ, HOT 97 and Z100) then where did I hear these songs. I did not move to the suburbs until 1987 so we didnt have MTV

I dont know all of the songs that have been drafted. Its a bit before my time (born in 77)

However, I am familiar with most of them. If these songs were not played on commercial radio (in NY we are talking NEW, PLJ, HOT 97 and Z100) then where did I hear these songs. I did not move to the suburbs until 1987 so we didnt have MTV
Locally they were on WLIR which was the punk, New Wave, alternative station at the time - and of course they were MTV staples.

76. “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” The Police (1980, from Zenyatta Mondatta

https://youtu.be/KNIZofPB8ZM

I’m forced to deduct a few points for a bit of pretentiousness- “Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov”- ooh you guys are so well read! Lolita, hey I’m impressed! Lol

Other than that a flawless classic of the time period. I had this high school teacher who complained bitterly about it too: “In my day we were all about I Want to Hold Your Hand. You guys are Don’t Stand So Close to Me!” She blamed Reagan. 
Live from 1980. I :wub:  Andy's guitar synth solo in this. And it's more evidence that nobody ever hit a drum harder than Stewart Copleland.

Z100 was hysterical with their hypes ... i remember when "Safety Dance" broke, they played it every 20 minutes, literally ("YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO HEAR IT 3 TIMES AN HOUR!!!" :lmao: ) ... same with "Billie Jean", "Take on Me" ... and, ferchrissakes, "Do They Know it's Christmas?" was 4 times an hour, i #### you NOT!

I think a lot of these songs so far are pretty accessible - with the '80s genre having become so ubiquitous, they've become commonplace on SiriusXM, TV, movie soundtracks, etc. 

I grew up in Philly, and the 2 main rock stations, WMMR and WYSP both played The Cars. Philly didn't real have an alternative station, or, if they did, I didn't know about it.

Did Columbia and NYU have stations worth listening to back then?

Lol

I think I was listening to an industrial revolution show they would have.

Anyhow...they were giving away an import CD of some band from some euro country.  So I tried calling.

Ring......

Oh baby!

Sorry, youre caller #3

Crap!

Ring...whoa..I got through again

Sorry, you're called #7

Ughhh

Ring...whoa...am I getting through again???

Sorry, you're called #9

God dammmmit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Columbia and NYU have stations worth listening to back then?
NYU had the absolute best underground rap show out there. Stretch and Bobbito. If you even liked hip hop a little, you listened to these guys. I have an unknown number of cassettes at my parents house with their shows. Only problem was that it didnt start until like midnight or 1. It was tough catch them every week. 

There is a documentary about them on Netflix I think. Let me see if I can find the name of it

Funny thing is, I don't recall any alternative music shows that they played. I mean, they had to of but I didnt listen to it  

Users who are viewing this thread