What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (5 Viewers)

As most of you already know, this period of music is in my wheelhouse. I discovered many of these artists living in Milwaukee after moving from Philly in 1987 (I was 14). One of my biggest regrets is being unaware of it at an earlier age. I missed some good stuff in its prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
97. “Words” Missing Persons (1982, from Spring Sessions M)

https://youtu.be/IasCZL072fQ

I wonder, watching this video for the first time in many years, if Lady Gaga saw it once or twice and took a few notes? Anyhow, nobody I know in rock/pop history was ever able to squeak quite like Dale Bozzio (the Los Angeles Times’ Robert Hilburn used to affectionately refer to her as “Bozzio the Clown”.) Great song. 

I wonder, watching this video for the first time in many years, if Lady Gaga saw it once or twice and took a few notes? Anyhow, nobody I know in rock/pop history was ever able to squeak quite like Dale Bozzio (the Los Angeles Times’ Robert Hilburn used to affectionately refer to her as “Bozzio the Clown”.) Great song. 
hope to see her walking further up the countdown  :wub:

I love this song.   My youngest son and I will shtick it up when this comes on with wifey in the car and sing it to her every time.   

Song is ok.   Video is great.  

Blade on KROQ in the 80's was  :moneybag:
Word up.

Not sure how much you get down this way nowadays but KROQ absolutely SUCKS now.  It's "all Nirvana, all the time" basically.

I don't even listen to FM radio much anymore.  If I do it's classical or KRTH for "oldies".  

Word up.

Not sure how much you get down this way nowadays but KROQ absolutely SUCKS now.  It's "all Nirvana, all the time" basically.

I don't even listen to FM radio much anymore.  If I do it's classical or KRTH for "oldies".  
KTCL in Denver suffered the same fate. Wasn’t as huge as KROQ (way smaller market), but they used to do artist block weekends once a month which were fantastic.  

of course ... see my earlier post(s)  :thumbup:

[Joy Division] have no ####in business being on a "New Wave" countdown. 
Upon the release of Closer, Joy Division was transitioning to something recognizably new wave, IMHO. Ian Curtis may have kept the other members' poppier tendencies a little bit in check ... but maybe not. Curtis did co-write "Love Will Tear Us Apart", after all.

Upon the release of Closer, Joy Division was transitioning to something recognizably new wave, IMHO. Ian Curtis may have kept the other members' poppier tendencies a little bit in check ... but maybe not. Curtis did co-write "Love Will Tear Us Apart", after all.
"Love" is no more New Wave than "Seattle" or "Rise" by PiL ... no question New Order went in a different direction, but Joy Division is the epitome of post punk.  that's a band that cannot be blurred, imo. 

Love Will Tear Us Apart is close enough to being New Wave to qualify, IMHO.

98. "Hold Me Now"- Thompson Twins (1983, from Into the Gap)

https://youtu.be/H9694K85Xc8

This British Trio had a number of pleasant hits between 1982 and 1985, when they seemed to disappear forever. "Hold Me Now" was the most pleasant of these pleasant hits. It's still very catchy with a latin percussion. The lyrics are trite, but unlike the Bob Dylan countdown I just did, lyrics are not going to be a huge feature of this list. I like to hum along.
One of those songs I dont really like but will randomly shout out HOLD ME NOW at random moments in my day for no apparent rhyme or reason. 

Word up.

Actually have a flight exactly a week from this very moment to OC for four days.  Haven't listened to KROQ for 15-20 years.

Love Will Tear Us Apart is close enough to being New Wave to qualify, IMHO.
It’s interesting to listen to New Order’s Movement album. They clearly still have their Joy Division identity and all the lyrics on every song could have easily been sung by Ian. Power, Corruption & Lies clearly reflects a change in direction imo.  

ETA: if anyone hasn’t seen the Decades documentary and is a fan, I highly recommend it. I saw New Order a few weeks ago in Miami and they still embrace their Joy Division roots. 3rd song was Joy Division’s Disorder and the encore was Atmosphere and LWTUA. That’s definitive imo. 

"Love" is no more New Wave than "Seattle" or "Rise" by PiL ... no question New Order went in a different direction, but Joy Division is the epitome of post punk.  that's a band that cannot be blurred, imo. 
It's not a perfect comparison because a) of Curtis' death and b) of the fact that new wave had many parents ... but I can make a case that Warsaw/Joy Division's role as a progenitor to new wave has a lot in common with Earth/Black Sabbath's (up to Paranoid) role as a progenitor to metal.

I forgot about that Missing Persons song.  Was never a fan. 

Some of Duran Duran's songs have aged really well for me, but not sure Girls on Film is one of them. 

I like some Depeche Mode tunes. People are People is solid. 

Hold Me Now was a song I was a big fan of back in 1984. I still like it, but I rarely reach for it anymore. 

Never thought of Thompson Twins in the new wave genre like some of the others we'll see - more like synth pop. But it's such a blurred line across genres.
I'm with otb here...smack dab in the middle of the classic new wave gum.

As most of you already know, this period of music is in my wheelhouse. I discovered many of these artists living in Milwaukee after moving from Philly in 1987 (I was 14). One of my biggest regrets is being unaware of it at an earlier age. I missed some good stuff in its prime.
As a bunch of middle age white geezers, 80s anything is in most of our wheelhouse.

At the expense of spotlighting, was always a bigger fan of Mental Hopscotch.

Great tune. Definitely my favorite picked so far...and I like girls on film a lot.

Eta...[otb] hey...that's post-punk![/otb]

I think of post punk being artsy and new wave poppy & agree with your assessment 

Every song picked so far is quintessential New Wave in my opinion, and WLIR listeners would likely agree. 
I predict 3 more songs from each Depeche and Duran make the top 100. Maybe 1 more Thompson Twins, XTC and Missing Persons songs. 

as for missing persons, one of the greatest group of musicians to be in a new wave band, with Bozzio on drums and a few others from Zappa's band. "US Drag" by missing persons is a crazy 6/4 time signature tune that’s really tough to play. I remember trying to keep up with that on drums around the same time I was trying to play songs from Rush's Signals album, much to my neighbor's chagrin. 

Just about any tune from drums and wires, black sea or English settlement works for me. Pretty stunning run. And I know I'm in the minority thinking they tailed off a lot after settlement, but I'm sure a lot of people would include the next couple too, epsecially skylarking.

I even like that 25 o'clock psychadelic thing they did in the middle of all that.

96. “Making Plans for Nigel” XTC (1979, from Drums and Wires)

https://youtu.be/s29RKnB7l7o

This was XTC’s breakthrough hit. Apparently British Steel actually used it to promote their company, maybe missing the point that Nigel’s job there is not exactly a positive and that the entire lyric varies between satire and creepy. But after all, they only wanted what was best for him...
Good one Tim!   Finally one I like😉

I've become a huge fan XTC in the last two years, but their first three albums are more miss than hit for me.  I thought Making Plans for Nigel was mediocre the first time I heard it, but I've come around to liking it.  They have a million better songs, but this isn't a bad choice for this countdown considering it was their first real hit. 

This is awesome Tim ... Mrs. Punk and I are in for the long haul. Great start and already bringing back some fun memories.

I like this countdown, genre arguments and all.

I love "Girls on Film." I'm with Bill Hicks on that. That might be a top ten new wave song for me. Duran Duran was seriously underrated -- of course, that's when I was pre-pubescent. I didn't come of age with New Wave, it was about five years ahead of my cognizance of pop culture. But they were at least palatable on the radio when so many others weren't and unlike many other acts, they had lasting power.

Also, "Words" is a very cool tune, IMHO.

100. Girls on Film - Duran Duran 👍
  99. People are People - Depeche Mode 👍
  98. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins 👍
  97. Words - Missing Persons 👍
  96. Making Plans for Nigel - XTC :thumbdown:  (breaking ranks with most here, I think this does qualify as New Wave but I also hate it)

100. Girls on Film - Duran Duran 

Iconic, would be higher on my list

99. People are People - Depeche Mode 

There are at least 10 other DM songs I would rank higher, have seen them in concert 3 times, amazing live

98. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins 

Was never a fan, among the most overrated bands of the decade

97. Words - Missing Persons

Nice pull, great band

96. Making Plans for Nigel - XTC 

meh, not my cup of tea

Anyhow, Gore always hated this song, which is about racism, because he thought its message was too unsubtle. Apparently they haven’t performed it live in over 30 years. I can’t understand...
Wow, always wondered why they didn't perform this live.  Good info here. :thumbup:

Anybody who says Joy Division is not New Wave should be banned from the thread.   Can I get a hell yeah?

96. “Making Plans for Nigel” XTC (1979, from Drums and Wires)

https://youtu.be/s29RKnB7l7o

This was XTC’s breakthrough hit. Apparently British Steel actually used it to promote their company, maybe missing the point that Nigel’s job there is not exactly a positive and that the entire lyric varies between satire and creepy. But after all, they only wanted what was best for him...
What a great band. This and Life Begins at the Hop are a couple of favorites from the earlier stuff. 

Just about any tune from drums and wires, black sea or English settlement works for me. Pretty stunning run. And I know I'm in the minority thinking they tailed off a lot after settlement, but I'm sure a lot of people would include the next couple too, epsecially skylarking.

I even like that 25 o'clock psychadelic thing they did in the middle of all that.
The Dukes of Stratosphear. 

"Hold Me Now" was the most pleasant of these pleasant hits.
I like Hold Me Now but I prefer this Thompson Twins song.  It's funny how a band like the Thompson Twins could be so big and are nothing now.  Few New Wave bands had staying power.  Most would have to play the county fair circuit if they wanted to tour.  Or they just do smaller venues in big cities for a few of their die hard fans.

Anybody who says Joy Division is not New Wave should be banned from the thread.   Can I get a hell yeah?
:ptts:

im'ma be up in here for as long as i can, budski ... matter of fact, if i throw genre bias out the window, and play this totally straight, viewing it as a net that encompasses acts like Joy Division/Cult/'Mats/Smiffs/Pixies/R.E.M./Cure/Police/etc ... well, it's gonna be worse, 'cuz i know there will be TONS of worthy tunes left out ... to wit, if i'm going by "all is fair game", none of the four already listed remotely sniff my top 100. 

conversely, viewing this thus far as a strictly New Wave countdown, i can get with the opening picks, somewhat .... i think DM is a gray area act, but, meh ... i can live them being considered - loathe the song that was chosen for them (not in my personal top 20 DM), but, it's Tim's call(s) here - and awaaaaaaay we go.

Eta...[otb] hey...that's post-punk![/otb]
doubt i'm spotlighting here, but if we gonna invite XTC erroneously to this gig, then we need this to be recognized ... again, if i am gonna cast the net that wide, that song goes into my top 100. 

ftr, no, i don't consider them New Wave ... so you're correct.

I think of post punk being artsy and new wave poppy & agree with your assessment 
we'll be eviscerated for "oversimplifying", but that kinda cuts right to it ... matter of fact, i know for damn sure the Jesus and Mary Chain ain't making this list (even with the large ### net cast), but they crafted amazing pop hooks ... if we allow all to the party, though, i'd hazard to guess at least 5 of their tunes should be here.  mind you, that's only using ONE band as an example ... point is, for as much pop sensibilities as they had, they drenched the earlier work in sonic feedback deliciousness, and kinda kept William Reid's violently fuzzy riffs as a template ... we pitch a huge tent, then they get at least a handful of seats.  doubt they pop up here, but, if they do, it'll be 'cuz the tune was used in a Bill Murray/Spike Jonze/ScarJo flick.  uggghhh. 

Would everyone be okay with calling this 80s Alternative? 
again, if it were strictly that route, nah .... none of the four chosen merit top 100. 

the seal is broken, can't put this genie back in the bottle. 

now, back to the fun!  awaiting today's nuggets!

:headbang:

I like Hold Me Now but I prefer this Thompson Twins song.  It's funny how a band like the Thompson Twins could be so big and are nothing now.  Few New Wave bands had staying power.  Most would have to play the county fair circuit if they wanted to tour.  Or they just do smaller venues in big cities for a few of their die hard fans.
I prefer the monarchy tune myself.  If I!

Users who are viewing this thread