Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ilov80s

2020 Oscars: Once Upon a Sunday

Best Picture   

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

What have you seen? What did you like or hate? What do you want to see?

Do the Oscars even matter in 2020?

Edited by Ilov80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

F vs F - Liked it. Not best picture worthy.

Joker - Hated it

Oscars might be watched by slightly more people than the Grammys.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen all but 2 and I'd vote JoJo.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hov34 said:

I've seen all but 2 and I'd vote JoJo.

 

Which two haven’t you seen? For me it’s just Little Women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Brad Pitt bring a date to the Oscars?

Yes +170

No -250

 

Will Brad Pitt hug Jennifer Aniston on camera during the OScars

Yes +500

No -900

 

What/Who will be mentioned first?

Australia Fires +155

Climate Change +250

Donald Trump +300

Iran/Iraq +700

Ricky Gervais +700

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Which two haven’t you seen? For me it’s just Little Women.

Little Women and Marriage Story

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Will Brad Pitt bring a date to the Oscars?

Yes +170

No -250

 

Will Brad Pitt hug Jennifer Aniston on camera during the OScars

Yes +500

No -900

 

What/Who will be mentioned first?

Australia Fires +155

Climate Change +250

Donald Trump +300

Iran/Iraq +700

Ricky Gervais +700

gimme a Yes/Yes/Trump parlay - bango bucks to be made there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seen only irishman and once upon a time.  both dragged horribly, especially the irishman.  once upon  a  time was not that great.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DA RAIDERS said:

 both dragged horribly, especially the irishman.  once upon  a  time was not that great.

are you me?

:hifive:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll go with Parasite, with Jojo Rabbit as #2.

I've also seen 1917, The Irishman, and Marriage Story. Going to try getting Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in over the next few days (wife hates Tarantino, but she's going out of town, so may be a good opportunity).

I'll throw in a plug for I Lost My Body, which is up for Best Animated Feature. Available on Netflix (and not a kids movie).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Will Brad Pitt bring a date to the Oscars?

Yes +170

No -250

 

Will Brad Pitt hug Jennifer Aniston on camera during the OScars

Yes +500

No -900

 

What/Who will be mentioned first?

Australia Fires +155

Climate Change +250

Donald Trump +300

Iran/Iraq +700

Ricky Gervais +700

Trump first at +300?  After the impeachment win and the state of the union?

Man that seems like easy money

Ricky Gervais might be a good sleeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Trump first at +300?  After the impeachment win and the state of the union?

Man that seems like easy money

Ricky Gervais might be a good sleeper

Does he have to mentioned by name? It’s much more likely imo he is alluded to by never mentioned by name 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen 1917, FvF, Once upon, Joker and The Irishman. 

Liked them all for the most part.....

Joker was solid with an outstanding performance by Phoenix.  Oscar winner for lead actor is a lock  

FvF was entertaining and well done

The Irishman was good but had its issues  

Once upon was my favorite of the year until....

1917- I’ve never seen anything like it. Visually stunning and filmed magnificently. Film making at its finest imo.  Should win a ton of awards.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen Parasite, Marriage Story, The Irishman, and Joker.
I liked Joker the best, but really want to see Jojo Rabbit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen Little Women or Marriage Story yet but the easy #1 and #2 for me are Parasite & Jojo Rabbit. Both perfect movies IMO.

I would group the rest of them together as being very strong films with a few flaws, some of them more flawed than the others and would rank them in the following order: 1917, Once Upon a Time, Ford v Ferarri, Joker, The Irishmen. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted 1917.  Haven't seen Parasite yet, but even if it was the best I would vote for 1917 so that the best two movies would take top prizes since I am guessing Parasite is a shoo in for Foreign Picture.   

From what I have seen, I think it was a damn good year for movies, but like usual I don't think the nominations represent the best of what's out there.  I think Joker leading the pack in noms is laughable, and I cared not for Irishman.    Marriage Story would be 2nd on the list for the nominations, followed by Once Upon a Time.   Need to JoJo, Parasite (rented this and it's waiting on Amazon for me), and Little Women still.  

Edited by KarmaPolice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I think it's telling that a majority of the votes are "seen 0 or 1/2", but it seems like the cultural dialogue is that there are no good movies out in the theaters anymore.    Not saying that all of these on the list are amazing, but IMO you can't complain too much about it if you don't try to see movies like these.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Also, I think it's telling that a majority of the votes are "seen 0 or 1/2", but it seems like the cultural dialogue is that there are no good movies out in the theaters anymore.    Not saying that all of these on the list are amazing, but IMO you can't complain too much about it if you don't try to see movies like these.  

the urgency to "have to see it in the theater!" is lost these days with the availability of top notch streaming at one's disposal ... think the last flick i got even remotely worked about needing to see upon it's release was "Black Mass" (Depp as Whitey?! HELL YES!) ... and it was a letdown. 

conversely, my favorite flick of recent vintage, "Manchester By the Sea" was one i heard nary any buzz about upon it's run up to theater release, nor would it have struck me as a "need to be in the theater" vehicle ... and it wasn't ... but i'll be damned if i didn't watch it twice in one evening via streaming, simply to digest how powerful all of it's beauty was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

the urgency to "have to see it in the theater!" is lost these days with the availability of top notch streaming at one's disposal ... think the last flick i got even remotely worked about needing to see upon it's release was "Black Mass" (Depp as Whitey?! HELL YES!) ... and it was a letdown. 

conversely, my favorite flick of recent vintage, "Manchester By the Sea" was one i heard nary any buzz about upon it's run up to theater release, nor would it have struck me as a "need to be in the theater" vehicle ... and it wasn't ... but i'll be damned if i didn't watch it twice in one evening via streaming, simply to digest how powerful all of it's beauty was. 

I find streaming as helping me to see more than I would have been able to otherwise, as I don’t get to the theatre as much as I’d like.

The Irishman and Marriage Story both on Netflix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

the urgency to "have to see it in the theater!" is lost these days with the availability of top notch streaming at one's disposal ... think the last flick i got even remotely worked about needing to see upon it's release was "Black Mass" (Depp as Whitey?! HELL YES!) ... and it was a letdown. 

conversely, my favorite flick of recent vintage, "Manchester By the Sea" was one i heard nary any buzz about upon it's run up to theater release, nor would it have struck me as a "need to be in the theater" vehicle ... and it wasn't ... but i'll be damned if i didn't watch it twice in one evening via streaming, simply to digest how powerful all of it's beauty was. 

Interesting. I think every movie is much better in the theater. Comedies are funnier and ofcourse nothing at home can match what imax or Dolby can do for Ford v Ferrari, 1917, etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Does he have to mentioned by name? It’s much more likely imo he is alluded to by never mentioned by name 

Slam dunk, then. It takes a drunken and brave soul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Trump first at +300?  After the impeachment win and the state of the union?

Man that seems like easy money

Ricky Gervais might be a good sleeper

I'd take field if available (Kobe)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Interesting. I think every movie is much better in the theater. Comedies are funnier and ofcourse nothing at home can match what imax or Dolby can do for Ford v Ferrari, 1917, etc

i have a setup with an amazing bose sound system, and a generous sized screen ... nothing approaching what a theater can offer, but ... in my space, all alone ... darkened room ... acoustics popping - i get plenty of bang for my buck. 

haven't seen 1917 yet, but "Dunkirk" was like being on the beach :popcorn:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I find streaming as helping me to see more than I would have been able to otherwise, as I don’t get to the theatre as much as I’d like.

The Irishman and Marriage Story both on Netflix.

I posted a link a couple times.  There a lot of the "best of 2019" movies out there already on streaming services.  Maybe not the main Oscar contenders, as they tend to release in December.  

I am with 80s though.  IMO even with a good sound system and big TV, going to the theater >>> watching at home (in theory, and if you have a good crowd).  It's just not as much of an option with the kids now, and I absolutely hate this new wave of restaurant/theaters that are popping up.  Sometimes those screens are the only ones that have a movie I want to see, and I will skip it if it's there.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I know I said "theater" but my comment was probably more of a general "the only movies out there are comic books and sequels".   Any way you view them, you are still voting with your dollars or clicks, so that's more what I am getting at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, otb_lifer said:

conversely, my favorite flick of recent vintage, "Manchester By the Sea" was one i heard nary any buzz about upon it's run up to theater release, nor would it have struck me as a "need to be in the theater" vehicle ... and it wasn't ... but i'll be damned if i didn't watch it twice in one evening via streaming, simply to digest how powerful all of it's beauty was. 

Dunno if you're the Masterpiece Theater type, but they just finished showing a 4-parter of the EMForster novel Howard's End, produced & scripted by the great playwright & filmmaker Kenneth Lonergan, who wrote Manchester by the Sea. His singular speech patterns, expressions & attitude are on full, odd & luscious display throughout and the performances are excellent

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen all of them.

It comes down to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood vs. Parasite for me.

Also loved Joker and 1917.

Really like all the others.  There are usually 2 or 3 nominated films that I actually dislike----pretty strong year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't go to the theater anymore. People are just too awful to deal with. Last 3 times I've been, there's some been some #######/group of #######s making noise, constantly playing on their phone, getting up half a dozen times to get snacks/go to the bathroom, etc.

I'd rather just wait a few months to see everything (with big marvel releases being the exception). The unwashed masses and cell phones have ruined the theater experience.

Edit: saw joker, Irishman and once upon a time. Like Hollywood the best but it doesn't strike me as best picture quality. I have a feeling I'll like 1917 alot more (although I thought the same about Dunkirk and was bored stiff)

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

I just can't go to the theater anymore. People are just too awful to deal with. Last 3 times I've been, there's some been some #######/group of #######s making noise, constantly playing on their phone, getting up half a dozen times to get snacks/go to the bathroom, etc.

I'd rather just wait a few months to see everything (with big marvel releases being the exception). The unwashed masses and cell phones have ruined the theater experience.

... and yet another wonderful reason to eschew the big screen "experience" ... hfs, i can only imagine how insufferable those miserable tvvat waffles can be ... so ####in' rude and disrespectful. 

upshot for me is, any flick that would pry my hairy ### out my cozy confines is certainly NOT gonna be one that great unwashed hoi polloi flock to ... i am notnever was, nor will i ever be, the BLOCKBUSTER/ACTION!!!! type of guy.    my #1 flick of all-time is "Glengarry", so, yeah - not the kinda film ilk that would draw the ####heads en masse.  

but, for those who are fans of said blockbuster/action genre, yeah ... i can only imagine how the experience is compromised by the ills alluded to in the quoted post.

counter argument will be: "BUT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SEE THEM IN THAT MILIEU, AND SHARING IT WITH AN AUDIENCE CHOCK FULL OF FELLOW FANS IS AWESOME!" well, ok - to each their own ... but not ever gonna be my cuppa'

10 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Dunno if you're the Masterpiece Theater type, but they just finished showing a 4-parter of the EMForster novel Howard's End, produced & scripted by the great playwright & filmmaker Kenneth Lonergan, who wrote Manchester by the Sea. His singular speech patterns, expressions & attitude are on full, odd & luscious display throughout and the performances are excellent

i'm spending another day home today ... will unearth this soon. thanks for lookin' out :thumbup:

btw, still blown away by the effect "MBtS" had on me ... recall over this past summer i had my gf sit and watch it with me on a Friday night ... was prolly my 4th sit thru it ... anyways, we went to a booze strewn birthday gig the following afternoon  (she doesn't drink, but i sure did) - spent hours pulling her out to the patio to light me a smoke, or 10 (she doesn't), and just blag on and on about the film. she contends that i was more coherent and focused and passionate that day than when i'm "sober", simply due to my love of that amazing piece of art.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

seen only irishman and once upon a time.

The only two I've seen as well.  Null voted on the winner because I'm pretty sure one of the others I haven't watched is better.

I did like the ending of Once Upon a Time, but up until then it was just OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need help with predictions.  I've won our office poll 3 out of the last 4 years.   Usually I just go to betting sites but they are all over the place.  Where is the go to spot?

Also it the academy trying to tell us something?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I posted a link a couple times.  There a lot of the "best of 2019" movies out there already on streaming services.  Maybe not the main Oscar contenders, as they tend to release in December.  

I am with 80s though.  IMO even with a good sound system and big TV, going to the theater >>> watching at home (in theory, and if you have a good crowd).  It's just not as much of an option with the kids now, and I absolutely hate this new wave of restaurant/theaters that are popping up.  Sometimes those screens are the only ones that have a movie I want to see, and I will skip it if it's there.  

 

Agree that theater is better than home.  But, once throwing in cost of baby sitter, tickets, popcorn/soda (I could do without, but my wife will insist), it ends up costing around $100 to see a movie. I still enjoy seeing in the theatre, but the relative value of seeing in a theatre or waiting a few months to watch in home weighs against more often than I would like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Agree that theater is better than home.  But, once throwing in cost of baby sitter, tickets, popcorn/soda (I could do without, but my wife will insist), it ends up costing around $100 to see a movie. I still enjoy seeing in the theatre, but the relative value of seeing in a theatre or waiting a few months to watch in home weighs against more often than I would like.

I hear you 100%, and add to that my gripes about why I don't go as much as I'd like.  Like I said, I misspoke early, and it should be a comment more about people complaining that the only movies out there are superhero and sequels.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have seen them all except Little Women. Parasite is the best of the bunch. 1917 seems to have the most recent momentum.

Mendes should be a lock for Best Director but I fear/dread Tarantino might get his director Oscar here.

Phoenix is a lock for Best Actor.

Zellweger is a near lock for Best Actress.

Pitt seems to be a near lock in a stacked Supporting Actor field.

Dern is a lock as Best Supporting Actress.

Only real suspense is the Best Picture/Best Director.

Odds site :

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

Need help with predictions.  I've won our office poll 3 out of the last 4 years.   Usually I just go to betting sites but they are all over the place.  Where is the go to spot?

Also it the academy trying to tell us something?

 

I think only the good folks at PwC know the winners right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, brianj74 said:

Have seen them all except Little Women. Parasite is the best of the bunch. 1917 seems to have the most recent momentum.

Mendes should be a lock for Best Director but I fear/dread Tarantino might get his director Oscar here.

Phoenix is a lock for Best Actor.

Zellweger is a near lock for Best Actress.

Pitt seems to be a near lock in a stacked Supporting Actor field.

Dern is a lock as Best Supporting Actress.

Only real suspense is the Best Picture/Best Director.

Odds site :

Link

i (thankfully) have no idea how recent awards have been doled out, but doesn't the chalk usually get busted a couple times?  that seemed to be the norm, last i cared to give a #### :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, otb_lifer said:

btw, still blown away by the effect "MBtS" had on me ... recall over this past summer i had my gf sit and watch it with me on a Friday night ... was prolly my 4th sit thru it ... anyways, we went to a booze strewn birthday gig the following afternoon  (she doesn't drink, but i sure did) - spent hours pulling her out to the patio to light me a smoke, or 10 (she doesn't), and just blag on and on about the film. she contends that i was more coherent and focused and passionate that day than when i'm "sober", simply due to my love of that amazing piece of art.  

Good thing you never saw my thread about it. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

I just can't go to the theater anymore. People are just too awful to deal with. Last 3 times I've been, there's some been some #######/group of #######s making noise, constantly playing on their phone, getting up half a dozen times to get snacks/go to the bathroom, etc.

I'd rather just wait a few months to see everything (with big marvel releases being the exception). The unwashed masses and cell phones have ruined the theater experience.

Edit: saw joker, Irishman and once upon a time. Like Hollywood the best but it doesn't strike me as best picture quality. I have a feeling I'll like 1917 alot more (although I thought the same about Dunkirk and was bored stiff)

Not sure where you live, but if you have an Alamo Drafthouse near you, you may want to check that out. They are very strict about there being no talking or phones during a movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen 6 of the 9. I like JoJo and 1917 best. Joker by far the worst. 

I hope Scarlett wins best supporting for JoJo. (Is she nominated?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, otb_lifer said:

btw, still blown away by the effect "MBtS" had on me ... recall over this past summer i had my gf sit and watch it with me on a Friday night ... was prolly my 4th sit thru it ... anyways, we went to a booze strewn birthday gig the following afternoon  (she doesn't drink, but i sure did) - spent hours pulling her out to the patio to light me a smoke, or 10 (she doesn't), and just blag on and on about the film. she contends that i was more coherent and focused and passionate that day than when i'm "sober", simply due to my love of that amazing piece of art.  

For some reason, nothing i see on a screen stays with me anymore, but the stroller scene from MbtS hangs off my gutwall like an undigested potsticker. Never has the inarticulate limbo of love quarrels been better written but, beyond that, the jazz of the interaction is one of the best fusions of writing & acting i've ever witnessed. I understand music well enough to recognize that every note, every beat, was scripted, but Michelle Williams and Casey Affleck run with it like Miles Davis & Coltrane with a Gil Evans chart. I youtube it regularly when i need to remind my self what is possible with words

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

For some reason, nothing i see on a screen stays with me anymore, but the stroller scene from MbtS lives hangs off my gut  like an undigested potsticker. Never has the inarticulate limbo of love quarrels been better written but, beyond that, the jazz of the interaction is one of the best fusions of writing & acting i've ever witnessed. I know the music of words well enough to see that every note, every beat, was scripted, but Michelle Williams and Casey Affleck run with it like Miles Davis & Coltrane with a Gil Evans chart. I youtube it regularly when i need to remind my self what is possible with words

... that particular scene was one i focused on the most that drunken afternoon previously mentioned - i found it indescribable, it tore through my entire gamut of empathic lingo, but i was still rendered speechless and felt as if i barely conveyed to my gf how much it moved me ... i kept trying, but the superlatives escaped me - i just couldn't properly articulate it's massive reach with any semblance of justice. 

now i just rewatched it, and i still can't - thanks for this beautiful reminder of how it can all be so damn majestic when all elements hit every note so perfectly.  

holy ####. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I've seen 6 of the 9. I like JoJo and 1917 best. Joker by far the worst. 

I hope Scarlett wins best supporting for JoJo. (Is she nominated?)

She's so good, she got nominated twice. Best Actress for Marriage Story, and Best Supporting Actress for Jojo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might watch a little after work this year.  It's an odd year in that usually I think most are good, or haven't seen several, but this year I am actively rooting against a couple popular movies and hope they don't win much - The Irishman and Joker.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brianj74 said:

Have seen them all except Little Women. Parasite is the best of the bunch. 1917 seems to have the most recent momentum.

Mendes should be a lock for Best Director but I fear/dread Tarantino might get his director Oscar here.

Phoenix is a lock for Best Actor.

Zellweger is a near lock for Best Actress.

Pitt seems to be a near lock in a stacked Supporting Actor field.

Dern is a lock as Best Supporting Actress.

Only real suspense is the Best Picture/Best Director.

Odds site :

Link

This all sounds right.

I also think that 1917 will win due to word of mouth and the fact that a war movie hasn't won for a long time.

I would still argue that Dunkirk should have won a couple years ago (though many here seem to disagree).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Joker, Marriage Story, and The Irishman.

I would vote for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I don't consider it a close decision.  I liked Joker a lot, but Once Upon a Time is stellar and in a league of its own.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the theater:

I got the AMC pass so it was basically $60 to see 3 movies a week for 3 months so I was able to see about a dozen of the top movies this fall/winter. I didn’t have a single bad experience and I still think the crowd makes the movies more exciting. Comedy and shock gains 1000x from a crowd of people also reacting. Luckily I don’t have to pay for a babysitter. Dinner and drinks are expensive but I would be doing that movie or no movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hov34 said:

Need help with predictions.  I've won our office poll 3 out of the last 4 years.   Usually I just go to betting sites but they are all over the place.  Where is the go to spot?

Also it the academy trying to tell us something?

 

1917, Mendes, Phoenix, Zellweger, Pitt, Dern all seem major favorites imo. What other categories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

1917, Mendes, Phoenix, Zellweger, Pitt, Dern all seem major favorites imo. What other categories?

All of them.  I'm only undecided on the following:

Doc Feature - American Factory or For Soma

Animated Feature - Toy Story 4 or Klaus

Film Editing - Ford v Ferrari or Parasite

Visual Effects - 1917 or Avengers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

All of them.  I'm only undecided on the following:

Doc Feature - American Factory or For Soma

Animated Feature - Toy Story 4 or Klaus

Film Editing - Ford v Ferrari or Parasite

Visual Effects - 1917 or Avengers

 

Those are tough but I would go AF, Klaus, Parasite and 1917

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.