What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My wife wants a dog, help! (1 Viewer)

If you would give your wife a little love and attention every now and then maybe she wouldn't feel such a strong need for canine companionship.  Show a little appreciation... 

Hmmm...maybe I could talk my wife into getting a dog?

Dogs are awesome.  Been married 20 years and had 4 of them.

But if you're looking to convince her otherwise, let me share some of the cons.  Traveling or coming home late is very difficult.  You either need some family member to help you out or have to pay someone to do it.  1st 2 dogs were small and my mom could watch them.  Current 2 dogs are big and mom is older now.  So we have to pay someone whenever we travel. 

Dogs are pretty damn expensive.  Few hundred (or more) but to buy them.  Even if you're adopting a rescue. 

Vet bills are crazy high, even for the normal visits.  Some day the dog will be old and you'll be attached to it you'll spend even more to keep it alive.

Dog food, toys and so on, all cost.

You'll have to spend time (and possibly money) to train the dog, assuming you don't get one that is already trained.  Might have to say goodbye to your nice carpet or nice things if the dogs decides to destroy them during that process.

If you don't have a fenced yard, you'll have to walk the dog on the regular.  That includes in the rain, in the cold, in the snow.  And if you are lucky enough to have a fenced yard, get rid to pick up dog ####.

Even though your wife (and kids if you have them) will say they'll take care of the dog, it would not shock me if you end up being the main person training and taking care of the dog.  I was the guy who didn't want a dog and my family finally wore me down.  And yes, I take them to every vet appointment.  I am the main person training the dogs.  And I do a lot of the daily stuff for them (although the kids and wife do feed, etc too).

If you end up like me and get a dog, there are a lot of positives to it too.  I've been really lucky with the dogs I've had and they've brought a lot of joy to our family.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

One thought to try is being a rescue home. You are assigned a dog while they are going thru the process of waiting for rescue and the approval of their new family. This way you have control over when you have a dog (you can pass it off when you have a vacation approaching.) I have some friends that do it, and they like doing it. If you want to 'test the waters' this may be a good way to see if you like it!

I would love to get a dog.   Always had a dog growing up.  But our schedules really dont allow for it. (wife works long hours)

Wife and I both work, kids is involved in multiple sports that require us away many weekends.  

Yeah we could hire someone - but leaving a dog home for 9-10 hours every day just seems mean.

I'm sure its better than a shelter but it just seems mean

Dogs are awesome.  Been married 20 years and had 4 of them.

But if you're looking to convince her otherwise, let me share some of the cons.  Traveling or coming home late is very difficult.  You either need some family member to help you out or have to pay someone to do it.  1st 2 dogs were small and my mom could watch them.  Current 2 dogs are big and mom is older now.  So we have to pay someone whenever we travel. 

Dogs are pretty damn expensive.  Few hundred (or more) but to buy them.  Even if you're adopting a rescue. 

Vet bills are crazy high, even for the normal visits.  Some day the dog will be old and you'll be attached to it you'll spend even more to keep it alive.

Dog food, toys and so on, all cost.

You'll have to spend time (and possibly money) to train the dog, assuming you don't get one that is already trained.  Might have to say goodbye to your nice carpet or nice things if the dogs decides to destroy them during that process.

If you don't have a fenced yard, you'll have to walk the dog on the regular.  That includes in the rain, in the cold, in the snow.  And if you are lucky enough to have a fenced yard, get rid to pick up dog ####.

Even though your wife (and kids if you have them) will say they'll take care of the dog, it would not shock me if you end up being the main person training and taking care of the dog.  I was the guy who didn't want a dog and my family finally wore me down.  And yes, I take them to every vet appointment.  I am the main person training the dogs.  And I do a lot of the daily stuff for them (although the kids and wife do feed, etc too).

If you end up like me and get a dog, there are a lot of positives to it too.  I've been really lucky with the dogs I've had and they've brought a lot of joy to our family.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
:goodposting:

Lifestyle changes can be expected. I've had from 1 to as many as 6 dogs at one time (rescues) and I can't see making that kind of commitment again. 

As an adult, I’ve raised and buried 4 dogs. Stella, my 5th will be my last. Just can’t bare the pain again. Stella is hands down the best dog I’ve ever had and it’s not close. 

My wife wants a lab after Stella passes. (Stella is a Presa Canaria and doesn’t get along with other dogs) I’ve told her that she can get whatever she wants as long as she understands that I want nothing to do with it. I especially will not participate in taking the dog to the vet so they can put it down, I won’t dig the hole to bury it. I’m only doing it one more time. 

Dogs are awesome but I think I'm done after our current 2 pass on.  When that happens I anticipate traveling more and unless I can convince my wife to have a dog to travel with us then we will most likely be pet-free. 

Dogs are awesome but I think I'm done after our current 2 pass on.  When that happens I anticipate traveling more and unless I can convince my wife to have a dog to travel with us then we will most likely be pet-free. 
Same boat.  Love our little mutt, but she is a lot of work.  Once she passes, I would rather go back to being that person that loves to visit people with dogs and get my fill that way.

Looking at your avatar, it seems she already has one.  

I love dogs.  I like cats.  I tolerate little kids.  I just don't want to take care of any of them any more.  Have her volunteer at a shelter.  Kind of a rent-a-dog thing.

This is us as well.  It'll likely be in the next 2-3 years, at best. 

As an adult, I’ve raised and buried 4 dogs. Stella, my 5th will be my last. Just can’t bare the pain again. Stella is hands down the best dog I’ve ever had and it’s not close. 

My wife wants a lab after Stella passes. (Stella is a Presa Canaria and doesn’t get along with other dogs) I’ve told her that she can get whatever she wants as long as she understands that I want nothing to do with it. I especially will not participate in taking the dog to the vet so they can put it down, I won’t dig the hole to bury it. I’m only doing it one more time. 
Cremation, if available, is the best option.  I’ve done the dig a few times and relate to the added emotional toll.  You get your dog “back” and they stay home forever with cremation.  I’m enough of a sap that occasionally I’ll catch the urn out of the corner of my eye and have to stop and say “hi baby...I miss you”

How do I convince her it's a bad idea??

:wall:
Has she had a dog? If not, tell her you have to follow them around with little plastic gloves and bags and pick up their fresh, hot, steaming piles of #### and then carry them around with your until you find a place to dispose them. And also that you need to make plans for them every time you leave the house for an extended period of time. That's all it ever took for me.

It's like any other pet. Everyone in the house gets all excited about the new pet....they promise to help....blah blah blah.....

6 months from now you'll be cleaning  stinky rat cage dog poop out of the yard and being pissed off about it and you'll yell at the kids and wife to help and they help once but then it's back to you taking care of it......

And you'll be taking care of a rat dog that if you are lucky will run around on a wheel once in a while chasing its tail so you can be mildly entertained while taking a bong hit.

But at the end of the day, it's a rat dog. You'll be taking care of it. For 10-15 years. 

I have said that 3 times.  When my Yellow Lab passed away 5 years ago I said that's it, I can`t take the pain because she was the best dog and I loved that dog to no end.   A couple months later My wife and daughters go to Traverse City in Northern MI for what they said was a girls weekend.  They walk in the house on Sunday night with an 8 week old Yellow Lab puppy.

I was so pissed that I acted like I did not want or like the puppy.  Within one day I was carrying her around like a child. As I type she is laying under my desk with her head on my foot.  I don`t know what I would do without her.    Now she is the best dog ever

When traveling, we have had great luck with LaQuinta hotels. They are pet-friendly, but don't smell like it, and don't require a deposit.

Cremation, if available, is the best option.  I’ve done the dig a few times and relate to the added emotional toll.  You get your dog “back” and they stay home forever with cremation.  I’m enough of a sap that occasionally I’ll catch the urn out of the corner of my eye and have to stop and say “hi baby...I miss you”
I fell for that cremation trick the first time. You options are basically - do want us to throw your dog in a pile of other pets, freeze your dog or buy this beautiful little magic wooden urn with a gold nameplate. That emotional tug on my heartstrings cost me $599!!!!

In all seriousness I have found that the process of digging the hole is extremely therapeutic. It’s a lot of work, swearing at god and crying, but it really speeds up the grieving process. We have a good amount of land. I’ve buried them all next to each other (including the first one we got cremated when his buddy passed). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have said that 3 times.  When my Yellow Lab passed away 5 years ago I said that's it, I can`t take the pain because she was the best dog and I loved that dog to no end.   A couple months later My wife and daughters go to Traverse City in Northern MI for what they said was a girls weekend.  They walk in the house on Sunday night with an 8 week old Yellow Lab puppy.

I was so pissed that I acted like I did not want or like the puppy.  Within one day I was carrying her around like a child. As I type she is laying under my desk with her head on my foot.  I don`t know what I would do without her.    Now she is the best dog ever
"The purest love in the world is the love between a middle aged man and the pet he said he didn't want."

By lying?  Dogs are the best.  

Everyone should be greeted at the door by someone who is so happy to see them they might just explode with joy.  I have yet to find a human who can match a dog's exuberance for my presence even once, much less every day for life.
I love when someone gets home and I'm home with the dog.  She runs to the big picture window in the front to look out, full body tail wag in action.  Then, when she sees them get out of the car and walk towards the door, she frantically looks for a toy to bring to the door to meet them with.  If, god forbid, there isn't a toy easily found, she races around the house at full speed.  If the door opens before she finds one, she does the cartoon stop and change direction on the wood floors (you know, the running at full speed motion without going anywhere) back to the door.

"The purest love in the world is the love between a middle aged man and the pet he said he didn't want."
I laughed when I read this because even though she is friendly with everyone without a doubt I am her person.  My daughters get so mad they are always saying "You didn`t even want her, now she only sits by you!"

But then again I am the one who walks her everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had pets (2 dogs and a cat).  They all passed and we don't have any more pets.  They were nice for when you had them but it is much easier without them.  No worries about leaving for the weekend, no worries about having to pick up all the crap.  Save on the food bill.  It's like having a baby that never stops crapping all over the place.  Lots of attention and prevents  you from doing things spur of the moment. 

It all comes down to the lifestyle you want.  With my kids almost out of the house and retirement on the horizon there is no way I want to be limited by a pet.  It's just not how I want to spend my time.

I laughed when I read this because even though she is friendly with everyone without a doubt I am her person.  My daughters get so mad they are always saying "You didn`t even want her, now she only sits by you!"

But then again I am the one who walks her everyday.
An animal knows when you want something from it.  Especially a dog.  You, however, provided food, shelter, and care from the beginning without expecting or even wanting anything at all from her.

If there was someone in your life like that, you'd probably feel pretty strongly about him or her, too.

By lying?  Dogs are the best.  

Everyone should be greeted at the door by someone who is so happy to see them they might just explode with joy.  I have yet to find a human who can match a dog's exuberance for my presence even once, much less every day for life.
You're not paying your hookers enough.

You’re right which is why I hope she doesn’t get one. 

And a doggy door with a fenced in yard is an absolute must; makes dog ownership so much easier.    There's no worrying about having to get home by a certain time.    When I'm on vaca, I usually just have my neighbor stop in every day just to make sure everyone has food and water, but I think I'm gonna try a service where someone shows up every day for 30 minutes for $25/day to see how that goes.   I can still use the neighbor but I'm really just curious how that plays out as I think long term about traveling more once I retire.   

As empty nesters, no way I want a pet.  We get p and go when we want. Don't have to worry about how long we're away. Don't have to walk anything. And we don't have to worry about becoming one of those uber-annoying dorks that feel they have to take Fluffy with them everywhere they go no matter how inconvenient.

Users who are viewing this thread