What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite "Steely Dan" Song (1 Viewer)

Steely Dan

• Peg

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • My Old School

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Dirty Work

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Hey Nineteen

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Rikki Don't Lose That Number

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Babylon Sisters

• Reeling In The Years

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • FM

• Josie

• Deacon Blues

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Do It Again

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Kid Charlemagne

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Black Cow

• Black Friday

• Other

Votes: 8 10.7%

• Total voters
Like them all but went with "My Old School"  love the horns in that song.

Do it again and Dirty Work were close.    I remember the first time I ever smoked weed we were in my buddy's apartment at Michigan.  He had just bought the then  top of the line Bose 901 speakers, the ones on a stand. After we hit the bong he put on Do it Again and then My Old School by Steely Dan and I was mesmerized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aja album was just so cool and polished. One of the best of all time. I appreciate its entirety as much now as I did then. But, got introduced to Steely Dan with Can't Buy a Thrill. Brings me back to a great time when my friends and I were just getting our licenses; driving around, smoking and listening to awesome music. Loved Do it Again, but went with Reeling in the Years for the guitar work.

My favorite song as far as lyrics/vocals go, one that I think deserves consideration; Dont Take Me Alive

Pretty sure we've done this at least once, but it's probably been years.

Too many to choose, but the title track "Aja" is at the top for me. Steve Gadd's drumming is just filthy.

I really only know the band’s name, not their catalogue.  But, at my friends beach wedding they had a steel drum guy for the reception and he went by the moniker of Steely Pan and that made me laugh.

Skipping down ...

My favorite Dan song now is "Time Out of Mind". "Deacon Blues" and "Dirty Work" are right there at the top for me, too, but I voted Other to give "Time Out of Mind" some love.

And wow- didn't know dirty work was theirs!
Doesn't sound like most of their other tunes, largely because they had a different lead singer here (David Palmer) who left shortly after the debut album. He did sing lead on a lot of their songs early on when they played live, as Fagen was supposedly very stage shy at that point.

reeling in the years.....really???    you people disappoint me.

My old school is current favorite.   That changes every so often.   Heard it live here at jazzfest a few years ago and it has just kept playing in the head.   One of Beckers last shows. :(

Gotta love California cocaine rock, as the man who introduced me called it. Been a fan since grad school. It's all good. I went with Reeling, but there are no wrong answers

Too many to choose from.

The only time I sang karaoke I picked Deacon Blues

Babylon Sisters was playing in the background when I "got together" with a young lady in college whom I had known and crushed on for years.

Have other great memories attached to multiple others.

On the list provided, I will choose Josie; she prays like a Roman with her eyes on fire.

In reality, there can't be only one, and Fagan's solo work muddles it even more for me.

I always loved True Companion from the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack. It's listed as a Donald Fagen song, but IIRC Steely Dan was in the middle of one of their many legal battles, creative clashes, and disbanded around the time the song came out (1981). I am not sure if it started out as a SD song and finished as a Fagen solo song or not. The song ended up on SD's "Gold" greatest hits album and they played it in their live sets when they got back together. In any event, it's certainly not in the mainstay of SD tracks but still one of my faves . . . 

"Deacon Blues" seduced this punk rockin'/thrash/glam/Goth head some 40 yrs ago, and it continues to make the sweetest love evah to my ears. 

a genre busting masterpiece. 

:wub:
My choice too. Mrs O is not a fan. Couldn’t get her to go see them in Vegas last time, but maybe I’ll go alone if they’re doing another residency.

The Caves of Altimara  https://youtu.be/_l6PR4l3FF8 Is one I didn’t see listed and Don’t Take Me Alive is amazing.  The intro from Larry Carlton on Don’t Take Me Alive is just spectacular.  I didn’t vote because honestly , I couldn’t even pick a favorite album let alone song.

steely dan - show biz kids

While the poor people sleepin'
With the shade on the light
All the stars come out at night

After closing time
At the Guernsey Fair
I detect the El Supremo
From the room at the top of the stairs
Well I've been around the world
And I've been in the Washington Zoo
And in all my travels as the facts unravel
I've found this to be true

They got the house on the corner
With the rug inside
They got the booze they need
All that money can buy
They got the shapely bodys
They got the Steely Dan T-shirt
And for the coup-de-gras
They're outrageous

Let me tell you

Show business kids making movies
Of themselves you know they
Don't give a #### about anybody else
You know you go to

Encyclopedia,

1st, thank you for doing this.

My vote, Deacon Blues.

#2, My Old School, because it's great, and my initial exposure, and pretty early in my getting high days. So......

Tough one.  Sappy me loves ‘Dirty Work’. Depressed me loves ‘Deacon Blues’. Dope historian me love ’Kid Charlemagne’. 

Voted Kid. 

I voted Peg, as it is my favorite of theirs and one of my favorite songs in general. The rhythm tracks laid down by Rick Marotta and Chuck Rainey are all timers.

My second favorite of theirs is probably Night By Night. The horns are superb, there are a couple of great guitar solos, and the lyrics are especially jagged.

Another one not mentioned, that I again enjoy for the rhythm tracks, is Home At Last. I can (and have) listen to that Bernard Purdie shuffle for hours on end.

Honorable mentions include Pretzel Logic, The Fez, Don't Take Me Alive, Babylon Sisters, Time Out Of Mind, The Caves Of Altamira, Charlie Freak, Doctor Wu, FM, RIkki Don't Lose That Number,  Bodhisattva, probably a bunch of other ones I'm not remembering right now.

One of my top 10 artists of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread