What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Van Plows Through Trump Voter Booth Signup Tent? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Last one from today from my Conservative friends with the "I"m sure your board is upset about this LOL" thing.

Why Isn't the Violent Attack Against Florida GOP Volunteers a Huge National Story?  Again, this is Townhall so I wouldn't expect it to be unbiased. 

But it does seem to have happened. From Jacksonville.com 

Obviously, nobody here would condone something like this. That's obvious. But I do wonder when they ask if our board would give the same consideration to someone plowing through a Bernie Sanders voter registration tent. 

The reason why it's not a huge national story is because it wasn't a violent attack. Simple as that.

It's not even the top story in Jacksonville right now.

The reason why it's not a huge national story is because it wasn't a violent attack. Simple as that.

It's not even the top story in Jacksonville right now.

You don't think driving a van through a tent is violent?

From NBC

A Florida man was arrested Saturday and accused of driving his van through a tent where a local Republican group was registering voters, authorities and officials said.

Gregory William Loel Timm faces multiple charges after witnesses said he drove a van into a Republican Party tent in a Walmart parking lot in Jacksonville, Florida.Jacksonville Sheriff's Office

The Republican Party of Duval County said it had set up the voter drive Saturday at a shopping center in Sandalwood, a neighborhood of Jacksonville.

At 2:45 p.m., the group tweeted, a van accelerated into a crowd of volunteers, "intentionally" targeting them. Nobody was injured.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't driving a van through a tent is violent?

From NBC
Certainly the intent appears to be, but as the article link notes "Nobody was injured" (thank God). 

I think the lack on injuries combined with no information as to the motive of the driver yet released has kept the press from running with the story. 

We assume he was targeting Trump supporters and this was politically motivated rather than being some random act of a crazy person, but we don't know. People in the other thread have already pointed the finger at "Dangerous rhetoric from the left" as being responsible but IMO that is premature until we hear more (seeing his social media accounts, interviews with neighbors, friends, co-workers etc.).

The media never runs with these stories.  Last week a Bernie supporter rammed the gates of Mar-a-Lago with her car and it was barely covered.   

Last one from today from my Conservative friends with the "I"m sure your board is upset about this LOL" thing.

Why Isn't the Violent Attack Against Florida GOP Volunteers a Huge National Story?  Again, this is Townhall so I wouldn't expect it to be unbiased. 

Obviously, nobody here would condone something like this. That's obvious. But I do wonder when they ask if our board would give the same consideration to someone plowing through a Bernie Sanders voter registration tent. 
Thankfully no one was hurt, because he drove up slowly and then apparently accelerated into it once he was in/through the people there.  

It was brought up in the "unreasonable reaction" thread.  I don't think anyone has defended it or suggested that it should have happened.  Everyone has universally condemned it to my knowledge.  

The media never runs with these stories.  Last week a Bernie supporter rammed the gates of Mar-a-Lago with her car and it was barely covered.   
Way to live up to the stereotype of foreign women can't drive Melania. 

I kid, I kid. 

Obviously this is a horrible story.  I honestly don't know how anyone but the clinically insane would think otherwise.  T&Ps all effected. 

Certainly the intent appears to be, but as the article link notes "Nobody was injured" (thank God). 

I think the lack on injuries combined with no information as to the motive of the driver yet released has kept the press from running with the story. 

We assume he was targeting Trump supporters and this was politically motivated rather than being some random act of a crazy person, but we don't know. People in the other thread have already pointed the finger at "Dangerous rhetoric from the left" as being responsible but IMO that is premature until we hear more (seeing his social media accounts, interviews with neighbors, friends, co-workers etc.).
Back up this reply.....how many people pointed the finger at “dangerous rhetoric from the left”. Just ridiculous 

No intent or motive? The guy stopped to admire his work and flipped off the crowd.

It meets the legal definition of "violent crime" because he was charged with aggravated assault. But from a national media point of view, this isn't considered to be a "violent attack" because no one was injured.

Back up this reply.....how many people pointed the finger at “dangerous rhetoric from the left”. Just ridiculous 
I thought you were a regular in the Trump HQ 2020 thread:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/776645-trump-2020-hq-the-great-place/page/322/

9 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

Hopefully he gets his felony record before 11/3.  

Dangerous rhetoric from the left has consequences.  Glad everyone is okay.  This loon belongs off the streets forever.  

It's a bad occurrence, unacceptable behavior if intentional.

I also think it's interesting that your Conservative friends' instinct is to coincidentally wonder whether people they don't know on your board are upset about it. When stuff like this goes down, I can't say I've ever wondered what the conservatives on this board thought when I'm not actively reading/posting here - much less what people on some other social exchange I never visit are/aren't saying.

Yep, and you are still incorrect. You said people....like plural. Got it? 
I stand corrected, it was just knowledge dropper, who is the OP who started the thread originally that said that (yet none of the regular posters seemed to disagree with his statement or took issue with it). 

There are always going to be crazies on all sides, and this is obviously one of them. Why is it bigger news in recent years when it’s a conservative crazy? Because President Trump has made speeches in which he has either largely hinted at or seemed to outright encourage violence against his opponents, including murder. Have any major Democratic politicians offered a similar kind of irresponsible rhetoric? If they had, this would likely be a much bigger story. (Of course if anyone had been hurt it would have been much bigger as well.) 

There are always going to be crazies on all sides, and this is obviously one of them. Why is it bigger news in recent years when it’s a conservative crazy? Because President Trump has made speeches in which he has either largely hinted at or seemed to outright encourage violence against his opponents, including murder. Have any major Democratic politicians offered a similar kind of irresponsible rhetoric? If they had, this would likely be a much bigger story. (Of course if anyone had been hurt it would have been much bigger as well.) 
Obama... Dallas

He had a chance to bring the country together and instead used his address to the nation to fan tensions. That night a black man killed 5 police officers and wanted to kill "white cops".  

You guys love to loosely link Trump to anything bad that happens but won't do the same when it's Obama.   
Refresh my memory, how did his address to the nation fan tensions?

He had a chance to bring the country together and instead used his address to the nation to fan tensions. That night a black man killed 5 police officers and wanted to kill "white cops".  

You guys love to loosely link Trump to anything bad that happens but won't do the same when it's Obama.   
Edited because my comment wasn’t productive or helpful to the discussion.

It’s not just that nobody condones this.  Everybody replying is condemning it.  

So why isn’t this more of a story?  Because so far there isn’t much to say.  A dude ran his van into a tent.  Nobody is injured.  His motive isn’t super clear.  He might have an agenda, or he might just be unhinged.

What we do know is that a) this stuff shouldn’t happen, b) it isn’t an acceptable way to make a political statement, c) he deserves to be punished, d) nobody is defending or supporting him, e) no politician called for violence against Trump supporters.

What are folks expecting?

Can we please have a moratorium on “hypothetical hypocrisy”? There is no rhetorical tactic I find more annoying: I am going to create a hypothetical, then I am going to imagine what my political opponents would do in said hypothetical. And then, on the basis of events that have taken place entirely in my own mind, I am going to condemn those opponents for their blatant inconsistencies. It’s a straw man on steroids.

Criticize people on the basis of what they have actually said and done. This isn’t Minority Report, and you are not a pre-cog. (And even if you are a pre-cog, you completely misunderstood the point of the movie.)

Obama remarks following Alton Sterling and Philandro Castile shootings

This was on July 7, 2016, several hours before the 2016 shooting of Dallas police officers. Helpfully, a full transcript is included.

The reader may decide for themselves if the @Max Power description is accurate.

Thankfully no one was hurt, because he drove up slowly and then apparently accelerated into it once he was in/through the people there.  

It was brought up in the "unreasonable reaction" thread.  I don't think anyone has defended it or suggested that it should have happened.  Everyone has universally condemned it to my knowledge.  
Except for the "maybe just bad drivers" or "he should be shot" jokes. And that's just on this page. :sigh: 

This event barely even registered in the media.  I had absolutely no idea it happened until this afternoon, and even then it wasn't a big thing in my feed.  This is more of a "media bias" story than a "your board is hypocritical" story.  

People calling out politicians yet for not condemning this attack? 
And to be fair, I don't like that angle either. It's unbelievably tiring to think you have to condemn every action from "your side" that's wrong. 

I'm not even sure what I was hoping for here. It just seemed interesting to me it wasn't getting much attention. 

Can we please have a moratorium on “hypothetical hypocrisy”? There is no rhetorical tactic I find more annoying: I am going to create a hypothetical, then I am going to imagine what my political opponents would do in said hypothetical. And then, on the basis of events that have taken place entirely in my own mind, I am going to condemn those opponents for their blatant inconsistencies. It’s a straw man on steroids.

Criticize people on the basis of what they have actually said and done. This isn’t Minority Report, and you are not a pre-cog. (And even if you are a pre-cog, you completely misunderstood the point of the movie.)
Gabby Giffords was shot by a lunatic who thought that grammar was objectively evil, and the media couldn't pin it on Republicans fast enough.  Unfortunately we don't need to resort to hypotheticals for this sort of thing.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm arguing that blowing a story out of proportion is a bad thing, and it would be bad for the media to not make this guy-plows-through-Republicans story into a narrative that unfairly paints Democrats as psychotic violent extremists.  It would be nice if they didn't do that when the parties are reversed.

Users who are viewing this thread