What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the lowest denomination of coin you're willing to pick up off the ground? (1 Viewer)

How old are you?

• 20 and under

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-40

Votes: 30 14.4%
  • 41-50

Votes: 115 55.3%
  • 51-60

Votes: 54 26.0%
  • 61+

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
In all sincerity, the answer might be none simply because I very, very rarely carry any cash at all anymore. 

I guess my kids are into their piggy banks now, so maybe. The denomination isn’t really a factor. 

I'll usually pick up any coin, although the pennies are often forgotten about immediately. Have they tried to get rid of it yet? 

Depends on the condition of the ground and if my hands are free / not carrying a backpack or something.

If clean ground, I'm foot loose and fancy free I'll pick up anything for the good luck factor.

If a quarter is on the ground I'll almost always pick it up. That that is a free game of "Discs of Tron" or "Bump and Jump" is too engrained in my memory.

Afraid I'll throw out my back reaching for a nickel.  But I'm pretty cheap, I usually risk it.  30 years ago I'd be picking up anything including shiny rocks.

I pickup pennies, but pass on nickels and dimes.    I have a strange connection to "lucky pennies" that I find on the ground.  I picked up some in past years and told myself they were "lucky pennies" and always ended up having something positive happen that day.  Totally ridiculous, I'm aware, but I go with it.

I've found two quarters in the Aldi parking lot over the years. And I've only been there maybe 15 times total. I think it's the fat people who drop their cart quarter are unable to bend down to pick it up. Yay me. 

True Story.

Interesting topic for me. I’m a letter carrier and I walk about a dozen miles a day out there. I pick up any money I find on the street and keep it, except pennies. I have a jar on my dresser that I put it in, and at the end of the year I bring it to the coin star machine with my kids. I usually get an Amazon gift card and use it for Christmas shopping. It’s usually 80 or 90 bucks. 

I regularly throw pennies out.  They have negative value worth the effort.

If your bill at the store comes to $10.01, you pay with a twenty, and the clerk (who makes $10/hour) takes an extra 20 seconds to count out and hand you $9.99 instead of just giving you a ten dollar bill - someone just paid her $0.06 to save a penny.

It costs more than a penny to make a penny.  In 2018 taxpayers lost 85 million dollars in making pennies.

Get rid of all the pennies, and nickels and dimes for that matter.

Firmly anti-penny.

I’ll pick up any coin. I worked for a construction company in high school and college, my job was to keep the sites clean. If the general contractor or any of the subs got a flat tire from a nail or screw I felt like I dropped the ball in keeping the site clean. So I was constantly picking up the dropped nails, loose screws, and sheet metal bits. 

Years late I still can’t walk down the street and see a screw or nail and not stop to pick it up. Might save my tire, my wife’s, or the neighbor’d.

was going to say any silver, but of course i've picked up pennies before.  but i've also left them.  usually i pick them up and hand them to my son (he has a huge jar of coins).  but all of it depends the conditions of where the coins are laying.

Half dollars and dollars just because they are fairly rare to see. I mean, how often do you see these coins being passed around? It would be a novelty to me.

Depends on the location and what the floor looks like. Anything under a quarter is not worth the carrying cost and honestly, a quarter is really pushing it.

I regularly leave change laying on the counter at corner stores.   Basically anything less than 15-20 cents, I don’t even bother keeping, unless my kids are with me.  We should round all prices to the nearest 25 cents.

I said a quarter but I don't remember the last time I actually saw one on the ground. 

If your bill at the store comes to $10.01, you pay with a twenty, and the clerk (who makes $10/hour) takes an extra 20 seconds to count out and hand you $9.99 instead of just giving you a ten dollar bill - someone just paid her $0.06 to save a penny.
If you had kept one penny to give her, you would have gotten a ten back and saved everyone time and money.

Get rid of all the pennies, and nickels and dimes for that matter
Prices displayed should have tax already included.  Then it'd be easy to get rid of the small coins.  It would raise productivity since cashiers waste a lot of time on giving and counting change.  Most countries do it this way.  Some countries only have paper money.  I love not having to carry any coins.

would raise productivity since cashiers waste a lot of time on giving and counting change
It would not. This assumes that customers have distinct and constant patterns for when they would check out and that the stores are limited in the number of customers they can serve due to checkout backup. 

You arent going to have a cashier quick check somebody out and not have to count change (phew that was easy!!!) and then run and do an inventory and return just in time to check out the next cash paying customer. 

So sure maybe during peak times you might save a customer or two with one item that decided not to wait in line, but wont be common. 

Most grocery stores i go to have the coin thing anyway. 

I pick up all coins. Throw them into my coffee can in the garage where I throw all my loose change all year. About the first of December we take that and any change the kids have accumulated in their donate jars and head to the bank to cash them in.

We usually get about $200 or so, and we sit down as a family and decide who we are going to donate the money to. Works out great and teaches the kids a good lesson.

If you had kept one penny to give her, you would have gotten a ten back and saved everyone time and money.
Or we can just do away with this nonsense. Searching around in my pockets for a penny?  I make a lot more than $10/hour. One second makes it not worth my time. 

I voted dime, but after thinking about it further... I"m only picking up that dime in optimal conditions (dry, clean)  and the real answer is probably quarter.

It costs more than a penny to make a penny.  In 2018 taxpayers lost 85 million dollars in making pennies.

Get rid of all the pennies, and nickels and dimes for that matter.

Firmly anti-penny.
Preach man..  I feel like we should be definitely at the point in society where nickel is the smallest coin.. and frankly dime would be better than that even.

Half dollars and dollars just because they are fairly rare to see. I mean, how often do you see these coins being passed around? It would be a novelty to me.
Had to include them but there are so few in circulation. I've never seen one dropped/lost on the ground.

Lol I forgot that my wife and I used to play a game when went on walks after work. We would see who could find the most loose change while walking. If you saw it you called it and I would pick it up for her. Whoever had the most at the end of the walk won. Many walks were won .01 to 0 or .10 to .05. One time she found a dollar bill and I thought I would never here the end of her victory from that walk. It was maybe a month later I found a twenty. I love to bring it up occasionally by asking her if she remembers that time we were walking and I found that twenty.

Users who are viewing this thread