What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts On Nancy Pelosi Ripping Up Speech? Hurt or Help? Over the Line? (1 Viewer)

Was Ripping Up The Speech "Over The Line"?

• I'm Pro Trump and it was Over the Line.

Votes: 24 16.3%
  • I'm Undecided and it was Over the Line

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • I'm Anti Trump and it was Over the Line

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I'm Pro Trump it was NOT Over the Line

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I'm Undecided and it was NOT Over the Line

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I'm Anti Trump and it was NOT over the Line

Votes: 45 30.6%

• Total voters
She ripped up paper. Its not like she took money from a kids with cancer charity. NOW we're supposed to worry about decorum? This entire administration has been over the line. I certainly wish we were better politically then we are, but here we are. Once again, the Dems are held to a higher standard than the president.

What lies?

I see this parroted by the haters. Even CNN acknowledged the speech rather than their usual bull#### "fact checking".
:confused:  

They did fact check it:

CNN‏ @CNN 15h15 hours ago

President Trump has given his annual State of the Union. Here's a fact check of his claims. #sotu

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/politics/fact-check-trump-state-of-the-union-2020/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-02-05T03%3A31%3A28&utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social

Definitely over the line but whether it hurts depends on what you mean by hurts.  Does it hurt whoever the D nominee is in defeating Trump?  Probably not.  Does it hurt in further dividing us and normalizing petty behavior in politics?  Yes.  I assume the former and voted no impact.

I don't think Pelosi's actions mean much in the end. The outcome of the presidential race is already cast in stone. Whichever democratic candidate ends up being the nominee doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Trump.

The dynamic is humongous (& growing). Much of the cause of it falls on their own shoulders.
What are you basing that on?  I do agree that the most important factor from here on out is who the nominee is - the only problem is I'm not sure anybody really knows or understands all the variables which impacts who will do well.

I don't blame Joe for starting this thread -- it's clearly a hot topic of conversation today -- but I hate getting dragged into discussions like this. In a vaccuum, yes, I think it was inappropriate and that she shouldn't have done it. But I'm also wary anytime the right-wing cranks up the outrage machine over issues like this or the Baron Trump "joke" during the impeachment hearings. (Witness the ridiculous notion that tearing up a piece of paper with words written about the military on it is equivalent to "ripping up the military".) It's all done in such transparent bad faith that to even engage the argument is to validate the right's disingenuous strategy.

Just heard on POTUS radio this morning that Nancy Pelosi may have broken the law and a US code  by tearing up the speech.  18US Code 2071, and they also named another code than I did not remember and could possible be removed from congress if they proceed.   Unreal....

It's a great way for people that support the least respectful person on the planet and who are constantly calling other people easily triggered snowflakes to do what they do and get triggered over something minor and talk about a lack of respect in others, so I guess it probably helped Trump more than anything.

Just heard on POTUS radio this morning that Nancy Pelosi may have broken the law and a US code  by tearing up the speech.  18US Code 2071, and they also named another code than I did not remember and could possible be removed from congress if they proceed.   Unreal....
I think the appropriate response should be "yeah she did something wrong, but she learned her lesson and won't do it again". I hear that's a valid response.

Removed by who?

"WE WILL RESPECT THE RULE OF LAW*!!"

*when it applies to the Dems
Eh, if she technically broke the law I'm fine with her receiving whatever the appropriate punishment should be in cases like that (which I suspect isn't much more than a slap on the wrist).

What are you basing that on?  I do agree that the most important factor from here on out is who the nominee is - the only problem is I'm not sure anybody really knows or understands all the variables which impacts who will do well.
I don't believe the democrats ever had a good chance of winning, anyway, once Trump got a foothold on the economy & employment. Without getting into politics, Trump has now become the president of the people. People like me who aren't overly political. Much of it has to do with blue's antics. All you really have to do is open your eyes to see the dynamic.

I'm an independent in theory, but I've more or less become a republican due to my disgust over a few of the left's stances. The democratic party is in trouble. It's all about the game with the vast majority of them. It's not about who can be a great POTUS, but who can beat Trump. The answer is nobody.

The bottom line is I could care less about his tweets. I simply like to see a president who can get #### done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was a reaction in the heat of the moment and was going to let it slide.  To hear Pelosi planned it as a show is extremely petty. 

She ripped up paper. Its not like she took money from a kids with cancer charity. NOW we're supposed to worry about decorum? This entire administration has been over the line. I certainly wish we were better politically then we are, but here we are. Once again, the Dems are held to a higher standard than the president.
I don't think anyone believes the president has decorum.  They are held to the same standard.

I don't believe the democrats ever had a good chance of winning, anyway, once Trump got a foothold on the economy & employment. Without getting into politics, Trump has now become the president of the people. People like me who aren't overly political. Much of it has to do with blue's antics. All you really have to do is open your eyes to see the dynamic.

I'm an independent in theory, but I've more or less become a republican due to my disgust over a few of the left's stances. The democratic party is in trouble. It's all about the game with the vast majority of them. It's not about who can be a great POTUS, but who can beat Trump. The answer is nobody.

The bottom line is I could care less about his tweets. I simply like to see a president who can get #### done.
The #### he has gotten done is the economy and jobs?  Jobs is fair and he's done great there - the economy is complex, he's done great for those of us with 401k's and money in the market.  I'm not sure how great he's been for farmers and some others.  Outside that I feel it's been a mixed bag but I have always thought the phrase "it's the economy, stupid" is almost underrated - people vote with their pocketbooks much more than their conscience.  I and most in this forum are fortunate that we can do both or neither.

They caught her on video doing a test rip under the table to make sure she was strong enough to do it in front of everyone. 🤣🤣🤣😂
She's 150, what did you expect?

That said, I have no problem with it. It was a paper full of lies, why keep that around? Recycle it, then it'll be useful for something.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Pelosi ripping up the program was a disgrace.

2. It helps Trump because Americans saw first-hand how petty and deranged Nancy and the Democrats have become.

Trump is going to steamroll whatever wet blanket the Dems nominate and everyone knows it. I fully expect the tantrums to escalate to the point of rage and violence. (And right on cue there is Captain Cranks calling for rage and hate)

Approval of Trump's SOTU (CBS poll)

97% of Republicans

30% of Democrats

82% of Independents

Bottom line is that this country is doing great right now and the Democrats HATE it. If blacks, Hispanics, women, gays, middle class are doing well then they don't need the Democratic Party. 

For the die hards it is tough to admit they have been wrong about virtually everything for four years. And even harder to admit they fell for propaganda designed to destroy this country.

I believe in the American people though, they will overcome this era of hate and division sewn by a media and group of politicians who despise our country and our Constitution.

Nancy is done though. I think her ripping up the program was symbolic of that. 
🇺🇸

Hopefully Trump peruses this.

over the line.

Yes and the Democrats in general
Is there nothing that Trump has said or done that has offended you in the last few years? Calling the press the enemy of the people? Calling women dogs? Racist insults? Any of that bother you at all? Or is all that meaningless, while Pelosi ripping up the speech is just appalling?

It was petulant and silly. But so was awarding Limbaugh the medal. Just more examples of both sides doing divisive things that annoy the rest of us that aren't part of their respective rabid fan bases. It's why we want term limits. 

over the line.

Is there nothing that Trump has said or done that has offended you in the last few years? Calling the press the enemy of the people? Calling women dogs? Racist insults? Any of that bother you at all? Or is all that meaningless, while Pelosi ripping up the speech is just appalling?
Trump is laughable.  But to me I don't watch the news or pay attention to Trump.  If a republican did what Pelosi did they would be calling for treason.  It was way over the line and shows they need new leadership in the Democratic party.

Trump is laughable.  But to me I don't watch the news or pay attention to Trump.  If a republican did what Pelosi did they would be calling for treason.  It was way over the line and shows they need new leadership in the Democratic party.
Republicans and Trump have done far worse and people didn't call for treason.  I find that assertion to be quite with merit.

Pro Trump and No (net) effect.

Also Not Over the Line. It was unbecoming and childish. Maybe if she had ripped up his copy that would be over the line. And awesome to watch.

To me it's ALL political theater so it's hard to get too excited about who doesn't attend, or who walks out, or who sits or doesn't clap. 

Anti-Trump, Over the Line, Some/Minimal Effect.

Trump is over the line every single day, while Pelosi has tried to stay above the fray and "be the adult" throughout.  She shushed the applause at the vote for impeachment and held off on pursuing impeachment until the facts demanded she act.  I don't understand why at the last minute she would give in and very visibly stoop to the unprofessional level.  It was a bad look for the actual adults watching and wondering why both sides are now acting petulant (and I'll say Schiff's opening of the inquiry and the applause in the House also qualify).

In terms of votes, it probably doesn't move the meter much, but she gave up the "high ground" that she valued so much for one defiant act.  Anti-Trump liberals surely took pleasure but they are going to vote against him anyway.  For Independents, I doubt it was a positive move to win them over.

I find this akin to Hillary calling Trump supporters deplorables.  They were both unforced errors that can do nothing but lose votes in the next election.  

They caught her on video doing a test rip under the table to make sure she was strong enough to do it in front of everyone. 🤣🤣🤣😂
Pathetic. Makes it just look like theatre. You wanna do that I'm fine with it, but with it being inauthentic, it just makes her look like she's searching for .gifs/meme fame.

Pro Trump and No (net) effect.

Also Not Over the Line. It was unbecoming and childish. Maybe if she had ripped up his copy that would be over the line. And awesome to watch.

To me it's ALL political theater so it's hard to get too excited about who doesn't attend, or who walks out, or who sits or doesn't clap. 
"Political Theatre" is a good analogy.  There is a video out showing Nancy pre-tearing the paper halfway through the speech so it would be easy to make her statement.  Won`t be long before we will have fist fights on the congress floor like other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread