What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

The classic rock station in NY these days is 104.3

When I was in HS the alternative station was WDRE and K rock

ETA: and Seton Hall radio when you were lucky enough to get it to come in 

Locally they were on WLIR which was the punk, New Wave, alternative station at the time - and of course they were MTV staples.
WLIR became WDRE fwiw. Both were THE New Wave/Alternative stations in the NYC Area. Their "Screamer of the Week" (became Shriek of the Week") brought us new music, usually from across the pond. That was in the days when imports came in once a week on vinyl and WLIR listeners were desperate for the latest Smiths, Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode, Psyc Furs, Elvis...

more importantly, sorry to hear about your loss, Tim. 

along those lines ...

Forever Young - Alphaville

'sitting in a sand pit/life is a short trip/the music's for the sad man'

condolences out to you, Tim, and to all family and friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
There it is. Seeing them April 15th. I have a soft spot for the remake of this song for the Pretty in Pink soundtrack (which is pretty good). Definitely not my favorite Psych Furs song, but sure. 

ETA: Believe it or not, my first real date was seeing this movie. Her name was Rosalind.  :wub:
Lived in Milan Italy for a long ttle stretch in the late 80s, right near the castello and park. The Furs played a may day festival gig in the courtyard of the castello (where my pensione Donna laid out midday with cucumbers over her eyes and one of those metal reflectors under her chin). May day meant communists and anarchists and yeah, all three of them showed up. I brought my friends and did my best to add crowd energy to a mid day crickets tumble weeds show. But singer (Butler?) slayed and went all out while wearing a Reagan mask. Gave me a hug and thanks afterwards.

The best thing going for "Don't Stand" is that it has not been overplayed to death like the rest of their catalog. 
It hasn't? 

horrible flick, and, i'll know i'll be in the minority here (i think?), but Ducky was one of the most obnoxious little twits ever to trouble daylight ... talk about "punchable face"  :boxing:   i was rooting for Henke/Spader/Steph to kick his ####in' whiny ### all up n' down that hallway ... but, yeah, Hughes wasn't gonna play that ####, was he?

ps - obnoxious twit, yes ... but nowhere NEAR the level of that tvvat waffle Bueller.
All the likes. Hated Ferris and hated ducky. Both selfish, whiney #######s

The classic rock station in NY these days is 104.3

When I was in HS the alternative station was WDRE and K rock

ETA: and Seton Hall radio when you were lucky enough to get it to come in 

let's not forget 'FMU and 'FDU ...  both were free form tilters to the edgier stuff
Even more all the likes! Wfmu was my jam for 20 years...still listen to it when I'm in a car. Best ecclectic combo of music out there. Had my regular DJs/shows, Won some good concert tickets, the call in show on Sundays embarrassed the #### out of a teacher (and me) I was using as a work reference . the theme that day was they'd call the people to make sure you were getting a good reference...pretty great idea, except they started making insane #### up about my resume...and my studio critic, the most effusively positive Italian woman, covered for all of them!

Sorry everyone my dad passed away this morning so I will be taking a hiatus from the FFA. I will try to return to this in a week or two. 
Oh Tim... So sorry to hear this. All the move from NYC to you and your family. :(

eta...love. love, not move. But you can have the move too.

Did Columbia and NYU have stations worth listening to back then?
Columbia was my alma mater... They were known for jazz, but definitely not new music. Everything else was student driven and laughable. A friend dj-ed a midweek overnight spot. Fell asleep during fela kuti ... Had people calling the station and ultimately 911 after it was nothing but the needle scraping the edge of the record for hours. He was woken up by firemen.

In memory of Tim's dad...

Pictures of you - The Cure

(I know it may not fit for a father but I have always liked this song for losing someone close to your heart)
Condolences for Tim and his family.  

More fitting song may be  'Just Like Heaven' but my fav Cure song is 'Inbetween Days' for a beautiful girl who looked like Jackeline Bisset and turned me onto the Cure with that song.  

In memory of Tim's dad...

Pictures of you - The Cure

(I know it may not fit for a father but I have always liked this song for losing someone close to your heart)
In similar vein, All Because of You Days by Echo and the Bunnymen is a perfect goodbye, heartache, reminiscent song.  

All the likes. Hated Ferris and hated ducky. Both selfish, whiney #######s
:wub:  

:hifive:

i had a feeling i wasn't alone on this ... matter of fact, the further we are removed from both of those twits (some 34 years now), the more evident their respective DOOOOOSH NOZZLE personas come to the fore.  

Even more all the likes! Wfmu was my jam for 20 years...still listen to it when I'm in a car. Best ecclectic combo of music out there. Had my regular DJs/shows, Won some good concert tickets, the call in show on Sundays embarrassed the #### out of a teacher (and me) I was using as a work reference . the theme that day was they'd call the people to make sure you were getting a good reference...pretty great idea, except they started making insane #### up about my resume...and my studio critic, the most effusively positive Italian woman, covered for all of them!
:lmao:

aahhhhh, man ... 'FMU was the #### - free form out the wazoo, and very interactive!

my drinking Saturday's would kick off with the jungle/swamp/garage rock show, started at 2 - great way to pregame- playing the most eclectic rock/surf/punk/psych nuggets/rockabilly/psychobilly/outlaw country/etc - perfect soundtrack to marinate a booze buzz ...

... then WildGirl would follow - hot rods, broads, grease, tiki, pomps, poodle skirtz, fishnets, chains, burnin' rubber ... stacked with the most obscure playlist on the dial. 

got to meet her at a record fair/charity gig they were sponsoring in Jersey ... unfortunately, i attended with my gf at the time (circa summer '93) - but Wildgirl was more than accomodating to my fanboi schtick ... it was bizarre - drunken, punkin', greased lightnin' chicanery  :headbang:

best memory, though, was when Strummer was in studio ... they were doing a remote from Jersey City, so i hopped a tube and got over PD ####in' Q ... but just missed him!  i did, however, score an artifact that i will post up in here once i get home.  

Buying tickets to the Cruel World festival tomorrow:

quite the 80's lineup
It’ll be interesting to see if Moz actually performs. Would love to see Devo, Gary Numan, and Christian Death. I’ve seen Bauhaus live before and they were awesome. If I were going to be anywhere near this show, I would be in.

ETA: Forgot Marc Almond 

otb_lifer said:
aahhhhh, man ... 'FMU was the #### - free form out the wazoo, and very interactive!
It's quite ironic 'FMU is so "intelligent" when it broadcasts out of one of the biggest hell-holes on the Planet.  You have a better chance of getting killed on the streets of East Orange than in Beirut.

It's quite ironic 'FMU is so "intelligent" when it broadcasts out of one of the biggest hell-holes on the Planet.  You have a better chance of getting killed on the streets of East Orange than in Beirut.
my father passed in the V.A. hospital over there some 42 yrs ago ... going three or so blocks in any direction would either wind ya up in a toney 'hood or the "hell holes" ... much like the City, but a tad more pastora.l

otb_lifer said:
best memory, though, was when Strummer was in studio ... they were doing a remote from Jersey City, so i hopped a tube and got over PD ####in' Q ... but just missed him!  i did, however, score an artifact that i will post up in here once i get home.  
said   artifact

second pic is the vial containing the Saranac - still wrapped, i never broke the seal or even opened the plastic. 

The Killing Moon is way too low. I got to see Squeeze last September. Dave Grohl jumped in and made a cameo on drums. That is all.
Saw them in Milwaukee last 9/1. I was absolutely amazed at how good they were. Going to Hall and Oates in August just to see them opening. Definitely one of the best shows I’ve seen in a very long time.

Heard another song on first wave today that was covered by an extremely popular 90s band. Add it to the list of songs I didnt know were covers

Metro (Allaline Trio) and this one (popular 90s band that would ruin it if I said which one)

Redmond has been excommunicated. But he wants everybody to know that BAD is pretty neat. Like, super duper neato.

Eta... I think that's what he said. He also said he dresses up like them and lives his life according the lessons learned from the lyrics of come on every beatbox, primarily, "Get your digital watches in synchronization".

So I was listening to a bunch of Peter Gabriel over the weekend. Does his early stuff qualify as "new wave"?
As the board's biggest PG fan - i saw Genesis's American debut @ Brandeis College in '72 - let me clear this up.

Peter Gabriel, along with Prince, was the greatest star of the New Wave era and was most definitely New Wave but was not the star of the New Wave because he represented more than New Wave (as did Prince)

Here's what happened: After Genesis, Gabriel made four brilliant but uneven semi-prog records. In the last of these, guitarist David Rhodes & bassist Tony Levin became prominent, as well as longtime members of his touring band, and talked Gabriel into arranging all his solo material into a singular, leaner (New Wave, one could say) vision which threw away the experimentation and got to the heart of the songs. The result was the album, Peter Gabriel Plays Live, the recording i have listened to more than any other - probably more than my 2-5 combined - and the one that "found" his sound. His next studio album, So, the best of the era, reflected this and included what i consider the foundation of New Wave - heightening genre songs, as he did w R&B in "Sledgehammer".

"Shock the Monkey" and "Games Without Frontiers" are genre defying, innovative, genius masterpieces - both should find a home in any top 50 of this ('78-'85) era Timmy's citing ... New Wave be damned. 
Used to ease into an over night disc jockey gig to live version of Shock the Monkey,  perfect segway to anything that was cued up and gave me time to go over playlist and pull albums.  

No, not Genesis. Peter Gabriel Genesis is definitely not New Wave.
You getting Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel mixed up?

As the board's biggest PG fan - i saw Genesis's American debut @ Brandeis College in '72 - let me clear this up.

Peter Gabriel, along with Prince, was the greatest star of the New Wave era and was most definitely New Wave but was not the star of the New Wave because he represented more than New Wave (as did Prince)

Here's what happened: After Genesis, Gabriel made four brilliant but uneven semi-prog records. In the last of these, guitarist David Rhodes & bassist Tony Levin became prominent, as well as longtime memebers of his touring band, and talked Gabriel into arranging all his solo material into a singular, leaner (New Wave, one could say) vision which threw away the experimentation and got to the heart of the songs. The result was the album, Peter Gabriel Plays Live, the recording i have listened to more than any other - probably more than my 2-5 combined - and the one that "found" his sound. His next studio album, So, the best of the era, reflected this and included what i consider the foundation of New Wave - heightening genre songs, as he did w R&B in "Sledgehammer".
Oh come on,  I thought you said you knew something about PG.😉  

In addition to the music Gabriel put out one of the best 80 music videos IMHO.  >> Peter Gabriel - Big Time

Used to ease into an over night disc jockey gig to live version of Shock the Monkey,  perfect segway to anything that was cued up and gave me time to go over playlist and pull albums.  

You getting Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel mixed up?

Oh come on,  I thought you said you knew something about PG.😉  

In addition to the music Gabriel put out one of the best 80 music videos IMHO.  >> Peter Gabriel - Big Time
Peter Gabriel Genesis is less New Wave than Phil Collins (lead singer) Genesis. So, no, I am not getting them mixed up.

Peter Gabriel Genesis is less New Wave than Phil Collins (lead singer) Genesis. So, no, I am not getting them mixed up.
Lol you can't sususudio without covering the Supremes can't hurry love while jumping the shark flying round the world to overexpose yourself on Live Aid. 

Collins started very strong but in the 80s went for popularity wound up having more pop than Orville Reddebocker.

Lol you can't sususudio without covering the Supremes can't hurry love while jumping the shark flying round the world to overexpose yourself on Live Aid.
I expected this run on sentence to end with "take that to the bank brohans" and then saw this wasn't part of an SMC schtick post ;)

Collins started very strong but in the 80s went for popularity wound up having more pop than Orville Reddebocker.
Being a prog rock fan, I obviously liked Genesis more before they went more pop oriented. Collins, though, was a great drummer and a great lead singer. After Gabriel left they still put out some really good prog rock, Trick of the Tale is still one of my favorite albums. And as pop music goes, Genesis in the 80's put out some decent songs that I liked. So I don't begrudge them becoming popular and making a bejillion dollars.

Being a prog rock fan, I obviously liked Genesis more before they went more pop oriented. Collins, though, was a great drummer and a great lead singer. After Gabriel left they still put out some really good prog rock, Trick of the Tale is still one of my favorite albums. And as pop music goes, Genesis in the 80's put out some decent songs that I liked. So I don't begrudge them becoming popular and making a bejillion dollars.
Trick has long been my favorite Genesis, and easily one of my favorite prog albums period. It is my late night road trip music. But the bands shift on Abacab is some underrated New Wave. Much of what wikkid said about PG, applies to that album for me. I can't write like him, but this was the comment on a ranking of the band's albums.

Lots of ‘70s prog bands tried to reboot themselves for the ‘80s, but nobody did it better than Genesis ... at least for one album. Though subsequent releases would bring diminishing returns, 'Abacab' was a triumph. Against all odds, the trio totally reinvented itself, taking on the influence of the New Wave era and jettisoning all the ‘70s prog-rock excess. The place they ended up was an uncharted new paradigm that worked shockingly well and brought them loads of new fans in the bargain.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/genesis-albums-ranked/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

73. “Turning Japanese” The Vapors (1980, from New Clear Days

https://youtu.be/IWWwM2wwMww

People who read my one hit wonder countdown know about my undying love for this band (who incidentally resurfaced last year after nearly 4 decades!) That first album is chalk full of pop classics like “News at Ten”, “Spring Collection”, and “Waiting for the Weekend”. But of course they are almost entirely remembered only for this radio hit which is pretty awesome all by itself. 

73. “Turning Japanese” The Vapors (1980, from New Clear Days

https://youtu.be/IWWwM2wwMww

People who read my one hit wonder countdown know about my undying love for this band (who incidentally resurfaced last year after nearly 4 decades!) That first album is chalk full of pop classics like “News at Ten”, “Spring Collection”, and “Waiting for the Weekend”. But of course they are almost entirely remembered only for this radio hit which is pretty awesome all by itself. 
Welcome back, Tim. Hope all is well with you and your family.

As for the song, I still like to go with this interpretation:

The repeated lyrical refrain of "I think I'm turning Japanese" was widely believed by Americans to describe an orgasm induced by masturbating,[7]but actually was intended to describe teen angstor alienation after a romantic breakup.

Welcome back, Tim. Hope all is well with you and your family.

As for the song, I still like to go with this interpretation:

The repeated lyrical refrain of "I think I'm turning Japanese" was widely believed by Americans to describe an orgasm induced by masturbating,[7]but actually was intended to describe teen angstor alienation after a romantic breakup.
Meh, that's whack. 

Users who are viewing this thread