Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Yogibear

Is anyone actually giving the XFL a chance to redeem itself?

Recommended Posts

15,031 reported in DC for attendance.  That is not a terrible drop from week 1.   They probably want to hold this line to help minimize their first year losses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Capella said:

I just realized the Vipers look like a can of Mountain Dew 

Surprised they don't have sponsorship patches on their uniforms like NFL Europe.  Mt Dew would be a natural fit for the Vipers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

Surprised they don't have sponsorship patches on their uniforms like NFL Europe.  Mt Dew would be a natural fit for the Vipers.

I was wondering about this too.  With no tv revenue, shirt sponsorship can be some decent coin when revenue is tight as is likely to be in the first couple of XFL years.

 MLS teams make around $3-4m per team per season for shirt sponsorships

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn’t as awful as I expected, so I was pleasantly surprised week 1. 

If I were commish, I’d have been interested in capturing the early-in crowd in summer to early fall before college and NFL and let the average fan have his/her break for a few months after the super bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I was wondering about this too.  With no tv revenue, shirt sponsorship can be some decent coin when revenue is tight as is likely to be in the first couple of XFL years.

 MLS teams make around $3-4m per team per season for shirt sponsorships

Wait, no tv revenue?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, facook said:

Wait, no tv revenue?  

No.  The games are being broadcast for free the first two seasons.  That was the easiest way to get them on the air with the big networks.

The ways these sometimes work with start up leagues is that the league will purchase the time from the networks and then try and break even by selling adds.  I don't know if that is how the XFL is doing it or if they have another method.

The goal is that Vince will have deep enough pockets to float the losses for two years and then sign a tv deal.  MLS did this for quite a while before finally signing a big deal.  It's not easy and takes some deep pockets.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

No.  The games are being broadcast for free the first two seasons.  That was the easiest way to get them on the air with the big networks.

The goal is that Vince will have deep enough pockets to float the losses for two years and then sign a tv deal.

Wow.  No wonder the big networks are all in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor decision to kick from 4 yard line down 5 ends in a botched snap / hold.

Seems on brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Poor decision to kick from 4 yard line down 5 ends in a botched snap / hold.

Seems on brand.

Trestman...oooooof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Capella said:

Trestman is the worst football coach I’ve ever seen. 

Nice part about being miked up is that you can see how clueless he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Nice part about being miked up is that you can see how clueless he is.

How has he made it this far in football? Didn’t he win a grey cup? Nfl head coach. Sheesh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaxBill said:

Poor decision to kick from 4 yard line down 5 ends in a botched snap / hold.

Seems on brand.

That whole series was terrible.  That goal line offense was something out of the mesozoic era.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably saw an hour total of the two games today. Absolutely dreadful. Don’t know how the ratings hold for this. Was beyond bad imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Capella said:

Probably saw an hour total of the two games today. Absolutely dreadful. Don’t know how the ratings hold for this. Was beyond bad imo. 

Maybe they could limit the defense to 10 players or something to beef up scoring?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Maybe they could limit the defense to 10 players or something to beef up scoring?

Make them count 5 Mississippi before pass rushing?

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29,172 in Seattle.  Obviously the biggest attendance so far in any game.

Houston hosts their second game today, so like DC it will be important to watch how much they drop, if any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Maybe they could limit the defense to 10 players or something to beef up scoring?

It's going to get rough if we don't see more/better offense.  Maybe put the defense on roller skates?

The thing is, I don't think the defenses are that much better.  Just bad QB play.  Plenty of open receivers are being missed.

Any option QBs in the league?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WDIK2 said:

It's going to get rough if we don't see more/better offense.  Maybe put the defense on roller skates?

The thing is, I don't think the defenses are that much better.  Just bad QB play.  Plenty of open receivers are being missed.

Any option QBs in the league?  

Yesterday the only competent qb was Cardale. So that’s 1/4 teams. Today the Houston qb looks good, Landry Jones should be fine, I don’t know who the STL or LA qbs are. So that’s maybe 3/8 teams with solid qb play. Not good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yesterday the only competent qb was Cardale. So that’s 1/4 teams. Today the Houston qb looks good, Landry Jones should be fine, I don’t know who the STL or LA qbs are. So that’s maybe 3/8 teams with solid qb play. Not good. 

I can see Cardale getting another shot in the NFL.  I wonder how quick they will be to give guys a shot off the practice squad?  Not sure how McGloin could still be on a roster after yesterday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Capella said:

Probably saw an hour total of the two games today. Absolutely dreadful. Don’t know how the ratings hold for this. Was beyond bad imo. 

Yeah, I watched very little yesterday and what I did see was abysmal.  Matt McGloin was playing like a guy who was cut by every team he ever tried out for in any sport.  What. Was.  THAT????

 

Dallas -5 and St. Louis +8 :bag:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capella said:

Yesterday the only competent qb was Cardale. So that’s 1/4 teams. Today the Houston qb looks good, Landry Jones should be fine, I don’t know who the STL or LA qbs are. So that’s maybe 3/8 teams with solid qb play. Not good. 

St. Louis QB was solid last week and can actually run a good bit. He was at Ole Miss with AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Dawson Knox and finished 2nd in the SEC is passing behind Tua.  I think he as an opportunity to build on his performance last week.  

Dallas going with Landry Jones today.  Should help improve their offense. Can't be any worse than Philip Nelson. 

LA might try Josh Johnson today but he's still hobbled.  If he can't go, LA should get destroyed.  They are missing two CBs today too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, General Malaise said:

St. Louis QB was solid last week and can actually run a good bit. He was at Ole Miss with AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Dawson Knox and finished 2nd in the SEC is passing behind Tua.  I think he as an opportunity to build on his performance last week.  

Dallas going with Landry Jones today.  Should help improve their offense. Can't be any worse than Philip Nelson. 

LA might try Josh Johnson today but he's still hobbled.  If he can't go, LA should get destroyed.  They are missing two CBs today too. 

Oh yea that STL QB was good. I remember him at Ole Miss. Ok so like half the teams have decent qb play. I hope the league makes it, I enjoyed last weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Capella said:

 

Oh yea that STL QB was good. I remember him at Ole Miss. Ok so like half the teams have decent qb play. I hope the league makes it, I enjoyed last weekend. 

Yesterday was a good reminder as to why all these coaches have been fired multiple times or came out of lengthy retirements.  The game has passed a lot of them by.  Marc Trestman should be selling life insurance.  Kevin Gillbride should be arguing with somebody at the "Returns" section of Home Depot.  Jim Zorn should be helping his granddaughter file her first tax return.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the Vipers couldn't get any offense going yesterday. That's not great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3-0 game close to the half. This weekend is going to be disastrous for the league down the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a big fan of the kickoff rule. This far safer than what the NFL and college have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first 3 point XFL conversation made by LA...from the 5. 

(Dallas got flagged for offsides which moved it up.) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Capella said:

They’re gonna have to set these unders at 27.5

Sorry for anyone playing in XFL fantasy leagues. I think the defensive players have scored more TDs this weekend than the offensive players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XFL is making a case for retraction in the NFL, not for more pro football. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to be way less penalty flags than most NFL games which is good obviously

Unrelated I think I’ve seen a female official in every game so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

XFL is making a case for retraction in the NFL, not for more pro football. 

*contraction 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ehhhh....if I’ve gotta flip through like 5 channels and finally do a voice search and find out the game is on FS1 it’s probably time to fold up shop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

*contraction 

That too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Seems to be way less penalty flags than most NFL games which is good obviously

Unrelated I think I’ve seen a female official in every game so far

One of the announcer last week said that each crew will have a female official.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Servo said:

The first 3 point XFL conversation made by LA...from the 5. 

(Dallas got flagged for offsides which moved it up.) 

Houston had a 15 yard penalty after a TD for a player removing his helmet. They tried a 1 point conversion from the 17. 

I think they should change the rule so penalties are applied to the kickoff and not the conversion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14,979 in LA.  That is the smallest crowd so far.  I watched some of that game and it was really quiet, very little atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

The first 3 point XFL conversation made by LA...from the 5. 

(Dallas got flagged for offsides which moved it up.) 

Did they start off going for 3? Or did they start off going for 2, then decided to move back after the penalty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was down, but that was a crazy good play by P Walker.  He's going to get an NFL job next year I'd think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Did they start off going for 3? Or did they start off going for 2, then decided to move back after the penalty?

Started off going for 3.  I don't think they can change their declaration after a penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

 

Unrelated I think I’ve seen a female official in every game so far

This is a league mandate by McMahon to have a female on every officiating crew. Good on him for that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, facook said:

He was down, but that was a crazy good play by P Walker.  He's going to get an NFL job next year I'd think.

Yeah, he has been good. I could see Andy Reid taking a look at him as a back up.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t catch the whole game but this Houston / STL game kinda has a bad TNF game vibe going for it

throw some nasty color rush bills / jets uni’s on these teams you might be able to convince me it’s an NFL game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

June Jones is still ahead of his time coaching. Just basically iced it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

14,979 in LA.  That is the smallest crowd so far.  I watched some of that game and it was really quiet, very little atmosphere.

What do they expect? There’s 2 NFL teams in LA now and one of them can’t sell out a small MLS stadium. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.