Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
nirad3

Guinea Pigs - thoughts?

27 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

I've got 3.  They smell despite a weekly cage cleaning.  They're not people friendly and will not show any affection despite our best efforts to win them over.  One doesn't get along with the other two which has resulted in needing a separate cage.  They're expensive.  They eat and #### all day.  They live to be 5 or 6 which means you've got a decent length commitment.  Other than that they're great pets.  

Honestly, I think you're better off getting a pet rat or hamster. They're much more people friendly, less costly, and less smelly.  

If you do decide to get guinea pigs, I'd suggest at least 2 and make sure they're all female. 

See now I heard just the opposite - that guinea pigs ARE people friendly, unlike hamsters (which wife and I had before).

Gah, after reading all this I am on the fence.  

3 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

See now I heard just the opposite - that guinea pigs ARE people friendly, unlike hamsters (which wife and I had before).

Get off the fence......just say no.  Seem like way more work than they are worth

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Depends on the gp individual. Like people all are different. I had 1 that started out ok then hid more. I have one that is friendly but it's on their terms or you will get a bite. They are not like cats and dogs.

2 minutes ago, Gally said:

Get off the fence......just say no.  Seem like way more work than they are worth

You truly have to have a love for them and I don't see that with the OP..

11 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

9 months of giving my two pigs a carrot twice a day, they still hate being picked up and run anytime I try. Those YouTube videos showing guinea pigs being friendly with your pets and part of the family are CGI.

• Laughing 3

2 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

On my bucket list to try one. They give you any dipping sauces with it? 

Pretty sure mine was deep fried, well seasoned with salt garlic and I think cumin.  It was served with corn and aji (hot sauce).  You eat it with your hands.  It falls somewhere between rabbit and chicken on the flavor scale, but a bit stronger I suppose gamey flavor.  

1 hour ago, Bogart said:

9 months of giving my two pigs a carrot twice a day, they still hate being picked up and run anytime I try. Those YouTube videos showing guinea pigs being friendly with your pets and part of the family are CGI.

Too much carrot/vit A. 1 baby carrot per pig max a day. At least do bell peppers and non iceberg lettuce daily.

1 minute ago, CurlyNight said:

Too much carrot/vit A. 1 baby carrot per pig max a day. At least do bell peppers and non iceberg lettuce daily.

Agreed. These are little carrot pieces that I hand feed them. Think of a baby carrot shaved into forths. In their bowl I put lettuce, some kale and when I don't have those bell peppers (the little Fers are picky about which peppers). This is on top of the constant grass (special grass because I'm allergic to Timothy Hay) and the kibble that I keep out. They eat better than my kids do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bogart said:

Agreed. These are little carrot pieces that I hand feed them. Think of a baby carrot shaved into forths. In their bowl I put lettuce, some kale and when I don't have those bell peppers (the little Fers are picky about which peppers). This is on top of the constant grass (special grass because I'm allergic to Timothy Hay) and the kibble that I keep out. They eat better than my kids do.

Watch with the kale though. That should be an occasional treat if they are 6 mo and up. Way too much calcium for them, and possible stones as a result.

• Thanks 1

For those of you that say gps stink. They don't. But if you don't spot clean the cage (vacuum or scoop) up their excrements then it will smell. I have 1 gp right now literally inches from me at eye level. Her kitchen/litter area is right next to me. 0 odor. Also look at the litter you're using. Carefresh small pet litter is the best for absorption and odor control. Well worth the price.

Daily maintenance and weekly total cleaning will do wonders for them and your nose and eyes.

2 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

On my bucket list to try one. They give you any dipping sauces with it? 

:lmao:  dipping sauces.. :lmao:  

it was cooked in a really nice, stew like thin gravy.  as posted above, a lot of work for the return.

2 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

:lmao:  dipping sauces.. :lmao:  

it was cooked in a really nice, stew like thin gravy.  as posted above, a lot of work for the return.

The ones for meat are cuys, not pet gps.

The ones for meat are cuys, not pet gps.

correct.  still looks like a giant gp.  not trying to ruffle any feathers.  it was a when in rome, moment.

1 minute ago, DA RAIDERS said:

correct.  still looks like a giant gp.  not trying to ruffle any feathers.  it was a when in rome, moment.

Doesn't bother me. I'm an animal lover and big on advocacy but I'm surprisingly not a vegan. I eat meat. As long as I don't see the slaughter and processeing I'm good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurlyNight said:

They should be in pairs. With 3 there is an odd man out, especially with males.

Females have a minuses too. 75% will develop ovarian cysts. When they get large they can burst and instantly kill them. Or you can get them spayed but unlike neutering, it's much riskier and more difficult. My exotic vet has done 2. I found one that has done more. Cat and dog spaying is not hard. Not the case for gps. Mine have small cysts felt upon their physical exam. That's why it's important to take them for an annual check so things like this can be caught. Finding a certified exotic vet should be the first thing you do before you get any exotics. There aren't many who are truly certified and don't just say oh I see exotics too. They are completely different than cats and dog vets.

Bottom line, there's a lot to them and are certainly not starter pets. No exotic is. A hamster lives about 2 years so shorter life. I believe it's the Syrian hamster that needs to live alone and are friendly. Otherwise they too need a buddy.

Well, we had four but one died and I'm not reupping to keep it even.  :D

Actually, the odd man out is a tyrant and has been since day one when it was just him and another.  He's the smallest of the bunch but likes to rule the roost.

BTW, if you get males, be prepared to clean spooge off the other's backs.  These guys know how to finish.  

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Captain Cranks said:

Well, we had four but one died and I'm not reupping to keep it even.  :D

Actually, the odd man out is a tyrant and has been since day one when it was just him and another.  He's the smallest of the bunch but likes to rule the roost.

BTW, if you get males, be prepared to clean spooge off the other's backs.  These guys know how to finish.  

You need to clean the anal sac. One minus with males. I couldn't do it.

Just now, DA RAIDERS said:

the last two posts should tip the scales for the OP

OP needs to think long and hard. They are not disposable pets. No pets are. You either take the committment or you don't. Personalities can change too. Know everything you're signing up for on any pet before getting it.

OP needs to think long and hard. They are not disposable pets. No pets are. You either take the committment or you don't. Personalities can change too. Know everything you're signing up for on any pet before getting it.

I'll bet a lot of money that if Nirad decides to get them he'll update us in 6 months (or less) to say it was a bad decision.  

1 minute ago, Captain Cranks said:

I'll bet a lot of money that if Nirad decides to get them he'll update us in 6 months (or less) to say it was a bad decision.  

From what he's written, I don't doubt it. Wife and kids are pressuring him without doing any real research. I've provided a lot of info here. It should create a pause. It's work and stress with their health tendencies. But I'm passionate about them and birds the most. If I wasn't I'd have a dog or cat. Much easier and less stressful. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

I'd like to see what the etc is on veggies you give. Broccoli isn't advised. Gps don't pass gas. They also don't throw up. Cruciferous veggies, spinach and other like veggies can cause bloat. No way for the gas to be relieved. It can be deadly if you have a bloated gp.

This is the chart on the guineapigcages.com forum. The yellow is what's ok to feed daily. Vitamin C is critical to receive daily. Bell peppers are the best source. They can get scurvy if difficient. Fruits have too much sugar which their systems don't process well. They aren't us. I may give a small piece of fruit occassionally. Take proper care of them and your exotic pet vet bills will be lower. My first gp I got on impulse years ago cost me around 5k in her 5 years. Found guineapigcages.com forums and quickly changed things. 

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/22156-READ-ME-Cavy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

Wow.  That chart is in eye-cramping color.  Why do people do that?

1 minute ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Wow.  That chart is in eye-cramping color.  Why do people do that?

For me it's easier. I just look at the yellows. The red means no. Color coding by frequency of feeding is easier for some. 

7 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

For me it's easier. I just look at the yellows. The red means no. Color coding by frequency of feeding is easier for some. 

It's not that the chart is colored.  It's the vibrancy of the colors.  That chart is unusable for me.  Some reasonable pastels would fix that.

49 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

It's not that the chart is colored.  It's the vibrancy of the colors.  That chart is unusable for me.  Some reasonable pastels would fix that.

I didn't create the chart. The info is valuable though as is the other forums on that site.

3 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

From what he's written, I don't doubt it. Wife and kids are pressuring him without doing any real research. I've provided a lot of info here. It should create a pause. It's work and stress with their health tendencies. But I'm passionate about them and birds the most. If I wasn't I'd have a dog or cat. Much easier and less stressful. 

I appreciate all the info you've given here, but you're jumping to conclusions.  You have no idea how much "real research" me and my wife have done.  Just because I post here doesn't mean I haven't done "real research".  This place is great for "real world" type of answers (along with schtick/fun), so that's why I posted.

So that being said, we have two little piggies as part of the family now.  Wife and kids went to go get them after school today.  

I'm sure things will be fine.  Looking forward to having them part of the family :)  

44 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I appreciate all the info you've given here, but you're jumping to conclusions.  You have no idea how much "real research" me and my wife have done.  Just because I post here doesn't mean I haven't done "real research".  This place is great for "real world" type of answers (along with schtick/fun), so that's why I posted.

So that being said, we have two little piggies as part of the family now.  Wife and kids went to go get them after school today.  

I'm sure things will be fine.  Looking forward to having them part of the family :)  

To be fair, I think I helped others too. Like I said, I have a passion for exotics so I will talk proper care, schtick or not.  I see too many cases that don't once the novelty wears off. They can live 10 years. I know one that's 13. Good luck. I hope it works out well for all.

Edited by CurlyNight

7 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

If you need to choose 2 bell peppers and lettuce. Never iceberg lettuce. 

My daughter is confused about why never to give them Iceberg. She had been told it was OK because of the high water content.

Edited by Mr. Ected

23 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

My daughter is confused about why never to give them Iceberg. She had been told it was OK because of the high water content.

Iceberg has 0 nutrients is why. A total waste. When my girl isn't drinking enough water I give her cucumbers. It's mostly water too but has a little nutrition to it.

Also iceberg lettuce is way too watery and very fibrous, causes them diarrhea. 

Edited by CurlyNight

8 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

I used to buy the 5 back of romaine and give each of them half each day.  It was kind of funny watching them eat.  

Did they ever get loose stools? I've given too much before and had to stop veggies for a week. It was a scare because it gave her a stomach ache. Wasn't eating or drinking. I wound up making critical care and syringe feeding every 3 hours or so for 24 hours before she recovered and felt better.

They are not like us to tolerate a lot of what we eat. That was the last time I did that. I thought I'd be taking her to her exotic vet that's 45 min away but thankfully I keep critical care powder in the fridge with syringes just in case she goes into stasis.

Edited by CurlyNight

2 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Did they ever get loose stools? I've given too much before and had to stop veggies for a week. It was a scare because it gave her a stomach ache. Wasn't eating or drinking. I wound up making critical care and syringe feeding every 3 hours or so for 24 hours before she recovered and felt better.

They are not like us to tolerate a lot of what we eat. That was the last time I did that. I thought I'd be taking her to her exotic vet that's 45 min away but thankfully I keep critical care powder in the fridge with syringes just in case she goes into stasis.

Geez that stinks.  Never had a loose stool problem.   In addition to the romaine, they always had grass to munch on so maybe that helped bind them up.   Other than the occasional pepper and more regularly strawberries, that's all they ate.

6 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

I didn't create the chart. The info is valuable though as is the other forums on that site.

I didn't think you had.  I just can't figure out why people do that.

These lil ladies are cute.  They are still adjusting.  They ran around their little cage a lot last night, and they were squeaking at us this morning. 

The cage we got is really best for one, so we are getting a bigger cage so they are comfortable.  

Fun.  :)

• Like 1

The truth I do not stretch or shove
When I state that the guinea pig is full of love.
I’ve also found, by actual test,
A guinea pig is the lovingest.

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

These lil ladies are cute.  They are still adjusting.  They ran around their little cage a lot last night, and they were squeaking at us this morning. 

The cage we got is really best for one, so we are getting a bigger cage so they are comfortable.  

Fun.  :)

Just for reference, my 1 female's c & c cage is 2 x 4. That's 28" x 58". For 2 females, 2 x 5 c & c cage which is 28" x 70" or of course, larger. With the hideys they need, these measurements give lots of room to do zoomies for exercise. 

Guineapigcages.com has a cage store and a fleece store which is everything else if you're interested. I got all my set up items from here since store size cages are way too small for even 1.

Etsy has lots of stuff great for gp cages. I've shopped there too.

If anyone is housing males, cages should be larger.

Edited by CurlyNight

22 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

I hear they're a delicacy in Peru

See the above for info on cuys.

Edited by CurlyNight

On 2/12/2020 at 6:55 PM, nirad3 said:

Ooops.  Hold up for a moment.  It seems that I have dropped all the respect that I had for you.  Give me a minute, I'm sure it is around here somewhere.  

Nope, can't find it.  Its all gone.