What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamb vs Jeudy, who you like? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I must tell you I'm reading a lot and listening to podcast about both and came to the conclusion you can't go wrong with either.  I lean just a tad toward Jeudy.  

Jeudy is not only ultra-talented and he is the most polished (a term looked at negatively a lot of times). Jeudy has quick feet, is fast, gains separation, and is the best route runner in the country.   Lamb is fast, has great hands,, can catch very well in traffic, tracks the ball great and is 1.5 inches taller than Jeudy, but is considered somewhat raw (a term also viewed as a negative sometimes) and lean.  

One could be so lucky to get either IMO.

ETA:  Kind of reminds me of the A J Green vs Julio Jones when they were rookies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like both, and could argue they could/should be rookie picks 1.1/1.2, just like Green/Julio should have been in hindsight.

I would disagree with your take on Lamb. He is not raw at all, and is more NFL ready than Jeudy is. Lamb played all over the formation, where as Jeudy has mostly only played the slot. While that certainly doesn't mean he is limited to that, there just isn't as much evidence that he can do both as Lamb has. Jeudy is a better athlete, but Lamb is a better(or at least more complete) route runner. 

To oversimplify, Jeudy is kind of an Odell Beckham without the attitude issues type, and Lamb is somewhere on the DeAndre Hopkins/Roddy White spectrum. Lamb is a safer pick and the one I would draft 1st as an NFL team, but that is not a knock on Jeudy at all. Frankly, I think both should be gone in the top 4-8 picks.These are the 2 best WR's to come out since at least Amari Cooper, with the caveat that nobody(not even the Saints) thought Michael Thomas would be this good. They could both absolutely be top-10 NFL WR's by the end of their rookie seasons. 

The combine will be really interesting. Jeudy is expected to run 4.4, where as Lamb is expected to be about 4.5. I think it is so close, that the 1st one drafted will likely be the one who exceeds expectations greater. Basically, if Lamb is within .10 of Jeudy's 40, I'd expect Lamb to get picked 1st, as he's more technically proficient, but if Jeudy shows the speed gap is wider he goes 1st. The Cardinals are an interesting team, because they could use a young #1 WR, and Lamb already has a rapport with Kyler Murray. Its a steal if either of these guys make it past Arizona.

2 of 3 of Lamb's QBs won the Heisman and the other almost did. From a top conference where everyone knew his name since his freshman year and he still succeeded. Can you imagine the effort DCs put into shutting down his QBs top weapon or his QBs? He's seen everything and anything. A fun debate is whether it was him, the QBs or both were great. 

Works hard then runs free. He's not always trying for the homerun with his speed or just looking like a better athlete, he puts the work in on his route then enjoys the fruits of it. 

Could be better at the sideline and boxing out. Doesn't have insane ups, just regular. Could use some muscle to his frame.

Jeudy plays bigger than his size like Hakeem Nicks and many others- no one told them they're not 6-6. I really like that about him. He's special and what I say is about to be negative but geesh he's special. He fakes often like a little kid. His cut should be the fake most of the time, so smooth that he's past the CB. Never do that head fake again, no one in the NFL falls for that. This will be fixed day one and fine by day three, it's simple, but it bugs me. It's all too much and there should be more pride in his route doing that. He's a better #1 in 10 years ago NFL because he thinks he's 6-6. In today's game, with all the short passing quick snap stuff, I think I'd go Lamb.

He's a better #1 in 10 years ago NFL because he thinks he's 6-6. In today's game, with all the short passing quick snap stuff, I think I'd go Lamb.
I would think the better route runner who can gain separation with quick feet and speed would be more suited to the short passing.  Lamb is the better WR for contested balls, not Jeudy.  Lamb has quickness also, but some question his speed.

I like them both, and landing spot will certainly matter of course, but to me Jeudy looks like he can be great, but Lamb looks like he can be elite.  I really hate that I'm not going to be able to obtain him in dynasty because I think he's going to be special.

Jeudy ... is the best route runner in the country. 

Lamb is a better(or at least more complete) route runner.

Lamb ... he puts the work in on his route then enjoys the fruits of it.

I would think the better route runner who can gain separation with quick feet and speed (Jeudy)

So which one is it?  For the last two years I have been unscientifically counting mentions of "route running" as it pertains to rookie receivers, and to date I have seen two for Jeudy and none for Lamb.  This count does not include randos on internet message boards, only articles from "trusted" sources.

FWIW, both of these players are five or more mentions behind the two players who have had that phrase uttered the most, but that may primarily be due to the circumstances of when I started paying attention.

It is a bit of a preference. Jeudy is a Diggs+ type and Lamb is a Thielen+ type.  Which kind of receiver would you prefer? 

So which one is it?  For the last two years I have been unscientifically counting mentions of "route running" as it pertains to rookie receivers, and to date I have seen two for Jeudy and none for Lamb.  This count does not include randos on internet message boards, only articles from "trusted" sources.
Until I know who is throwing to them I got Jeudy ranked above Lamb and he is my highest ranked rookie Cooper. My reasoning is route running, I think that skill makes you a safer pick then any other trait and it helps you produce quickly.

I got to be honest I don't put much stock in Todd McShay but he called Jeudy the best route runner he had ever seen in college.

Here is a good article from before the season on what some had to say on his route running: Jerry Jeudys best skill is running routes

Not a fan of Jeudy, I think for fantasy he'll be a WR2 at best long term.
I remember drafting Antonio Brown in a 2013 startup at 5.10 and thinking to myself he's probably never going to be a WR1 but should be a rock solid WR2.

Over the years, starting with him and Welker I learned the folly of this line of thinking and really I have no idea, especially in PPR, how someone can really believe the statement you make.  I don't think anyone looked at players like Edelman, Welker, Kupp or Brown and thought of them as WR1's. If you catch a lot of passes, you'll be a WR1 and I don't know how predraft anyone can really believe he'd be a WR2 at best. That thinking only makes sense to me if you are going to take a stronger stance that Jeudy sucks, because players that suck don't become WR1's but we've got countless examples of all kinds of different styles, speeds, shape and sized WR's who become WR1 fantasy players.

I remember drafting Antonio Brown in a 2013 startup at 5.10 and thinking to myself he's probably never going to be a WR1 but should be a rock solid WR2.

Over the years, starting with him and Welker I learned the folly of this line of thinking and really I have no idea, especially in PPR, how someone can really believe the statement you make.  I don't think anyone looked at players like Edelman, Welker, Kupp or Brown and thought of them as WR1's. If you catch a lot of passes, you'll be a WR1 and I don't know how predraft anyone can really believe he'd be a WR2 at best. That thinking only makes sense to me if you are going to take a stronger stance that Jeudy sucks, because players that suck don't become WR1's but we've got countless examples of all kinds of different styles, speeds, shape and sized WR's who become WR1 fantasy players.
Jeudy sucks.  Better?  

Hard to take you seriously with statements like this. I don't see anything in his game that would make me think he will be terrible. He may or may not ever reach elite but his characteristics have the makings of a guy who can be a productive football player. 
Don't take me seriously then.  I said he'll max out as a WR2 but apparently that wasn't good enough for people here.  Does he actually suck?  No.  Is he a great prospect, NO he isn't.

I don't like his high point ability (not exactly a fair criticism cause he wasn't used that way a lot), I don't like his route running, I don't like his DR, I don't like his size.  I saw an above average prospect who is good at creating space for himself.  That's it.  He's basically Lamar Jackson, if he did come out as a WR and lost 25 pounds.  I think they actually move very similarly in open space.  I don't think that he can hold up and he's being talked up because Alabama.  Same with Ruggs.  

This appears to be a very unpopular opinion regarding him.  What specifically don't you like about it?
Just a few times where I saw him turn "weirdly" to the football.  Don't really know how else to describe it.  Wish I wrote down which game it was, but there were multiple instances he where it looked like he broke towards the DB (before the ball was thrown).   I'll look for those examples tonight if I have time.  Maybe that's just his open space awareness, I'm not sure. 

He isn't calm in his body movement either when making cuts or catches.  There's a panic to it.  He moves quick for sure, but I see a guy that relies on athleticism more than technique.  

He'll still be a top10 rookie pick for, purely because he's going to be viewed highly by the NFL, but my actual ranking of Jeudy will be lower than most.  I wouldn't want him for my NFL team, wouldn't pay for him as a fantasy asset cause he's likely to be overrated.  

Don't take me seriously then.  I said he'll max out as a WR2 but apparently that wasn't good enough for people here.  Does he actually suck?  No.  Is he a great prospect, NO he isn't.

I don't like his high point ability (not exactly a fair criticism cause he wasn't used that way a lot), I don't like his route running, I don't like his DR, I don't like his size.  I saw an above average prospect who is good at creating space for himself.  That's it.  He's basically Lamar Jackson, if he did come out as a WR and lost 25 pounds.  I think they actually move very similarly in open space.  I don't think that he can hold up and he's being talked up because Alabama.  Same with Ruggs.  
Not good enough for people? Maybe your taking yourself too seriously. Doesn’t sound like you think he sucks based on your response. There is a huge gap between being great and sucking. Thank you for clarifying your statement.

Did you like Marvin Harrison's or Isaac Bruce's route running? Because he's sort of like them in that regard. It's absolutely his best trait and calling card. I can't find a single fault with him on that front and he's one of the best prospects at it in recent memory. 

Don't like Jeudy's route running?  Wow, I disagree.  Hell, he's the best route runner coming out of college in a long long time.  Definitely the best in college football today.

Can you provide examples? I've seen this comparison parroted by a few people and I'm actually curious to see it, or if it's just being parroted. If there are video comparisons then I think it's worth discussing. 
I think I'm the only person on this board that compared him to Bruce. Not sure about other sources. I've watched a lot of video and he has that smooth, crisp style that is NFL ready. 

Bruce is one of my favorite WR of all time and I see similarities in the precise route running and physical ability. He knows how to separate and get open. 

There are multiple scouts comparing him to Harrison although I don't know of any side-by-side video comparisons on youtube or other.  

Obviously having an elite, accurate QB like Warner or Manning is the other critical part of the success equation for this type of WR. 

Thanks. I appreciate the response

I find the Harrison comp to be kind of lazy... their body types are very similar and both were/are regarded as polished route runners. IMO that's about where their similarities end. But that's mostly because no one has really offered any other kind of explanation or given me video side by side where they look like twins. 

I appreciate the insight regarding Bruce.

I havent watched him run routes. Historical stats are against him being an elite WR, so that is my biggest knock
You haven’t watched him yet you use some stats to discard him as elite.  That is lazy, as you responded to me on the Harrison comparison.  Ok.  Like Harrison he runs great routes, has quick feet, is fast, gains separation and has great hands.

There are a lot of wrs who run great routes. If people have "tape" that shows them running similar quality routes I'd love to see it.

I dont count youtube highlights as watching him, because its highlights. What about lowlights? I saw 1.5 games of his this year. He looks good but I feel like he is overrated in the fantasy community. 

What I mean by lazy is that it starts with a height/weight comparison. 

You like to use this comp a lot, and I did not mean to direct the lazy remark toward you; I wouldnt regard you as lazy in your analysis. Weve disagreed on players in the past but I've always respected where you got your opinion from. I will disagree here that Jeudy has the tools to be elite. 
I believe I compared more than physical traits to size with Harrison.  As a matter of fact I never compared physical traits of size and height between the two as I recall.  Please link any posts where I did.  Now that would be lazy if I did.

I guess it's personal preference but I'd rate Jeudy at this stage well above Lamb, mainly because he looks more explosive to me. I'll be interested to see what they do at the combine. 

JohnnyU said:
Don't like Jeudy's route running?  Wow, I disagree.  Hell, he's the best route runner coming out of college in a long long time.  Definitely the best in college football today.
Yes, I absolutely don't want to attack that comment because I appreciate people bringing their own opinion into the discussion and not just parroting people but of all the things to not like Jeudy over this one floored me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Dr. Dan said:
Situations change on a dime. I find judging inside a vacuum is good to get your biases on landing spot out of the way. Talent over situation IMO
Very true if there is a definite separation in talent. Not sure if this is such a case.

I don't watch much college ball but I haven't been instantly impressed too often like I was watching Lamb versus Texas last season. I don't know how you can't be excited about what he'll bring.

I must tell you I'm reading a lot and listening to podcast about both and came to the conclusion you can't go wrong with either.  I lean just a tad toward Jeudy.  

Jeudy is not only ultra-talented and he is the most polished (a term looked at negatively a lot of times). Jeudy has quick feet, is fast, gains separation, and is the best route runner in the country.   Lamb is fast, has great hands,, can catch very well in traffic, tracks the ball great and is 1.5 inches taller than Jeudy, but is considered somewhat raw (a term also viewed as a negative sometimes) and lean.  

One could be so lucky to get either IMO.

ETA:  Kind of reminds me of the A J Green vs Julio Jones when they were rookies.
This exactly how I feel. Whoever doesn’t go to the Jets is who I will target

I think 2 of them are gone by pick 12, and we could see 4-5 in Round 1.
Agree they both should be gone by pick 12.

I actually would go a step further and think we could see as any as 7 WR's in round 1, especially since almost all the teams from 20-32 could use a WR. The only team in that group where a WR would really surprise me would be the Vikings at 25, and maybe Seattle at 27.

I think this is the deepest and best WR class in several years, and is coming at a perfect time. Could see 15+ WR's going in the 1st 3 rounds.

Agree they both should be gone by pick 12.

I actually would go a step further and think we could see as any as 7 WR's in round 1, especially since almost all the teams from 20-32 could use a WR.
So hard to say right now but my guess at least one of Lamb or Jeudy is available at 12. I'd actually go with both being available before I'd say none.

And if I had to put number who go in round one I'd say 5, with 3 at most in top 20.

I think the depth of the class, combined with lack of success of first round WR's, will work to push them down a little in and out of round one. So I agree a lot of teams could use a WR, but I feel like a lot of those teams will feel like they can wait.

Just one man's opinion.

I can’t wait to see if Juedy or Lamb falls to me at 1.05. I’m sorta glad I won’t have to make a decision on which one. 

Users who are viewing this thread