What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is anyone actually giving the XFL a chance to redeem itself? (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired said:
DC drew 17,163 fans to Audi Field

Houston drew 17,815 to TDECU Stadium.

17,634 in Metlife stadium for the game today..
Jesus, again, 4 games in a row between 17k and 18k.  17,206 in in Dallas.

XFL is running slightly behind the AAF for opening weekend numbers.

Week 1 XFL attendance numbers: 69,818

Week 1 AAF attendance numbers: 76,838

Last edited by a moderator:
hagmania said:
The team-themed ball is sick tho
Yeah. Took me 3 games to notice that they changed the ball to match the color of the team on offense. So 2 sets of footballs per game. Cool touch. 

Capella said:
Man I just don’t know about these vipers jerseys. 
I can’t find that green helmet cool on a color wheel. It’s not from this universe. Ugliest color choice even. 

hagmania said:
McGloin really is the best player in the league, huh
As a Raider fan, I’m pulling for him and rooting for the Gaurdians. Glad it was just me who thought he looked head and shoulders better than every other QB this weekend. 

I’m on board with this XFL thing. 

I know people on here are talking about how betting is hard because no one knows anything about these teams, but I listen to an XFL podcast (sometimes) where these guys are breaking down the players and teams in depth.  

I know people on here are talking about how betting is hard because no one knows anything about these teams, but I listen to an XFL podcast (sometimes) where these guys are breaking down the players and teams in depth.  
... gee, if only there were something similar for NFL bettors, we'd all be millionaires 

:whistle:

... gee, if only there were something similar for NFL bettors, we'd all be millionaires 

:whistle:
I was just saying that while people here are saying that Vegas pretty much just made up lines since no one knows anything about these teams, it's not actually true.  There are some really die hard people out there that seem to know a lot about these teams.  

Would like to see Greg Olsen get the MNF job either replacing booger or joining them putting booger back in his obstructed (-ing) view chair.

i'll give the XFL credit for their apparent massive payouts to sports media for favorable coverage of the product.

so many sports talking heads saying they loved the games, they're hooked "because there are guy's names you recognize".

"if there were lesser quarterbacks playing i might turn the channel but you had me hooked when i saw Landry Jones (not starting) facing off against Brogan Roback!"

🤢 

"give me that classic battle of coaching legends Bob Stoops vs. Jonathan Hayes and my eyes are locked on that game!"

NFL fans complain that the NFL is watered down, the talent pool is too thin, the game isn't safe.. but then tune in to watch games where the starters are guys who washed out of the bottom of NFL rosters in summer after middling college careers.. which is run by Vince McMahon who famously churns & burns human beings in the WWE?

i'll give the XFL credit for their apparent massive payouts to sports media for favorable coverage of the product.

so many sports talking heads saying they loved the games, they're hooked "because there are guy's names you recognize".

"if there were lesser quarterbacks playing i might turn the channel but you had me hooked when i saw Landry Jones (not starting) facing off against Brogan Roback!"

🤢

"give me that classic battle of coaching legends Bob Stoops vs. Jonathan Hayes and my eyes are locked on that game!"

NFL fans complain that the NFL is watered down, the talent pool is too thin, the game isn't safe.. but then tune in to watch games where the starters are guys who washed out of the bottom of NFL rosters in summer after middling college careers.. which is run by Vince McMahon who famously churns & burns human beings in the WWE?
Yeah, I didn't have as much enthusiasm for the XFL on Sunday. The quarterback play is really not good. And if that isn't going to be good this league will fail just like the rest of them.

Because after the initial excitement, people want to watch good football. End of story. 

Yeah, I didn't have as much enthusiasm for the XFL on Sunday. The quarterback play is really not good. And if that isn't going to be good this league will fail just like the rest of them.

Because after the initial excitement, people want to watch good football. End of story. 
I still don't get this.  Everyone watches college football and those quarterbacks aren't all NFL quality.  

I still don't get this.  Everyone watches college football and those quarterbacks aren't all NFL quality.  
people have a built in rooting interest for college football. local team, kids attend the school, alumnae, etc.

i keep thinking if maybe the owners would start small and build these leagues might have a chance. but rich dudes keep trying to splash in LA, NY, etc. where people already don't turn up for pro level sports leagues that aren't winning at a high level.

I can only speak for myself, but the only college I really watch are the better games. And usually, the quarterback play is pretty good. Or, the quarterback is the right guy for the system the teams are running.

When I am watching "pro" football,  I expect the best players. Or compelling games. Something to draw me in.

And we all know the XFL isn't going to be the best games. And they are years away from compelling football. And to me, that's where these start up leagues fail. They would be better off setting up an NFL minor league, because I would at least tune in to see what guys may be in the pipeline for my Chiefs.

But watching this weekend, yeah it was fun because it was new, but I won't plan to watch again. There really is nothing in it for me. 

I really like the hot mics in the ref huddles and review booth.
this is going to lead to so much more complaining from fans. 

it's bad enough already but the nitpicking and parsing of ref's words is going to go through the roof if the NFL implements this same idea.

The product on the field was........not great. Lots of incomplete passes, lots of plodding RBs with a 3.x YPC. Not very many points being scored.

Yeah. Took me 3 games to notice that they changed the ball to match the color of the team on offense. So 2 sets of footballs per game. Cool touch. 

I can’t find that green helmet cool on a color wheel. It’s not from this universe. Ugliest color choice even. 

As a Raider fan, I’m pulling for him and rooting for the Gaurdians. Glad it was just me who thought he looked head and shoulders better than every other QB this weekend. 

I’m on board with this XFL thing. 
Google the old World League of American Football Orlando Thunder uniforms.  Similar shade of unnatural green.

🤢

Nobody is complaining about this 

I can only speak for myself, but the only college I really watch are the better games. And usually, the quarterback play is pretty good. Or, the quarterback is the right guy for the system the teams are running.

When I am watching "pro" football,  I expect the best players. Or compelling games. Something to draw me in.

And we all know the XFL isn't going to be the best games. And they are years away from compelling football. And to me, that's where these start up leagues fail. They would be better off setting up an NFL minor league, because I would at least tune in to see what guys may be in the pipeline for my Chiefs.

But watching this weekend, yeah it was fun because it was new, but I won't plan to watch again. There really is nothing in it for me. 
This makes sense, then.  I totally get what you're saying.  

I guess I'm referring more to the people who are watching all of the dumb bowl games or any game that's playing on ESPN on a Saturday afternoon, but are also saying these games aren't quality enough games.  

See ya here next week!   :excited:

I was just saying that while people here are saying that Vegas pretty much just made up lines since no one knows anything about these teams, it's not actually true.  There are some really die hard people out there that seem to know a lot about these teams.  
I went 4 for 4 (and posted all plays here as proof) this weekend.  :shrug:

Which means fade me HARD this weekend. ;)

This makes sense, then.  I totally get what you're saying.  

I guess I'm referring more to the people who are watching all of the dumb bowl games or any game that's playing on ESPN on a Saturday afternoon, but are also saying these games aren't quality enough games.  
I think you underestimate the importance that gambling plays in all of this.  Gamblers are watching the crappy bowl games and gambling is going to help propel the XFL.  The XFL's conscious decision to embrace gambling by keeping the lines on the screen and having their announcers discuss them is really smart.  It's going to suck in the casual gambler who might see this as an opportunity to fund a DraftKings account and join the action where ordinarily, he/she sits on the sidelines waiting for September.  

I think you underestimate the importance that gambling plays in all of this.  Gamblers are watching the crappy bowl games and gambling is going to help propel the XFL.  The XFL's conscious decision to embrace gambling by keeping the lines on the screen and having their announcers discuss them is really smart.  It's going to suck in the casual gambler who might see this as an opportunity to fund a DraftKings account and join the action where ordinarily, he/she sits on the sidelines waiting for September.  
Yep.  Don’t know why the NFL pretends to have integrity, they should also be embracing it

I watched probably 60% of game action this weekend.  Not much college hoops on, so gave it a shot.

I won't go out of my way to watch but if it's on, and there's no good college hoops to watch, I'll have it on in the background as I do other stuff.

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  

I think we're saying the same thing.  I'm not discounting gamblers at all.  

I'm saying that there are a lot of people out there who will sit down and watch the Pro Bowl or Bowling Green v. Kent State, but won't watch the XFL because the quality of play isn't up to par with what they expect from a football game. 

nobody is complaining that the NFL isn't safe?

even the NFL is saying the NFL isn't safe

The NFL cares because they're getting NG sued over it. The average fan doesn't care. Dollars to donuts most of them miss the days of 'jacked up' segments more than anything else. 

I think we're saying the same thing.  I'm not discounting gamblers at all.  

I'm saying that there are a lot of people out there who will sit down and watch the Pro Bowl or Bowling Green v. Kent State, but won't watch the XFL because the quality of play isn't up to par with what they expect from a football game. 
Quality of play was fine.  It's C- players playing against each other.  I bet more than a few of these guys are on NFL rosters come Sept, especially some of the kickers who nailed their kicks.  NFL teams were watching that for sure.  

The NFL cares because they're getting NG sued over it. The average fan doesn't care. Dollars to donuts most of them miss the days of 'jacked up' segments more than anything else. 
The average fans' wives sure do.  Youth football numbers and HS football numbers are down across the board.  Somebody cares.

Quality of play was fine.  It's C- players playing against each other.  I bet more than a few of these guys are on NFL rosters come Sept, especially some of the kickers who nailed their kicks.  NFL teams were watching that for sure.  
If you're an NFL team, you're watching to see if anyone stands out that you can pick up.  I'm guessing maybe 4-5 non-kickers get signed after the season. :shrug:  

If you're an NFL team, you're watching to see if anyone stands out that you can pick up.  I'm guessing maybe 4-5 non-kickers get signed after the season. :shrug:  
But isn't this kind of the point?  No one is saying the XFL is trying to compete with the NFL.  It's more of a minor league system.  

While the attendance numbers were meh (especially for an opening day theme), the tv ratings were solid (2020 relative).  The first game on ABC drew a nice 3.3 million viewers. 

However, similar to attendance, it will be more telling to look at the ratings after a few weeks have gone by.

If the XFL can hold a 3 million + number, they are likely to be very very happy and will have a much easier time securing a respectable rights deal.

But isn't this kind of the point?  No one is saying the XFL is trying to compete with the NFL.  It's more of a minor league system.  
This. 

exactly what I’ve been saying will lead to the success of this league. Don’t try to go head to head with the big boys. Work with them. Develop players for them. When an NFL player drops out of favor, grab him in the XFL for a shot at “redemption”, etc. 

If the XFL can last more than 2-3 years, then I think we’ll see many many more recognizable names in that league, which will be a very good thing for them. 

I had the t.v. on for all 4 games this weekend and watched off and on. What can I say? I love football. I will be watching the games and I find it better than most anything else on t.v. on weekend afternoons this time of the year. If they can control costs I think they have a shot at surviving.

This. 

exactly what I’ve been saying will lead to the success of this league. Don’t try to go head to head with the big boys. Work with them. Develop players for them. When an NFL player drops out of favor, grab him in the XFL for a shot at “redemption”, etc. 

If the XFL can last more than 2-3 years, then I think we’ll see many many more recognizable names in that league, which will be a very good thing for them. 
Good for both, I think.  And after 2 years, if they prove themselves, I think you'll see bigger name players go straight to the XFL instead of college, because they will get paid.  Then they can be drafted into the NFL after two years.

Wildcats fire Defensive Coordinator.  Yikes.
what..... how??

they also released their team captain.

head coach Winston Moss was once with the Packers and got very upset about being passed over for the HC job.  bullet dodged there, boys.

I feel like the XFL is taunting my fantasy football teams by trotting our players that I faithfully held on my bench like Cameron Artis Payne and McGloin.
Did you ever stash Christine Michael? He had a perfectly Christine-Michael-kind-of-performance on Sunday, with 7 carries for 0 yards. Plus a fumble.

I bet he's still rostered in 99% of XFL fantasy leagues, though. Can't give up the dream on a fluke game, ya know!

I was thinking last night that it's funny that people are complaining the names of the teams are too plain and simple.  But then also complaining that the Battle Hawks is too dumb and not simple enough.  

Starting to think these people would be upset no matter what the team names were.

Users who are viewing this thread