What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is anyone actually giving the XFL a chance to redeem itself? (2 Viewers)

15,031 reported in DC for attendance.  That is not a terrible drop from week 1.   They probably want to hold this line to help minimize their first year losses.

Surprised they don't have sponsorship patches on their uniforms like NFL Europe.  Mt Dew would be a natural fit for the Vipers.
I was wondering about this too.  With no tv revenue, shirt sponsorship can be some decent coin when revenue is tight as is likely to be in the first couple of XFL years.

MLS teams make around $3-4m per team per season for shirt sponsorships

It isn’t as awful as I expected, so I was pleasantly surprised week 1. 

If I were commish, I’d have been interested in capturing the early-in crowd in summer to early fall before college and NFL and let the average fan have his/her break for a few months after the super bowl. 

I was wondering about this too.  With no tv revenue, shirt sponsorship can be some decent coin when revenue is tight as is likely to be in the first couple of XFL years.

MLS teams make around $3-4m per team per season for shirt sponsorships
Wait, no tv revenue?  

Wait, no tv revenue?  
No.  The games are being broadcast for free the first two seasons.  That was the easiest way to get them on the air with the big networks.

The ways these sometimes work with start up leagues is that the league will purchase the time from the networks and then try and break even by selling adds.  I don't know if that is how the XFL is doing it or if they have another method.

The goal is that Vince will have deep enough pockets to float the losses for two years and then sign a tv deal.  MLS did this for quite a while before finally signing a big deal.  It's not easy and takes some deep pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.  The games are being broadcast for free the first two seasons.  That was the easiest way to get them on the air with the big networks.

The goal is that Vince will have deep enough pockets to float the losses for two years and then sign a tv deal.
Wow.  No wonder the big networks are all in.

Probably saw an hour total of the two games today. Absolutely dreadful. Don’t know how the ratings hold for this. Was beyond bad imo. 

29,172 in Seattle.  Obviously the biggest attendance so far in any game.

Houston hosts their second game today, so like DC it will be important to watch how much they drop, if any.

Maybe they could limit the defense to 10 players or something to beef up scoring?
It's going to get rough if we don't see more/better offense.  Maybe put the defense on roller skates?

The thing is, I don't think the defenses are that much better.  Just bad QB play.  Plenty of open receivers are being missed.

Any option QBs in the league?  

It's going to get rough if we don't see more/better offense.  Maybe put the defense on roller skates?

The thing is, I don't think the defenses are that much better.  Just bad QB play.  Plenty of open receivers are being missed.

Any option QBs in the league?  
Yesterday the only competent qb was Cardale. So that’s 1/4 teams. Today the Houston qb looks good, Landry Jones should be fine, I don’t know who the STL or LA qbs are. So that’s maybe 3/8 teams with solid qb play. Not good. 

Yesterday the only competent qb was Cardale. So that’s 1/4 teams. Today the Houston qb looks good, Landry Jones should be fine, I don’t know who the STL or LA qbs are. So that’s maybe 3/8 teams with solid qb play. Not good. 
I can see Cardale getting another shot in the NFL.  I wonder how quick they will be to give guys a shot off the practice squad?  Not sure how McGloin could still be on a roster after yesterday

Probably saw an hour total of the two games today. Absolutely dreadful. Don’t know how the ratings hold for this. Was beyond bad imo. 
Yeah, I watched very little yesterday and what I did see was abysmal.  Matt McGloin was playing like a guy who was cut by every team he ever tried out for in any sport.  What. Was.  THAT????

Dallas -5 and St. Louis +8 :bag:

St. Louis QB was solid last week and can actually run a good bit. He was at Ole Miss with AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Dawson Knox and finished 2nd in the SEC is passing behind Tua.  I think he as an opportunity to build on his performance last week.  

Dallas going with Landry Jones today.  Should help improve their offense. Can't be any worse than Philip Nelson. 

LA might try Josh Johnson today but he's still hobbled.  If he can't go, LA should get destroyed.  They are missing two CBs today too. 

St. Louis QB was solid last week and can actually run a good bit. He was at Ole Miss with AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Dawson Knox and finished 2nd in the SEC is passing behind Tua.  I think he as an opportunity to build on his performance last week.  

Dallas going with Landry Jones today.  Should help improve their offense. Can't be any worse than Philip Nelson. 

LA might try Josh Johnson today but he's still hobbled.  If he can't go, LA should get destroyed.  They are missing two CBs today too. 
Oh yea that STL QB was good. I remember him at Ole Miss. Ok so like half the teams have decent qb play. I hope the league makes it, I enjoyed last weekend. 

Oh yea that STL QB was good. I remember him at Ole Miss. Ok so like half the teams have decent qb play. I hope the league makes it, I enjoyed last weekend. 
Yesterday was a good reminder as to why all these coaches have been fired multiple times or came out of lengthy retirements.  The game has passed a lot of them by.  Marc Trestman should be selling life insurance.  Kevin Gillbride should be arguing with somebody at the "Returns" section of Home Depot.  Jim Zorn should be helping his granddaughter file her first tax return.  

Seems to be way less penalty flags than most NFL games which is good obviously

Unrelated I think I’ve seen a female official in every game so far

Ehhhh....if I’ve gotta flip through like 5 channels and finally do a voice search and find out the game is on FS1 it’s probably time to fold up shop

The first 3 point XFL conversation made by LA...from the 5. 

(Dallas got flagged for offsides which moved it up.) 
Houston had a 15 yard penalty after a TD for a player removing his helmet. They tried a 1 point conversion from the 17. 

I think they should change the rule so penalties are applied to the kickoff and not the conversion. 

14,979 in LA.  That is the smallest crowd so far.  I watched some of that game and it was really quiet, very little atmosphere.

Didn’t catch the whole game but this Houston / STL game kinda has a bad TNF game vibe going for it

throw some nasty color rush bills / jets uni’s on these teams you might be able to convince me it’s an NFL game

Users who are viewing this thread