Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears

2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Wow. Didn't even occur to me that Elvis Costello would be on this list. Not saying he shouldn't - just didn't think of him.

Interesting - I had Elvis pegged front and center for New Wave.

• Like 5

Just now, zamboni said:

Interesting - I had Elvis pegged front and center for New Wave.

Yea I think you are right. Just a big oversight on my part. And I like Elvis quite a bit. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Damone said:

Drops the n word in relationship with the Irish . Kind of politically incorrect is putting it mildly 

Agreed. I like this song, despite not being a big Costello fan, but I am shocked that he gets a pass for dropping the n-word like that. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Agreed. I like this song, despite not being a big Costello fan, but I am shocked that he gets a pass for dropping the n-word like that. 

Different time AND it wasn't HIS sentiment.  see Bob Dylan's Hurricane recorded a few years earlier for similar usage, intent, and lack of blowback

51 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

can't think of a band that's more New Wave, so there's that

I had never heard of them before new wave hit.  Thought they fit right in.... :shrug:

• Like 1

kinda funny to see Jonathan Richman & Elvis Costello cited on the same page, because i hated Elvis (who's now in my Pantheon, if not on my Rushmore) for the first couple of years he was out simply because his slack-jawed whinyness reminded me so much of Richman - the scourge of the Boston music scene when i was part of it and the most punchable person in music

• Love 1

Saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions back in November. It was a great show. Didn’t realize he just won a Grammy.

His cutting edge synth sound paved the way for so many New Wave bands. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

Different time AND it wasn't HIS sentiment.  see Bob Dylan's Hurricane recorded a few years earlier for similar usage, intent, and lack of blowback

I’m not a Dylan fan, so I’m not familiar with that. Roger Waters used some slurs on The Wall (not the n-word, but a few that are not nice) as well, in the context of the Pink character. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I believe the term is referring to Irish Catholics which he was brought up as. In the context of the song’s lyrics and his own culture, I think it’s okay.

Costello also called Ray Charles "a blind, drunk n*****", which caused him all kinds of problems for a while.

• Thinking 1

35 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Costello also called Ray Charles "a blind, drunk n*****", which caused him all kinds of problems for a while.

In the same bar altercation he also called James Brown a "jive ### n*****" and when asked about it Brown's response was something like "They have been saying that for years and I don't care what people call me as long as they buy my record." 

Edited by squistion

30 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

And deservedly so.  Costello apologized at the time and admitted that he was drunk and attempting to live up to his bad boy image when he said that to Stephen Stills one night that they found themselves in the same bar while touring America separately.  To my knowledge Stephen Stills has NEVER apologized for writing and disseminating is catchy paean to marital infidelity - Love the One You're With ;) 

Edited by Morton Muffley

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

I’m not a Dylan fan, so I’m not familiar with that. Roger Waters used some slurs on The Wall (not the n-word, but a few that are not nice) as well, in the context of the Pink character. 

All of Rubin's cards were marked in advance
The trial was a pig-circus, he never had a chance
The judge made Rubin's witnesses drunkards from the slums
To the white folks who watched he was a revolutionary bum
And to the black folks he was just a crazy ######
No one doubted that he pulled the trigger

Edited by Dr. Octopus

This list happens and I'm head over heels.....

• Like 1

Just now, ScottNorwood said:

This list happens and I'm head over heels.....

i sob when i'm scared :cry:

2 hours ago, Mike Damone said:

Awesome album, song and band . David Robinson of the Cars and Jerry Harrison of the talking heads

I’m Straight  - favorite song by them

The song and performance that turned me on to him was this one on Conan back in the day...

https://youtu.be/XjFU98mEem4

2 hours ago, squistion said:

Here tis 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2iLAubras

Pablo Picasso

The Modern Lovers

Well some people try to pick up girls
And get called #######s
This never happened to Pablo Picasso
He could walk down your street
And girls could not resist his stare and
So Pablo Picasso was never called an #######

From post-punk like Pablo Picasso and Roadrunner (2 chords and an attitude!) to the song I linked above, to his country album, which I think is so great. 
https://youtu.be/ysaBHTwazjk

• Like 1

Good list so far.  Some of the songs, though, I expected to be WAYYY higher. 

78. “The Killing Moon” Echo & The Bunnymen (1984, from Ocean Rain)

https://youtu.be/LWz0JC7afNQ

These guys always intrigued me because I felt their melodies were a little more complex than the typical New Wave band. Like so many others of the era they emerged suddenly with a string of radio hits, and then disappeared just as quickly. Though several songs were quite listenable, IMO “The Killing Moon” was the best of their efforts. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

79. “Oliver’s Army” Elvis Costello & The Attractions (1979, from Armed Forces

https://youtu.be/LrjHz5hrupA

Don’t start Elvis talking; he could talk all night. This was one of his most melodic tunes, with lyrics almost Dylanesque in their obscurity (though some are quite politically incorrect: “London is full of Arabs” as a complaint hasn’t aged well and wasn’t a good sentiment in 1979- but it may be deep satire ala Randy Newman.) Nonetheless quite brilliant.  

Declan was a fella i was strugglin' with seeing here ... but, admittedly, he was the face slapped on the very earliest hours of this "genre" ... the geeky, awkward, knock-kneed cat in huge specs ... one of my favorite lines about him came from Diamond Dave: "all the music critics love Elvis Costello because they all look like Elvis Costello" 

hey, don't shoot the ####in' messenger, ya hear?

the Attractions were as tight an outfit as was out there ... right up alongside Squeeze, imo, for pure brilliance behind this chap. 

he's a legit behemoth of the era, no taking that away ... "Oliver's Army" is scathing - absolutely love it - would go in a few different directions than i assume are coming further up the countdown, but ... Elvis is quantum. 

a treasure, even  - can't wait to chuck my honorable mentions up in this mutha.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, timschochet said:

These guys always intrigued me because I felt their melodies were a little more complex than the typical New Wave band. Like so many others of the era they emerged suddenly with a string of radio hits, and then disappeared just as quickly. Though several songs were quite listenable, IMO “The Killing Moon” was the best of their efforts. 

They're still touring with 13 studio albums . Anyone here know what/who Echo is/are?

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Quintessential new wave. This is definitely their best track but have many other really good ones. I would’ve had it higher if I made a list but, then again, my likely inclusion of 25 Smiths songs in my top 100 might’ve pushed it down to here ;) 

Edited by joey

2 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

They're still touring with 13 studio albums . Anyone here know what/who Echo is/are?

There were a group of 4-5 songs I used to listen to from these guys. Always like the guitar from Will Sargent.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Great under appreciated band. Second best band to emerge out of Liverpool.

Didn’t realize this from Wiki: “The chords of the song were based on David Bowie's "Space Oddity", played backwards.”

• Like 2

Echo was the name of the drum machine iirc

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

Ian McCulloch is the #### 

His solo stuff and song with 808 State (anyone else a fan?) is pretty good imo.

Echo was a drum machine fwiw.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Echo was the name of the drum machine iirc

Winner

5 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Second best band to emerge out of Liverpool

confirmed:

your 'pudlian flow stack ...

Dead or Alive > Echo > Wombats > Flock of 'Gulls > Frankie > Beatles > OMD > Hooton Tennis Club > Billy Fury > Cilla Black

• Thinking 1

45 minutes ago, timschochet said:

top 25 song for me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osaurus said:

YES

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

confirmed:

Dead or Alive > Echo > Wombats > Flock of 'Gulls > Frankie > Beatles > OMD > Hooton Tennis Club > Billy Fury > Cilla Black

Saw them open for Weezer with the Pixies a couple of years ago. I like them. Didn't know who they were or why people were wearing Joy Division shirts at the show. Now I get it.

Edited by Osaurus

2 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

confirmed:

:wub:

• Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Leftfield?

36 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Top 10 song of the 80s decade for me

2018 release of The Killing Moon(transformed) by Echo & the Bunnymen

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Leftfield?

:yes:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

79. “Oliver’s Army” Elvis Costello & The Attractions (1979, from Armed Forces

https://youtu.be/LrjHz5hrupA

Don’t start Elvis talking; he could talk all night. This was one of his most melodic tunes, with lyrics almost Dylanesque in their obscurity (though some are quite politically incorrect: “London is full of Arabs” as a complaint hasn’t aged well and wasn’t a good sentiment in 1979- but it may be deep satire ala Randy Newman.) Nonetheless quite brilliant.  

You sure about that? Isn't that the kind of thing people complained about when they voted for Brexit? 

36 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

confirmed:

Rory Storm and the Hurricanes down?

Edited by zamboni

16 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

You sure about that? Isn't that the kind of thing people complained about when they voted for Brexit? 

I wouldn't say it was politically correct of them to have done so.

13 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I wouldn't say it was politically correct of them to have done so.

I won't get political here- just think that comment is something one would here in pubs all over the country even today. 

32 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Rory Storm and the Hurricanes down?

... down a drummer, yes 

*badumm TISSS*

• Like 2

77. “Everything Counts” Depeche Mode (1983, from Construction Time Again)

https://youtu.be/1t-gK-9EIq4

A classic song for the Bernie Sanders fans out there! Only these guys could find a way to dance to the prospect of corporate greed. And the use of various world instruments is great. These guys were masters. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

77. “Everything Counts” Depeche Mode (1983, from Construction Time Again)

https://youtu.be/1t-gK-9EIq4

A classic song for the Bernie Sanders fans out there! Only these guys could find a way to dance to the prospect of corporate greed. And the use of various world instruments is great. These guys were masters. 

Great album and a great song. Says a lot about the music industry yesterday and today. 

1 hour ago, Mike Damone said:

Echo was replaced 

Poor machine didn't hear about it till later.

• Like 2

I only saw Echo and bmen when they were touring bigger clubs for the ocean rain tour...saw most of the bands listed and to be listed at small, walk up to the stage type venues.

But McCulloch and band commanded the bigger stage (even if he spent most of the show silhouetted) and played louder than any band I've seen, which I wouldn't have guessed. 

I know we all appreciate them, but they have a fantastic catalog of songs and records..really consistent and great 

Huh. Another DM song I'm not loving.