Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Bryant

Arthur Brooks At National Prayer Breakfast Last Week

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/07/arthur-brooks-national-prayer-breakfast-speech/?arc404=true

If you know me, you know I like Brooks and I like his attitude on how contempt for the "other" side can be so destructive. I thought he did an excellent job with this. 

It's a fascinating talk given President Trump was a few feet away from him. And Trump acknowledged the difficulty of accepting what Brooks is saying. I just thought it was interesting. 

29 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Is this just wishful thinking? 

There’s some things in life that are worthy of our contempt.  People should focus it on the behavior and not the individual though.

It’s a good message to be sure. So good, I thought about sharing it with several friends and loved ones who regularly display contempt in their on-line postings. But then I realized that showing them this article is really just a criticism of their behavior and how they comport themselves. It’s just me climbing up on my high horse and telling them that their actions are unproductive at best and un-Christlike at worst. And how is that going to be productive in any way?  Instead, I’ll just do as Brooks said and look for opportunities to respond to contempt with love. But I’m already a person who is not prone to displays of contempt. So in that regard, Brooks is sort of preaching to the choir. Not sure I really have a point here to be honest.

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

It’s a good message to be sure. So good, I thought about sharing it with several friends and loved ones who regularly display contempt in their on-line postings. But then I realized that showing them this article is really just a criticism of their behavior and how they comport themselves. It’s just me climbing up on my high horse and telling them that their actions are unproductive at best and un-Christlike at worst. And how is that going to be productive in any way?  Instead, I’ll just do as Brooks said and look for opportunities to respond to contempt with love. But I’m already a person who is not prone to displays of contempt. So in that regard, Brooks is sort of preaching to the choir. Not sure I really have a point here to be honest. 

Same. Now try being a church leader and dealing with this. 

I have a heavy bag in my house I punch a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Same. Now try being a church leader and dealing with this. 

I have a heavy bag in my house I punch a lot.

The pugilistic pastor!

• Like 1