Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Yogibear

Is anyone actually giving the XFL a chance to redeem itself?

Recommended Posts

As most of us all know, the XFL returns for its' 2nd version this coming weekend.  Yes, I know the league didn't do jack almost 20 years ago, but does anyone actually believe it will do better this time around?  Vince McMahon is the Donald Trump of the sports world.  He didn't learn his lesson almost 20 years ago when he first had the XFL?  If you're in a market that features an XFL franchise, then I'm sorry, the same thing is going to happen now like it did almost 20 years ago, and that includes my hometown of St. Louis, who, of all markets, should know this better than anyone.  Of course, as we all know, St. Louis is responsible for taking the NFL for granted not once, but twice, and driving the NFL out of town.  I hope that every market that has a current XFL franchise for this season suffers the same fate that happened almost 20 years ago, and that is to go one season and, after that, the league folds its tent, and Vince McMahon learns his lesson not to venture outside the world of professional wrestling!  I mean, seriously, does anybody think the XFL is going to be different now than it was almost 20 years ago?  NO WAY!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was 20 years ago, huh?  

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t care. I actually think the NFL product is really poor right now as well, they’re just lucky to have a monopoly on great players. I can’t see myself watching a lesser product. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, there aren't enough good QBs in the world for the XFL to have a decent level of play. 

I know there are people out there thst will gobble up basically any football game that they can get their eyes on, but I'm not one of them.

Total pass for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it's wildly successful and VKM devotes tons of time to it which means he might finally relinquish creative control for WWE to someone else.

Edited by hagmania
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who bet $ on it will check it out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think that the NFL product is very subpar right now.  I think there are too many teams, players are spread way too thinly across those teams and the result is a lot of uninteresting games plus oversaturation, the Thursday game is too much imho.  My problem with the XFL is time and competition for entertainment hours.  On the weekends, we're scrambling to do shopping, get caught up on chores, household work and when it's time to relax there are College basketball games, Netflix, Amazon Prime, regular television, rental movies and things that have been DVR'd throughout the week and sometimes Youtube.  And the problem is, just like with the original XFL, I forget it's on and I forget which channel(s) carry it b/c it's usually on a channel I don't watch, I'm sure as hell not DVRing it so I'll probably miss it. . . again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming there's no Soccer,  NHL, PGA,  or college hoops on, I might flip to it if NASCAR is in a cawshun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sneaky declaration that St. Louis took their football team for granted. There's a lot of evidence that Kroenke wanted to move to L.A. regardless of the stadium situation in St. Louis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Pretty sneaky declaration that St. Louis took their football team for granted. There's a lot of evidence that Kroenke wanted to move to L.A. regardless of the stadium situation in St. Louis.

I just don't think Kansas is a big enough state to support 2 NFL teams.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaysus said:

that was 20 years ago, huh?  

almost

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been paying absolutely zero attention to this so I don't know how they're marketing this but if they can reel in the anti-kneeling, "too many penalties. Football ain't football no more" crowd, they  actually have a slight chance of succeeding.

Edited by headcrack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yogibear said:

As most of us all know, the XFL returns for its' 2nd version this coming weekend.  Yes, I know the league didn't do jack almost 20 years ago, but does anyone actually believe it will do better this time around?  Vince McMahon is the Donald Trump of the sports world.  He didn't learn his lesson almost 20 years ago when he first had the XFL?  If you're in a market that features an XFL franchise, then I'm sorry, the same thing is going to happen now like it did almost 20 years ago, and that includes my hometown of St. Louis, who, of all markets, should know this better than anyone.  Of course, as we all know, St. Louis is responsible for taking the NFL for granted not once, but twice, and driving the NFL out of town.  I hope that every market that has a current XFL franchise for this season suffers the same fate that happened almost 20 years ago, and that is to go one season and, after that, the league folds its tent, and Vince McMahon learns his lesson not to venture outside the world of professional wrestling!  I mean, seriously, does anybody think the XFL is going to be different now than it was almost 20 years ago?  NO WAY!!!!

One of the main differences, as former WWE/WCW and current AEW announcer Jim Ross stated, is that XFL 2.0 will have a 2 year run-up to its debut.  This is in contrast to version 1.0 where the lead up was 9 months. Instead of a collaboration with his buddy Dick Ebersol, he's got a deal across ESPN and FOX which will promote it adequately.  Plus, I don't think you're going to see the sports entertainment/tawdry exploits like cheerleader in the locker room cameras.

Will it do any better?  Heck, I don't know. :shrug: I've got to think McMahon has learned a lesson or two about what he wants his product to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, facook said:

People who bet $ on it will check it out.

Smartest thing they are doing is embracing gambling.  As opposed to the NFL pretending they would be half as popular without it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rockaction said:

Pretty sneaky declaration that St. Louis took their football team for granted. There's a lot of evidence that Kroenke wanted to move to L.A. regardless of the stadium situation in St. Louis.

Same thing I was going to post.

@St. Louis Bob

:popcorn:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if redeem is the right word, but I'm curious to view it.  The WWE angle has no appeal to me and never will, but I'm interested in Oliver Luck steering this league.  Dude's pretty accomplished.  And as an experiment for new rules to a game that could use some spicing up, I'm interested in seeing how it pans out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Smartest thing they are doing is embracing gambling.  As opposed to the NFL pretending they would be half as popular without it.

Gonna have spread/total as part of the score graphic.  Should keep live odds updating there as well.  Keep the degens' attention.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch D-2  football if nothing else is on so I will watch.   Already missing TNF.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some national yokel is on local sports radio promoting the XFL as a superior alternative to the NFL "because the NFL is boring".

to which the local guy said "i find the NFL games boring.. i'm falling asleep at halftime.. whereas if i'm watching a baseball game and i'm getting bored in the 6th inning, i went in expecting to be bored so it doesn't bother me. i kinda like it."

 

yes, the XFL and it's wacky cameras, the mic's on players, cheerleaders in skirts (THE HUMANITY!!!!!) and no punts is going to revolutionize sports!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yogibear said:

Vince McMahon is the Donald Trump of the sports world.  

Donald Trump is the Donald Trump of the sports world. Long before XFL 1 folded, there was the USFL, which also folded. Donald was majority owner the New Jersey Generals in the USFL. Donald desperately wanted in as an NFL owner, but they wouldn't let him play, so he helped get the USFL going. As with many of his business ventures, it didn't exactly work, and he was integrally involved in bringing about the demise of that league.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought 200 bucks worth of tickets to the first vipers game :lmao: My wife almost divorced me. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Capella said:

I bought 200 bucks worth of tickets to the first vipers game :lmao: My wife almost divorced me. 

Did you get a whole section?

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, headcrack said:

I have been paying absolutely zero attention to this so I don't know how they're marketing this but if they can reel in the anti-kneeling, "too many penalties. Football ain't football no more" crowd, they  actually have a slight chance of succeeding.

But people like that aren’t a great marketing demographic. SNAP benefits only go so far.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Capella said:

I bought 200 bucks worth of tickets to the first vipers game :lmao: My wife almost divorced me. 

butwhy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Did you get a whole section?

5 seats! About 12 rows back. Surprisingly not many left. 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

butwhy.gif

I dunno, thought it would be funny. I honestly have no idea why I did it. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing those 5 kind of seats at an nfl game would be in the thousands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I'm guessing those 5 kind of seats at an nfl game would be in the thousands.

Think they are about 325- each for the Bucs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

I dunno, thought it would be funny. I honestly have no idea why I did it. 

Well, it IS funny. Though apparently not to your wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

Donald Trump is the Donald Trump of the sports world. Long before XFL 1 folded, there was the USFL, which also folded. Donald was majority owner the New Jersey Generals in the USFL. Donald desperately wanted in as an NFL owner, but they wouldn't let him play, so he helped get the USFL going. As with many of his business ventures, it didn't exactly work, and he was integrally involved in bringing about the demise of that league.

There is a great 30 for 30 on this called "Small Potatoes".  Teh Dawnold forced the USFL to move their games from spring (where it was doing okay) to fall to take on the NFL.  Whoops, fail.  SAD!  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

There is a great 30 for 30 on this called "Small Potatoes".  Teh Dawnold forced the USFL to move their games from spring (where it was doing okay) to fall to take on the NFL.  Whoops, fail.  SAD!  

Yup. Saw that one. Just not very bright nor much forethought going into that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s hilarious that people will say they won’t watch an inferior product to the NFL, but will eat up college football every Saturday. 

If that’s why you don’t watch the XFL, the NFL PR department has done their job over the past 100 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading out of country for 2 weeks.  Hope to watch when I get back.  Watched 1.0 and had a fantasy team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think it’s hilarious that people will say they won’t watch an inferior product to the NFL, but will eat up college football every Saturday. 

If that’s why you don’t watch the XFL, the NFL PR department has done their job over the past 100 years. 

College football on Saturday > NFL

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first I have heard of this. I probably wont watch but it will be interesting to follow how this goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll probably watch some if I’m home and bored

The biggest reason I watch NFL now is for FF, and I don’t have a FF team for XFL so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I’ll probably watch some if I’m home and bored

The biggest reason I watch NFL now is for FF, and I don’t have a FF team for XFL so...

This, and I can't bring myself to get involved in fantasy for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

This, and I can't bring myself to get involved in fantasy for it.

I’m not going to lie, if someone had a league and I could find a cheat sheet I’d draft a team :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I’m not going to lie, if someone had a league and I could find a cheat sheet I’d draft a team :lol:

:oldunsure:

I've seen rankings but haven't taken any steps to finding leagues.  I fear it's too late anyways with games starting this weekend.  Oh well.  I'll settle for baseball, which is hard to follow tho...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I’m not going to lie, if someone had a league and I could find a cheat sheet I’d draft a team :lol:

I plan on paying attention in case I ever want to throw a bet on a team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's your starting QBs:

Dallas Renegades - Landry Jones (inj) & Philip Nelson

Jones made great music under Bob Stoops at OU  - when he wasn't busy throwing the ball to the other team, which he did A LOT - and they reunite here.  However, Jones (30) is dealing with a knee injury so he probably won't start.  That leads us to Philip Nelson of Minnesota Gopher fame (?) and later, of Rutgers infamy and then, finally, East Carolina.  Nelson is less known for the damage he inflicted on college defense and more well known for the damage he inflicted on Minnesota State Mankato football player Isaac Kolstad.  See below:

Nelson was charged with first- and third-degree assault for kicking former Minnesota State Mankato football player Isaac Kolstad in the head during the early morning hours of May 11, 2014, after a night of underage drinking.[32] The argument allegedly involved conversation surrounding a bar bouncer hitting on Nelson's girlfriend.[33] Other people around the area reported that Nelson allegedly kicked Kolstad while he was unconscious, following being punched by a third party, Trevor Shelley. Shelley, also facing first- and third-degree assault charges, told police he did not hit Kolstad.[33] Kolstad was left unable to breathe on his own following significant destruction of brain tissue and underwent surgeries.[34] Surveillance video of the fight shows Kolstad throwing the first punch, knocking Nelson to the ground.[35][36] The fight lasted eight seconds.[37] Nelson, age 20, and Kolstad were both intoxicated, according to police.[38] Kolstad's injuries included a skull fracture, brain shifting, brain bleeding and lung deterioration due to lack of oxygen.[33] Kolstad moved home with his wife and two daughters in 2014.[37] Kolstad is able to walk but suffered permanent brain damage.[39]

Looks like a good team to short until Jones is back.  My 2 cents....

Washington DC Defenders - Cardale Jones 

Yeah, boy...this is the dude I'm most excited to watch for two reasons.  1)  Commissioner Oliver Luck was pimping him hard on the Dan Lebatard show and 2)  I watched him live in Jerrah-world torch my Oregon Ducks (when Zeke wasn't busy running all over them) and so it would be pleasant if he went out and torched other teams so I can feel better about that dreadful night in early 2015.   He'll be coached up by QB whisperer Pep Hamilton and actually has some play makers around him.  Remember San Diego State's Donnel Pumphrey?   Of course you don't, but I do and he was dynamite in 2016 as he broke Ron Dayne's rushing record (though that mark is in question since he needed a bowl game to break it).  

This is a team to bet on early, before the books self-correct....

Houston Roughnecks - Philip Walker 

PJ Walker (who???) just beat out Connor Cook (did the bloom come off the rose of any NFL QB prospect faster than Cook's?) for the starting job, which is probably more of a referendum on Cook than it is a ringing endorsement for Walker.  But hang on, Walker played for Matt Rhule at Temple as the two rebuilt the school into a decent little team, breaking Owl QB records along the way.  Colts signed him as an UDFA and kept him around for 3 years on the Practice Squad.  He's a small guy at 5'11" and 215 but he can move around and guess who likes that quality in a QB?  His HC June Jones.  His entire career is built on slight guys who can sling it, a la Colt Brennan.  

June Jones and a slight, mobile QB with a chip on his shoulder who can throw it around?  Sign me up!

LA Wildcats - Josh Johnson 

Ah, the black Doug Flutie!  :oldunsure:  #noBan  This guys has been around FOREVER.  His college coach was Jim Harbaugh.....BEFORE Harbaugh was at Stanford!  The University of San Diego product has been signed and rostered by:  Tampa, San Francisco, Cleveland, Cincy, San Francisco again, Cincy, Jets, Colts, Bills, Ravens, Giants, Texans, Raiders, Redskins, Lions and now....the LA Wildcats.  He is, uh, seasoned.   But caution!  He is a dreaded game time decision as with advancing age comes advancing forms of aches and pains that come along with 'undisclosed injuries' which is what he's being officially listed with.  If he can't go, insert Charles Kanoff out of Princeton and I just don't have the energy to look any further here.  

If Johnson is out, bet against LA.  In fact, they face Houston first.  Load.  The.  BOAT!  #MANSION

New York Guardians - Matt McGloin

You don't need anything more than this to know all you need to about Matt "Scrappy Scranton" McGloin

If you aren't ready to run through a brick wall for Scrappy Scranton McGloin, well then lord help you, I can't begin to understand your stained, soiled soul.  

Expect to see AAF breakout star Luis Perez (former professional bowler, actually actually true) soon at QB for NY.  

St. Louis Battlehawks - Jordan Ta'amu

What's great about the XFL is that they aren't afraid to try new things and experiment, like a wealthy college coed who feels strongly to rebel against society.  Here, the XFL is trying a hockey player out at QB.  Certainly football has never seen a name like "Ta'amu" before, right?

WRONG!  Ta'amu played at Ole Miss where he had DK Metcalf, AJ Brown and Dawson Knox as downfield weapons.  Not gonna lie, if I had those three receivers, I bet I could do better at QB than Ta'amu did for in his senior season.  All that said, he does seem perfectly suited for Coach Jonathan Hayes' fast-paced offensive scheme and with a faster 25 second play clock, expect nothing but no huddle here.  

Mildly curious what this team looks like, but I'm not ready to back anybody in football named "Ta'amu".

Seattle Dragons - Brandon Silvers

Four year starter at Troy (who beat LSU in 2017, did you know that????) who made a name for himself in the AAF with Memphis, Silvers beat out Chistian Hackenberg (has that guy been beaten out by every pro QB since the Jets took him inexplicably in the 2nd round?) and fellow underachiever Zach Mettenberger to win the Memphis gig.  He's more of an Air Raid QB but is being asked to run a West Coast offense under Jim Zorn, so I'm skeptical of this team's early chances of success.  Zorn was a mess of a HC at Washington and I'm not sure what he's done to improve.  He does have Mike Riley on this staff, but other than being a super nice guy, I think Riley's best days are long behind him.

Hard pass on Seattle for me.


Tampa Bay Vipers - Aaron Murray 

Attendance for this game is already expected to surpass the first 3 months total of Rays' games last season, so excitement is definitely in the air.  Murray is best known for being the little brother of Josh Murray from the Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise franchises.  He also played QB for Georgia and was goodish, but flamed out of the NFL rather quickly.  He sucked eggs in the AAF, though, so unless genius Marc Trestman can find the magic buttons to push, I don't expect Murray to move the needle.  

Game manager at best, but maybe that steady hand is what's needed early on.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not going to check it out.

I think a key ingredient to the NFL's rise to the top was its relative scarcity.  Only 16 week season, games on Sunday and one on Monday only.  Small playoff pool.  Not sure when late season Saturday games started, then occasional Thursday games, then Thursday games all season.  Now there is year round coverage with the draft, free agency, even OTAs being big stories on the NFL network.  Its overkill and I am not hungry at the moment for more football so I have no interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Here's your starting QBs:

Dallas Renegades - Landry Jones (inj) & Philip Nelson

Jones made great music under Bob Stoops at OU  - when he wasn't busy throwing the ball to the other team, which he did A LOT - and they reunite here.  However, Jones (30) is dealing with a knee injury so he probably won't start.  That leads us to Philip Nelson of Minnesota Gopher fame (?) and later, of Rutgers infamy and then, finally, East Carolina.  Nelson is less known for the damage he inflicted on college defense and more well known for the damage he inflicted on Minnesota State Mankato football player Isaac Kolstad.  See below:

Nelson was charged with first- and third-degree assault for kicking former Minnesota State Mankato football player Isaac Kolstad in the head during the early morning hours of May 11, 2014, after a night of underage drinking.[32] The argument allegedly involved conversation surrounding a bar bouncer hitting on Nelson's girlfriend.[33] Other people around the area reported that Nelson allegedly kicked Kolstad while he was unconscious, following being punched by a third party, Trevor Shelley. Shelley, also facing first- and third-degree assault charges, told police he did not hit Kolstad.[33] Kolstad was left unable to breathe on his own following significant destruction of brain tissue and underwent surgeries.[34] Surveillance video of the fight shows Kolstad throwing the first punch, knocking Nelson to the ground.[35][36] The fight lasted eight seconds.[37] Nelson, age 20, and Kolstad were both intoxicated, according to police.[38] Kolstad's injuries included a skull fracture, brain shifting, brain bleeding and lung deterioration due to lack of oxygen.[33] Kolstad moved home with his wife and two daughters in 2014.[37] Kolstad is able to walk but suffered permanent brain damage.[39]

Looks like a good team to short until Jones is back.  My 2 cents....

Washington DC Defenders - Cardale Jones 

Yeah, boy...this is the dude I'm most excited to watch for two reasons.  1)  Commissioner Oliver Luck was pimping him hard on the Dan Lebatard show and 2)  I watched him live in Jerrah-world torch my Oregon Ducks (when Zeke wasn't busy running all over them) and so it would be pleasant if he went out and torched other teams so I can feel better about that dreadful night in early 2015.   He'll be coached up by QB whisperer Pep Hamilton and actually has some play makers around him.  Remember San Diego State's Donnel Pumphrey?   Of course you don't, but I do and he was dynamite in 2016 as he broke Ron Dayne's rushing record (though that mark is in question since he needed a bowl game to break it).  

This is a team to bet on early, before the books self-correct....

Houston Roughnecks - Philip Walker 

PJ Walker (who???) just beat out Connor Cook (did the bloom come off the rose of any NFL QB prospect faster than Cook's?) for the starting job, which is probably more of a referendum on Cook than it is a ringing endorsement for Walker.  But hang on, Walker played for Matt Rhule at Temple as the two rebuilt the school into a decent little team, breaking Owl QB records along the way.  Colts signed him as an UDFA and kept him around for 3 years on the Practice Squad.  He's a small guy at 5'11" and 215 but he can move around and guess who likes that quality in a QB?  His HC June Jones.  His entire career is built on slight guys who can sling it, a la Colt Brennan.  

June Jones and a slight, mobile QB with a chip on his shoulder who can throw it around?  Sign me up!

LA Wildcats - Josh Johnson 

Ah, the black Doug Flutie!  :oldunsure:  #noBan  This guys has been around FOREVER.  His college coach was Jim Harbaugh.....BEFORE Harbaugh was at Stanford!  The University of San Diego product has been signed and rostered by:  Tampa, San Francisco, Cleveland, Cincy, San Francisco again, Cincy, Jets, Colts, Bills, Ravens, Giants, Texans, Raiders, Redskins, Lions and now....the LA Wildcats.  He is, uh, seasoned.   But caution!  He is a dreaded game time decision as with advancing age comes advancing forms of aches and pains that come along with 'undisclosed injuries' which is what he's being officially listed with.  If he can't go, insert Charles Kanoff out of Princeton and I just don't have the energy to look any further here.  

If Johnson is out, bet against LA.  In fact, they face Houston first.  Load.  The.  BOAT!  #MANSION

New York Guardians - Matt McGloin

You don't need anything more than this to know all you need to about Matt "Scrappy Scranton" McGloin

If you aren't ready to run through a brick wall for Scrappy Scranton McGloin, well then lord help you, I can't begin to understand your stained, soiled soul.  

Expect to see AAF breakout star Luis Perez (former professional bowler, actually actually true) soon at QB for NY.  

St. Louis Battlehawks - Jordan Ta'amu

What's great about the XFL is that they aren't afraid to try new things and experiment, like a wealthy college coed who feels strongly to rebel against society.  Here, the XFL is trying a hockey player out at QB.  Certainly football has never seen a name like "Ta'amu" before, right?

WRONG!  Ta'amu played at Ole Miss where he had DK Metcalf, AJ Brown and Dawson Knox as downfield weapons.  Not gonna lie, if I had those three receivers, I bet I could do better at QB than Ta'amu did for in his senior season.  All that said, he does seem perfectly suited for Coach Jonathan Hayes' fast-paced offensive scheme and with a faster 25 second play clock, expect nothing but no huddle here.  

Mildly curious what this team looks like, but I'm not ready to back anybody in football named "Ta'amu".

Seattle Dragons - Brandon Silvers

Four year starter at Troy (who beat LSU in 2017, did you know that????) who made a name for himself in the AAF with Memphis, Silvers beat out Chistian Hackenberg (has that guy been beaten out by every pro QB since the Jets took him inexplicably in the 2nd round?) and fellow underachiever Zach Mettenberger to win the Memphis gig.  He's more of an Air Raid QB but is being asked to run a West Coast offense under Jim Zorn, so I'm skeptical of this team's early chances of success.  Zorn was a mess of a HC at Washington and I'm not sure what he's done to improve.  He does have Mike Riley on this staff, but other than being a super nice guy, I think Riley's best days are long behind him.

Hard pass on Seattle for me.


Tampa Bay Vipers - Aaron Murray 

Attendance for this game is already expected to surpass the first 3 months total of Rays' games last season, so excitement is definitely in the air.  Murray is best known for being the little brother of Josh Murray from the Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise franchises.  He also played QB for Georgia and was goodish, but flamed out of the NFL rather quickly.  He sucked eggs in the AAF, though, so unless genius Marc Trestman can find the magic buttons to push, I don't expect Murray to move the needle.  

Game manager at best, but maybe that steady hand is what's needed early on.  

This is the kind of XFL content I log on here for. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

What are the “special” rules?

The 2020 XFL season will begin this weekend, and if you’re planning on tuning in to get your football fix during the NFL offseason, you may be a little confused by the league’s new rules. The XFL has made several major rule changes in an attempt to reduce overall game times and produce more highlight-reel plays.

Here’s a primer on all the major rule changes and differences from standard NFL rules.

SCORING RULES:

Point-after touchdown plays

In the XFL, there are no kicked extra points after touchdowns. Instead, teams will have an option to run a play to score either 1, 2 or 3 extra points, creating the possibility for a 9-point touchdown.

A 1-point try will be run from the 2-yard line. A 2-point try will start at the 5-yard line, and a 3-point try will start at the 10-yard line.

GAME RULES:

Double-forward passes

Unlike in the NFL, the XFL will allow two forward passes on a play, provided that the first forward pass is caught behind the line of scrimmage.

What is a catch? 

In the XFL, receivers only need to have one foot – or any other part of their body – contact the ground in bounds, instead of two feet in the NFL. Here is how the league defines what a catch is:

Secures control of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground.

Touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then

Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.

Kickoffs

The XFL designed its kicking rules in a way to increase the amount of returns we see compared to the NFL, and to make returns safer.  Kickoffs are going to look very different.

On a kickoff, the kicker will kick the ball from their own 30-yard line, but every blocker will be lined up on the opposing team’s 35-yard line. The return team blockers will be lined up at their own 30, just five yards away.

Only the kicker and receiver can move before the ball is caught. All other blockers are permitted to move when the ball is caught, or three seconds after it hits the ground, if the ball isn’t caught.

Kicks that fly out of bounds, or kicks that fall short of the opposing 20-yard line, will result in the receiving team taking the ball at their own 45-yard line.

Touchbacks will result in the receiving team starting at their own 35-yard line.

Teams will be required to inform an official if they plan to use an onside kick, meaning they cannot surprise the opposing team with an onside kick.

Punts

Punting rules have also been changed to entice coaches to go for it on fourth down.

All punts that result in touchbacks will be placed on the receiving team’s 35-yard line. Punts that go out of bounds will also be placed on the receiving team’s 35-yard line, or wherever the ball went out if that occurred before reaching the 35.

The punting team may not cross the line of scrimmage before the ball is punted, which should reduce the amount of fair catches significantly.

Challenges

There are no coaches challenges in the XFL. All reviews will be initiated by a replay official. Via the XFL, here is a list of reviewable plays:

(a) Plays involving possession. (b) Plays involving touching of either the ball or the ground. (c) Plays governed by the goal line. (d) Plays governed by the boundary lines. (e) Plays governed by the line of scrimmage. (f) Plays governed by the line to gain. (g) Number of players on the field at the snap. (h) Game administration. (1) Penalty enforcement. (2) Proper down. (3) Spot of a foul. (4) Status of the game clock. (i) Disqualification of a player. This list of reviewable plays is identical to those in the NFL prior to 2019.

OVERTIME FORMAT:

The XFL has devised a completely new format for overtime, which is comparable to a shootout in soccer.

In overtime, each team’s offense will have five attempts to complete a two-point conversion from the five-yard line, with each successful conversion being worth two points. The team with the most points at the end of the shootout is the winner. If one team clinches a win early, the unnecessary remaining rounds of the shootout will not be played.

There will be no coin toss to determine the order of overtime. The visiting team will always make the first two-point attempt.

Defenses cannot score in overtime possessions in the event of a turnover.

Penalties in overtime:

Penalties will be crucial in overtime plays. If the offensive team commits a pre-snap penalty, the ball will moved back and the play will be re-attempted. If the offense commits a post-snap penalty, the play is considered dead, and any score will not count.

If the defense commits a penalty pre-snap, the ball will be moved to the one-yard line. For a post-snap penalty, the offensive team will have the option to re-try the play from the one-yard line if they do not score. Any future penalties committed by the defense in any future round will result in an automatic score for the offense.

TIMING RULES:

Game clock:

The XFL will use a running clock outside of the final two minutes of the second quarter, and the final two minutes of the fourth quarter.

The final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters is what the XFL refers to as the “comeback period.” During these periods, plays that end out of bounds or with an incompletion will stop the clock until the next snap. The clock will be stopped after all other plays that end in bounds until the ball is spotted and five seconds have run off the play clock. In theory, this should give an offensive team leeway to run plays in the center of the field, as they will be able to rush back to the line of scrimmage without time coming off the clock.

The play clock is 25 seconds, and will begin when the ball is spotted following the previous play.

There will be one official on the field dedicated to spotting the ball, in an effort to speed up the process compared to the NFL.

Timeouts:

Each XFL team will receive two timeouts per half, compared to three per half for NFL teams.

The halftime break will be 10 minutes.

Penalties:

The XFL’s “illegal man downfield” rule has been rewritten to make it easier for officials to enforce.

No ineligible player shall be or have been more than three yards beyond the line of scrimmage until a passer throws a legal forward pass that crosses the line of scrimmage. A player is in violation of this rule if any part of his body is beyond the three-yard limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Capella said:

I bought 200 bucks worth of tickets to the first vipers game :lmao: My wife almost divorced me. 

Take to the Shtick thread, chico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Take to the Shtick thread, chico.

Oh this is the shtick thread now 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.