What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is anyone actually giving the XFL a chance to redeem itself? (2 Viewers)

I’ll do a full review of the first vipers game. Unfortunately they don’t play at home until week 3 so I’m hoping the league is still in business then. I might buy my son a hat so he can ask me wtf the vipers were when he’s older.

I’ll do a full review of the first vipers game. Unfortunately they don’t play at home until week 3 so I’m hoping the league is still in business then. I might buy my son a hat so he can ask me wtf the vipers were when he’s older.
Wait long enough and you can probably buy him a whole team's worth of official jerseys for peanuts.

XFL Wagers:

DC Defenders -7.5 vs Seattle Dragons

Here we go, the debut game in the nation's capital which also marks the return of Jim Zorn, where he went 12-20 as the HC of RacistSkins in unceremonious fashion.  Literally NOTHING happened in his two season as a coach there.  Seriously, I don't think there any records of his time as coach there.  Its has if Nancy Pelosi broke in and shredded every historical document related to these two years of dreadful football.  

But excitement looms, boys!  Pep Hamilton and his exciting brand of offensive football (ignore the Michigan years; Harbaugh could make Mardi Gras boring) teams up with Cardale Jones, DeAndrea Thompkins (how many of us got burned on that former Patriot WR who was destined for greatness after a sizzling pre-season) and Eli Rogers (Steelers' great) to form the nucleus of what HAS to be the most interesting and exciting offense on paper.  Donnel Pumphrey will be used like Darren Sproles (he was actually drafted by Philly to fill that role) so expect some early season fireworks in DC.

The pick:  DC Defenders -7.5 *** out of ****

Probably just be able to buy the team tbh 
This is a great idea. We can convert the whole thing to a FBGs owned operation, just need to get some of the FBG high rollers lined up. I think me and a few others can get an L.A. area conglomerate together. Then we'll move that team somewhere else so the other owners can forever threaten their fanbases with relocation to L.A.

:moneybag:

XFL Wager #2

Houston Roughriders -6.5 vs LA Wildcats

Well fellas, if you thought the NFL Injury reports were frustrating and unreliable, just WAIT until you experience what lays in front of us with the XFL.  Currently, QB Josh Johnson is listed officially as......"Uncertain".   My sources are also saying this is a "Game Time Decision" but XFL insider Ryan Dryrud is tweeting that Johnson is out for this one.  

I was already bullish on Houston with veteran coach June Jones unleashing his (checks the rules) sixty minutes of hell on opposing defenses.  I'm going to limp into this today with a 1 unit bet on Houston, but as we get closer to kick-off, I will double this bet if Johnson is CERTAINLY out.  Backing him up is nothing noteworthy, so pay attention and if you can, back up the Brinks truck and go with the Roughriders.

The Pick:  Roughriders -6.5 *** out of **** with Josh Johnson playing; bump to **** out of **** if he is listed "OUT".  

XFL Wager #2

Well fellas, if you thought the NFL Injury reports were frustrating and unreliable, just WAIT until you experience what lays in front of us with the XFL.  Currently, QB Josh Johnson is listed officially as......"Uncertain".   My sources are also saying this is a "Game Time Decision" but XFL insider Ryan Dryrud is tweeting that Johnson is out for this one.  

I was already bullish on Houston with veteran coach June Jones unleashing his (checks the rules) sixty minutes of hell on opposing defenses.  I'm going to limp into this today with a 1 unit bet on Houston, but as we get closer to kick-off, I will double this bet if Johnson is CERTAINLY out.  Backing him up is nothing noteworthy, so pay attention and if you can, back up the Brinks truck and go with the Roughriders.

The Pick:  Roughriders -6.5 *** out of **** with Josh Johnson playing; bump to **** out of **** if he is listed "OUT".  
:popcorn:

There is a great 30 for 30 on this called "Small Potatoes".  Teh Dawnold forced the USFL to move their games from spring (where it was doing okay) to fall to take on the NFL.  Whoops, fail.  SAD!  
There is never a day that goes by without me thanking the Lord that Trump failed in his effort to buy the Bills a few years back.  My life would be so much worse if he was running my team into the ground.  I'm glad he's now in a position where he's unable to do serious damage.

Not watching. I don't need year round football. Every sport season has a lifespan. Football's ends the first week of February. Now I'll probably decompress with nothing for a couple weeks, then move onto NBA.

Not watching. I don't need year round football. Every sport season has a lifespan. Football's ends the first week of February. Now I'll probably decompress with nothing for a couple weeks, then move onto NBA.
Understood, but it really does hit kind of a dead spot in the overall sports schedule.  NBA, NHL playoffs still down the road as well as MLB.

XFL Wager #2

Well fellas, if you thought the NFL Injury reports were frustrating and unreliable, just WAIT until you experience what lays in front of us with the XFL.  Currently, QB Josh Johnson is listed officially as......"Uncertain"
As in, "Uncertain of his decision to join the XFL."

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber you go and do something like this and totally redeem yourself.

I won't watch much, but the kickoff rule they use is brilliant and should be adopted by the NFL.

They couldn't come up with better nicknames?

So far - QB and coach fully miked up is great. In game interviews - eh. Extra point rule - great.

Apparently you can have two forward passes on a play as long as the first one is caught behind the line of scrimmage. That is also good.

Capella said:
Nah.  You need to teach him about the OG of the XFL

Levy and McElroy give it some credibility.  They are pros and are doing a good job of promoting the league and taking the game seriously without going overboard.  Great pairing for ESPN to go with.

Live replay challenges are cool.   Also like the live play calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the transparency on the replay booth. :thumbup:

This is something I could see the NFL having to do eventually...but they'd still find a way to screw it up.

BTW, how much are the guys who bet the under sweating out that Seattle drive.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the transparency on the replay booth. :thumbup:

This is something I could see the NFL having to do eventually...but they'd still find a way to screw it up.
I want to say "The NFL is going to HAVE to do ________" but that is obviously incorrect.  They don't have to do anything.  And they probably won't adopt any of these ideas because they are too proud to admit others have better ideas.  But the live sky-judge is something they should have already stolen from AAF, the extra point rule is better in XFL, and I'd be fine with the kickoff rules being adapted in NFL too.

I want to say "The NFL is going to HAVE to do ________" but that is obviously incorrect.  They don't have to do anything.  And they probably won't adopt any of these ideas because they are too proud to admit others have better ideas.  But the live sky-judge is something they should have already stolen from AAF, the extra point rule is better in XFL, and I'd be fine with the kickoff rules being adapted in NFL too.
Oh, I agree.  Look how long it took them to adopt the 2 point conversion just because it's a thing in college and HS football. :rolleyes:

My greater point is that if the XFL's replay system is shown to be effective (and/or popular), then the NFL may feel pressure to implement it because some sports writers will see the advantages to it.  The fuel to fire would be a replay situation like the Fail Mary that causes a team to lose a game and generates a ton of controversy in doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread