What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gender Reveal Parties... (1 Viewer)

DallasDMac said:
You aren't married are you?

I've never been to one either. But if any of my wife's kids had one, I'm not dense enough to believe I wouldn't be there.
Been married for 20 years. 

Trying to remember how we told people.

1. did an unofficial sonogram first (friend did it for us) nurse told us it was a girl. Called our parents, didn't tell anyone else. Did the official sonogram, saw he was a boy, clear as day, called our parents and others. 

2. Sonogram, called our parents and family, told others.

3. 4-D Sonogram, called our parents and family, told others.

4. Had the doctor write the gender on a card, in an envelope. Kept it sealed. We moved to Charlottesville, the card was with the moving stuff. I went out a couple weeks early to unpack and get things set up. I opened the card, read it. Shredded it. Never told the wife I knew. :bag:  (honestly, the only secret I've kept from her in 22 years). Acted surprised when he was born.

5. Announced we were adopting on Facebook with a picture with a pink heart in a map of China held by the boys. 

I guess 5 was a reveal of sorts. 

DallasDMac said:
You aren't married are you?

I've never been to one either. But if any of my wife's kids had one, I'm not dense enough to believe I wouldn't be there.
My wife's kids are my kids and I'm still not going. 

Been married for 20 years. 
:hifive: there comes a point you stand up and refuse to do stupid ####. Still do other stupid ####, but we select the stupid #### we do.

Huh? 😕 They needed to identify the patient, the pregnant patient, as female? 
from what I remember, it was basic patient info at the top above the image: Name, DOB, Gender, etc. Guys get sonograms too (I had one for some possible heart issues), so I'm assuming this info was just for patient ID purposes. 

from what I remember, it was basic patient info at the top above the image: Name, DOB, Gender, etc. Guys get sonograms too (I had one for some possible heart issues), so I'm assuming this info was just for patient ID purposes. 
I guess. We've had 4. Don't recall her gender being on the picture, but then we were just looking at a computer screen. 

I've never been to one and certainly don't get it, but as we all get busier, pretty much any reason to get together, shoot the ####, and have a few cold pops is a good one.

I've never been to one and certainly don't get it, but as we all get busier, pretty much any reason to get together, shoot the ####, and have a few cold pops is a good one.
Agree, I think they are kind of pointless but when did we stop enjoying food, drinking, cake and hanging out?  I think I’ve been to one and the actual reveal part was maybe 2-3 minutes of the 2 hours.  

It's a trend here and many places I imagine. 

Apparently women figured out that baby showers and bridal showers suck, so they're trying to make them co-ed because misery loves company. 

My Gf dragged me to one co-Ed baby shower. Saw the suffering on all the guys faces, and promised to never drag me to one again. 
Yep, they figured out that while those boring ### baby showers were going on the guys were probably getting together, drinking, and actually having fun.   Can't have that bolded going on so..…. couple's showers!

Agree, I think they are kind of pointless but when did we stop enjoying food, drinking, cake and hanging out?  I think I’ve been to one and the actual reveal part was maybe 2-3 minutes of the 2 hours.  
I think it hits levels of annoying when they are constantly trying to outdo each other—another byproduct of the "look at me" generations. Seems everything is done to be big and grand so it can be posted on social media and like-whored.

Ohhh maybe having a guy jump out of an airplane with either a pink or blue parachute will get us on Ellen...make sure and tag her! 

not very long ago, back when I had my kids, most people didn't even want to know the gender in favor of being surprised at delivery. now as soon as you get preggo people are like "are you having a gender reveal???" Its like everyone wants to speed up time, no one one is satisfied with waiting to find out. 

Very stupid. Very millennial. ”CELEBRATE ME!  Celebrate my great accomplishments!!”

Congrats on successfully having sex?
This. Pretty much the ultimate "LOOK AT ME!!!!" moment.

Pretty sure we're less than 3 years away from destination gender reveal parties.

I know quite a few people who have done them. Really silly imo.  I would never tell them that. We just had ours and told everyone what we were having after we found out. 

How dare people celebrate a major life achievement in a way that they want.  The nerve. 
Finding out the gender of your unborn child is a major life achievement that you must share publicly? Cmon :lol:   Giving birth? Sure. 

Echoing the self-absorbed "Look at me" comments. Want to pull some elaborate social media stunt to capture you finding out the gender of your child? Knock yourself out. Just don't expect me to make a hole in my schedule to accommodate it. 

How dare people celebrate a major life achievement in a way that they want.  The nerve. 
It isn't the fact you (the general you, not you you) want to celebrate. It's the fact you drag all your friends in to it, knowing they can't say no. So they sit there and die a little inside just so you can have your moment.

It isn't the fact you (the general you, not you you) want to celebrate. It's the fact you drag all your friends in to it, knowing they can't say no. So they sit there and die a little inside just so you can have your moment.
Actually I don’t mind the party so much.  It’s the idea that a few feel the need to “go big” for a simple 50/50 split that people are actually getting hurt or causing “major fails”.  It’s pink or blue people.  We don’t need fireworks and airplanes. 

glvsav37 said:
I'd love to hear from the "children choose their own gender" crew on this topic 
I’d like to see the reaction when a blend of pink and blue-purple? gets shot out of a tractor stack during a redneck gender reveal get together 

The exact same thing happened two years ago.  Just more evidence that the simulation is glitching.
And all the more reason to simply ban making a benign and completely meaningless spectacle for something that literally has zero meaning to anyone outside the parents.

I don't even get why it's meaningful for parents. It mattered not one bit to my wife and I which gender our kids were -- all we cared about was that they arrived healthy.

And all the more reason to simply ban making a benign and completely meaningless spectacle for something that literally has zero meaning to anyone outside the parents.

I don't even get why it's meaningful for parents. It mattered not one bit to my wife and I which gender our kids were -- all we cared about was that they arrived healthy.
I blame Hallmark.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:

People have become major attention whores for social media. As if anyone cares WTF gender their stupid baby is. We can't stop people from being dumb AF, but was CAN reply to invitations with an "F-U".

Ok, I have to admit I thought these were some millennial coming out of the closet or pronoun party or something along those lines. Not baby gender.  Damn.

not very long ago, back when I had my kids, most people didn't even want to know the gender in favor of being surprised at delivery. now as soon as you get preggo people are like "are you having a gender reveal???" Its like everyone wants to speed up time, no one one is satisfied with waiting to find out. 
The bolded above was my wife and I...didn't find out the gender until birth.  It was great for our approach not knowing, kept us from receiving hundreds of blue or pink items, and was generally well received by most friends and family.  However, there was a small minority of individuals that this "not finding out" really pissed off.

Doesn't mean a lavish gender reveal party makes total sense, but I do understand a bit more after experiencing some pushback.  Note: we didn't find out the gender of child #2 either. 😄 They dealt with it better the second time around.

The bolded above was my wife and I...didn't find out the gender until birth.  It was great for our approach not knowing, kept us from receiving hundreds of blue or pink items, and was generally well received by most friends and family.  However, there was a small minority of individuals that this "not finding out" really pissed off.

Doesn't mean a lavish gender reveal party makes total sense, but I do understand a bit more after experiencing some pushback.  Note: we didn't find out the gender of child #2 either. 😄 They dealt with it better the second time around.
This is some serious self-absorbed ###hole type stuff right here :lol:  

They got mad at YOU because YOU didn't want to know and share the sex of YOUR baby with them in advance? Anyone that pulled that with me, short of possibly my parents/brother (who wouldn't do that) would get a laugh and a "lose my number". 

This is just an added bonus to not finding out.  We never found out with any of our kids and it was perfect.  You are not supposed to know or the woman would turn pink/blue ahead of time.  Just be surprised and enjoy the actual event of having a baby.  

It did make it better as you could reuse the things you got for #1 on #2.  Works much better that way.  

Users who are viewing this thread