What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamb vs Jeudy, who you like? (1 Viewer)

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  You're citing combine numbers to justify the picks, and I am saying that's exactly what I am avoiding. 
All you saw in that post was combine numbers? I was including comibe numbers, season metrics, season stats and the opinions of film watchers and NFL insiders. What about the guys who did really well at the combine and significantly increased their draft stock and have been good pros? DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, DJ Chark, Courtland Sutton. 

All you saw in that post was combine numbers? I was including comibe numbers, season metrics, season stats and the opinions of film watchers and NFL insiders. What about the guys who did really well at the combine and significantly increased their draft stock and have been good pros? DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, DJ Chark, Courtland Sutton. 
I think it would be impossible not to find at least some film watchers who like players.  As I said, there will be pundits saying Ruggs and Hamler are clear 1st round picks after they blow up the combine.  

The decent season metrics don't really differentiate them much from the other prospects.  Most guys in this range have decent dominator and breakout age, and if not that is certainly a big red flag for sure to factor in as well.  If prospects aren't meeting certain thresholds here they are already downgraded quite a bit for me.  

Of the 4 prospects you mentioned, 3 of those lost value after year one (probably because they went to lower end offenses or not ideal situations).  Chark, drafted by the dumbest team, was totally written off after his rookie season.   I don't think any of these, except for Chark, really fit the profile of a player who skyrocketed up the draft board after a big combine and got over drafted by a bad team.   That said, I don't think these players are good arguments against avoiding combine stud risers who get over drafted by dumb teams because they were not really good rookie draft picks either.   Other than Moore who was a great prospect regardless of combine (98th percentile breakout age) all took at least a year to do much of anything, and could have been acquired cheaper later on than they could have in the rookie draft. 

I'm a big believer in draft capital for the most part, but I am learning that with WR you have to be very careful with that.  Don't get faked out into drafting Andy Isabella over DK Metcalf because of the combine and then combine influenced draft capital is what I'm saying.  If it's a bad team and the prospect wasn't amazing before the combine there is just too much to overcome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The NFL puts a far higher premium on speed then fantasy players and not sure what exactly is the conversation here but if it's high real NFL draft selecting is causing fantasy players to put a higher premium on those players I think you got to be careful of doing this for the speed players.

It's like I was listening to Mike Lombardi a few years ago, back when Kelvin Benjamin was actually decent and thought of as Carolina's #1. He said no teams worry about Benjamin, it's Ted Ginn they all worry about.

I think it would be impossible not to find at least some film watchers who like players.  As I said, there will be pundits saying Ruggs and Hamler are clear 1st round picks after they blow up the combine.   

The decent season metrics don't really differentiate them much from the other prospects.  Most guys in this range have decent dominator and breakout age, and if not that is certainly a big red flag for sure to factor in as well.  If prospects aren't meeting certain thresholds here they are already downgraded quite a bit for me.  

Of the 4 prospects you mentioned, 3 of those lost value after year one (probably because they went to lower end offenses or not ideal situations). 

Chark, drafted by the dumbest team, was totally written off after his rookie season.   I don't think any of these, except for Chark, really fit the profile of a player who skyrocketed up the draft board after a big combine and got over drafted by a bad team.   That said, I don't think these players are good arguments against avoiding combine stud risers who get over drafted by dumb teams because they were not really good rookie draft picks either.   Other than Moore who was a great prospect regardless of combine (98th percentile breakout age) all took at least a year to do much of anything, and could have been acquired cheaper later on than they could have in the rookie draft. 

I'm a big believer in draft capital for the most part, but I am learning that with WR you have to be very careful with that.  Don't get faked out into drafting Andy Isabella over DK Metcalf because of the combine and then combine influenced draft capital is what I'm saying.  If it's a bad team and the prospect wasn't amazing before the combine there is just too much to overcome. 
FWIW, I am looking at some 2018 mocks from pre combine. You are right, Sutton was pegged properly. Moore was more of the WR3-4 and going mid 2nd so I do think his huge combine thrust him up. His dominator and breakout age were great but his raw stats weren't and lots of film guys weren't overly impressed. Same with Godwin, he was getting mocked in the 4th round pre-combine. I am not saying there isn't validity to avoid guys who shoot up boards with great combines, but if they also have good metrics and tape why avoid them? 

ETA: I thought Godwin went 2nd but he ended up 3rd so you ate right he didn’t get a big boost even though he should have 

I wouldn’t say the book has been written for Isabella vs metcalf just yet. ETA- I wouldn’t have, and didn’t, advocate for drafting Isabella over do in rookie drafts however
That Robby Anderson is going to get north of ten million should tell one all one needs to know. Also, watching Will Fuller draw double coverage almost every play was something last year.

FWIW, I am looking at some 2018 mocks from pre combine. You are right, Sutton was pegged properly. Moore was more of the WR3-4 and going mid 2nd so I do think his huge combine thrust him up. His dominator and breakout age were great but his raw stats weren't and lots of film guys weren't overly impressed. Same with Godwin, he was getting mocked in the 4th round pre-combine. I am not saying there isn't validity to avoid guys who shoot up boards with great combines, but if they also have good metrics and tape why avoid them? 

ETA: I thought Godwin went 2nd but he ended up 3rd so you ate right he didn’t get a big boost even though he should have 
I appreciate you bring up some good points and trying to find some holes in this.  I think it has to be carefully used because it's too easy to think we know better.  

The main usage for this year is probably just if Ruggs goes number 11 to the Jets.  Ruggs isn't a Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones or AJ Green type of can't miss type of prospect that deserves that early 1st round draft capital, and even if he was close to that level Gase and the Jets could screw it up or slow it down enough that I don't want to draft him in a rookie draft. 

I appreciate you bring up ho some good points and trying to find some holes in this.  I think it has to be carefully used because it's too easy to think we know better.  

The main usage for this year is probably just if Ruggs goes number 11 to the Jets.  Ruggs isn't a Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones or AJ Green type of can't miss type of prospect that deserves that early 1st round draft capital, and even if he was close to that level Gase and the Jets could screw it up or slow it down enough that I don't want to draft him in a rookie draft. 
Yeah, nothing personal. Just have to stress test ideas like this. I do agree with you that Ruggs screams overvalued. 

What meno was talking about was just 1st vs 2nd round picks thats true.

Another way to look at this would be to consider the order the WR are drafted regardless of round and Kupp was the 7th WR selected that year.

Its still maybe too soon to judge these players careers yet, which is why I suggested looking at guys from 5 or more years ago.

I recall workdog did a career VBD analysis where he structured it this way instead of by draft round. There were some spikes there that show just the randomness of doing it that way, but I found it interesting.

Here is what that looked like for the WR.

This data is 5 years old now, so it covers the time frame I think we are interested in.
OK, let's start with 2015 and go back to 1990.  That gives us a 25 year sample size, and allows for any late bloomers.  Broken into groups of 32 (the average draft round), here are the number of WR's who have reached WR1 status:

1-32 - 38 of 104 = 36.5% hit rate
33-64 - 25 of 109 = 22.9% hit rate
65-96 - 15 of 115 = 13.0% hit rate
97 & later - 19 of 493 = 3.9% hit rate

If we include those who reached WR2 status...

1-32 - 59 of 104 = 56.7% hit rate
33-64 - 39 of 109 = 35.8% hit rate
65-96 - 28 of 115 = 24.3% hit rate
97 & later - 31 of 493 = 6.3% hit rate

If we include those who reached WR3 status...

1-32 - 75 of 104 = 72.1% hit rate
33-64 - 45 of 109 = 41.3% hit rate
65-96 - 37 of 115 = 32.2% hit rate
97 & later - 52 of 493 = 10.5% hit rate

It's very obvious that 1st rounders do better than 2nd rounders overall, that 2nd does better than 3rd, and so on.  One thing to keep in mind though - the earlier a WR is drafted, the better he is expected to do.  If you are a 1st round pick and only make it to WR3 in your career, you are considered a fantasy bust.  A guy like Mohamed Sanu isn't looked at as a bust, even though his highest fantasy finish in 8 years is WR29.  That's because he was drafted at the end of the 3rd round.

FYI - Jeudy & Lamb both measured in at 6'1" and under 200 lbs.  In the last 10 years, only 1 WR at least 6'1" and under 200 has been a WR1 - Marvin Jones (6'2", 199).  These 2 either need to put on a few pounds, or start shrinking.

FYI - Jeudy & Lamb both measured in at 6'1" and under 200 lbs.  In the last 10 years, only 1 WR at least 6'1" and under 200 has been a WR1 - Marvin Jones (6'2", 199).  These 2 either need to put on a few pounds, or start shrinking.
I understand there has to be some arbitrary cut off but have any 201 pound WRs accomplished it? Sometimes we create these parameters that really don’t mean as much as we make them out to be - especially when a player’s weight can fluctuate during the course of the season. It’s  not like these guys ever (where it’s announced to the public) get weighed after the combine. Different fantasy football websites can have the same guy listed at 198, 201 and 205. We see that all the time. 

How many of those guys in the last 10 years had similar draft capital? 

Slicing it up that way leaves so much context on the table that it's nearly worthless. 

You're over analyzing it IMO. 

This is why I ask if a lanky WR typically puts on 10 pounds of muscle. I am sure they are weighed at the start of camp by the teams, but what they disclose to the public is up to them.

Davante Adams gained 3 pounds since his combine 6 years ago...
I think it's logical that boys turning into men that are now subject to professional trainers and have all offseason to work on their bodies add some mass. I'm not sure that it would be ten pounds but 5 pounds seems logical. I guess the main point though is when we look at these "trends" we draw arbitrary cutoff points like 200 pounds. That's a nice round number but what does it really mean? Is there really a meaningful difference between 198 and 202 pounds? The second point I'm making is I do not think we really know what weight these players are at during the course of the season. Should the Week 5 stats when a guy is at 201 be looked at differently in Week 8 when he's 199 and then again in Week 16 when he's at 200?

I think it's logical that boys turning into men that are now subject to professional trainers and have all offseason to work on their bodies add some mass. I'm not sure that it would be ten pounds but 5 pounds seems logical. I guess the main point though is when we look at these "trends" we draw arbitrary cutoff points like 200 pounds. That's a nice round number but what does it really mean? Is there really a meaningful difference between 198 and 202 pounds? The second point I'm making is I do not think we really know what weight these players are at during the course of the season. Should the Week 5 stats when a guy is at 201 be looked at differently in Week 8 when he's 199 and then again in Week 16 when he's at 200?
This is why its called silly season. 

I was simply running the numbers to show both WR's were on the light side.  They are young, and I fully expect them to add weight as they age.  Now, if they were 180 pounds, I would be concerned.
No worries, I appreciate you contributions.  I think I overanalyzed a bit last year and am trying to hit the sweet spot this year.   Trying to find where exactly that is, and I appreciate the discussions. 

No worries, I appreciate you contributions.  I think I overanalyzed a bit last year and am trying to hit the sweet spot this year.   Trying to find where exactly that is, and I appreciate the discussions. 
One of my FF downfalls is I put too much stock in stats.  I am almost robotic when I draft.  My teams usually end up doing well, but they are very vanilla.  Maybe this year I will draft more with my gut and see how it goes.

I expected faster from Jeudy, had no idea on Lamb. 

I think this just helps break the tie for Lamb a little over Jeudy, but doesn't mean all that much. 

The only concern with either player would be not getting top 15 draft capital. 

Users who are viewing this thread